|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(b) King Richard's
2. At the time of the harvest, how long has Jack's father been gone?
(a) Three months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five weeks.
3. What have his co-workers accepted about Jack when he stops working for lunch?
(a) His gregarious ways.
(b) His rudeness.
(c) His huge appetite.
(d) His need to be alone.
4. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
(a) The sound of heavy equipment.
(b) The thunder following the lightening strike.
(c) The crack of his brother's skull.
(d) His sister's scream.
5. While riding on the tractor, what things does Jack say about himself to himself?
(a) He should never have been driving the tractor in the first place.
(b) He is guilty but feels better each day.
(c) He is spiritually defective and evil.
(d) He is almost a teeneager and has his whole life ahead of him.
6. Who does Jack's father blame for his son's death?
(b) The tractor.
(d) His wife.
7. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(c) Harley-Davidson 80.
8. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
(a) She is delighted and runs up the hill.
(b) She is annoyed by the insects flying in her face.
(c) She sees nothing unreasonable about lugging the basket up the hill.
(d) She is obviously frustrated and does not want to walk up the hill.
9. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
(a) Lyning in the hammock in the back field.
(b) Lying in bed drinking.
(c) Lying on the cow-barn floor crying.
(d) Lying on the couch watching tv.
10. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his right?
(a) Alfalfa and wheat.
(b) Newly cultivated corn.
(c) Apple orchards.
(d) Blueberries and blackberries.
11. What sight does Jack see when he remembers his brother's death?
(a) The brake on the tractor.
(b) The evening sky.
(c) The cultipacker rolling over his brother's body.
(d) The cultipacker stalling when it hits his brother.
12. What does Jack do to try and block out the raging in his head?
(a) He stomps his feet and screams.
(b) He waves his hands at the sky.
(c) He grinds his teeth.
(d) He pounds his fist on his head.
13. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) The horizon.
(b) The clouds in the sky.
(c) The sound of the birds in the trees.
(d) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
14. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
(a) He is friendly.
(b) He is aloof.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is furous.
15. How old is the child when he dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the kitchen like in Jack's house?
2. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
3. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
4. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
5. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)