Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
2. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
3. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
4. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
5. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
2. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
3. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
4. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
6. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
7. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
8. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
9. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
10. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate to most in the story? Why? Compare/contrast yourself to that character, include experiences, emotions, and coping mechanisms as well as any conclusions you are able to draw about him/her and yourself.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Angel is known by many names, each reflecting a specific time in her life as well as her emotional and spiritual growth. Reflect on what each name means and what it reveals about Angel. Notice that by the end of the story, Angel has come full circle, once more being called by her childhood name Sarah. Make sure to discuss why Angel takes years to reveal this name to Michael.
Essay Topic 3
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,490 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)