|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jack's mother's support system after the accident?
(a) Reading and writing poetry.
(b) She does not have one.
(c) Eating and watching television alone.
(d) Her many close, religious friends who visit often and care for her.
2. After the accident, what are the themes of Jack's stories?
(a) Self-sacrifice and redemption.
(b) Murder and kidnapping.
(c) Super heroes and world domination.
(d) Running away to desert islands.
3. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
(a) He is angry and yelling.
(b) He is quiet and aloof.
(c) He is bored and disinterested.
(d) He is funny and entertaining.
4. Where did Jack's father perform?
(a) The Grange.
(b) The theatre hall.
(c) An outdoor theatre.
(d) The town hall.
5. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
(a) Music lessons, playdates with friends and early bedtimes.
(b) School, chores, music lessons, and art lessons.
(c) School, tennis lessons, chores, and laundry.
(d) Music lessons, school, church groups and chores.
6. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
(a) "My, what big hands he has!"
(b) "He has gotten so tall!"
(c) "My, what long blond hair he has!"
(d) "This is your son, Betty?"
7. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his right?
(a) Blueberries and blackberries.
(b) Apple orchards.
(c) Alfalfa and wheat.
(d) Newly cultivated corn.
8. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
9. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(a) Happy that he is so much like his father.
(c) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
10. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The tractor.
(b) The trailor.
(c) The compactor.
(d) The cultipacker.
11. In the opening of the story, who dies in April?
(a) David Hawthorne.
(b) John Hawthorne.
(c) Daniel Hawthorne.
(d) Dale Hawthorne.
12. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(b) Tuna, bread and cookies.
(c) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
(d) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
13. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Drinking beer all day.
(b) Eating constantly.
(c) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
(d) Talking in his sleep.
14. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
15. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By playing cards with friends.
(b) By crying nightly with the children.
(c) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(d) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
2. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
3. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
4. Who is working and helping to harvest the fields with Jack?
5. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)