|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
(a) His hatred of America.
(b) The United States and Russia.
(c) The United States and it's military power.
(d) His experience of leaving Russia.
2. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
(a) "That boy is headed for trouble."
(b) "If it makes him happy, it makes me happy."
(c) "That horn's his whole world."
(d) "Maybe he will be a famous musician."
3. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
(a) He reads from the Bible at the Grange.
(b) He takes up the guitar.
(c) He begins to rebuild the barn.
(d) He reads from the Bible at church.
4. What does Jack's father do when he sees his son standing in the doorway?
(a) Turns away embarrassed.
(b) Smiles broadly.
(c) Puts his glasses on.
(d) Bursts into tears.
5. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
(a) His need to get away for awhile.
(b) His lack of friends.
(c) His school work.
(d) His father.
6. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
(b) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
(c) As if angels had entered the room.
(d) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
7. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
(a) "I hate you."
(b) "Welcome home."
(c) "I love you."
(d) "I have missed you."
8. What is one thing Dale does after being home a month?
(a) He begins to come home drunk
(b) He begins writing love poems.
(c) He begins reciting again poetry at the Grange.
(d) He takes over the grocery shopping.
9. Where do the Yegudkins live in America?
(a) Rochester, New York
(b) Rochester, Minnesota
(c) Rochester, Indiana
(d) Rochester, New Jersey
10. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
(a) "I Lean on the Lord" and "Why Must This Be?"
(b) "The Weight of the World" and "Sufferers Be Still."
(c) "Tomorrow's Bridge" and "This Too Will Pass."
(d) "Bridge to Madison County" and "My Way."
11. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(b) Chords, notes and etudes.
(c) Scales, runs, and chords.
(d) Scales, notes and etudes.
12. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
(a) "My son."
(b) "Forgive me."
(c) "I have missed you."
13. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
(a) "Do you think I'll ever play like that?"
(b) "Have you always played that well?"
(c) "How did you memorize all of that?"
(d) "How did you learn to play runs that fast?"
14. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
(a) A long balck overcoat, a grey suit, and a grey fedora.
(b) Spats, a long black overcoat, and a black fedora.
(c) Spats, a long grey overcoat, and a black beret.
(d) A long grey overcoat, a black suit, and a black beret.
15. For what orchestra does Jack play?
(a) The Brooklyn Civic Orchestra.
(b) The Batavia Civic Orchestra.
(c) The Newark Civic Orchestra.
(d) The New York City Civic Orchestra.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
2. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
3. What does Jack notice about his father since his return home?
4. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
5. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)