|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jack's father perform?
(a) An outdoor theatre.
(b) The theatre hall.
(c) The Grange.
(d) The town hall.
2. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
(a) An unforgettable memory.
(b) A sad memory.
(c) An ugly memory.
(d) A black memory.
3. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
(a) A push broom.
(b) A long handled shovel.
(c) A metal trowel.
(d) A blunt wooden scraper.
4. Who does Jack's father blame for his son's death?
(b) The tractor.
(c) His wife.
5. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Scrubbing the sink.
(b) Mopping the floor.
(c) Making chicken salad.
(d) Making cakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack finally contemplate while riding on the tractor telling his stories?
2. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
3. What religion are Jack's uncles?
4. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
5. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Phoebe when she brings lunch out to the field? As she comes out to the field, how is she described by the narrator? What are her responsibilities?
2. Describe the Hawthorne family farm that Jack works on a year and a half later. What has changed? What remains the same?
3. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
4. How does Jack's mother handle her son's death? How does she shoulder the care for her children and the farm?
5. How does Jack react when his father reads Jack's poems in public? Why does he feel the way he does about his father's poetry readings?
6. How does Jack's house compare to his work? What senses are aroused at home? What senses are aroused when he is out on the tractor? Why does Jack feel so uncomfortable in his home?
7. When Jack comes into the house after work and finds the kitchen empty and the living room door closed, he opens the door to walk into the living room. Describe the scene Jack finds when he opens the door.
8. What does Jack ask Yegudkin after he plays, and how does the teacher respond?
9. What is Jack's "black memory"? What sounds and sights does Jack relive in his black memory?
10. As his lessons continue, what does Jack begin to realize about his teacher and his rants about America and Russia?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)