|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack notice about his sister as she is laying out the food?
(a) She is crying and very unhappy.
(b) She is weak with hunger.
(c) She is smiling and acting like she is playing house.
(d) She is falling asleep from exhaustion.
2. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
(b) Tuna, bread and cookies.
(c) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(d) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
3. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
(a) The superhero.
(b) All of the parts.
(c) The narrator describing the action.
(d) The hero of the stories.
4. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Making chicken salad.
(b) Scrubbing the sink.
(c) Mopping the floor.
(d) Making cakes.
5. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(d) Harley-Davidson 80.
6. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
(a) School, chores, music lessons, and art lessons.
(b) Music lessons, school, church groups and chores.
(c) School, tennis lessons, chores, and laundry.
(d) Music lessons, playdates with friends and early bedtimes.
7. What does Jack do to try and block out the raging in his head?
(a) He waves his hands at the sky.
(b) He grinds his teeth.
(c) He stomps his feet and screams.
(d) He pounds his fist on his head.
8. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
(a) He throws stones at the cows.
(b) He beats the cows.
(c) He screams at the cows.
(d) He runs to the barn.
9. How old is the child when he dies?
10. What does Jack become aware of about himself as he sits under the tree with Phoebe?
(a) His loneliness and alienation.
(b) His anger toward his sister.
(c) His continued torment over his brother's death.
(d) HIs physical condition after a morning's work in the field.
11. While riding on the tractor, what things does Jack say about himself to himself?
(a) He is spiritually defective and evil.
(b) He is almost a teeneager and has his whole life ahead of him.
(c) He is guilty but feels better each day.
(d) He should never have been driving the tractor in the first place.
12. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(b) Ready to harvest wheat.
(c) Newly cultivated corn.
(d) Alfalfa and soybeans.
13. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
(a) She is disappointed her mother does not join them.
(b) She is angry that she has to carry the heavy basket up the hill.
(c) She is happy to get out of the house and away from her chores.
(d) She is sad to see Jack sitting all alone.
14. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
(a) By reading the Bible to them nightly.
(b) By taking them on long drives.
(c) By telling them the accident was not their fault.
(d) By embracing them and giving constant praise and reassurance.
15. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
(a) She is obviously frustrated and does not want to walk up the hill.
(b) She sees nothing unreasonable about lugging the basket up the hill.
(c) She is delighted and runs up the hill.
(d) She is annoyed by the insects flying in her face.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
2. What does Phoebe give Jack besides his lunch?
3. What is Jack indignant about when he is in the kitchen?
4. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
5. What are Jack's chores after the accident?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)