|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
(a) Before they are of Attica prison breaks; after they are of movie stars.
(b) Before they are of superheroes; after they are of monsters.
(c) Before they were of conquest; after they are of guilt.
(d) Before they are of people; after they are of cows and horses.
2. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
(a) The sound of heavy equipment.
(b) The thunder following the lightening strike.
(c) His sister's scream.
(d) The crack of his brother's skull.
3. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(b) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(c) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(d) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
4. What recitation of his father's does Jack recall as he suffers his anger and grief?
(a) Cicero's final speech.
(b) Brutus' soliloquy.
(c) Mark Antony's condemnation.
(d) Silas Marner's monologue.
5. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he wants a napkin.
(b) If he wants to join the others.
(c) If he needs more to drink.
(d) If he wants to say grace.
6. What is the name of the feed store?
7. What do his co-workers accept about Dale Hawthorne since his son has died?
(a) His father's drinking.
(b) His father's refusal to work during harvest.
(c) HIs father's ways of handling his brother's death.
(d) His father's death.
8. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
(a) She is angry that she has to carry the heavy basket up the hill.
(b) She is disappointed her mother does not join them.
(c) She is sad to see Jack sitting all alone.
(d) She is happy to get out of the house and away from her chores.
9. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
10. How old is the child when he dies?
11. What is one of the story themes Jack uses again and again?
(a) Joining the police force and fighting criminals.
(b) Being a football player in college.
(c) Heroic battles with escaped convicts.
(d) Becoming a superhero.
12. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
(b) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(c) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
(d) Tuna, bread and cookies.
13. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
(a) She is annoyed by the insects flying in her face.
(b) She is obviously frustrated and does not want to walk up the hill.
(c) She sees nothing unreasonable about lugging the basket up the hill.
(d) She is delighted and runs up the hill.
14. What religion are Jack's uncles?
(a) Christian Scientists.
15. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
(a) He runs to the barn.
(b) He throws stones at the cows.
(c) He beats the cows.
(d) He screams at the cows.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
2. What is the kitchen like in Jack's house?
3. What does Jack do while waiting for the cows to finish eating?
4. What does Jack do to try and block out the raging in his head?
5. What is Jack's response to what he sees as he starts up the tractor after lunch with Phoebe?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)