|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jess Taylor report the horse rider was carrying?
(a) Something shiny.
(b) Something made of wood.
(c) A small child.
(d) Lots of empty sacks.
2. What is a common breakfast in the Tiflin household?
(b) None -- they are very poor.
(c) Fresh turkey sandwiches.
(d) Eggs, bacon, and biscuits.
3. How does Jody feel after Gitano leaves?
4. Why has Jody been told to take Nellie to someone else's ranch?
(a) To see how much she would get at auction.
(b) To see if any of the neighbors would want to buy her.
(c) To breed her.
(d) He hasn't been told to take her anywhere.
5. When the novel opens, what are Carl and Billy going to do?
(a) Drive six old cows to the butcher.
(b) Harvest the crops for the first time.
(c) Delivery the Christmas sermon.
(d) Go to New York City to see about another loan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell Jody to do after he is done helping with the birth?
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
3. Why does Gitano eventually make Jody leave his lodgings for the night?
4. Why does Billy tell Jody to go outside when Nellie is supposedly in labor?
5. What kind of shoes does Jody Tiflin wear in late summer?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)