|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Michael ask Angel to pick up walnuts?
2. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
3. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
4. What did God say when Michael asked him for guidance about how to help Angel?
5. When Angel thinks that everyone she draws close to leaves, what does she say is deadly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
2. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
3. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
4. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
5. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
6. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
7. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
8. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
9. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
10. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Biblical Book of Hosea compare to Francine Rivers' version of the story of the Hoseas? As you compare/contrast the two stories, include the setting, main characters and plot line, specifically the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the still, small voice that Angel hears to the voice that instills fear and reinforces her negative feelings of self-worth. Discuss the source of both voices and their goals concerning Angel's well-being. Give specific examples of what happens when she listens to each of them.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, Michael is portrayed as a God-like character, full of love, grace, and mercy. However, he is not perfect and has many flaws. Discuss what these flaws are and how his character grows and matures throughout the book. Compare the man he is at the beginning of the novel to the man he becomes.
This section contains 1,390 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)