|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack notice as he takes a long sip from his drink during lunch?
(a) Phoebe looks like she wants to run away.
(b) Phoebe looks like she wants to scream at Jack.
(c) Phoebe looks like she wants to cry.
(d) Phoebe looks like she wants to say something.
2. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
(a) There are birds singing in the trees.
(b) There are clouds in the sky predicting rain.
(c) The day has begun to cool down.
(d) It is a breezeless, insect-ridden heat.
3. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
(a) In the fields with his uncles
(b) In the kitchen with his mother and sister.
(c) On the tractor with his father.
(d) In the barn with the cows.
4. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
(a) He is angry and yelling.
(b) He is funny and entertaining.
(c) He is quiet and aloof.
(d) He is bored and disinterested.
5. Who are the heroines of Jack's stories?
(a) His sister and his French horn teacher.
(b) His mother and his sister, Phoebe.
(c) His teacher and a schoolgirl named Margaret.
(d) A schoolgirl named Margaret and his cousin, Linda.
6. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
(a) All of the parts.
(b) The narrator describing the action.
(c) The superhero.
(d) The hero of the stories.
7. What does Jack do while waiting for the cows to finish eating?
(a) He screams at the cows to hurry.
(b) He listens to them chew.
(c) He cries in the hay.
(d) He takes a nap.
8. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
9. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
(a) Cherries and apples.
(b) Huckleberries and blackberries.
(c) Blueberries and raspberries.
(d) Cherries and red raspberries.
10. What is Jack indignant about when he is in the kitchen?
(a) Everyone talking too loudly.
(b) Everyone pretending eveything is ok.
(c) He is the only one working this hard.
(d) HIs mother is eating again.
11. When Jack's father is gone for days, who takes over the work of the farm?
(a) Jack and hired help.
(b) Jack and his uncles, nieghbors or cousins.
(c) Jack and his friends.
(d) Jack alone.
12. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(b) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(c) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(d) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
13. What are Jack's chores after the accident?
(a) He works the farm land and equipment.
(b) He paints the barn.
(c) He collects the eggs.
(d) He runs errands.
14. What does Jack's father struggle with about his religious beliefs?
(a) Is there a Hell?
(b) How God could let such a horrible thing happen to his child.
(c) How God could be in Heaven.
(d) How anyone could not believe in God.
15. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By playing cards with friends.
(b) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(c) By crying nightly with the children.
(d) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
2. How does Jack respond to Phoebe's question at the beginning of lunch?
3. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
4. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
5. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)