|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
2. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
3. Remembering her childhood, why did Angel say she loved the rain?
4. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
5. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
2. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
3. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
4. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
5. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
6. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
7. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
8. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
9. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
10. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Angel struggles with her self-worth and the belief that she will ever be able to do anything except prostitution. As she matures spiritually and emotionally, she tries new avenues of employment. Discuss these various jobs and how they change Angel's sense of value as she evolves from a prostitute to these other trades. Do these jobs have anything in common?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Michael is portrayed as a God-like character, full of love, grace, and mercy. However, he is not perfect and has many flaws. Discuss what these flaws are and how his character grows and matures throughout the book. Compare the man he is at the beginning of the novel to the man he becomes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Angel and Miriam Altman. Make sure to mention their childhoods, relationship with their parents, personalities, physical make-up, spiritual beliefs, and opinions concerning men, life, and God.
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)