|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
2. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
3. Who did Michael tell Angel used to call him names?
4. After one night with Duke, how is Sarah changed?
5. Why didn't Mae want Sarah to thank Alex for the presents he'd left?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
2. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
3. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
4. In Chapter Twelve, Angel and Michael have an argument and he is pleased with her anger. Why?
5. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
6. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
7. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
8. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
9. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
10. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
Essay Topic 2
When Angel leaves Michael for the last time, she believes it is for the best. This is the first time she doesn't have a selfish motive for leaving; she does it because she thinks it is the best thing for Michael. Discuss the other times that Angel has left the Valley. Compare/contrast her motives and how Michael reacts to each incident.
Essay Topic 3
In the book, unforgiving Paul is the foil to Michael's God-like portrayal of grace. Compare and contrast these two characters, and discuss how both Paul and Michael have evolved by the end of the book. Give specific examples of their spiritual growth and the effect that it has on those around them.
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)