Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(a) Happy that he is so much like his father.
(c) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
2. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he needs more to drink.
(b) If he wants a napkin.
(c) If he wants to say grace.
(d) If he wants to join the others.
3. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
4. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
(a) By telling them the accident was not their fault.
(b) By taking them on long drives.
(c) By reading the Bible to them nightly.
(d) By embracing them and giving constant praise and reassurance.
5. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
(a) In the kitchen with his mother and sister.
(b) On the tractor with his father.
(c) In the fields with his uncles
(d) In the barn with the cows.
6. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
(a) Their wives.
(b) Democrats and the weather.
(c) Jack and the accident.
(d) Feed and grain.
7. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
8. What is one thing Jack's father thinks about when riding his motorcycle?
(a) Leaving his wife and family for another woman.
(b) Committing murder.
(c) Selling the farm and moving away.
(d) Committing suicide.
9. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
(a) He is a very neat eater.
(b) He enjoys being just the two of them for lunch.
(c) He has said grace in his head.
(d) He is happy with the lunch.
10. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(b) Newly cultivated corn.
(c) Alfalfa and soybeans.
(d) Ready to harvest wheat.
11. For what is Dale Hawthorne well-known in his town?
(a) His drunken fights.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His poetry and his poetry readings.
(d) His prize winning cows.
12. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
13. What does Jack do while waiting for the cows to finish eating?
(a) He takes a nap.
(b) He listens to them chew.
(c) He cries in the hay.
(d) He screams at the cows to hurry.
14. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
(a) She is happy to get out of the house and away from her chores.
(b) She is sad to see Jack sitting all alone.
(c) She is angry that she has to carry the heavy basket up the hill.
(d) She is disappointed her mother does not join them.
15. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
(a) A faithful husband and a fair minded, genial farmer.
(b) A reckless man with little control over his family.
(c) A gentle but stupid farmer.
(d) An unfatihful husband and a bad neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
2. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
3. While riding on the tractor, what things does Jack say about himself to himself?
4. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
5. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)