|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the victim riding when he falls off and is run over?
(a) The trailor.
(b) The tractor.
(c) The compactor.
(d) The cultipacker.
2. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
(a) She is annoyed by the insects flying in her face.
(b) She sees nothing unreasonable about lugging the basket up the hill.
(c) She is obviously frustrated and does not want to walk up the hill.
(d) She is delighted and runs up the hill.
3. Who is working and helping to harvest the fields with Jack?
(a) Neighbors and cousins.
(b) Friends and uncles.
(c) Phoebe and her friends.
(d) His mother and grandfather.
4. What is it that makes Jack crazy once his good feelings wear off?
(a) The lack of rain.
(b) The fact that his father is gone.
(c) The amount of work to do on the farm.
(d) The stupidity of the cows.
5. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
(a) Phoebe runs back to give him a hug.
(b) Phoebe turns and waves to him.
(c) His mother standing in the doorway of the kitchen waving to him.
(d) The other men all sit and have a smoke.
6. What sound does Jack remember from the accident?
(a) His sister's scream.
(b) The sound of heavy equipment.
(c) The crack of his brother's skull.
(d) The thunder following the lightening strike.
7. What kind of man is Jack's father?
(a) A sensitive, intelligent dreamer.
(b) A cruel and hateful man.
(c) A silly and impetuous man.
(d) A kind and stupid man.
8. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
(a) "This is your son, Betty?"
(b) "My, what big hands he has!"
(c) "He has gotten so tall!"
(d) "My, what long blond hair he has!"
9. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
(a) An unfatihful husband and a bad neighbor.
(b) A gentle but stupid farmer.
(c) A reckless man with little control over his family.
(d) A faithful husband and a fair minded, genial farmer.
10. What do his co-workers accept about Dale Hawthorne since his son has died?
(a) His father's death.
(b) His father's refusal to work during harvest.
(c) HIs father's ways of handling his brother's death.
(d) His father's drinking.
11. Where did Jack's father perform?
(a) The theatre hall.
(b) The Grange.
(c) The town hall.
(d) An outdoor theatre.
12. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
(a) He has said grace in his head.
(b) He enjoys being just the two of them for lunch.
(c) He is happy with the lunch.
(d) He is a very neat eater.
13. How old is the child when he dies?
14. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(b) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(c) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(d) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
15. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(b) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
(c) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
(d) Tuna, bread and cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
2. What kinds of things does Jack's mother insist her children do?
3. Where does Jack sometimes find his father after the accident?
4. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
5. What does Jack use to push the manure in the barn into the gutters?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)