|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
(c) Her father.
2. Before he went hunting, what did Michael bring to the cabin for Angel to work on?
(a) Several heavy sacks of walnuts for shelling.
(b) Several heavy sacks of dried corn for shelling.
(c) Several bushels of apples for canning.
(d) Several fresh chickens for dressing.
3. What made the dark voice lose its power over Angel?
(a) Michael's smile.
(b) Paul's change of heart.
(c) God's voice.
(d) The Altman's example.
4. Why was Jonathan Axle so well-known?
(a) He owns one of the largest casinos in San Francisco.
(b) He is a local politician with friends in high places.
(c) He owns one of the biggest banks in San Francisco.
(d) He is a loan shark with a dangerous and deadly reputation.
5. What delicacy did Angel look forward to at Thanksgiving?
(c) Mashed potatoes.
(d) Green beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Angel want Michael to find a husband for Miriam?
2. Why did Angel want to speak to Michael alone when she returned home the third time?
3. How did Michael know that Angel was in trouble the third time she left?
4. How long did Michael wait for Angel after she left the third time?
5. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
2. In Chapter 21, why does Angel attempt to push Michael away from her, and how does she hope to accomplish this?
3. In Chapter 29 when Angel goes to San Francisco, how does God intervene to help her stay away from prostitution?
4. In Chapter 26, how does Elizabeth pregnancy influence Angel's opinion of herself and the future?
5. In Chapter 28, the Hoseas celebrate Christmas at the Altmans, and Michael reads the Christmas story. What is Angel's reaction to the story?
6. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
7. In Chapter 32, how does Angel find her true calling?
8. What does Paul think of Miriam? What is his reaction to her and why?
9. In Chapter 34, what does Angel do when she sees Michael for the first time in several years?
10. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
This section contains 1,501 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)