|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Michael tell Angel used to call him names?
2. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
3. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
4. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
5. How did Michael get Angel out the Silver Dollar after she ran away from the Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
2. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
3. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
4. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
5. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
6. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
7. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
8. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
9. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
10. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Angel left the valley for the last time, it was Paul that went to attempt to bring her home; Why? What did Angel and Paul learn about themselves and each other from their encounter in San Francisco? What was the end result?
Essay Topic 2
More than once in the story, Angel reflects on what her life and relationship might have been with Michael if her childhood experiences had been different. Explore those incidents, and then (like Michael did) reflect on why God might have allowed those things to occur. What possible consequences might there have been if Angel had never become Angel? Were there any benefits to her experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,309 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)