|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What other things does Dale read in public?
(a) Some of Jack's poetry written when he was younger.
(b) Some of his mother's journal entries during her son's death.
(c) Some of his journal entries from his son's death.
(d) Some of Phoebe's poems from second grade.
2. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The lowest note of the horn, D.
(b) The highest note of the horn, B.
(c) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(d) The highest note of the horn, E.
3. How does Yegudkin react to the question Jack asks him when Yegudkin has finished playing?
(a) He laughs loudly and his eyes widen.
(b) He laughs loudly and turns to the graduate student.
(c) He laughs loudly and says "no."
(d) He laughs loudly and nudges Jack in the side.
4. What does Yegudkin do while Jack is playing the horn at his lesson?
(a) He points at the music and corrects Jack's playing.
(b) He hums along with the music.
(c) He sits quietly and listens.
(d) He sings and gestures.
5. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
(a) "Jackie, come in. It's all over. You dad's come home."
(b) "Jackie, come in. Your fatehr is glad to see you."
(c) "Jackie, come in. Everything is fine now."
(d) "Jackie, come in. Your father is ill."
6. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
(a) "I have missed you."
(b) "I hate you."
(c) "Welcome home."
(d) "I love you."
7. What does Yegudkin say as he hands the horn to his student?
(a) "Good luck."
(b) "Good horn."
(c) "Good instrument."
(d) "Good sound."
8. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
(b) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(c) He is small and frail with a moustache.
(d) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
9. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
(a) Third chair French horn.
(b) Fourth chair French horn.
(c) First chair French horn.
(d) Second chair French horn.
10. What is in the shallow drawer of Yegudkin's desk in his office?
(a) Mouthpieces for horns.
(b) Letters from family in Russia.
(c) Reeds for instruments.
(d) Tools for repairing horns.
11. What musical instrument is in the living room?
(a) A harp.
(b) A French horn.
(c) A piano.
(d) A cello.
12. How old is Yegudkin when we meet him?
13. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
(a) In his home for his friends.
(b) In the neighborhood or in the school band on holidays.
(c) At church or on street corners after dinner.
(d) At church or at home for guests.
14. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says "Love you, dad."
(b) He says "Why have you come home?"
(c) He says, "Welcome home."
(d) He says simply "Hi, dad."
15. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
(a) Smiling, excited shoppers.
(b) Dazed, smiling shoppers.
(c) Dazed, irritable shoppers.
(d) Smiling, happy shoppers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
2. How does Yegudkin's wife survive their ordeal?
3. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
4. Where do the Yegudkins go after leaving Russia?
5. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)