|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
2. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
3. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
4. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
5. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
2. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
3. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
4. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
5. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
6. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
7. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
8. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
9. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
10. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does unforgiveness and feelings of self-loathing shape the attitudes, perspectives, and personalities of Paul and Angel? Discuss how these feelings change and what specifically influences these emotions for better or worse.
Essay Topic 2
Which character do you relate to most in the story? Why? Compare/contrast yourself to that character, include experiences, emotions, and coping mechanisms as well as any conclusions you are able to draw about him/her and yourself.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the still, small voice that Angel hears to the voice that instills fear and reinforces her negative feelings of self-worth. Discuss the source of both voices and their goals concerning Angel's well-being. Give specific examples of what happens when she listens to each of them.
This section contains 1,575 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)