|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
2. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
(a) Democrats and the weather.
(b) Feed and grain.
(c) Their wives.
(d) Jack and the accident.
3. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The trailor.
(b) The tractor.
(c) The cultipacker.
(d) The compactor.
4. What does Jack finally contemplate while riding on the tractor telling his stories?
5. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
(a) Late evening.
(b) Early afternoon.
(c) Early morning.
6. What is Jack's response to what he sees as he starts up the tractor after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) He quickly drives the tractor away.
(b) He blushes and turns away.
(c) He touches his straw hat.
(d) He waves to the other men as he drives off.
7. When does Jack feel almost happy and content?
(a) When riding and singing on the tractor.
(b) When visiting at the dinner table with his family
(c) When asleep in his bed.
(d) When walking in the sunrise to bring in the herd.
8. What is Jack indignant about when he is in the kitchen?
(a) Everyone talking too loudly.
(b) Everyone pretending eveything is ok.
(c) HIs mother is eating again.
(d) He is the only one working this hard.
9. When Jack is on the tractor and a storm begins, what does he do?
(a) Gets off and sits under a tree.
(b) Goes to the barn and takes a nap.
(c) Rides to the edge of the field and waits for the storm to be over.
(d) Drives home like a dog in flight.
10. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
(a) The narrator describing the action.
(b) All of the parts.
(c) The superhero.
(d) The hero of the stories.
11. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
12. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(a) Newly cultivated corn.
(b) Alfalfa and soybeans.
(c) Ready to harvest wheat.
13. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(b) Tuna, bread and cookies.
(c) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
(d) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
14. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
(a) A reckless man with little control over his family.
(b) A gentle but stupid farmer.
(c) A faithful husband and a fair minded, genial farmer.
(d) An unfatihful husband and a bad neighbor.
15. What does Jack do while riding on the tractor?
(a) He dreams of better times with his family.
(b) He worries about his mother.
(c) He replays the accident scene again and again.
(d) He plans his escape from his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
2. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
3. How does the narrator describe Jack's mother before the accident?
4. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
5. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)