|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Michael's reply when Angel told Michael her real name?
2. How long did Michael and Angel's "blissful happiness" last after returning home from Sacramento?
3. In Chapter 29, when Angel lifted her head from washing her face in a trough, who was there?
4. Why did Paul want to leave the valley?
5. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
2. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
3. How is the timing of Michael and Ange's deaths significant?
4. In Chapter 21, why does Angel attempt to push Michael away from her, and how does she hope to accomplish this?
5. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
6. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
7. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
8. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
9. In Chapter 26, how does Elizabeth pregnancy influence Angel's opinion of herself and the future?
10. In Chapter 22, does Angel's love for Michael change while she is away from him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
From Angel's point of view, consider the love she received from her mother, the Duchess and Duke versus the love she experienced from Michael, the Altmans, and God.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)