|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have his co-workers accepted about Jack when he stops working for lunch?
2. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
3. When Jack's father is gone for days, who takes over the work of the farm?
4. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
5. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Now that his father is home to stay, what does Jack with his free time. Why?
2. When Jack first opens the door and sees his family gathered around his father, his aunt says to him, "It's all over. Your father is home." What does she mean by this?
3. With whom does Jack begin studying French horn? What information are we given about this teacher in this section? Where does he teach?
4. Describe Jack's uncles. What do they do on the farm? What do they look like? How do they behave?
5. While crouching next to his father upon Dale Hawthorne's homecoming, Jack softly whispers something no one can hear. What does he say, and why does he softly whisper this so that it is inaudible?
6. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
7. Jack begins to play the French horn in earnest. Why does he do this? Where does he practice?
8. Describe the scene in which Yegudkin opens the Alexander he has ordered for a student.
9. How does Jack Hawthorne spend much of his time after the accidental death of his brother? What does he do during those activities?
10. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
Essay Topic 1
Dale Hawthorne is described as being in the throws of a religious crisis after the death of his son. What is his spiritual crisis, and how does he deal with it?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the various pieces of information and historical references, approximately when does this story take place? Justify your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When Jack asks Yegudkin, "You think I'll ever play like that?" Yegudkin laughs loudly and says, "Play like me?" What does Yegudkin mean by his reply, and how does it affect Jack?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)