|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Mopping the floor.
(b) Making cakes.
(c) Scrubbing the sink.
(d) Making chicken salad.
2. While riding on the tractor, what things does Jack say about himself to himself?
(a) He is almost a teeneager and has his whole life ahead of him.
(b) He should never have been driving the tractor in the first place.
(c) He is spiritually defective and evil.
(d) He is guilty but feels better each day.
3. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(a) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
(d) Happy that he is so much like his father.
4. How does Jack respond to Phoebe's question at the beginning of lunch?
(a) "I'd rather be alone."
(b) "Not really."
(c) "I am fine for now."
(d) "No thank you."
5. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
(a) A long handled shovel.
(b) A metal trowel.
(c) A blunt wooden scraper.
(d) A push broom.
6. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
(b) The sound of the birds in the trees.
(c) The horizon.
(d) The clouds in the sky.
7. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
(a) "My, what big hands he has!"
(b) "He has gotten so tall!"
(c) "My, what long blond hair he has!"
(d) "This is your son, Betty?"
8. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
(b) Selling the farm and moving away.
(c) Committing murder.
(d) Committing suicide.
9. How much time has passed between David's death and harvest time in the fields?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Three years.
(d) A year and a half.
10. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
(a) His loneliness and alienation.
(b) HIs physical condition after a morning's work in the field.
(c) His continued torment over his brother's death.
(d) His anger toward his sister.
11. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
(a) He is happy with the lunch.
(b) He enjoys being just the two of them for lunch.
(c) He is a very neat eater.
(d) He has said grace in his head.
12. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
13. What does Phoebe give Jack besides his lunch?
(a) A cold Coca-Cola from the house.
(b) A cold Budweiser.
(c) A wet towel.
(d) A thermos for himself.
14. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
(a) He confesses his worthlessness and names his faults.
(b) He confides in them his fears about his sister.
(c) He confesses to his desire to run away.
(d) He confides in them about his anger at this father.
15. What are Jack's chores after the accident?
(a) He paints the barn.
(b) He collects the eggs.
(c) He works the farm land and equipment.
(d) He runs errands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
2. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
3. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
4. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
5. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)