|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion are Jack's uncles?
(d) Christian Scientists.
2. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) The horizon.
(b) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
(c) The clouds in the sky.
(d) The sound of the birds in the trees.
3. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
(a) A blunt wooden scraper.
(b) A metal trowel.
(c) A push broom.
(d) A long handled shovel.
4. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(c) King Richard's
5. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Making cakes.
(b) Mopping the floor.
(c) Scrubbing the sink.
(d) Making chicken salad.
6. What does Jack notice as he takes a long sip from his drink during lunch?
(a) Phoebe looks like she wants to cry.
(b) Phoebe looks like she wants to scream at Jack.
(c) Phoebe looks like she wants to run away.
(d) Phoebe looks like she wants to say something.
7. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
(a) His continued torment over his brother's death.
(b) His loneliness and alienation.
(c) His anger toward his sister.
(d) HIs physical condition after a morning's work in the field.
8. What does Jack do while riding on the tractor?
(a) He plans his escape from his family.
(b) He dreams of better times with his family.
(c) He worries about his mother.
(d) He replays the accident scene again and again.
9. What does Jack finally contemplate while riding on the tractor telling his stories?
10. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
11. In the opening of the story, who dies in April?
(a) David Hawthorne.
(b) Daniel Hawthorne.
(c) John Hawthorne.
(d) Dale Hawthorne.
12. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
(a) Under the overhang on the barn.
(b) With his cousins.
(c) In the shade of an oak tree.
(d) In the shade of an elm away from the others.
13. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
(a) Life on the farm was good and simple before he killed his brother.
(b) Life should be lived to the fullest, now he is stuck on a farm.
(c) Life should be easy and he does not know why it is not easy now.
(d) Life on the farm was a struggle, and now things seeem better.
14. What does Phoebe give Jack besides his lunch?
(a) A cold Coca-Cola from the house.
(b) A thermos for himself.
(c) A cold Budweiser.
(d) A wet towel.
15. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Eating constantly.
(b) Talking in his sleep.
(c) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
(d) Drinking beer all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
2. When Jack is on the tractor and a storm begins, what does he do?
3. How much time has passed between David's death and harvest time in the fields?
4. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
5. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)