|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Billy Buck get up?
(a) It depends on the day.
(b) Before sunrise.
(c) Very late.
(d) At sunrise.
2. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Knee high.
(b) Exactly even with Jody.
(c) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(d) Over Jody's head.
3. How does the pony's coat and mane look when Jody first sees them?
(a) Short and stubbly.
(b) Long and braided.
(c) Rough and tangled.
(d) Shiny and beautiful.
4. How does Jody's mom feel about his dedication to the red pony?
(a) She is angry that it keeps him from his chores.
(b) She is angry that it keeps him from school.
(c) She doesn't really care one way or the other.
(d) She is proud.
5. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
(b) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(c) Harvest the crops for the first time.
(d) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Carl get the pony from?
2. What kind of gun does Jody have?
3. Who is Smasher?
4. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
5. What is Billy Buck best known for?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)