|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hawthorne do as she talks about Jack's horn playing?
(a) Frowns and tells him to stop practicing.
(b) Smiles but stomps her feet.
(c) Smiles and clasps her hands together.
(d) Frowns and asks for guidance.
2. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
(b) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
(c) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(d) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
3. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
(a) Spats, a long grey overcoat, and a black beret.
(b) A long grey overcoat, a black suit, and a black beret.
(c) Spats, a long black overcoat, and a black fedora.
(d) A long balck overcoat, a grey suit, and a grey fedora.
4. What does Jack use each night to take off his boots?
(a) He just slides out of them.
(b) His hands.
(c) A crowbar.
(d) A bootjack.
5. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
(a) He speaks clearly.
(b) He whispers too softly for anyone to hear.
(c) He mumbles to his sister.
(d) He yells at his father.
6. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
(a) His father.
(b) His school work.
(c) His need to get away for awhile.
(d) His lack of friends.
7. What does Jack to do avoid family togetherness since his father's return?
(a) He spends all his time locked in his room.
(b) He plays his French horn.
(c) He reads about foreign travels.
(d) He leaves on his father's motorcycle.
8. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(b) The lowest note of the horn, D.
(c) The highest note of the horn, E.
(d) The highest note of the horn, B.
9. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
(a) His hands were shaking and he was laughing.
(b) His eyes were wide open and he was screaming.
(c) His knees were weak and his heart was pounding.
(d) His back hurt and he tries to sit down.
10. What does Jack have tucked under his arms as he starts for home?
(a) HIs horn and his music.
(b) His horn and his coat.
(c) His horn and his lunch.
(d) His horn and his hat.
11. Where does Yegudkin's wife sit while he teaches?
(a) On the bench outside the library.
(b) In a rocking chair in the library.
(c) On the bench outside his door.
(d) In a rocking chair in his office.
12. What is Jack's horn teacher's nickname?
(a) The General.
(b) The Private.
(c) The Major.
(d) The Sergeant.
13. What does Yegudkin say as he hands the horn to his student?
(a) "Good instrument."
(b) "Good horn."
(c) "Good sound."
(d) "Good luck."
14. How does Jack feel as he nears the homecoming scene?
(a) Exhausted and childlike.
(b) Relieved and exhausted.
(c) Dizzy and nauseated.
(d) Happy and grateful.
15. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
(a) Puts down his horn case and buys a hotdog from the vendor.
(b) Puts down his horn case and wipes away his tears.
(c) Puts down his horn case and lights a cigarette.
(d) Puts down his horn case and calls home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
2. How does the graduate student react to his teacher's horn playing?
3. What is one thing Dale does after being home a month?
4. How does Dale react to being home?
5. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)