|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
2. What happened the morning after Michael and Angel consummated their marriage?
3. When Angel tells Michael to call her whatever he wants, what does he name her?
4. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
5. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
2. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
3. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
4. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
5. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
6. In Chapter 21, why does Angel attempt to push Michael away from her, and how does she hope to accomplish this?
7. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
8. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
9. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
10. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
From Angel's point of view, consider the love she received from her mother, the Duchess and Duke versus the love she experienced from Michael, the Altmans, and God.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 2,332 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)