|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At one point Angel wanted to leave Sacramento. Where did Angel want to run away to next?
2. What was the one gift Angel could give Michael?
3. What Christmas gift did Angel make for Miriam?
4. What did Angel help the Altman women make while Michael and Paul were in town?
5. When Angel asked Michael in Chapter 24 if he was ever sorry he found her, what was his reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, how does Elizabeth pregnancy influence Angel's opinion of herself and the future?
2. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
3. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
4. How is the timing of Michael and Ange's deaths significant?
5. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
6. How does Angel discover Elizabeth's opinions concerning whom Miriam is in love with? What is Angel's reaction?
7. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
8. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
9. What is Michael's reaction to Angel's darkest secrets in Chapter 21?
10. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Angel struggles with her self-worth and the belief that she will ever be able to do anything except prostitution. As she matures spiritually and emotionally, she tries new avenues of employment. Discuss these various jobs and how they change Angel's sense of value as she evolves from a prostitute to these other trades. Do these jobs have anything in common?
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, Angel is known by many names, each reflecting a specific time in her life as well as her emotional and spiritual growth. Reflect on what each name means and what it reveals about Angel. Notice that by the end of the story, Angel has come full circle, once more being called by her childhood name Sarah. Make sure to discuss why Angel takes years to reveal this name to Michael.
This section contains 1,278 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)