|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Yegudkins live in America?
(a) Rochester, New York
(b) Rochester, New Jersey
(c) Rochester, Minnesota
(d) Rochester, Indiana
2. How does Jack feel about his father now that Dale has been gone for three weeks?
(a) He is both hateful and envious.
(b) He does not understand what his father is doing.
(c) He is frightened and wants his father home.
(d) He does not want his father to come home until fall.
3. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
(a) At church or at home for guests.
(b) In the neighborhood or in the school band on holidays.
(c) In his home for his friends.
(d) At church or on street corners after dinner.
4. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
(a) He blinks and leaves the room.
(b) He blinks and begins to sob.
(c) He blinks and smiles.
(d) He blinks and his legs go weak.
5. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) If he does not say grace, he does not love his dead brother.
(b) If he does not say grace, there might be no heaven.
(c) If he does not say grace, he will be cursed.
(d) If he does not say grace, he will go to Hell.
6. How does Yegudkin's wife survive their ordeal?
(a) She is left behind and lives in a work camp.
(b) She is terribly crippled from the gunshots.
(c) She is hardly harmed by the soldiers.
(d) She is blinded by the wounds she received.
7. How does Jack feel as he nears the homecoming scene?
(a) Happy and grateful.
(b) Relieved and exhausted.
(c) Exhausted and childlike.
(d) Dizzy and nauseated.
8. After his return, what does Dale Hawthorne do while he recites in public?
(a) He avoids the eyes of his listeners.
(b) He cries and speaks carefully.
(c) He gesticulates.
(d) He curses the gods.
9. What is in the shallow drawer of Yegudkin's desk in his office?
(a) Reeds for instruments.
(b) Letters from family in Russia.
(c) Tools for repairing horns.
(d) Mouthpieces for horns.
10. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(b) The lowest note of the horn, D.
(c) The highest note of the horn, E.
(d) The highest note of the horn, B.
11. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Lenin.
(b) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
(c) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
(d) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
12. What does Yegudkin say to Jack at the end of their lesson?
(a) "Next month?"
(b) "Next week?"
(c) "Next lesson?"
(d) "Next Saturday?"
13. What does Jack to do avoid family togetherness since his father's return?
(a) He reads about foreign travels.
(b) He leaves on his father's motorcycle.
(c) He plays his French horn.
(d) He spends all his time locked in his room.
14. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
(a) He has to get change to get on the bus.
(b) He needs to stop at the store before going home.
(c) He has missed his bus.
(d) He has a twenty minute walk ahead of him.
15. What is Phoebe doing during the homecoming?
(a) Looking for Jack.
(b) Talking to her cousins.
(c) Sitting next to her mother and hugging both her mother and father.
(d) Asking her aunt what to make for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
2. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
3. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
4. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
5. For what orchestra does Jack play?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)