|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Yegudkin's playing the French horn?
(a) As if a thousand brass bands were playing.
(b) As if an unskilled musician had played the horn.
(c) As if a creature from some other universe had appeared in the room.
(d) As if angels had entered the room.
2. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Newark Express.
(b) The Express.
(c) The Bluebue.
(d) The Greenbus.
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
(a) They think he is being mean to his father.
(b) They believe there is nothing they can do about his isolation.
(c) They think he is not a good horn player.
(d) They know he will grow out of it.
4. What happens when the Yegudkins are on their way to Siberia?
(a) They are returned to Kerensky.
(b) They are picked up by soldiers and brought to Kiev.
(c) They are shot and left for dead.
(d) They are put in work camps.
5. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Chords, notes and etudes.
(b) Scales, notes and etudes.
(c) Scales, runs, and chords.
(d) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
6. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
(a) His school work.
(b) His father.
(c) His lack of friends.
(d) His need to get away for awhile.
7. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
(a) Puts down his horn case and wipes away his tears.
(b) Puts down his horn case and lights a cigarette.
(c) Puts down his horn case and calls home.
(d) Puts down his horn case and buys a hotdog from the vendor.
8. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
(b) The orchestra of Lenin.
(c) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
(d) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
9. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says, "Welcome home."
(b) He says "Love you, dad."
(c) He says simply "Hi, dad."
(d) He says "Why have you come home?"
10. How does the graduate student react to his teacher's horn playing?
(a) He sits, hands in the air, stunned.
(b) He sits, arms crossed, dismayed.
(c) He sits, hands on his knees, in a daze.
(d) He sits, legs folded, and waits.
11. After his return, what does Dale Hawthorne do while he recites in public?
(a) He cries and speaks carefully.
(b) He curses the gods.
(c) He avoids the eyes of his listeners.
(d) He gesticulates.
12. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
(a) "You all right there, Jackie?"
(b) "Can you look at this for me, Jack?"
(c) "What time is it, Jackie?"
(d) "Need any help, Jackie?"
13. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
(a) Smiling, excited shoppers.
(b) Dazed, irritable shoppers.
(c) Dazed, smiling shoppers.
(d) Smiling, happy shoppers.
14. Who takes Yegudkin and his wife away from their home?
(a) The Bolsheviks.
(b) The Polish National Army.
(c) The Army of the United States.
(d) The Nazis.
15. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
(a) Madness, excitement, or greed.
(b) Madness, anger, or resentment.
(c) Madness, lust, or gluttony.
(d) Madness, joy, or confusion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
2. How does Dale react to being home?
3. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
4. Since his return home, what about Dale's public readings does Jack disdain?
5. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)