|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day did Angel's mom treat as a holy day?
2. What holiday was just days away from the birth of the Altman's baby?
3. What did Paul say to Miriam when he returned home in Chapter 34?
4. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
5. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked if it bothered him when men stared at her?
Short Essay Questions
1. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
2. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
3. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
4. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
5. In Chapter 22, does Angel's love for Michael change while she is away from him?
6. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
7. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
8. How is the timing of Michael and Ange's deaths significant?
9. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 25 concerning Angel's worshipful adoration of Michael?
10. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Angel struggles with her self-worth and the belief that she will ever be able to do anything except prostitution. As she matures spiritually and emotionally, she tries new avenues of employment. Discuss these various jobs and how they change Angel's sense of value as she evolves from a prostitute to these other trades. Do these jobs have anything in common?
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)