|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Jack's mother before the accident?
2. How old is Jack's mother?
3. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
4. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
5. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
Short Essay Questions
1. As his lessons continue, what does Jack begin to realize about his teacher and his rants about America and Russia?
2. Although Jack's morning routines are pleasant, his guilt creeps into his day and the illusions of the morning are shattered. How does he behave as the day continues? What changes for him?
3. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
4. How does Jack feel after asking Yegudkin if he will ever play the horn as well as the teacher? How does Yegudkin respond?
5. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
6. As Jack rides the tractor after the accident and tells his stories of woe, how does he react to who he has become?
7. Where is Arcady Yegudkin from? How does he get to America? What is his story?
8. Describe Jack's uncles. What do they do on the farm? What do they look like? How do they behave?
9. While Jack is sitting with Phoebe under the tree at lunchtime, he senses she wants to say something to him. How does he react? What might Phoebe wanted to talk about with her brother?
10. Jack has a nightly routine upon entering the house. What is that routine? What seems different to him on this evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Both Jack and his father are artists. How do each of them use their art to express their sadness?
Essay Topic 2As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
Essay Topic 3Although this is a piece of fiction, Gardner did live on a farm and did run over his brother with a tractor when they were young. Does it help or hinder to know the basis of this story is part of the writer's experience?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)