|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Committing suicide.
(b) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
(c) Selling the farm and moving away.
(d) Committing murder.
2. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(b) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(c) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(d) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
3. Who does Jack's father blame for his son's death?
(a) His wife.
(c) The tractor.
4. What does Jack do while riding on the tractor?
(a) He dreams of better times with his family.
(b) He plans his escape from his family.
(c) He worries about his mother.
(d) He replays the accident scene again and again.
5. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
(a) Iced water.
(c) Iced tea.
(d) Cold milk.
6. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his right?
(a) Apple orchards.
(b) Newly cultivated corn.
(c) Blueberries and blackberries.
(d) Alfalfa and wheat.
7. For what does Jack's father often abandon his wife and children?
(a) Camping in the Rockies.
(b) Drinking binges.
(c) Love affairs with other women.
(d) Trips to the city to gamble.
8. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(c) Harley-Davidson 80.
9. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
(a) Running away to desert islands.
(b) Self-sacrifice and redemption.
(c) Super heroes and world domination.
(d) Murder and kidnapping.
10. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
(b) Early morning.
(c) Early afternoon.
(d) Late evening.
11. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
12. When Jack is on the tractor and a storm begins, what does he do?
(a) Drives home like a dog in flight.
(b) Gets off and sits under a tree.
(c) Rides to the edge of the field and waits for the storm to be over.
(d) Goes to the barn and takes a nap.
13. When Jack's father is gone for days, who takes over the work of the farm?
(a) Jack alone.
(b) Jack and his friends.
(c) Jack and hired help.
(d) Jack and his uncles, nieghbors or cousins.
14. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
(a) Life should be easy and he does not know why it is not easy now.
(b) Life on the farm was a struggle, and now things seeem better.
(c) Life should be lived to the fullest, now he is stuck on a farm.
(d) Life on the farm was good and simple before he killed his brother.
15. In the opening of the story, who dies in April?
(a) David Hawthorne.
(b) Dale Hawthorne.
(c) Daniel Hawthorne.
(d) John Hawthorne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack do while waiting for the cows to finish eating?
2. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
3. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
4. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
5. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)