|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Michael get Angel out the Silver Dollar after she ran away from the Valley?
2. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
3. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
4. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
5. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
2. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
4. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
5. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
6. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
7. How does Angel discover Elizabeth's opinions concerning whom Miriam is in love with? What is Angel's reaction?
8. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
9. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
10. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Angel is known by many names, each reflecting a specific time in her life as well as her emotional and spiritual growth. Reflect on what each name means and what it reveals about Angel. Notice that by the end of the story, Angel has come full circle, once more being called by her childhood name Sarah. Make sure to discuss why Angel takes years to reveal this name to Michael.
Essay Topic 2
When Angel left the valley for the last time, it was Paul that went to attempt to bring her home; Why? What did Angel and Paul learn about themselves and each other from their encounter in San Francisco? What was the end result?
Essay Topic 3
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
This section contains 2,122 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)