|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
2. When Angel tells Michael to call her whatever he wants, what does he name her?
3. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
4. What members of the Altman family died on their way to Oregon?
5. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
2. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
3. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
5. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
6. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
7. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
8. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
9. In Chapter Twelve, Angel and Michael have an argument and he is pleased with her anger. Why?
10. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Angel and Miriam Altman. Make sure to mention their childhoods, relationship with their parents, personalities, physical make-up, spiritual beliefs, and opinions concerning men, life, and God.
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)