|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
(a) Hopeful of becoming an actor.
(b) Happy that he is so much like his father.
2. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
(a) All of the parts.
(b) The hero of the stories.
(c) The superhero.
(d) The narrator describing the action.
3. To whom does Jack confide in and tell his tractor stories?
(a) His cousin.
(b) No one.
(d) His uncle.
4. How old is the character who accidentally kills the child?
5. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
(a) A long handled shovel.
(b) A push broom.
(c) A blunt wooden scraper.
(d) A metal trowel.
6. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
(a) The day has begun to cool down.
(b) There are birds singing in the trees.
(c) It is a breezeless, insect-ridden heat.
(d) There are clouds in the sky predicting rain.
7. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(b) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
(c) By playing cards with friends.
(d) By crying nightly with the children.
8. What musical instrument does Jack's mother force on him?
(a) French horn.
9. How does Jack behave toward his father and his uncles while working?
(a) He is angry and yelling.
(b) He is quiet and aloof.
(c) He is bored and disinterested.
(d) He is funny and entertaining.
10. When Jack cannot make his good feelings last, what does he do?
(a) He beats the cows.
(b) He screams at the cows.
(c) He throws stones at the cows.
(d) He runs to the barn.
11. Where is Jack when he is making up his stories?
(a) In the shower.
(b) Riding on the tractor at work.
(c) Sitting in his bed at night.
(d) Milking the cows.
12. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
(a) He feels lonely and frightened.
(b) He feels remorseful and guilty.
(c) He feels confused and anxious.
(d) He feels at home and almost pleasant.
13. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
(a) An ugly memory.
(b) An unforgettable memory.
(c) A sad memory.
(d) A black memory.
14. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he wants to join the others.
(b) If he wants a napkin.
(c) If he needs more to drink.
(d) If he wants to say grace.
15. What is one habit Jack's father takes up after the accident?
(a) Chain smoking Lucky Strikes.
(b) Eating constantly.
(c) Talking in his sleep.
(d) Drinking beer all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phoebe's job after everyone has finished with lunch?
2. What does Jack notice as he takes a long sip from his drink during lunch?
3. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
4. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
5. Where on the farm does Jack work with his uncles?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)