|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his left?
(b) Newly cultivated corn.
(c) Alfalfa and soybeans.
(d) Ready to harvest wheat.
2. What does Jack's father struggle with about his religious beliefs?
(a) How God could be in Heaven.
(b) How God could let such a horrible thing happen to his child.
(c) Is there a Hell?
(d) How anyone could not believe in God.
3. How does the narrator describe Jack's mother before the accident?
(a) A glum woman who always expected the worst.
(b) A cheerful woman who laughed and loved telling stories.
(c) A sad woman who had suffered greatly in her life.
(d) A happy woman who was shy and retiring.
4. How does Phoebe feel about having lunch with her brother?
(a) She is disappointed her mother does not join them.
(b) She is sad to see Jack sitting all alone.
(c) She is happy to get out of the house and away from her chores.
(d) She is angry that she has to carry the heavy basket up the hill.
5. How old is Jack's mother?
6. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(c) King Richard's
7. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
(a) Music lessons, school, church groups and chores.
(b) School, chores, music lessons, and art lessons.
(c) School, tennis lessons, chores, and laundry.
(d) Music lessons, playdates with friends and early bedtimes.
8. What is Jack's mother's support system after the accident?
(a) She does not have one.
(b) Her many close, religious friends who visit often and care for her.
(c) Reading and writing poetry.
(d) Eating and watching television alone.
9. What is Jack referring to when he says "it was what life ought to be, what he'd once believed it was."?
(a) Life on the farm was a struggle, and now things seeem better.
(b) Life should be lived to the fullest, now he is stuck on a farm.
(c) Life should be easy and he does not know why it is not easy now.
(d) Life on the farm was good and simple before he killed his brother.
10. Where did Jack's father perform?
(a) The theatre hall.
(b) The Grange.
(c) The town hall.
(d) An outdoor theatre.
11. What musical instrument does Jack's mother force on him?
(c) French horn.
12. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
(a) The crack of his brother's skull.
(b) His sister's scream.
(c) The sound of heavy equipment.
(d) The thunder following the lightening strike.
13. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Scrubbing the sink.
(b) Making cakes.
(c) Mopping the floor.
(d) Making chicken salad.
14. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
15. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(a) Harley-Davidson 80.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
2. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
3. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
4. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
5. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)