|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
(a) His eyes were wide open and he was screaming.
(b) His back hurt and he tries to sit down.
(c) His hands were shaking and he was laughing.
(d) His knees were weak and his heart was pounding.
2. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
(a) His father.
(b) His lack of friends.
(c) His need to get away for awhile.
(d) His school work.
3. What does Jack say to his father while he stands in the living room door?
(a) He says "Why have you come home?"
(b) He says "Love you, dad."
(c) He says simply "Hi, dad."
(d) He says, "Welcome home."
4. What makes Jack turn his head and look up while he is thinking and preparing the cows for milking in the barn?
(a) One of the farmhands needs help.
(b) His cousin asks him a question.
(c) HIs uncle speaks to him.
(d) His mother come to talk to him.
5. How does Jack react to the answer Yegudkin gives him after playing the horn for his student?
(a) He blinks and smiles.
(b) He blinks and begins to sob.
(c) He blinks and his legs go weak.
(d) He blinks and leaves the room.
6. How does Yegudkin's wife survive their ordeal?
(a) She is blinded by the wounds she received.
(b) She is terribly crippled from the gunshots.
(c) She is hardly harmed by the soldiers.
(d) She is left behind and lives in a work camp.
7. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
(b) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(c) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
(d) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
8. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Bluebue.
(b) The Greenbus.
(c) The Express.
(d) The Newark Express.
9. What does Jack do when he finally enters the living room?
(a) He stands next to his father and pats his back.
(b) He kneels next to his father and puts his arm around him.
(c) He stands next to his aunt and uncle.
(d) He sits next to his mother on the couch.
10. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Lenin.
(b) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
(c) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
(d) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
11. How does Jack feel as he nears the homecoming scene?
(a) Relieved and exhausted.
(b) Exhausted and childlike.
(c) Dizzy and nauseated.
(d) Happy and grateful.
12. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
(a) "If it makes him happy, it makes me happy."
(b) "Maybe he will be a famous musician."
(c) "That horn's his whole world."
(d) "That boy is headed for trouble."
13. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Chords, notes and etudes.
(b) Scales, runs, and chords.
(c) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(d) Scales, notes and etudes.
14. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) If he does not say grace, he does not love his dead brother.
(b) If he does not say grace, he will be cursed.
(c) If he does not say grace, there might be no heaven.
(d) If he does not say grace, he will go to Hell.
15. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
(a) They think he is not a good horn player.
(b) They know he will grow out of it.
(c) They think he is being mean to his father.
(d) They believe there is nothing they can do about his isolation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel about his father now that Dale has been gone for three weeks?
2. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
3. Since his return home, what about Dale's public readings does Jack disdain?
4. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
5. To whom is Yegudkin giving the Alexander?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)