|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
2. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
3. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
4. What kind of man is Jack's father?
5. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Arcady Yegudkin from? How does he get to America? What is his story?
2. As his lessons continue, what does Jack begin to realize about his teacher and his rants about America and Russia?
3. How does Jack respond to Yegudkin's performance on the French horn? How is the performance described?
4. What is Jack's first reaction when he sees his father and what is occurring in the living room? Why can he not act on his impulse to run?
5. The narrator explains that Dale Hawthorne "trades off his sorrow for the sorrows of others." What does he mean by this?
6. How does Jack's mother handle her son's death? How does she shoulder the care for her children and the farm?
7. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
8. The narrator describes a soliloquy spoken by Jack's father at the Grange one night. How does Jack remember his father on that evening? Why does he recall this memory when he is angry?
9. What conclusion does Jack come to about himself after realizing he does not love people as well as he should? How does he react to his own conclusions?
10. What does Jack ask Yegudkin after he plays, and how does the teacher respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jack asks Yegudkin, "You think I'll ever play like that?" Yegudkin laughs loudly and says, "Play like me?" What does Yegudkin mean by his reply, and how does it affect Jack?
Essay Topic 2
On the farm, Jack has two primary responsibilities: tending to the cows in the mornings and working the fields. Compare and contrast these two jobs in relation to how Jack responds to each one.
Essay Topic 3
Jack and Dale both struggle with both the question of the existence of God and the existence of good and evil after David's death. Discuss both character's different approaches to the struggle with these two topics.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)