|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
(b) Committing murder.
(c) Committing suicide.
(d) Selling the farm and moving away.
2. How old is Jack's mother?
3. What have his co-workers accepted about Jack when he stops working for lunch?
(a) His gregarious ways.
(b) His need to be alone.
(c) His rudeness.
(d) His huge appetite.
4. What finally ruins Jack's fantasy stories when he is driving the tractor in the field?
5. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(c) Harley-Davidson 80.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
2. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
3. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
4. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
5. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack and Phoebe have an interchange about saying grace over lunch. What is that interchange, and why is important to the story?
2. With practice Jack is able to have major accomplishments with his horn playing. What are some of those accomplishments? Which ones seem especially important?
3. Although Jack's morning routines are pleasant, his guilt creeps into his day and the illusions of the morning are shattered. How does he behave as the day continues? What changes for him?
4. When Jack first opens the door and sees his family gathered around his father, his aunt says to him, "It's all over. Your father is home." What does she mean by this?
5. Now that his father is home to stay, what does Jack with his free time. Why?
6. What does Jack think about as he prepares the cows for milking after realizing why Phoebe wanted him to say grace? How does he feel as these thoughts enter his mind?
7. How does Jack's house compare to his work? What senses are aroused at home? What senses are aroused when he is out on the tractor? Why does Jack feel so uncomfortable in his home?
8. What do we know about Yegudkin's wife? What does she look like? What does she do?
9. The narrator explains that Dale Hawthorne "trades off his sorrow for the sorrows of others." What does he mean by this?
10. What does the reader realize when Yegudkin plays the French horn?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)