|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael tells Angel that he knew the first time he saw her that he was going to marry her, what feature did Michael say he saw first?
2. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
3. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
4. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
5. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
2. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
3. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
4. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
5. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
6. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
7. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
8. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
9. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
10. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
More than once in the story, Angel reflects on what her life and relationship might have been with Michael if her childhood experiences had been different. Explore those incidents, and then (like Michael did) reflect on why God might have allowed those things to occur. What possible consequences might there have been if Angel had never become Angel? Were there any benefits to her experiences?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Michael is portrayed as a God-like character, full of love, grace, and mercy. However, he is not perfect and has many flaws. Discuss what these flaws are and how his character grows and matures throughout the book. Compare the man he is at the beginning of the novel to the man he becomes.
Essay Topic 3
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)