|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the quiet voice keep repeating to Angel?
2. What delicacy did Angel look forward to at Thanksgiving?
3. Where did Angel want Michael to find a husband for Miriam?
4. What did God tell Angel when she asked for strength to go to Michael after returning home for the last time?
5. Why did Angel run away from Michael a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
2. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
3. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
4. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
5. In Chapter 26, how does Elizabeth pregnancy influence Angel's opinion of herself and the future?
6. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
7. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
8. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
9. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
10. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Angel and Miriam Altman. Make sure to mention their childhoods, relationship with their parents, personalities, physical make-up, spiritual beliefs, and opinions concerning men, life, and God.
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate to most in the story? Why? Compare/contrast yourself to that character, include experiences, emotions, and coping mechanisms as well as any conclusions you are able to draw about him/her and yourself.
This section contains 1,292 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)