|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
(a) He has missed his bus.
(b) He needs to stop at the store before going home.
(c) He has to get change to get on the bus.
(d) He has a twenty minute walk ahead of him.
2. What does Yegudkin say as he hands the horn to his student?
(a) "Good horn."
(b) "Good sound."
(c) "Good luck."
(d) "Good instrument."
3. What does Jack notice about his father since his return home?
(a) HIs eyes not longer sparkle, and he does not have a actor's style.
(b) He has lost his sense of humor.
(c) He does not like to talk to people anymore.
(d) His eyes no longer work as well as they used to.
4. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
(a) His mother is asleep on the couch.
(b) The house is unusually quiet.
(c) His sister is practicing her piano.
(d) All of the lights are on.
5. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
(a) "I Lean on the Lord" and "Why Must This Be?"
(b) "Tomorrow's Bridge" and "This Too Will Pass."
(c) "The Weight of the World" and "Sufferers Be Still."
(d) "Bridge to Madison County" and "My Way."
6. Who takes Yegudkin and his wife away from their home?
(a) The Polish National Army.
(b) The Nazis.
(c) The Army of the United States.
(d) The Bolsheviks.
7. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(b) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
(c) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
(d) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
8. When Jack opens the living room door, what is his father doing in the living room?
(a) Talking to Phoebe.
(b) Crying in his wife's lap.
(c) Asking about the farm.
(d) Laughing with his brothers.
9. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
(a) Spats, a long black overcoat, and a black fedora.
(b) A long balck overcoat, a grey suit, and a grey fedora.
(c) A long grey overcoat, a black suit, and a black beret.
(d) Spats, a long grey overcoat, and a black beret.
10. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
(a) "That boy is headed for trouble."
(b) "If it makes him happy, it makes me happy."
(c) "That horn's his whole world."
(d) "Maybe he will be a famous musician."
11. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
(a) Third chair French horn.
(b) Second chair French horn.
(c) First chair French horn.
(d) Fourth chair French horn.
12. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
(a) "Jackie, come in. It's all over. You dad's come home."
(b) "Jackie, come in. Your father is ill."
(c) "Jackie, come in. Everything is fine now."
(d) "Jackie, come in. Your fatehr is glad to see you."
13. What is Phoebe doing during the homecoming?
(a) Asking her aunt what to make for dinner.
(b) Talking to her cousins.
(c) Looking for Jack.
(d) Sitting next to her mother and hugging both her mother and father.
14. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
(a) They think he is being mean to his father.
(b) They think he is not a good horn player.
(c) They believe there is nothing they can do about his isolation.
(d) They know he will grow out of it.
15. What does Mrs. Hawthorne do as she talks about Jack's horn playing?
(a) Frowns and asks for guidance.
(b) Smiles but stomps her feet.
(c) Smiles and clasps her hands together.
(d) Frowns and tells him to stop practicing.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Yegudkin giving the Alexander?
2. What does Jack's father do when he sees his son standing in the doorway?
3. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
4. What does Yegudkin tell Jack of Russia and its power?
5. Since his return home, what about Dale's public readings does Jack disdain?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)