|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
2. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
3. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
4. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
5. How is Paul related to Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
2. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
3. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
4. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
5. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
6. In Chapter Twelve, Angel and Michael have an argument and he is pleased with her anger. Why?
7. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
8. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
9. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
10. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Biblical Book of Hosea compare to Francine Rivers' version of the story of the Hoseas? As you compare/contrast the two stories, include the setting, main characters and plot line, specifically the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
When Angel left the valley for the last time, it was Paul that went to attempt to bring her home; Why? What did Angel and Paul learn about themselves and each other from their encounter in San Francisco? What was the end result?
Essay Topic 3
In the book, unforgiving Paul is the foil to Michael's God-like portrayal of grace. Compare and contrast these two characters, and discuss how both Paul and Michael have evolved by the end of the book. Give specific examples of their spiritual growth and the effect that it has on those around them.
This section contains 1,435 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)