|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Carl's character first described?
(a) As a silly, fun-loving father.
(b) As a disciplinarian.
(c) As an outgoing community leader.
(d) As a religious man.
2. How does Jody feel when Carl and Billy are taking him out to show him his pony for the first time?
(a) Mad because he wanted a bike instead.
(b) Angry at having to get up so early.
3. Where are pigs prepared for slaughter and slaughtered on the ranch?
(a) Beneath the cypress.
(b) In a special barn.
(c) Right near the kitchen so they can be cleaned easily.
(d) They aren't -- they are taken off property for this.
4. Who is Billy Buck?
(a) A banker.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A preacher.
(d) A ranch hand.
5. Who does Jody first show his new pony to?
(a) His teacher.
(b) The neighborhood preacher.
(c) Six boys from school.
(d) No one -- he keeps it hidden away.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom does Billy Buck work?
2. What does Jody initially want to name the pony?
3. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
4. What does the pony's name mean?
5. How old is Jody Tiflin when the novel begins?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)