|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the dark voice lose its power over Angel?
2. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
3. In Chapter 23, how does Angel describe the way love feels to her?
4. What did Miriam ask Michael a "man's opinion" about?
5. When Angel asked Michael in Chapter 24 if he was ever sorry he found her, what was his reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
2. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
3. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
4. in Chapter 33, why and where does Paul go look for Angel? How does this journey effect him?
5. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
6. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
7. How is the timing of Michael and Ange's deaths significant?
8. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
9. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
10. What effect does Elizabeth asking Angel to be her midwife have on Angel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the still, small voice that Angel hears to the voice that instills fear and reinforces her negative feelings of self-worth. Discuss the source of both voices and their goals concerning Angel's well-being. Give specific examples of what happens when she listens to each of them.
Essay Topic 3
When Angel left the valley for the last time, it was Paul that went to attempt to bring her home; Why? What did Angel and Paul learn about themselves and each other from their encounter in San Francisco? What was the end result?
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)