|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the feed store?
2. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
3. How old is Jack's mother?
4. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
5. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
Short Essay Questions
1. In this story, Jack and Phoebe have very traditional roles. What are the roles each play?
2. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
3. When Dale looks up to the door and sees Jack, what does Dale say to his son? How does Jack respond to his father?
4. What chores are Jack responsible for when he works in the barn? What feelings do the chores arouse in him?
5. Dale Hawthorne decides against suicide. Why does he do so? What does he do instead of killing himself?
6. What does Jack think about as he prepares the cows for milking after realizing why Phoebe wanted him to say grace? How does he feel as these thoughts enter his mind?
7. How does the narrator describe the machinery Jack drives on the farm? Why is this image so powerful? How does it compare to the usual image associated with farm equipment?
8. How does the narrator describe Jack's lessons with Yegudkin?
9. What are some of the ways Dale Hawthorne deals with his grief over the death of his son? What comment does the narrator make as to people's opinion of Hawthorne's behavior?
10. When he is driving the tractor, how does Jack's behavior mimic that of his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack's feelings for his father are complex. Discuss the array of emotions Jack has for his father at different times in the story, and support your discussion with examples.
Essay Topic 2
When Jack asks Yegudkin, "You think I'll ever play like that?" Yegudkin laughs loudly and says, "Play like me?" What does Yegudkin mean by his reply, and how does it affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
On the farm, Jack has two primary responsibilities: tending to the cows in the mornings and working the fields. Compare and contrast these two jobs in relation to how Jack responds to each one.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)