|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jack opens the living room door, what is his father doing in the living room?
(a) Asking about the farm.
(b) Laughing with his brothers.
(c) Talking to Phoebe.
(d) Crying in his wife's lap.
2. How old is Yegudkin when we meet him?
3. On what day are Jack's music lessons?
4. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
(a) "Jackie, come in. Everything is fine now."
(b) "Jackie, come in. It's all over. You dad's come home."
(c) "Jackie, come in. Your fatehr is glad to see you."
(d) "Jackie, come in. Your father is ill."
5. How does Yegudkin react to the question Jack asks him when Yegudkin has finished playing?
(a) He laughs loudly and his eyes widen.
(b) He laughs loudly and says "no."
(c) He laughs loudly and turns to the graduate student.
(d) He laughs loudly and nudges Jack in the side.
6. What is Jack's horn teacher's nickname?
(a) The Major.
(b) The General.
(c) The Private.
(d) The Sergeant.
7. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
(a) He blinks and begins to sob.
(b) He blinks and his legs go weak.
(c) He blinks and leaves the room.
(d) He blinks and smiles.
8. What other things does Dale read in public?
(a) Some of Phoebe's poems from second grade.
(b) Some of his journal entries from his son's death.
(c) Some of Jack's poetry written when he was younger.
(d) Some of his mother's journal entries during her son's death.
9. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
(a) Spats, a long grey overcoat, and a black beret.
(b) A long grey overcoat, a black suit, and a black beret.
(c) A long balck overcoat, a grey suit, and a grey fedora.
(d) Spats, a long black overcoat, and a black fedora.
10. How does Jack feel as he nears the homecoming scene?
(a) Relieved and exhausted.
(b) Dizzy and nauseated.
(c) Exhausted and childlike.
(d) Happy and grateful.
11. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says "Why have you come home?"
(b) He says "Love you, dad."
(c) He says simply "Hi, dad."
(d) He says, "Welcome home."
12. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
(a) Second chair French horn.
(b) Fourth chair French horn.
(c) First chair French horn.
(d) Third chair French horn.
13. What makes Jack turn his head and look up while he is thinking and preparing the cows for milking in the barn?
(a) His mother come to talk to him.
(b) One of the farmhands needs help.
(c) His cousin asks him a question.
(d) HIs uncle speaks to him.
14. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
(a) His hands were shaking and he was laughing.
(b) His knees were weak and his heart was pounding.
(c) His eyes were wide open and he was screaming.
(d) His back hurt and he tries to sit down.
15. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
(a) In the neighborhood or in the school band on holidays.
(b) In his home for his friends.
(c) At church or at home for guests.
(d) At church or on street corners after dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
2. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
3. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
4. After leaving Russia, what does Yegudkin do in his new country?
5. What does Yegudkin say to Jack at the end of their lesson?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)