|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Jack hear from the other workers sitting at the other lunch site?
(a) Laughter over a joke told by his cousin.
(b) A man yelling over to him.
(c) Laughter and yelling.
2. What is Jack indignant about when he is in the kitchen?
(a) HIs mother is eating again.
(b) Everyone talking too loudly.
(c) He is the only one working this hard.
(d) Everyone pretending eveything is ok.
3. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
(a) It is a breezeless, insect-ridden heat.
(b) The day has begun to cool down.
(c) There are clouds in the sky predicting rain.
(d) There are birds singing in the trees.
4. What sight does Jack see when he remembers his brother's death?
(a) The brake on the tractor.
(b) The evening sky.
(c) The cultipacker rolling over his brother's body.
(d) The cultipacker stalling when it hits his brother.
5. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
(a) He is aloof.
(b) He is friendly.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is furous.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
2. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
3. When does Jack feel almost happy and content?
4. What does Jack notice about his sister as she is laying out the food?
5. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chores are Jack responsible for when he works in the barn? What feelings do the chores arouse in him?
2. When Jack leaves his lesson with Yegudkin, where does he go?
3. What do we know about Yegudkin's wife? What does she look like? What does she do?
4. How does Jack's mother handle her son's death? How does she shoulder the care for her children and the farm?
5. Jack begins to play the French horn in earnest. Why does he do this? Where does he practice?
6. What does Yegudkin say about the fact that he is now too deaf to play in an orchestra?
7. How does Jack react every time he relives the image of his brother David being crushed by the cultipacker?
8. Later in the evening following their lunch, Jack comes to understand about why Phoebe is alarmed about his not saying grace before eating. What does he realize grace means to Phoebe?
9. Although he practices in the hayloft and is part of the civic orchestra, Jack refuses to play his horn either at church or at home. Why?
10. Who is involved in the accident and how old are they? Why is the accident seem particularly difficult for the two surviving children?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)