|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Committing murder.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Selling the farm and moving away.
(d) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
2. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
(a) He feels at home and almost pleasant.
(b) He feels lonely and frightened.
(c) He feels remorseful and guilty.
(d) He feels confused and anxious.
3. What is the name of the feed store?
4. For what does Jack's father often abandon his wife and children?
(a) Trips to the city to gamble.
(b) Love affairs with other women.
(c) Camping in the Rockies.
(d) Drinking binges.
5. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he wants a napkin.
(b) If he needs more to drink.
(c) If he wants to say grace.
(d) If he wants to join the others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
2. How does Jack respond to Phoebe's question at the beginning of lunch?
3. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
4. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
5. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. How old is Phoebe when she brings lunch out to the field? As she comes out to the field, how is she described by the narrator? What are her responsibilities?
2. What do we know about Yegudkin's wife? What does she look like? What does she do?
3. Although Jack's morning routines are pleasant, his guilt creeps into his day and the illusions of the morning are shattered. How does he behave as the day continues? What changes for him?
4. When Jack leaves his lesson with Yegudkin, where does he go?
5. What chores are Jack responsible for when he works in the barn? What feelings do the chores arouse in him?
6. How does the family react to Dale Hawthorne's frequent disappearances? How does Jack react to his father's disappearances?
7. In this story, Jack and Phoebe have very traditional roles. What are the roles each play?
8. With whom does Jack begin studying French horn? What information are we given about this teacher in this section? Where does he teach?
9. With practice Jack is able to have major accomplishments with his horn playing. What are some of those accomplishments? Which ones seem especially important?
10. The author provides a vivid, detailed picture of Yegudkin, a much more detailed one than of any other character. What does Arcady Yegudkin look like?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)