|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the names of Jack's aunt and uncle who are in the house for Dale's homecoming?
(a) Ruth and Ben.
(b) Ruth and David.
(c) Ruth and Walt.
(d) Anne and Walt.
2. Who takes Yegudkin and his wife away from their home?
(a) The Army of the United States.
(b) The Polish National Army.
(c) The Nazis.
(d) The Bolsheviks.
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
(a) They think he is being mean to his father.
(b) They think he is not a good horn player.
(c) They believe there is nothing they can do about his isolation.
(d) They know he will grow out of it.
4. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
(b) As if angels had entered the room.
(c) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
(d) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
5. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(b) Chords, notes and etudes.
(c) Scales, runs, and chords.
(d) Scales, notes and etudes.
6. How does Jack feel about his father now that Dale has been gone for three weeks?
(a) He is frightened and wants his father home.
(b) He is both hateful and envious.
(c) He does not understand what his father is doing.
(d) He does not want his father to come home until fall.
7. After leaving Russia, what does Yegudkin do in his new country?
(a) He stays home and cares for his wife.
(b) He plays French horn to great praise by the critics.
(c) He finds a factory job in a city.
(d) He studies with a French historian.
8. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
(a) He takes up the guitar.
(b) He reads from the Bible at church.
(c) He reads from the Bible at the Grange.
(d) He begins to rebuild the barn.
9. What other things does Dale read in public?
(a) Some of his journal entries from his son's death.
(b) Some of his mother's journal entries during her son's death.
(c) Some of Jack's poetry written when he was younger.
(d) Some of Phoebe's poems from second grade.
10. To whom is Yegudkin giving the Alexander?
(a) To one of his graduate students.
(b) To Jack.
(c) To himself.
(d) To a new horn player.
11. How do Phoebe and Jack's mother react to Dale's return?
(a) They are quiet and listening to Dale's stories.
(b) They are laughing and happy.
(c) They are crying and hugging him.
(d) The are screaming at him for being gone.
12. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
(a) Smiling, excited shoppers.
(b) Smiling, happy shoppers.
(c) Dazed, smiling shoppers.
(d) Dazed, irritable shoppers.
13. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(b) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
(c) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
(d) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
14. What does Jack notice about his father since his return home?
(a) His eyes no longer work as well as they used to.
(b) He does not like to talk to people anymore.
(c) He has lost his sense of humor.
(d) HIs eyes not longer sparkle, and he does not have a actor's style.
15. What does Jack realize he is doing as he gets close to his father?
(a) He is staggering to the couch.
(b) He is crying like his father.
(c) He is smiling at his mother.
(d) He is looking at Phoebe.
Short Answer Questions
1. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
2. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
3. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
4. Where do the Yegudkins live in America?
5. On what day are Jack's music lessons?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)