|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
(a) "Can you look at this for me, Jack?"
(b) "What time is it, Jackie?"
(c) "Need any help, Jackie?"
(d) "You all right there, Jackie?"
2. Who takes Yegudkin and his wife away from their home?
(a) The Nazis.
(b) The Bolsheviks.
(c) The Polish National Army.
(d) The Army of the United States.
3. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
(a) Jack applauds loudly.
(b) Jack gets very angry and yells at his father.
(c) Jack gets very angry, but does not speak.
(d) Jack stands up and leaves.
4. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "I hate you."
(c) "I have missed you."
(d) "Welcome home."
5. For what orchestra does Jack play?
(a) The Brooklyn Civic Orchestra.
(b) The Batavia Civic Orchestra.
(c) The New York City Civic Orchestra.
(d) The Newark Civic Orchestra.
6. Where do the Yegudkins go after leaving Russia?
(a) To China.
(b) To Greece.
(c) To Europe.
(d) To India.
7. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
(a) "Jackie, come in. Your fatehr is glad to see you."
(b) "Jackie, come in. Everything is fine now."
(c) "Jackie, come in. Your father is ill."
(d) "Jackie, come in. It's all over. You dad's come home."
8. What happens when the Yegudkins are on their way to Siberia?
(a) They are shot and left for dead.
(b) They are picked up by soldiers and brought to Kiev.
(c) They are put in work camps.
(d) They are returned to Kerensky.
9. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(b) Scales, notes and etudes.
(c) Scales, runs, and chords.
(d) Chords, notes and etudes.
10. What are the names of Jack's aunt and uncle who are in the house for Dale's homecoming?
(a) Ruth and Walt.
(b) Ruth and David.
(c) Ruth and Ben.
(d) Anne and Walt.
11. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(b) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(c) He is small and frail with a moustache.
(d) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
12. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
(a) He blinks and smiles.
(b) He blinks and leaves the room.
(c) He blinks and his legs go weak.
(d) He blinks and begins to sob.
13. What is one thing Dale does after being home a month?
(a) He begins writing love poems.
(b) He begins to come home drunk
(c) He begins reciting again poetry at the Grange.
(d) He takes over the grocery shopping.
14. Who does Jack see sitting with his father when he opens the living room door?
(a) His uncles, his mother, some field hands, and some friends.
(b) His mother, his aunt, the police, and his cousins.
(c) His mother, his sister, his uncle and his aunt, and two cousins.
(d) HIs sister his uncle, the neighbor and some field hands.
15. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
(a) Smiling, happy shoppers.
(b) Dazed, smiling shoppers.
(c) Smiling, excited shoppers.
(d) Dazed, irritable shoppers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do when he finally enters the living room?
2. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
3. Where does Yegudkin give his lessons on Saturdays?
4. What musical instrument is in the living room?
5. How do Phoebe and Jack's mother react to Dale's return?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)