|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task did Elizabeth ask of Angel?
2. What was in the pocket-sized packet that Miriam give to Michael for Angel?
3. According to Michael and Angel's wishes, what marked their graves?
4. At one point Angel wanted to leave Sacramento. Where did Angel want to run away to next?
5. How many children did Michael and Angel have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Angel telling Michael that her real name is Sarah?
2. How is the timing of Michael and Ange's deaths significant?
3. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
4. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
5. When Duke drags Angel away from the cafe and takes her to his home, what does Angel do that seems to put Duke on edge?
6. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
7. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
8. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
9. What effect does Elizabeth asking Angel to be her midwife have on Angel?
10. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
Essay Topic 3
Which character do you relate to most in the story? Why? Compare/contrast yourself to that character, include experiences, emotions, and coping mechanisms as well as any conclusions you are able to draw about him/her and yourself.
This section contains 1,235 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)