|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do his co-workers accept about Dale Hawthorne since his son has died?
(a) HIs father's ways of handling his brother's death.
(b) His father's drinking.
(c) His father's death.
(d) His father's refusal to work during harvest.
2. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
(a) He is angry and yelling.
(b) He is quiet and aloof.
(c) He is funny and entertaining.
(d) He is bored and disinterested.
3. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
(a) The other men all sit and have a smoke.
(b) His mother standing in the doorway of the kitchen waving to him.
(c) Phoebe turns and waves to him.
(d) Phoebe runs back to give him a hug.
4. To whom does Jack confide in and tell his tractor stories?
(a) His uncle.
(b) No one.
(c) His cousin.
5. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Eating constantly.
(b) Talking in his sleep.
(c) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
(d) Drinking beer all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
2. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
3. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
4. What is it that makes Jack crazy once his good feelings wear off?
5. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in which Yegudkin opens the Alexander he has ordered for a student.
2. What are some of the ways Dale Hawthorne deals with his grief over the death of his son? What comment does the narrator make as to people's opinion of Hawthorne's behavior?
3. Although he practices in the hayloft and is part of the civic orchestra, Jack refuses to play his horn either at church or at home. Why?
4. Where does Jack find peace and solace? With whom does he talk?
5. When he is driving the tractor, how does Jack's behavior mimic that of his father?
6. What does Yegudkin say about the fact that he is now too deaf to play in an orchestra?
7. Jack has a nightly routine upon entering the house. What is that routine? What seems different to him on this evening?
8. As his lessons continue, what does Jack begin to realize about his teacher and his rants about America and Russia?
9. Jack begins to play the French horn in earnest. Why does he do this? Where does he practice?
10. What does Jack think about as he prepares the cows for milking after realizing why Phoebe wanted him to say grace? How does he feel as these thoughts enter his mind?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)