|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
2. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
3. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
4. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
5. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
2. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
4. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
5. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
6. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
7. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
8. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
9. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
10. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Angel and Miriam Altman. Make sure to mention their childhoods, relationship with their parents, personalities, physical make-up, spiritual beliefs, and opinions concerning men, life, and God.
Essay Topic 2
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the still, small voice that Angel hears to the voice that instills fear and reinforces her negative feelings of self-worth. Discuss the source of both voices and their goals concerning Angel's well-being. Give specific examples of what happens when she listens to each of them.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)