|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
2. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
3. When Michael Hosea sees Angel for the first time, what does God tells him?
4. What did Angel do when she wanted to leave and Michael asked if they could talk it over?
5. What members of the Altman family died on their way to Oregon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
2. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
3. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
5. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
6. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
7. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
8. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
9. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
10. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
Essay Topic 2
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)