Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
2. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
3. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
4. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
5. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader realize when Yegudkin plays the French horn?
2. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
3. What is Jack's first reaction when he sees his father and what is occurring in the living room? Why can he not act on his impulse to run?
4. Where does Jack find peace and solace? With whom does he talk?
5. What is Jack's "black memory"? What sounds and sights does Jack relive in his black memory?
6. While Jack is sitting with Phoebe under the tree at lunchtime, he senses she wants to say something to him. How does he react? What might Phoebe wanted to talk about with her brother?
7. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
8. The narrator explains that Dale Hawthorne "trades off his sorrow for the sorrows of others." What does he mean by this?
9. What do we know about Yegudkin's wife? What does she look like? What does she do?
10. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
Essay Topic 1
Who are Dale and Betty Hawthorne? What are they like before the accident and after? How does the death of their son affect them?
Essay Topic 2
As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
Essay Topic 3
As Yegudkin plays the horn, Jack is carried away by the man's skill and art. Describe the scene, and discuss the images used to describe Yegudkin's playing.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)