|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
2. What two subjects was Lucky never allowed to talk about with Angel?
3. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
4. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
5. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
2. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
3. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
4. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
5. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
6. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
7. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
8. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
9. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
10. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Angel leaves Michael for the last time, she believes it is for the best. This is the first time she doesn't have a selfish motive for leaving; she does it because she thinks it is the best thing for Michael. Discuss the other times that Angel has left the Valley. Compare/contrast her motives and how Michael reacts to each incident.
Essay Topic 2
How does unforgiveness and feelings of self-loathing shape the attitudes, perspectives, and personalities of Paul and Angel? Discuss how these feelings change and what specifically influences these emotions for better or worse.
Essay Topic 3
More than once in the story, Angel reflects on what her life and relationship might have been with Michael if her childhood experiences had been different. Explore those incidents, and then (like Michael did) reflect on why God might have allowed those things to occur. What possible consequences might there have been if Angel had never become Angel? Were there any benefits to her experiences?
This section contains 1,520 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)