|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what does Jack concentrate in order to regain his composure after his painful thoughts?
(a) The sound of the birds in the trees.
(b) The horizon.
(c) A comforting object like a dark, smooth stone.
(d) The clouds in the sky.
2. What does Phoebe ask Jack as he begins his lunch?
(a) If he wants a napkin.
(b) If he needs more to drink.
(c) If he wants to say grace.
(d) If he wants to join the others.
3. What is in the basket Phoebe brings to Jack?
(a) Chicken, rolls, celery and salt.
(b) Ham sandwiches and fresh fruit.
(c) Chicken, biscuits, carrots and ranch dip.
(d) Tuna, bread and cookies.
4. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
(a) He feels remorseful and guilty.
(b) He feels confused and anxious.
(c) He feels lonely and frightened.
(d) He feels at home and almost pleasant.
5. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(b) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(c) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(d) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
6. How does Jack respond to Phoebe's question at the beginning of lunch?
(a) "No thank you."
(b) "I am fine for now."
(c) "Not really."
(d) "I'd rather be alone."
7. What is it that makes Jack crazy once his good feelings wear off?
(a) The amount of work to do on the farm.
(b) The lack of rain.
(c) The stupidity of the cows.
(d) The fact that his father is gone.
8. What is Jack's response to what he sees as he starts up the tractor after lunch with Phoebe?
(a) He quickly drives the tractor away.
(b) He touches his straw hat.
(c) He blushes and turns away.
(d) He waves to the other men as he drives off.
9. What does Jack find off of the cow path?
(a) Huckleberries and blackberries.
(b) Blueberries and raspberries.
(c) Cherries and red raspberries.
(d) Cherries and apples.
10. How old is Phoebe when we see her bringing lunch to her brother Jack?
11. What can Jack hear from the other workers sitting at the other lunch site?
(a) Laughter over a joke told by his cousin.
(b) A man yelling over to him.
(c) Laughter and yelling.
12. What is the difference in Jack's stories before and after the accident?
(a) Before they were of conquest; after they are of guilt.
(b) Before they are of superheroes; after they are of monsters.
(c) Before they are of Attica prison breaks; after they are of movie stars.
(d) Before they are of people; after they are of cows and horses.
13. What does Jack tell the girls of his made-up stories?
(a) He confesses to his desire to run away.
(b) He confides in them about his anger at this father.
(c) He confides in them his fears about his sister.
(d) He confesses his worthlessness and names his faults.
14. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(b) King Richard's
15. Who are the heroines of Jack's stories?
(a) A schoolgirl named Margaret and his cousin, Linda.
(b) His sister and his French horn teacher.
(c) His teacher and a schoolgirl named Margaret.
(d) His mother and his sister, Phoebe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about his surroundings does Jack become aware of while eating his lunch?
2. What part does Jack play in his made-up stories?
3. How does Jack come to feel about his raging on the tractor?
4. For what does Jack's father often abandon his wife and children?
5. How does Jack's mother comfort him and his sibling?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)