|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of motorcycle does Jack's father have?
(a) Harley-Davidson 80.
2. What is Jack's mother's support system after the accident?
(a) Eating and watching television alone.
(b) Reading and writing poetry.
(c) She does not have one.
(d) Her many close, religious friends who visit often and care for her.
3. How far is the Hawthorne farm from the nearest house?
(a) Two miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Five miles.
(d) Half a mile.
4. How does Jack's mother deal with her grief outwardly?
(a) By eating herself into a state of being overweight.
(b) By refusing to speak to her husband.
(c) By playing cards with friends.
(d) By crying nightly with the children.
5. What happens to Jack when he has painful thoughts on the tractor?
(a) He laughs it all off and drives the tractor home.
(b) He stops the tractor and goes home for something to eat.
(c) He shakes in weakness and finally gets off the tractor to rest.
(d) He sobs and loses control of the tractor.
6. In Dale's story, whose skull is Lord Byron trying to make into a drinking cup?
(a) King Richard's
7. When Jack approaches the berry bushes, what does he notice escaping from them?
8. How does the narrator describe Jack's mother before the accident?
(a) A cheerful woman who laughed and loved telling stories.
(b) A happy woman who was shy and retiring.
(c) A glum woman who always expected the worst.
(d) A sad woman who had suffered greatly in her life.
9. What is Phoebe doing in the kitchen when Jack comes in?
(a) Making cakes.
(b) Scrubbing the sink.
(c) Making chicken salad.
(d) Mopping the floor.
10. Where does Jack feel a sense of belonging when he is working?
(a) In the fields with his uncles
(b) In the kitchen with his mother and sister.
(c) On the tractor with his father.
(d) In the barn with the cows.
11. When Jack enters his home after riding the tractor home in the thunderstorm, how does he behave?
(a) He is friendly.
(b) He is furous.
(c) He is silent.
(d) He is aloof.
12. What does Jack finally contemplate while riding on the tractor telling his stories?
13. What time of day is it when Jack brings in the herd from the upper pasture?
(a) Early afternoon.
(c) Early morning.
(d) Late evening.
14. What does Jack see as he starts up the tractor after lunch to go back to work?
(a) Phoebe turns and waves to him.
(b) The other men all sit and have a smoke.
(c) His mother standing in the doorway of the kitchen waving to him.
(d) Phoebe runs back to give him a hug.
15. What does one of Betty's friends say to her about Jack?
(a) "My, what long blond hair he has!"
(b) "This is your son, Betty?"
(c) "He has gotten so tall!"
(d) "My, what big hands he has!"
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack drink from the thermos Phoebe brings him?
2. What explanation does Jack give Phoebe at the beginning of lunch that puts her at rest?
3. How old is the child when he dies?
4. When Jack is on the tractor and a storm begins, what does he do?
5. How does the narrator describe Jack's father before the accident?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)