|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally ruins Jack's fantasy stories when he is driving the tractor in the field?
2. What do his co-workers accept about Dale Hawthorne since his son has died?
3. How old is Jack's mother?
4. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
5. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
2. The narrator describes a soliloquy spoken by Jack's father at the Grange one night. How does Jack remember his father on that evening? Why does he recall this memory when he is angry?
3. Jack begins to play the French horn in earnest. Why does he do this? Where does he practice?
4. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
5. What are some of the ways Dale Hawthorne deals with his grief over the death of his son? What comment does the narrator make as to people's opinion of Hawthorne's behavior?
6. How does Jack Hawthorne spend much of his time after the accidental death of his brother? What does he do during those activities?
7. When describing Jack's routines in the early mornings, the author uses the word "sweet" more than once. What things are sweet about the mornings for Jack?
8. Describe Jack's uncles. What do they do on the farm? What do they look like? How do they behave?
9. As Jack rides the tractor after the accident and tells his stories of woe, how does he react to who he has become?
10. The author provides a vivid, detailed picture of Yegudkin, a much more detailed one than of any other character. What does Arcady Yegudkin look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Jack and his father are artists. How do each of them use their art to express their sadness?
Essay Topic 2
As Yegudkin plays the horn, Jack is carried away by the man's skill and art. Describe the scene, and discuss the images used to describe Yegudkin's playing.
Essay Topic 3
As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)