|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
(a) A reckless man with little control over his family.
(b) An unfatihful husband and a bad neighbor.
(c) A gentle but stupid farmer.
(d) A faithful husband and a fair minded, genial farmer.
2. How much time has passed between David's death and harvest time in the fields?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six months.
3. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he needs more to drink.
(b) If he wants to join the others.
(c) If he wants to say grace.
(d) If he wants a napkin.
4. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(b) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(c) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(d) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
5. How far is the Hawthorne farm from the nearest house?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Two miles.
(c) Half a mile.
(d) One mile.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
2. Who does Jack's father blame for his son's death?
3. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
4. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
5. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jack is "touched" by his sister's presence at lunchtime in the field. Why is this? What does he notice about her?
2. What conclusion does Jack come to about himself after realizing he does not love people as well as he should? How does he react to his own conclusions?
3. Where is Arcady Yegudkin from? How does he get to America? What is his story?
4. Describe the scene in which Yegudkin opens the Alexander he has ordered for a student.
5. Describe Jack's uncles. What do they do on the farm? What do they look like? How do they behave?
6. Describe the Hawthorne family farm that Jack works on a year and a half later. What has changed? What remains the same?
7. Although Jack's morning routines are pleasant, his guilt creeps into his day and the illusions of the morning are shattered. How does he behave as the day continues? What changes for him?
8. When Dale Hawthorne returns home after his three week absence, he does not leave again. What does he do to occupy his time? What does he do when he becomes restless?
9. While crouching next to his father upon Dale Hawthorne's homecoming, Jack softly whispers something no one can hear. What does he say, and why does he softly whisper this so that it is inaudible?
10. How does the narrator describe the machinery Jack drives on the farm? Why is this image so powerful? How does it compare to the usual image associated with farm equipment?
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)