|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
2. Why did Angel want Michael to show her how to cook?
3. What did God say when Michael asked him for guidance about how to help Angel?
4. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
5. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
Short Essay Questions
1. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
2. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
3. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
4. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
5. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
6. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
7. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
8. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
9. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
10. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate to most in the story? Why? Compare/contrast yourself to that character, include experiences, emotions, and coping mechanisms as well as any conclusions you are able to draw about him/her and yourself.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Michael is portrayed as a God-like character, full of love, grace, and mercy. However, he is not perfect and has many flaws. Discuss what these flaws are and how his character grows and matures throughout the book. Compare the man he is at the beginning of the novel to the man he becomes.
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)