|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel jump off the wagon when Michael tried to take her home?
2. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
3. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
4. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
5. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
2. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
3. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
4. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
5. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
6. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
7. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
8. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
9. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
10. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Angel leaves Michael for the last time, she believes it is for the best. This is the first time she doesn't have a selfish motive for leaving; she does it because she thinks it is the best thing for Michael. Discuss the other times that Angel has left the Valley. Compare/contrast her motives and how Michael reacts to each incident.
Essay Topic 2
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
More than once in the story, Angel reflects on what her life and relationship might have been with Michael if her childhood experiences had been different. Explore those incidents, and then (like Michael did) reflect on why God might have allowed those things to occur. What possible consequences might there have been if Angel had never become Angel? Were there any benefits to her experiences?
This section contains 1,465 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)