|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years were Michael and Angel married?
2. When Elizabeth was in labor, what chore did she want to finish before giving birth?
(a) Mending clothes.
(b) Scrubbing the floor.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Cleaning windows.
3. What happened to Cherry after Angel took her away from Duke?
(a) She ran away with the Duke and his men.
(b) She settled with a couple who own a bakery.
(c) She disappeared and was never seen again.
(d) She was adopted by Angel and Michael.
4. What happened to Harper's Cafe?
(a) It expanded.
(b) It went bankrupt.
(c) It burned.
(d) It was sold.
5. How long did Michael and Angel's "blissful happiness" last after returning home from Sacramento?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Duke want to have Angel under his control?
2. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
3. In Chapter 29, when Angel lifted her head from washing her face in a trough, who was there?
4. In Chapter 33, where did Angel tell Susana she was going?
5. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
2. What is the significance of Angel telling Michael that her real name is Sarah?
3. In Chapter 21, why does Angel attempt to push Michael away from her, and how does she hope to accomplish this?
4. In Chapter 32, how does Angel find her true calling?
5. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
6. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
7. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
8. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
9. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
10. How does Angel discover Elizabeth's opinions concerning whom Miriam is in love with? What is Angel's reaction?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)