|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
(b) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(c) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
(d) He is small and frail with a moustache.
2. What does Jack use each night to take off his boots?
(a) He just slides out of them.
(b) A crowbar.
(c) His hands.
(d) A bootjack.
3. How does Yegudkin's wife survive their ordeal?
(a) She is left behind and lives in a work camp.
(b) She is terribly crippled from the gunshots.
(c) She is hardly harmed by the soldiers.
(d) She is blinded by the wounds she received.
4. What makes Jack turn his head and look up while he is thinking and preparing the cows for milking in the barn?
(a) His cousin asks him a question.
(b) One of the farmhands needs help.
(c) His mother come to talk to him.
(d) HIs uncle speaks to him.
5. What does Jack have tucked under his arms as he starts for home?
(a) His horn and his hat.
(b) His horn and his lunch.
(c) HIs horn and his music.
(d) His horn and his coat.
6. What other things does Dale read in public?
(a) Some of his journal entries from his son's death.
(b) Some of Phoebe's poems from second grade.
(c) Some of Jack's poetry written when he was younger.
(d) Some of his mother's journal entries during her son's death.
7. Where does Jack take his French horn lessons?
(a) New York University.
(b) The New School.
(c) The Eastman School of Music.
(d) The Julliard School.
8. How does Jack feel when his aunt speaks to him in the living room?
(a) His hands were shaking and he was laughing.
(b) His back hurt and he tries to sit down.
(c) His knees were weak and his heart was pounding.
(d) His eyes were wide open and he was screaming.
9. What does Jack conclude about his teacher?
(a) Yegudkin hates America and misses Russia.
(b) Yegudkin hates both America and Russia.
(c) Yegudkin loves America and hates Russia.
(d) Yegudkin loves Russia and hates America.
10. Now that his father is home, what does Jack tell himself at night when he is alone?
(a) "They will wake up and find I am famous."
(b) "They will wake up and find me gone."
(c) "They will wake up and find me dead."
(d) "They will wake up and find me married."
11. What does Jack know as he begins his walk down the street toward home?
(a) He has a twenty minute walk ahead of him.
(b) He has missed his bus.
(c) He needs to stop at the store before going home.
(d) He has to get change to get on the bus.
12. What position does Jack play in the orchestra?
(a) Fourth chair French horn.
(b) Second chair French horn.
(c) First chair French horn.
(d) Third chair French horn.
13. Where do the Yegudkins go after leaving Russia?
(a) To India.
(b) To China.
(c) To Greece.
(d) To Europe.
14. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
(a) A pail of milk.
(c) A carton of apples.
(d) His heavy coat.
15. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
(a) "I have missed you."
(c) "My son."
(d) "Forgive me."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
2. After leaving Russia, what does Yegudkin do in his new country?
3. What does Jack realize when he is doing his chores the night after lunch with Phoebe?
4. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
5. What is Jack's horn teacher's nickname?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)