|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy often perform at local rodeos?
(b) Very well - he often wins first place.
(c) About average.
(d) He is too old - he usually just judges.
2. How is Carl's character first described?
(a) As a religious man.
(b) As an outgoing community leader.
(c) As a silly, fun-loving father.
(d) As a disciplinarian.
3. How high is the corn when the novel first opens?
(a) Knee high.
(b) Over Jody's head.
(c) It hasn't sprouted yet.
(d) Exactly even with Jody.
4. As Jody's pony gets sicker, what life-saving procedure must Billy do to keep it alive?
(a) Give it alcohol to keep it calm.
(b) Amputate its leg.
(c) Keep it drugged.
(d) Cut a hole in its windpipe.
5. What time does Jody usually come home from school?
(a) Four o'clock.
(b) Noon (for lunch) and three o'clock.
(c) Six o'clock.
(d) After sunset, to be safe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
2. When does Billy Buck first go into the ranch house every day?
3. What is Billy Buck best known for?
4. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
5. How do the cow-pumpkins look when the novel first opens?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)