|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yegudkin do while Jack is playing the horn at his lesson?
(a) He points at the music and corrects Jack's playing.
(b) He sings and gestures.
(c) He sits quietly and listens.
(d) He hums along with the music.
2. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
(a) "How did you learn to play runs that fast?"
(b) "Do you think I'll ever play like that?"
(c) "Have you always played that well?"
(d) "How did you memorize all of that?"
3. After leaving Russia, what does Yegudkin do in his new country?
(a) He plays French horn to great praise by the critics.
(b) He finds a factory job in a city.
(c) He studies with a French historian.
(d) He stays home and cares for his wife.
4. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
(a) At the time of the Revolution.
(b) After the Russians invaded China.
(c) During the Korean War.
(d) Before Czar Nikolai took over the country.
5. Where does Yegudkin give his lessons on Saturdays?
(a) On the first floor of Seton Hall.
(b) On the second floor of Killburn Hall.
(c) On the first floor of Killburn Hall.
(d) On the second floor of Seton Hall.
6. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
(a) He yells at his father.
(b) He speaks clearly.
(c) He whispers too softly for anyone to hear.
(d) He mumbles to his sister.
7. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
(a) Puts down his horn case and lights a cigarette.
(b) Puts down his horn case and wipes away his tears.
(c) Puts down his horn case and calls home.
(d) Puts down his horn case and buys a hotdog from the vendor.
8. How does Dale react to being home?
(a) He talks to his brothers about redemption.
(b) He works, prays and drinks.
(c) He smokes, paces and rides his motorcycle.
(d) He spends his time isolated and quiet.
9. What are the names of Jack's aunt and uncle who are in the house for Dale's homecoming?
(a) Anne and Walt.
(b) Ruth and David.
(c) Ruth and Walt.
(d) Ruth and Ben.
10. What is an "Alexander?"
(a) A type of tuba.
(b) A type of trombone.
(c) A type of trumpet.
(d) A type of French horn.
11. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
(a) He dislikes how they smile, cry, and lift their heads.
(b) He dislikes how they are faking their tears.
(c) He dislikes all of the attention they give Dale.
(d) He dislikes how rude they are in church.
12. Now that his father is home, what does Jack tell himself at night when he is alone?
(a) "They will wake up and find me gone."
(b) "They will wake up and find me married."
(c) "They will wake up and find me dead."
(d) "They will wake up and find I am famous."
13. Where do the Yegudkins live in America?
(a) Rochester, Indiana
(b) Rochester, New York
(c) Rochester, New Jersey
(d) Rochester, Minnesota
14. What does Yegudkin say as he hands the horn to his student?
(a) "Good instrument."
(b) "Good sound."
(c) "Good horn."
(d) "Good luck."
15. What does Jack to do avoid family togetherness since his father's return?
(a) He plays his French horn.
(b) He spends all his time locked in his room.
(c) He reads about foreign travels.
(d) He leaves on his father's motorcycle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
2. What does Jack have tucked under his arms as he starts for home?
3. What other things does Dale read in public?
4. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
5. What is one thing Dale does after being home a month?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)