|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elizabeth was in labor, what chore did she want to finish before giving birth?
2. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked him what he'd ever done to be ashamed in his life?
3. What is the House of Magdalena?
4. What did Miriam do to keep Paul from leaving?
5. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
2. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 25 concerning Angel's worshipful adoration of Michael?
3. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
4. When Duke drags Angel away from the cafe and takes her to his home, what does Angel do that seems to put Duke on edge?
5. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
6. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
7. In Chapter 28, the Hoseas celebrate Christmas at the Altmans, and Michael reads the Christmas story. What is Angel's reaction to the story?
8. In Chapter 22, does Angel's love for Michael change while she is away from him?
9. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
10. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
How does the Biblical Book of Hosea compare to Francine Rivers' version of the story of the Hoseas? As you compare/contrast the two stories, include the setting, main characters and plot line, specifically the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Angel is known by many names, each reflecting a specific time in her life as well as her emotional and spiritual growth. Reflect on what each name means and what it reveals about Angel. Notice that by the end of the story, Angel has come full circle, once more being called by her childhood name Sarah. Make sure to discuss why Angel takes years to reveal this name to Michael.
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)