|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
(a) Before Czar Nikolai took over the country.
(b) After the Russians invaded China.
(c) During the Korean War.
(d) At the time of the Revolution.
2. What is an "Alexander?"
(a) A type of tuba.
(b) A type of French horn.
(c) A type of trombone.
(d) A type of trumpet.
3. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
(a) He reads from the Bible at church.
(b) He reads from the Bible at the Grange.
(c) He begins to rebuild the barn.
(d) He takes up the guitar.
4. What does Jack realize he is doing as he gets close to his father?
(a) He is looking at Phoebe.
(b) He is smiling at his mother.
(c) He is crying like his father.
(d) He is staggering to the couch.
5. With whom does Jack take his horn lessons?
(a) Arcady Yegudkin.
(b) Arcady Yelliniski.
(c) Andrew Yegudski.
(d) Arcomb Yegadsky.
6. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
(a) The stupidity of mankind.
(b) His love for America.
(c) The beauty of the world.
(d) The stupidity of musicians.
7. What is Phoebe doing during the homecoming?
(a) Asking her aunt what to make for dinner.
(b) Talking to her cousins.
(c) Looking for Jack.
(d) Sitting next to her mother and hugging both her mother and father.
8. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
(a) He dislikes how they smile, cry, and lift their heads.
(b) He dislikes all of the attention they give Dale.
(c) He dislikes how rude they are in church.
(d) He dislikes how they are faking their tears.
9. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Bluebue.
(b) The Newark Express.
(c) The Express.
(d) The Greenbus.
10. To whom is Yegudkin giving the Alexander?
(a) To a new horn player.
(b) To Jack.
(c) To himself.
(d) To one of his graduate students.
11. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
(a) He has missed his bus.
(b) He has a twenty minute walk ahead of him.
(c) He needs to stop at the store before going home.
(d) He has to get change to get on the bus.
12. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
(b) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
(c) As if angels had entered the room.
(d) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
13. When Jack opens the living room door, what is his father doing in the living room?
(a) Asking about the farm.
(b) Laughing with his brothers.
(c) Crying in his wife's lap.
(d) Talking to Phoebe.
14. What does Yegudkin tell Jack of Russia and its power?
(a) He describes Russian tanks, Siberia, and Czar Nicholi.
(b) He describes the display of weaponry, Russian cunning, and Napoleon.
(c) He describes the difference between communism and democracy.
(d) He describes Kiev, Russian cities, and Russian politics.
15. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
(a) All of the lights are on.
(b) His mother is asleep on the couch.
(c) His sister is practicing her piano.
(d) The house is unusually quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack conclude about his teacher?
2. Who does Jack see sitting with his father when he opens the living room door?
3. How do Phoebe and Jack's mother react to Dale's return?
4. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
5. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)