|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
2. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
3. When Mae dies, what does Rab do to try to help Sarah?
4. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
5. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
2. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
3. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
4. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
5. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
6. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
7. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
8. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
9. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
10. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Angel and Miriam Altman. Make sure to mention their childhoods, relationship with their parents, personalities, physical make-up, spiritual beliefs, and opinions concerning men, life, and God.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)