|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jack take his French horn lessons?
(a) The Julliard School.
(b) The New School.
(c) The Eastman School of Music.
(d) New York University.
2. With whom does Jack take his horn lessons?
(a) Arcomb Yegadsky.
(b) Arcady Yegudkin.
(c) Arcady Yelliniski.
(d) Andrew Yegudski.
3. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) If he does not say grace, he does not love his dead brother.
(b) If he does not say grace, he will be cursed.
(c) If he does not say grace, there might be no heaven.
(d) If he does not say grace, he will go to Hell.
4. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
(a) His eyes were wide open and he was screaming.
(b) His knees were weak and his heart was pounding.
(c) His back hurt and he tries to sit down.
(d) His hands were shaking and he was laughing.
5. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
(b) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
(c) As if angels had entered the room.
(d) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
6. How do Phoebe and Jack's mother react to Dale's return?
(a) They are laughing and happy.
(b) They are quiet and listening to Dale's stories.
(c) The are screaming at him for being gone.
(d) They are crying and hugging him.
7. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says simply "Hi, dad."
(b) He says "Love you, dad."
(c) He says, "Welcome home."
(d) He says "Why have you come home?"
8. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
(a) "Forgive me."
(b) "My son."
(c) "I have missed you."
9. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
(b) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
(c) The orchestra of Lenin.
(d) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
10. What does Jack to do avoid family togetherness since his father's return?
(a) He reads about foreign travels.
(b) He plays his French horn.
(c) He leaves on his father's motorcycle.
(d) He spends all his time locked in his room.
11. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
(a) "Can you look at this for me, Jack?"
(b) "Need any help, Jackie?"
(c) "You all right there, Jackie?"
(d) "What time is it, Jackie?"
12. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is small and frail with a moustache.
(b) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(c) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(d) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
13. Where does Yegudkin's wife sit while he teaches?
(a) In a rocking chair in the library.
(b) In a rocking chair in his office.
(c) On the bench outside his door.
(d) On the bench outside the library.
14. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
(a) Madness, lust, or gluttony.
(b) Madness, joy, or confusion.
(c) Madness, excitement, or greed.
(d) Madness, anger, or resentment.
15. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
(a) Jack applauds loudly.
(b) Jack stands up and leaves.
(c) Jack gets very angry, but does not speak.
(d) Jack gets very angry and yells at his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
2. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
3. What is Phoebe doing during the homecoming?
4. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
5. What does Yegudkin say as he hands the horn to his student?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)