|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
2. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
3. Why did Michael ask Angel to pick up walnuts?
4. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
5. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
2. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
3. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
4. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
5. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
6. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
7. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
8. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
9. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
10. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Angel is known by many names, each reflecting a specific time in her life as well as her emotional and spiritual growth. Reflect on what each name means and what it reveals about Angel. Notice that by the end of the story, Angel has come full circle, once more being called by her childhood name Sarah. Make sure to discuss why Angel takes years to reveal this name to Michael.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Michael is portrayed as a God-like character, full of love, grace, and mercy. However, he is not perfect and has many flaws. Discuss what these flaws are and how his character grows and matures throughout the book. Compare the man he is at the beginning of the novel to the man he becomes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare/contrast the relationship between Paul and Miriam to that of Michael and Angel. Examine their courtship and marriage, as well as each couple's dynamics and temperaments. Consider them at their best and worst times as a couple. Be sure to cite specific examples from the text.
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)