|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an "Alexander?"
(a) A type of trombone.
(b) A type of French horn.
(c) A type of trumpet.
(d) A type of tuba.
2. What are the names of Jack's aunt and uncle who are in the house for Dale's homecoming?
(a) Ruth and Ben.
(b) Anne and Walt.
(c) Ruth and David.
(d) Ruth and Walt.
3. How does Jack feel about his father now that Dale has been gone for three weeks?
(a) He is both hateful and envious.
(b) He does not understand what his father is doing.
(c) He is frightened and wants his father home.
(d) He does not want his father to come home until fall.
4. Now that his father is home, what does Jack tell himself at night when he is alone?
(a) "They will wake up and find me married."
(b) "They will wake up and find me gone."
(c) "They will wake up and find me dead."
(d) "They will wake up and find I am famous."
5. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
(a) His hatred of America.
(b) The United States and it's military power.
(c) The United States and Russia.
(d) His experience of leaving Russia.
6. Where does Yegudkin give his lessons on Saturdays?
(a) On the second floor of Seton Hall.
(b) On the first floor of Seton Hall.
(c) On the first floor of Killburn Hall.
(d) On the second floor of Killburn Hall.
7. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) If he does not say grace, he will go to Hell.
(b) If he does not say grace, he will be cursed.
(c) If he does not say grace, there might be no heaven.
(d) If he does not say grace, he does not love his dead brother.
8. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Bluebue.
(b) The Express.
(c) The Newark Express.
(d) The Greenbus.
9. What does Jack notice about his father since his return home?
(a) He has lost his sense of humor.
(b) HIs eyes not longer sparkle, and he does not have a actor's style.
(c) He does not like to talk to people anymore.
(d) His eyes no longer work as well as they used to.
10. How does Yegudkin's wife survive their ordeal?
(a) She is hardly harmed by the soldiers.
(b) She is left behind and lives in a work camp.
(c) She is terribly crippled from the gunshots.
(d) She is blinded by the wounds she received.
11. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
(a) The stupidity of musicians.
(b) His love for America.
(c) The stupidity of mankind.
(d) The beauty of the world.
12. How does Dale react to being home?
(a) He talks to his brothers about redemption.
(b) He works, prays and drinks.
(c) He spends his time isolated and quiet.
(d) He smokes, paces and rides his motorcycle.
13. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(b) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(c) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
(d) He is small and frail with a moustache.
14. What does Jack to do avoid family togetherness since his father's return?
(a) He reads about foreign travels.
(b) He spends all his time locked in his room.
(c) He plays his French horn.
(d) He leaves on his father's motorcycle.
15. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
(a) Jack applauds loudly.
(b) Jack gets very angry and yells at his father.
(c) Jack stands up and leaves.
(d) Jack gets very angry, but does not speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack use each night to take off his boots?
2. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
3. What is Jack's horn teacher's nickname?
4. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
5. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)