|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
(a) He has a twenty minute walk ahead of him.
(b) He needs to stop at the store before going home.
(c) He has missed his bus.
(d) He has to get change to get on the bus.
2. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
(a) He blinks and smiles.
(b) He blinks and his legs go weak.
(c) He blinks and begins to sob.
(d) He blinks and leaves the room.
3. On what day are Jack's music lessons?
4. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
(a) "The Weight of the World" and "Sufferers Be Still."
(b) "Bridge to Madison County" and "My Way."
(c) "I Lean on the Lord" and "Why Must This Be?"
(d) "Tomorrow's Bridge" and "This Too Will Pass."
5. Where do the Yegudkins go after leaving Russia?
(a) To India.
(b) To Greece.
(c) To Europe.
(d) To China.
6. What makes Jack turn his head and look up while he is thinking and preparing the cows for milking in the barn?
(a) His mother come to talk to him.
(b) His cousin asks him a question.
(c) One of the farmhands needs help.
(d) HIs uncle speaks to him.
7. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
(b) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(c) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
(d) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
8. Since his father has returned home, what does Jack do late at night?
(a) He takes his father's motorcycle and rides into town.
(b) He goes up to the haymow or the orchard and plays his horn.
(c) He calls his old school friends on the phone.
(d) He dreams of joining the army.
9. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(b) The highest note of the horn, B.
(c) The highest note of the horn, E.
(d) The lowest note of the horn, D.
10. What does Jack use each night to take off his boots?
(a) He just slides out of them.
(b) His hands.
(c) A bootjack.
(d) A crowbar.
11. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Greenbus.
(b) The Newark Express.
(c) The Express.
(d) The Bluebue.
12. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
(a) The stupidity of musicians.
(b) The beauty of the world.
(c) His love for America.
(d) The stupidity of mankind.
13. After his return, what does Dale Hawthorne do while he recites in public?
(a) He gesticulates.
(b) He cries and speaks carefully.
(c) He curses the gods.
(d) He avoids the eyes of his listeners.
14. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
(a) First chair French horn.
(b) Second chair French horn.
(c) Fourth chair French horn.
(d) Third chair French horn.
15. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
(a) Madness, joy, or confusion.
(b) Madness, lust, or gluttony.
(c) Madness, excitement, or greed.
(d) Madness, anger, or resentment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
2. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
3. Where does Yegudkin's wife sit while he teaches?
4. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
5. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)