|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(a) Newly cultivated corn.
(b) Alfalfa and soybeans.
(d) Ready to harvest wheat.
2. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
(a) He screams at the cows.
(b) He throws stones at the cows.
(c) He beats the cows.
(d) He runs to the barn.
3. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(b) Harley-Davidson 80.
4. For what is Dale Hawthorne well-known in his town?
(a) His drunken fights.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His poetry and his poetry readings.
(d) His prize winning cows.
5. Who does Jack's father blame for his son's death?
(a) His wife.
(c) The tractor.
6. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
(a) Iced water.
(c) Cold milk.
(d) Iced tea.
7. What does Jack do while riding on the tractor?
(a) He replays the accident scene again and again.
(b) He worries about his mother.
(c) He dreams of better times with his family.
(d) He plans his escape from his family.
8. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Selling the farm and moving away.
(b) Committing suicide.
(c) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
(d) Committing murder.
9. How far is the Hawthorne farm from the nearest house?
(a) Five miles.
(b) Half a mile.
(c) Two miles.
(d) One mile.
10. What can Jack hear from the other workers sitting at the other lunch site?
(b) A man yelling over to him.
(c) Laughter and yelling.
(d) Laughter over a joke told by his cousin.
11. In the opening of the story, who dies in April?
(a) Daniel Hawthorne.
(b) John Hawthorne.
(c) David Hawthorne.
(d) Dale Hawthorne.
12. What does Jack's father struggle with about his religious beliefs?
(a) How anyone could not believe in God.
(b) How God could be in Heaven.
(c) How God could let such a horrible thing happen to his child.
(d) Is there a Hell?
13. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
(a) Life on the farm was a struggle, and now things seeem better.
(b) Life on the farm was good and simple before he killed his brother.
(c) Life should be lived to the fullest, now he is stuck on a farm.
(d) Life should be easy and he does not know why it is not easy now.
14. What does Jack notice about his sister as she is laying out the food?
(a) She is crying and very unhappy.
(b) She is weak with hunger.
(c) She is falling asleep from exhaustion.
(d) She is smiling and acting like she is playing house.
15. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
(a) She is sad to see Jack sitting all alone.
(b) She is happy to get out of the house and away from her chores.
(c) She is angry that she has to carry the heavy basket up the hill.
(d) She is disappointed her mother does not join them.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
2. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
3. What does Jack notice as he takes a long sip from his drink during lunch?
4. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
5. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)