|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jack is on the tractor and a storm begins, what does he do?
(a) Gets off and sits under a tree.
(b) Rides to the edge of the field and waits for the storm to be over.
(c) Drives home like a dog in flight.
(d) Goes to the barn and takes a nap.
2. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
(a) His loneliness and alienation.
(b) HIs physical condition after a morning's work in the field.
(c) His anger toward his sister.
(d) His continued torment over his brother's death.
3. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
(a) Lying on the cow-barn floor crying.
(b) Lyning in the hammock in the back field.
(c) Lying in bed drinking.
(d) Lying on the couch watching tv.
4. What does Phoebe give Jack besides his lunch?
(a) A thermos for himself.
(b) A cold Budweiser.
(c) A wet towel.
(d) A cold Coca-Cola from the house.
5. What does Jack do to try and block out the raging in his head?
(a) He pounds his fist on his head.
(b) He stomps his feet and screams.
(c) He grinds his teeth.
(d) He waves his hands at the sky.
6. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The cultipacker.
(b) The trailor.
(c) The tractor.
(d) The compactor.
7. What does Jack's father struggle with about his religious beliefs?
(a) How God could let such a horrible thing happen to his child.
(b) How anyone could not believe in God.
(c) How God could be in Heaven.
(d) Is there a Hell?
8. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
(b) Tuna, bread and cookies.
(c) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(d) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
9. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
10. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(d) King Richard's
11. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
(a) He confides in them his fears about his sister.
(b) He confesses to his desire to run away.
(c) He confides in them about his anger at this father.
(d) He confesses his worthlessness and names his faults.
12. What is it that makes Jack crazy once his good feelings wear off?
(a) The stupidity of the cows.
(b) The amount of work to do on the farm.
(c) The lack of rain.
(d) The fact that his father is gone.
13. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
14. What does Jack do while riding on the tractor?
(a) He worries about his mother.
(b) He replays the accident scene again and again.
(c) He plans his escape from his family.
(d) He dreams of better times with his family.
15. How does the narrator describe Jack's mother before the accident?
(a) A sad woman who had suffered greatly in her life.
(b) A cheerful woman who laughed and loved telling stories.
(c) A glum woman who always expected the worst.
(d) A happy woman who was shy and retiring.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
2. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
3. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
4. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
5. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his right?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)