|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
2. To whom does Jack confide in and tell his tractor stories?
3. What does Jack do while waiting for the cows to finish eating?
4. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
5. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion does Jack come to about himself after realizing he does not love people as well as he should? How does he react to his own conclusions?
2. Who is involved in the accident and how old are they? Why is the accident seem particularly difficult for the two surviving children?
3. Dale Hawthorne decides against suicide. Why does he do so? What does he do instead of killing himself?
4. When describing Jack's routines in the early mornings, the author uses the word "sweet" more than once. What things are sweet about the mornings for Jack?
5. How does the narrator describe Jack's lessons with Yegudkin?
6. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
7. How old is Phoebe when she brings lunch out to the field? As she comes out to the field, how is she described by the narrator? What are her responsibilities?
8. Describe the Hawthorne family farm that Jack works on a year and a half later. What has changed? What remains the same?
9. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
10. While crouching next to his father upon Dale Hawthorne's homecoming, Jack softly whispers something no one can hear. What does he say, and why does he softly whisper this so that it is inaudible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jack asks Yegudkin, "You think I'll ever play like that?" Yegudkin laughs loudly and says, "Play like me?" What does Yegudkin mean by his reply, and how does it affect Jack?
Essay Topic 2
Both Jack and his father are artists. How do each of them use their art to express their sadness?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jack's experience with death and loss similar to that of Yegudkin? How is it different?
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)