Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
2. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
3. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
4. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
5. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
2. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
3. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
4. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
6. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
7. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
8. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
9. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
10. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
Throughout the book, Angel struggles with her self-worth and the belief that she will ever be able to do anything except prostitution. As she matures spiritually and emotionally, she tries new avenues of employment. Discuss these various jobs and how they change Angel's sense of value as she evolves from a prostitute to these other trades. Do these jobs have anything in common?
What were Angels earliest experiences with the church and God? How did these shape her views of Christianity, Christians and preachers/priests? How did these opinions evolve? Give specific examples.
In addition to Angel, what other characters tried to escape their circumstances? What were the situations that they wanted to break away from, and how did they attempt to achieve this? Were they successful? Compare/contrast their experiences with Angel's as well as the end results.
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)