|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
2. What sight does Jack see when he remembers his brother's death?
3. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
4. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
5. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
2. When he is driving the tractor, how does Jack's behavior mimic that of his father?
3. Jack is "touched" by his sister's presence at lunchtime in the field. Why is this? What does he notice about her?
4. How does Jack Hawthorne spend much of his time after the accidental death of his brother? What does he do during those activities?
5. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
6. Describe the Hawthorne family farm that Jack works on a year and a half later. What has changed? What remains the same?
7. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
8. As Jack rides the tractor after the accident and tells his stories of woe, how does he react to who he has become?
9. While crouching next to his father upon Dale Hawthorne's homecoming, Jack softly whispers something no one can hear. What does he say, and why does he softly whisper this so that it is inaudible?
10. What chores are Jack responsible for when he works in the barn? What feelings do the chores arouse in him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack's mother says "that horn's his whole world." Is this indeed true? What else does Jack have in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator compares Jack working out his feeling while he works on the farm to acting on a stage. What is Jack's stage? What is his performance? Who is his audience?
Essay Topic 3
Who are Dale and Betty Hawthorne? What are they like before the accident and after? How does the death of their son affect them?
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)