|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Jack walks down the road, what is on his right?
(a) Newly cultivated corn.
(b) Apple orchards.
(c) Alfalfa and wheat.
(d) Blueberries and blackberries.
2. For what is Dale Hawthorne well-known in his town?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His poetry and his poetry readings.
(c) His prize winning cows.
(d) His drunken fights.
3. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Drinking beer all day.
(b) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
(c) Talking in his sleep.
(d) Eating constantly.
4. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
(a) Huckleberries and blackberries.
(b) Cherries and red raspberries.
(c) Cherries and apples.
(d) Blueberries and raspberries.
5. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The trailor.
(b) The cultipacker.
(c) The tractor.
(d) The compactor.
6. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
(a) Milking the cows.
(b) Sitting in his bed at night.
(c) Riding on the tractor at work.
(d) In the shower.
7. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
(b) Iced tea.
(c) Cold milk.
(d) Iced water.
8. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(c) Harley-Davidson 80.
9. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(c) King Richard's
10. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
11. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
(a) He throws stones at the cows.
(b) He beats the cows.
(c) He runs to the barn.
(d) He screams at the cows.
12. Where did Jack's father perform?
(a) An outdoor theatre.
(b) The town hall.
(c) The theatre hall.
(d) The Grange.
13. Who are the heroines of Jack's stories?
(a) A schoolgirl named Margaret and his cousin, Linda.
(b) His sister and his French horn teacher.
(c) His teacher and a schoolgirl named Margaret.
(d) His mother and his sister, Phoebe.
14. What sight does Jack see when he remembers his brother's death?
(a) The cultipacker stalling when it hits his brother.
(b) The cultipacker rolling over his brother's body.
(c) The evening sky.
(d) The brake on the tractor.
15. What is Jack indignant about when he is in the kitchen?
(a) Everyone pretending eveything is ok.
(b) He is the only one working this hard.
(c) Everyone talking too loudly.
(d) HIs mother is eating again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
2. How does Jack respond to Phoebe's question at the beginning of lunch?
3. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
4. What is Jack's response to what he sees as he starts up the tractor after lunch with Phoebe?
5. When Jack's father is gone for days, who takes over the work of the farm?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)