|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
(a) Phoebe runs back to give him a hug.
(b) The other men all sit and have a smoke.
(c) His mother standing in the doorway of the kitchen waving to him.
(d) Phoebe turns and waves to him.
2. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
(a) To pick up everything, throw it away, and go home.
(b) To leave the basket and the leftovers for Jack to bring back later.
(c) To fill the basket with dirty laundry and bring it home.
(d) To pick up everything, put it all in the basket, and bring the basket home.
3. How far is the Hawthorne farm from the nearest house?
(a) One mile.
(b) Five miles.
(c) Two miles.
(d) Half a mile.
4. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(b) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(c) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(d) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
5. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
(a) He is friendly.
(b) He is furous.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is aloof.
6. What is Jack's mother's support system after the accident?
(a) She does not have one.
(b) Her many close, religious friends who visit often and care for her.
(c) Reading and writing poetry.
(d) Eating and watching television alone.
7. What have his co-workers accepted about Jack when he stops working for lunch?
(a) His rudeness.
(b) His need to be alone.
(c) His gregarious ways.
(d) His huge appetite.
8. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(d) Harley-Davidson 80.
9. What is the kitchen like in Jack's house?
(a) It is a mess from the wind storm.
(b) It is painted a dark blue.
(c) It is empty and dark.
(d) It is filled with people and the smell of food.
10. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
(a) He confesses his worthlessness and names his faults.
(b) He confesses to his desire to run away.
(c) He confides in them about his anger at this father.
(d) He confides in them his fears about his sister.
11. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
(a) Cherries and red raspberries.
(b) Blueberries and raspberries.
(c) Huckleberries and blackberries.
(d) Cherries and apples.
12. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
(a) Running away to desert islands.
(b) Super heroes and world domination.
(c) Murder and kidnapping.
(d) Self-sacrifice and redemption.
13. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
(a) School, chores, music lessons, and art lessons.
(b) Music lessons, school, church groups and chores.
(c) School, tennis lessons, chores, and laundry.
(d) Music lessons, playdates with friends and early bedtimes.
14. For what is Dale Hawthorne well-known in his town?
(a) His poetry and his poetry readings.
(b) His drunken fights.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His prize winning cows.
15. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
(a) Before they were of conquest; after they are of guilt.
(b) Before they are of people; after they are of cows and horses.
(c) Before they are of Attica prison breaks; after they are of movie stars.
(d) Before they are of superheroes; after they are of monsters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
2. What does Jack notice about his sister as she is laying out the food?
3. What kind of man is Jack's father?
4. When Jack stops for lunch after driving the tractor in the fields all morning, where does he sit?
5. At the time of the harvest, how long has Jack's father been gone?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)