|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the time of the harvest, how long has Jack's father been gone?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Five weeks.
(d) Three months.
2. To whom does Jack confide in and tell his tractor stories?
(a) No one.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His uncle.
3. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Eating constantly.
(b) Drinking beer all day.
(c) Talking in his sleep.
(d) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
4. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
(a) In the kitchen with his mother and sister.
(b) In the barn with the cows.
(c) In the fields with his uncles
(d) On the tractor with his father.
5. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The trailor.
(b) The cultipacker.
(c) The tractor.
(d) The compactor.
6. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
(a) His continued torment over his brother's death.
(b) His loneliness and alienation.
(c) His anger toward his sister.
(d) HIs physical condition after a morning's work in the field.
7. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
8. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) The clouds in the sky.
(b) The sound of the birds in the trees.
(c) The horizon.
(d) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
9. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(a) Newly cultivated corn.
(b) Ready to harvest wheat.
(c) Alfalfa and soybeans.
10. What does Jack notice about his sister as she is laying out the food?
(a) She is smiling and acting like she is playing house.
(b) She is weak with hunger.
(c) She is falling asleep from exhaustion.
(d) She is crying and very unhappy.
11. How old is Jack's mother?
12. What are Jack's chores after the accident?
(a) He works the farm land and equipment.
(b) He paints the barn.
(c) He collects the eggs.
(d) He runs errands.
13. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(b) Happy that he is so much like his father.
(d) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
14. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
(a) He confesses to his desire to run away.
(b) He confides in them his fears about his sister.
(c) He confesses his worthlessness and names his faults.
(d) He confides in them about his anger at this father.
15. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
(a) Jack and the accident.
(b) Democrats and the weather.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Feed and grain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
2. How far is the Hawthorne farm from the nearest house?
3. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
4. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
5. What musical instrument does Jack's mother force on him?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)