|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Angel and Elizabeth think that Miriam is in love with?
(b) A stranger.
2. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
(a) She thinks Paul is jealous of Angel.
(b) She thinks Paul believes Angel is trouble.
(c) She thinks Paul doesn't like Angel's work ethic.
(d) She thinks Paul was in love with Angel once.
3. In Chapter 26, what did Miriam say is a woman's reason for being?
(a) To bring new life into the world and to nurture it.
(b) To make a home for her husband and family.
(c) To be a bright light in a dark world.
(d) To be an extension of God's hand and do good work.
4. When Angel asked Michael in Chapter 24 if he was ever sorry he found her, what was his reply?
(a) "A few times."
(c) "All the time."
(d) "I can't answer that."
5. When Angel left for the third time, where did she find work?
(a) In a small cafe.
(b) In a brothel.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a local bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
2. What task did Elizabeth ask of Angel?
3. After Angel announced the birth of the Altman's son, what did John ask?
4. What happened to Harper's Cafe?
5. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked him what he'd ever done to be ashamed in his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
2. In Chapter 22, does Angel's love for Michael change while she is away from him?
3. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
4. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
5. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
6. What is Michael's reaction to Angel's darkest secrets in Chapter 21?
7. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
8. In Chapter 28, the Hoseas celebrate Christmas at the Altmans, and Michael reads the Christmas story. What is Angel's reaction to the story?
9. in Chapter 33, why and where does Paul go look for Angel? How does this journey effect him?
10. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)