|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
(a) Jack gets very angry, but does not speak.
(b) Jack gets very angry and yells at his father.
(c) Jack applauds loudly.
(d) Jack stands up and leaves.
2. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
(a) "Need any help, Jackie?"
(b) "You all right there, Jackie?"
(c) "What time is it, Jackie?"
(d) "Can you look at this for me, Jack?"
3. What other things does Dale read in public?
(a) Some of Phoebe's poems from second grade.
(b) Some of Jack's poetry written when he was younger.
(c) Some of his mother's journal entries during her son's death.
(d) Some of his journal entries from his son's death.
4. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
(a) He dislikes all of the attention they give Dale.
(b) He dislikes how rude they are in church.
(c) He dislikes how they smile, cry, and lift their heads.
(d) He dislikes how they are faking their tears.
5. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
(a) The United States and Russia.
(b) His experience of leaving Russia.
(c) His hatred of America.
(d) The United States and it's military power.
6. Where does Yegudkin give his lessons on Saturdays?
(a) On the first floor of Killburn Hall.
(b) On the second floor of Seton Hall.
(c) On the first floor of Seton Hall.
(d) On the second floor of Killburn Hall.
7. Where does Jack take his French horn lessons?
(a) New York University.
(b) The Julliard School.
(c) The Eastman School of Music.
(d) The New School.
8. What does Yegudkin say to Jack at the end of their lesson?
(a) "Next Saturday?"
(b) "Next month?"
(c) "Next lesson?"
(d) "Next week?"
9. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
(b) A pail of milk.
(c) His heavy coat.
(d) A carton of apples.
10. What is the foundation note for the horn Yegudkin is playing?
(a) The highest note of the horn, E.
(b) The lowest note of the horn, F.
(c) The lowest note of the horn, D.
(d) The highest note of the horn, B.
11. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if angels had entered the room.
(b) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
(c) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
(d) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
12. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says "Why have you come home?"
(b) He says, "Welcome home."
(c) He says "Love you, dad."
(d) He says simply "Hi, dad."
13. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
(a) His school work.
(b) His father.
(c) His need to get away for awhile.
(d) His lack of friends.
14. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
(a) His sister is practicing her piano.
(b) The house is unusually quiet.
(c) His mother is asleep on the couch.
(d) All of the lights are on.
15. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
(a) They think he is being mean to his father.
(b) They think he is not a good horn player.
(c) They believe there is nothing they can do about his isolation.
(d) They know he will grow out of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
2. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
3. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
4. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
5. On what day are Jack's music lessons?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)