|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
2. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
3. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
4. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
5. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
2. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
3. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
4. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
6. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
7. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
8. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
9. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
10. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
Essay Topic 1
Compare/contrast Michael and Angel's childhoods to that of the Altman children. Analyze their relationships with both parents, spiritual climate, and moral reinforcements and influences that they did/did not receive versus those received/not received by the Altmans. Be specific with examples, and make sure to compare the effect that these childhood experiences had on them as young adults.
Essay Topic 2
In the book, unforgiving Paul is the foil to Michael's God-like portrayal of grace. Compare and contrast these two characters, and discuss how both Paul and Michael have evolved by the end of the book. Give specific examples of their spiritual growth and the effect that it has on those around them.
Essay Topic 3
As a child, how do Angel's father figures (both Alex Stafford, "Uncle" Rab, and even Duke) shape who she is as a young adult, her feelings of self-worth, and what she becomes? Give specific examples.
This section contains 2,290 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)