|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
2. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
3. What did Ruth Altman say that she ate once when she was little?
4. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
5. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
2. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
3. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
5. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
6. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
7. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
8. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
9. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
10. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
When Angel, Michael, and Johnathan Axel heed the directions of that still, small voice miraculous things happen, even lives are saved. Give specific examples of incidents when each of these characters have followed that voice and the results that ensued.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
This section contains 1,557 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)