|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dale react to being home?
(a) He smokes, paces and rides his motorcycle.
(b) He works, prays and drinks.
(c) He spends his time isolated and quiet.
(d) He talks to his brothers about redemption.
2. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
(a) He begins to rebuild the barn.
(b) He takes up the guitar.
(c) He reads from the Bible at church.
(d) He reads from the Bible at the Grange.
3. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
(a) During the Korean War.
(b) At the time of the Revolution.
(c) Before Czar Nikolai took over the country.
(d) After the Russians invaded China.
4. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
(a) At church or on street corners after dinner.
(b) In the neighborhood or in the school band on holidays.
(c) At church or at home for guests.
(d) In his home for his friends.
5. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) If he does not say grace, there might be no heaven.
(b) If he does not say grace, he will be cursed.
(c) If he does not say grace, he does not love his dead brother.
(d) If he does not say grace, he will go to Hell.
6. For what orchestra does Jack play?
(a) The Newark Civic Orchestra.
(b) The Brooklyn Civic Orchestra.
(c) The Batavia Civic Orchestra.
(d) The New York City Civic Orchestra.
7. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
(a) "I Lean on the Lord" and "Why Must This Be?"
(b) "Bridge to Madison County" and "My Way."
(c) "The Weight of the World" and "Sufferers Be Still."
(d) "Tomorrow's Bridge" and "This Too Will Pass."
8. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
(a) He speaks clearly.
(b) He whispers too softly for anyone to hear.
(c) He mumbles to his sister.
(d) He yells at his father.
9. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(b) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
(c) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
(d) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
10. How does Jack feel about his mother and sister's reactions to Dale's readings in public?
(a) He dislikes how rude they are in church.
(b) He dislikes how they smile, cry, and lift their heads.
(c) He dislikes how they are faking their tears.
(d) He dislikes all of the attention they give Dale.
11. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Scales, runs, and chords.
(b) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(c) Scales, notes and etudes.
(d) Chords, notes and etudes.
12. On what day are Jack's music lessons?
13. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "I hate you."
(c) "I have missed you."
(d) "Welcome home."
14. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
(b) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
(c) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
(d) The orchestra of Lenin.
15. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(b) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(c) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
(d) He is small and frail with a moustache.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do when he finally enters the living room?
2. What does Yegudkin talk about while Jack is resting between pieces?
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
4. What does Jack realize he is doing as he gets close to his father?
5. How does Jack feel about his father now that Dale has been gone for three weeks?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)