|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
2. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
3. Where did Jack's father perform?
4. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
5. What is it that makes Jack crazy once his good feelings wear off?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack's mother handle her son's death? How does she shoulder the care for her children and the farm?
2. Where is Arcady Yegudkin from? How does he get to America? What is his story?
3. Where does Jack find peace and solace? With whom does he talk?
4. The author provides a vivid, detailed picture of Yegudkin, a much more detailed one than of any other character. What does Arcady Yegudkin look like?
5. The narrator provides only two comments about the dead child, David. What are the comments? Do they tell us anything about the child?
6. What chores are Jack responsible for when he works in the barn? What feelings do the chores arouse in him?
7. Dale Hawthorne decides against suicide. Why does he do so? What does he do instead of killing himself?
8. What does the reader realize when Yegudkin plays the French horn?
9. Jack and Phoebe have an interchange about saying grace over lunch. What is that interchange, and why is important to the story?
10. What does Yegudkin say about the fact that he is now too deaf to play in an orchestra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack's feelings for his father are complex. Discuss the array of emotions Jack has for his father at different times in the story, and support your discussion with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Dale Hawthorne is described as being in the throws of a religious crisis after the death of his son. What is his spiritual crisis, and how does he deal with it?
Essay Topic 3
Of all the characters in the story, Betty Hawthorne has the most stability. Discuss her support system, and how her traditional role as a wife and mother help her cope with the death of her son.
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)