|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel wanted to leave the store, what excuse did Joseph tell Angel to keep her at work?
(a) That she had to prove she was worth the pay.
(b) There wouldn't be money to pay her until later.
(c) Michael was coming for the stove.
(d) Meribah hurt her back.
2. Who does Angel and Elizabeth think that Miriam is in love with?
(a) A stranger.
3. What was Angel's real name?
4. What was Jonathan's reply when Angel asked him, "Where do I go from here?"
(a) "Home is always a soft place to land."
(b) "That's up to you and the Lord."
(c) "That's up to you and your husband."
(d) "As long as you don't back, you'll be fine."
5. Who helped Angel leave Michael for the second time?
(a) Miriam Altman.
(d) Sam Teal.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Angel and Michael spend their last night together before she left for the third time?
2. How did Michael know that Angel was in trouble the third time she left?
3. What was in the pocket-sized packet that Miriam give to Michael for Angel?
4. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
5. What did the quiet voice keep repeating to Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
2. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
3. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 25 concerning Angel's worshipful adoration of Michael?
5. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
6. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
7. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
8. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
9. In Chapter 32, how does Angel find her true calling?
10. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)