|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
(a) Huckleberries and blackberries.
(b) Cherries and red raspberries.
(c) Cherries and apples.
(d) Blueberries and raspberries.
2. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
(b) The clouds in the sky.
(c) The sound of the birds in the trees.
(d) The horizon.
3. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(b) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(c) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(d) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
4. For what does Jack's father often abandon his wife and children?
(a) Love affairs with other women.
(b) Trips to the city to gamble.
(c) Camping in the Rockies.
(d) Drinking binges.
5. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
(a) In the shade of an oak tree.
(b) Under the overhang on the barn.
(c) With his cousins.
(d) In the shade of an elm away from the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is working and helping to harvest the fields with Jack?
2. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
3. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
4. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
5. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack's father has been gone over three weeks. In what position does Jack find himself? Have his responsibilities changed? Who is he working with now?
2. What does Jack think about as he prepares the cows for milking after realizing why Phoebe wanted him to say grace? How does he feel as these thoughts enter his mind?
3. How does Jack's house compare to his work? What senses are aroused at home? What senses are aroused when he is out on the tractor? Why does Jack feel so uncomfortable in his home?
4. When Dale looks up to the door and sees Jack, what does Dale say to his son? How does Jack respond to his father?
5. What does Yegudkin say about the fact that he is now too deaf to play in an orchestra?
6. Describe the Hawthorne family farm that Jack works on a year and a half later. What has changed? What remains the same?
7. When describing Jack's routines in the early mornings, the author uses the word "sweet" more than once. What things are sweet about the mornings for Jack?
8. Where is Arcady Yegudkin from? How does he get to America? What is his story?
9. How does Jack react every time he relives the image of his brother David being crushed by the cultipacker?
10. What kinds of stories does Jack tell while he is riding on the tractor by himself before the accident? How do his stories change after the accident?
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)