|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where on the farm does Jack work with his uncles?
(a) In the silo shoveling grain.
(b) In the back forty with the cultipacker.
(c) In the fields with the tractors.
(d) In the dairy barn with the cows.
2. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
(a) Because his family would not collect the life insurance.
(b) Because he would not be able to see his family in prison.
(c) Because the farm has been in his family for generations.
(d) Because of what it would do to his wife and family.
3. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The compactor.
(b) The trailor.
(c) The tractor.
(d) The cultipacker.
4. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
(a) The crack of his brother's skull.
(b) The sound of heavy equipment.
(c) The thunder following the lightening strike.
(d) His sister's scream.
5. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
(a) "My, what big hands he has!"
(b) "This is your son, Betty?"
(c) "He has gotten so tall!"
(d) "My, what long blond hair he has!"
6. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(c) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
(d) Happy that he is so much like his father.
7. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
(a) Riding on the tractor at work.
(b) In the shower.
(c) Milking the cows.
(d) Sitting in his bed at night.
8. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
(a) Early morning.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
9. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
(a) He is funny and entertaining.
(b) He is quiet and aloof.
(c) He is bored and disinterested.
(d) He is angry and yelling.
10. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
(a) To pick up everything, put it all in the basket, and bring the basket home.
(b) To pick up everything, throw it away, and go home.
(c) To fill the basket with dirty laundry and bring it home.
(d) To leave the basket and the leftovers for Jack to bring back later.
11. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
(b) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(c) By playing cards with friends.
(d) By crying nightly with the children.
12. Who are the heroines of Jack's stories?
(a) His sister and his French horn teacher.
(b) His teacher and a schoolgirl named Margaret.
(c) His mother and his sister, Phoebe.
(d) A schoolgirl named Margaret and his cousin, Linda.
13. What can Jack hear from the other workers sitting at the other lunch site?
(b) Laughter over a joke told by his cousin.
(c) A man yelling over to him.
(d) Laughter and yelling.
14. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
(a) Lying on the cow-barn floor crying.
(b) Lying on the couch watching tv.
(c) Lying in bed drinking.
(d) Lyning in the hammock in the back field.
15. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man is Jack's father?
2. How much time has passed between David's death and harvest time in the fields?
3. What have his co-workers accepted about Jack when he stops working for lunch?
4. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
5. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)