|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jody's mother do when she meets Gitano for the first time?
(a) Cooks him dinner right away.
(b) Gets very scared and starts to cry.
(c) Sends for Jody's father.
(d) Takes his packages and suitcases.
2. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he is lazy.
(b) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(c) Because he dresses with care.
(d) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
3. For whom does Billy Buck work?
(a) The city.
(b) The Tiflin family.
(d) No one -- he is a wandering worker.
4. What does Carl think Gitano has stolen from him?
(a) Old family heirlooms.
5. What topic does Grandfather bring up during his first dinner at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) His crossing the plains.
(b) His time with the Spanish army.
(c) His need for more food than most people.
(d) His love of brandy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Tiflin crying at the end of the novel?
2. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
3. Where does Gitano stay while at the Tiflin ranch?
4. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
5. What drink does Jody offer to make for his Grandfather when they are sitting on the porch discussing "westering"?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)