Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(a) Happy that he is so much like his father.
(c) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
2. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he needs more to drink.
(b) If he wants a napkin.
(c) If he wants to say grace.
(d) If he wants to join the others.
3. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
4. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
(a) By telling them the accident was not their fault.
(b) By taking them on long drives.
(c) By reading the Bible to them nightly.
(d) By embracing them and giving constant praise and reassurance.
5. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
(a) In the kitchen with his mother and sister.
(b) On the tractor with his father.
(c) In the fields with his uncles
(d) In the barn with the cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
2. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
3. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
4. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
5. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader realize when Yegudkin plays the French horn?
2. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
3. What is Jack's first reaction when he sees his father and what is occurring in the living room? Why can he not act on his impulse to run?
4. Where does Jack find peace and solace? With whom does he talk?
5. What is Jack's "black memory"? What sounds and sights does Jack relive in his black memory?
6. While Jack is sitting with Phoebe under the tree at lunchtime, he senses she wants to say something to him. How does he react? What might Phoebe wanted to talk about with her brother?
7. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
8. The narrator explains that Dale Hawthorne "trades off his sorrow for the sorrows of others." What does he mean by this?
9. What do we know about Yegudkin's wife? What does she look like? What does she do?
10. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)