|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gitano eat for breakfast the day after he arrives at the Tiflin ranch?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Biscuits only.
(c) Nothing; he doesn't appear for breakfast.
2. When Carl and Billy first return from being gone when the novel opens, what does Jody smell on their breath?
(d) Nothing -- they are very, very thirsty for water.
3. How do the other horses react when Nellie is supposedly giving birth?
(a) They are very aware of what is going on and are agitated.
(b) They become very quiet.
(c) They all break free and start running around the ranch.
(d) They are clueless.
4. When Jody wakes up crying in Chapter 3, what does his mother say to calm him down?
(a) To remember that dreams aren't real.
(b) To be quiet so he doesn't anger Carl.
(c) To eat a cookie as a treat and then go back to bed.
(d) To try to wake up and start over again.
5. Where does Jess report Gitano was heading?
(a) Into the mountains.
(b) Toward the Mexico border.
(c) Nowhere in particular.
(d) Into the next town over.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jody is worried about Nellie, what does Carl tell Jody about Billy?
2. How does Carl react to finding Jody sneaking back into bed after checking on Nellie in the middle of the night?
3. What time is it when Jody first leaves the barn after the horse's birth?
4. For whom does Billy Buck work?
5. What does Jody do with his surprise-filled lunchbox when he returns home from school?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)