|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By playing cards with friends.
(b) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
(c) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(d) By crying nightly with the children.
2. How does Jack describe the memory of his brother's death?
(a) An ugly memory.
(b) A sad memory.
(c) A black memory.
(d) An unforgettable memory.
3. What does Jack do to try and block out the raging in his head?
(a) He pounds his fist on his head.
(b) He waves his hands at the sky.
(c) He grinds his teeth.
(d) He stomps his feet and screams.
4. When Jack's father is gone for days, who takes over the work of the farm?
(a) Jack alone.
(b) Jack and his uncles, nieghbors or cousins.
(c) Jack and hired help.
(d) Jack and his friends.
5. What do the men talk about while they are at the feed store?
(a) Democrats and the weather.
(b) Their wives.
(c) Jack and the accident.
(d) Feed and grain.
6. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
(b) Early morning.
(c) Late evening.
(d) Early afternoon.
7. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
(b) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(c) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(d) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
8. What is Phoebe's attitude as she carries the basket filled with lunch up to the field hands?
(a) She sees nothing unreasonable about lugging the basket up the hill.
(b) She is obviously frustrated and does not want to walk up the hill.
(c) She is annoyed by the insects flying in her face.
(d) She is delighted and runs up the hill.
9. How does Jack feel when he is in the barn with the cows and other animals?
(a) He feels confused and anxious.
(b) He feels remorseful and guilty.
(c) He feels at home and almost pleasant.
(d) He feels lonely and frightened.
10. What month is it when Jack sits under the tree with Phoebe and has lunch?
11. What are Jack's chores after the accident?
(a) He collects the eggs.
(b) He works the farm land and equipment.
(c) He paints the barn.
(d) He runs errands.
12. What does Phoebe give Jack besides his lunch?
(a) A wet towel.
(b) A thermos for himself.
(c) A cold Budweiser.
(d) A cold Coca-Cola from the house.
13. How old is the youngest child at the time of the accident?
14. To whom does Jack confide in and tell his tractor stories?
(b) His uncle.
(c) No one.
(d) His cousin.
15. Who are the heroines of Jack's stories?
(a) His teacher and a schoolgirl named Margaret.
(b) His mother and his sister, Phoebe.
(c) A schoolgirl named Margaret and his cousin, Linda.
(d) His sister and his French horn teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening of the story, who dies in April?
2. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
3. What is the kitchen like in Jack's house?
4. What is the only reason Jack's father does not make good on his motorcycle fantasies?
5. What can Jack hear from the other workers sitting at the other lunch site?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)