|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what orchestra does Yegudkin play before he comes to New York?
(a) The orchestra of Brezhnev.
(b) The orchestra of Lenin.
(c) The orchestra of Czar Nikolai.
(d) The orchestra of Tsar Stalin.
2. What does Yegudkin look like?
(a) He is muscular with black hair and a moustache.
(b) He is small and frail with a moustache.
(c) He is tall and thin with a silver moustache.
(d) He is short and stocky with a red moustache.
3. What is an "Alexander?"
(a) A type of French horn.
(b) A type of trumpet.
(c) A type of trombone.
(d) A type of tuba.
4. What bus does Jack take to his music lessons?
(a) The Greenbus.
(b) The Express.
(c) The Bluebue.
(d) The Newark Express.
5. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
(a) He whispers too softly for anyone to hear.
(b) He mumbles to his sister.
(c) He speaks clearly.
(d) He yells at his father.
6. What does Jack use each night to take off his boots?
(a) A crowbar.
(b) He just slides out of them.
(c) A bootjack.
(d) His hands.
7. When Jack opens the living room door, what is his father doing in the living room?
(a) Talking to Phoebe.
(b) Crying in his wife's lap.
(c) Laughing with his brothers.
(d) Asking about the farm.
8. What kinds of things does Yegudkin play on the horn?
(a) Scales, etudes and whole notes.
(b) Chords, notes and etudes.
(c) Scales, notes and etudes.
(d) Scales, runs, and chords.
9. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
(a) Jack gets very angry and yells at his father.
(b) Jack gets very angry, but does not speak.
(c) Jack applauds loudly.
(d) Jack stands up and leaves.
10. How does Yegudkin react to the question Jack asks him when Yegudkin has finished playing?
(a) He laughs loudly and his eyes widen.
(b) He laughs loudly and says "no."
(c) He laughs loudly and turns to the graduate student.
(d) He laughs loudly and nudges Jack in the side.
11. What does Jack bring with him each night when he returns from milking the cows?
(a) A carton of apples.
(b) A pail of milk.
(c) His heavy coat.
12. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
(a) "You all right there, Jackie?"
(b) "Need any help, Jackie?"
(c) "Can you look at this for me, Jack?"
(d) "What time is it, Jackie?"
13. How does the graduate student react to his teacher's horn playing?
(a) He sits, hands in the air, stunned.
(b) He sits, legs folded, and waits.
(c) He sits, arms crossed, dismayed.
(d) He sits, hands on his knees, in a daze.
14. What are some of the composers Jack practices in his lessons?
(a) Kopprasch, Gallay and Kling.
(b) Kopprasch, Gauche and Kline.
(c) Kopprasch, Gallette and Klien.
(d) Kopprasch, Guiness and Kling.
15. Where does Jack take his French horn lessons?
(a) The Julliard School.
(b) The Eastman School of Music.
(c) New York University.
(d) The New School.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
2. Where does Yegudkin give his lessons on Saturdays?
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
4. What does Yegudkin do while Jack is playing the horn at his lesson?
5. What does Jack say as he is united with his father?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)