* The story opens abruptly with the announcement that Jack Hawthorne runs over his younger brother with a tractor and kills him.
* Jack says the accident would have been avoided if he had put on the brakes.
* Jack sits frozen and watches as the piece of equipment runs over his brother.
* Jack is 12 at the time of the accident; his brother David is 7; his sister Phoebe, who witnessed the accident, is 5.
* Dale Hawthorne, Jack's father, is broken-hearted over his son's death.
* Despite blaming God for his son's death, he also blames Jack.
* Dale begins smoking and taking long rides on his motorcycle.
* He contemplates suicide but decides against it because of what it would do to his wife and children.
* Dale Hawthorne begins having affairs with local women and stays away from the farm.
* Betty Hawthorne holds her family together and does not outwardly show her grief.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)