|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
2. How old is Jack's mother?
3. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
4. What does Jack notice as he takes a long sip from his drink during lunch?
5. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack's mother handle her son's death? How does she shoulder the care for her children and the farm?
2. The author provides a vivid, detailed picture of Yegudkin, a much more detailed one than of any other character. What does Arcady Yegudkin look like?
3. Jack and Phoebe have an interchange about saying grace over lunch. What is that interchange, and why is important to the story?
4. How does Jack react when his father reads Jack's poems in public? Why does he feel the way he does about his father's poetry readings?
5. Where does Jack find peace and solace? With whom does he talk?
6. When he is driving the tractor, how does Jack's behavior mimic that of his father?
7. When Jack comes into the house after work and finds the kitchen empty and the living room door closed, he opens the door to walk into the living room. Describe the scene Jack finds when he opens the door.
8. How does Jack feel after asking Yegudkin if he will ever play the horn as well as the teacher? How does Yegudkin respond?
9. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
10. Jack begins to play the French horn in earnest. Why does he do this? Where does he practice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jack describe Phoebe as his "sole ally, already half traitor"?
Essay Topic 3
On the farm, Jack has two primary responsibilities: tending to the cows in the mornings and working the fields. Compare and contrast these two jobs in relation to how Jack responds to each one.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)