|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 26, what did Miriam say is a woman's reason for being?
(a) To be a bright light in a dark world.
(b) To make a home for her husband and family.
(c) To be an extension of God's hand and do good work.
(d) To bring new life into the world and to nurture it.
2. What happened to Cherry after Angel took her away from Duke?
(a) She disappeared and was never seen again.
(b) She settled with a couple who own a bakery.
(c) She was adopted by Angel and Michael.
(d) She ran away with the Duke and his men.
3. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
(c) Her father.
4. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked him what he'd ever done to be ashamed in his life?
(a) "I've committed adultery."
(b) "I've committed murder."
(c) "I've loved you."
(d) "I've never done anything."
5. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
(c) What are you talking about?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
2. After Angel announced the birth of the Altman's son, what did John ask?
3. When Michael left the cabin after Angel told him all of her "sins," where did he go?
4. What made the dark voice lose its power over Angel?
5. What did the Altmans name their new baby boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
2. In Chapter 26, how does Elizabeth pregnancy influence Angel's opinion of herself and the future?
3. What is the significance of Angel telling Michael that her real name is Sarah?
4. In Chapter 21, why does Angel attempt to push Michael away from her, and how does she hope to accomplish this?
5. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
6. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
7. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
8. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
9. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
10. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
This section contains 1,652 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)