|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The highest note of the horn, E.
(b) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(c) The lowest note of the horn, D.
(d) The highest note of the horn, B.
2. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
(a) The stupidity of musicians.
(b) The stupidity of mankind.
(c) The beauty of the world.
(d) His love for America.
3. What does Yegudkin do while Jack is playing the horn at his lesson?
(a) He hums along with the music.
(b) He sits quietly and listens.
(c) He sings and gestures.
(d) He points at the music and corrects Jack's playing.
4. How does Jack feel as he nears the homecoming scene?
(a) Relieved and exhausted.
(b) Exhausted and childlike.
(c) Happy and grateful.
(d) Dizzy and nauseated.
5. When Jack opens the living room door, what is his father doing in the living room?
(a) Asking about the farm.
(b) Laughing with his brothers.
(c) Crying in his wife's lap.
(d) Talking to Phoebe.
6. What is an "Alexander?"
(a) A type of tuba.
(b) A type of trumpet.
(c) A type of trombone.
(d) A type of French horn.
7. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
(a) He speaks clearly.
(b) He mumbles to his sister.
(c) He yells at his father.
(d) He whispers too softly for anyone to hear.
8. What is Jack's horn teacher's nickname?
(a) The Sergeant.
(b) The Major.
(c) The Private.
(d) The General.
9. What does Mrs. Hawthorne do as she talks about Jack's horn playing?
(a) Smiles and clasps her hands together.
(b) Smiles but stomps her feet.
(c) Frowns and asks for guidance.
(d) Frowns and tells him to stop practicing.
10. What does Jack conclude about his teacher?
(a) Yegudkin hates America and misses Russia.
(b) Yegudkin hates both America and Russia.
(c) Yegudkin loves Russia and hates America.
(d) Yegudkin loves America and hates Russia.
11. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
(a) He begins to rebuild the barn.
(b) He takes up the guitar.
(c) He reads from the Bible at the Grange.
(d) He reads from the Bible at church.
12. What does Jack realize he is doing as he gets close to his father?
(a) He is looking at Phoebe.
(b) He is smiling at his mother.
(c) He is crying like his father.
(d) He is staggering to the couch.
13. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Chords, notes and etudes.
(b) Scales, runs, and chords.
(c) Scales, notes and etudes.
(d) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
14. What does Yegudkin say to Jack at the end of their lesson?
(a) "Next lesson?"
(b) "Next Saturday?"
(c) "Next month?"
(d) "Next week?"
15. What is Phoebe doing during the homecoming?
(a) Talking to her cousins.
(b) Looking for Jack.
(c) Sitting next to her mother and hugging both her mother and father.
(d) Asking her aunt what to make for dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yegudkin tell Jack of Russia and its power?
2. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
3. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
4. What does Yegudkin look like?
5. How does the graduate student react to his teacher's horn playing?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)