|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Miriam do to keep Paul from leaving?
(a) Let his horse loose.
(b) Moved in with him.
(c) Ask him to stay.
(d) Destroyed his crops.
2. Why did Duke want to have Angel under his control?
(a) Because he wanted her close.
(b) Because of the power she gave him.
(c) Because he loved her.
(d) Because of her beauty and grace.
3. In Chapter 26, what did Miriam say is a woman's reason for being?
(a) To be an extension of God's hand and do good work.
(b) To be a bright light in a dark world.
(c) To bring new life into the world and to nurture it.
(d) To make a home for her husband and family.
4. Why did Paul want to leave the valley?
(a) Michael made an offer to buy his land.
(b) He was in love with Miriam.
(c) John made an offer to buy his land.
(d) He wanted to return to mining.
5. In Chapter 29, when Angel lifted her head from washing her face in a trough, who was there?
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
2. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
3. What did Angel, Miriam, and Michael sing into at the end of Chapter 24?
4. At one point Angel wanted to leave Sacramento. Where did Angel want to run away to next?
5. What is the House of Magdalena?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
2. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
3. Why does Angel begin to think that there is potential for a relationship between Michael and Miriam?
4. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
5. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
6. When Duke drags Angel away from the cafe and takes her to his home, what does Angel do that seems to put Duke on edge?
7. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
8. In Chapter 27, where is Angel when she hears God's voice, and what does He tell her?
9. How does Angel discover Elizabeth's opinions concerning whom Miriam is in love with? What is Angel's reaction?
10. What is Michael's reaction to Angel's darkest secrets in Chapter 21?
This section contains 1,377 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)