|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday was just days away from the birth of the Altman's baby?
2. Who offered Angel a job in Sacramento?
3. Who helped Angel leave Michael for the second time?
4. When Elizabeth was in labor, what chore did she want to finish before giving birth?
5. After Angel announced the birth of the Altman's son, what did John ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
2. in Chapter 33, why and where does Paul go look for Angel? How does this journey effect him?
3. In Chapter 28, the Hoseas celebrate Christmas at the Altmans, and Michael reads the Christmas story. What is Angel's reaction to the story?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 25 concerning Angel's worshipful adoration of Michael?
5. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
6. In Chapter 32, how does Angel find her true calling?
7. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
8. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
9. In Chapter 22, does Angel's love for Michael change while she is away from him?
10. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
More than once in the story, Angel reflects on what her life and relationship might have been with Michael if her childhood experiences had been different. Explore those incidents, and then (like Michael did) reflect on why God might have allowed those things to occur. What possible consequences might there have been if Angel had never become Angel? Were there any benefits to her experiences?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)