|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(b) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
2. What reason does Mrs. Tiflin give about why it takes Grandfather so long to rise in the morning?
(a) Because he moves slower as a result of his old age.
(b) Because he feels unwelcome in their house.
(c) Because he is lazy.
(d) Because he dresses with care.
3. How does Billy free the colt once it is born?
(a) He uses a knife to cut it free.
(b) He tears the sac open with his teeth.
(c) Nothing, because there is no real colt; the horse only thought it was pregnant.
(d) He washes it off by himself.
4. What does Billy end up doing to Nellie?
(a) Killing her with a hammer.
(b) Giving her a warm bath to calm her down.
(c) Calming her with hot mash.
(d) Selling her to a neighbor as she lay dying.
5. What is the "carrion" that Jody mentions the buzzards are helpful with?
(a) Dead flesh.
(b) Poisonous buzzards.
(c) Leftover crops.
(d) Seeds that need to be spread.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jess Taylor say he saw riding Easter?
2. How does Billy eventually get the baby colt out?
3. What kind of animal does Jody kill for the first time when Chapter 2 opens?
4. Who does Billy say must grant permission for anything that is done on the ranch?
5. What ominous sign does Jody see that lets him know his pony has died?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)