|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
(a) Once every five years.
(b) One week each year.
(c) A few days a month.
(d) For one month out of the year.
2. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
(a) She thinks Paul is jealous of Angel.
(b) She thinks Paul doesn't like Angel's work ethic.
(c) She thinks Paul believes Angel is trouble.
(d) She thinks Paul was in love with Angel once.
3. What does a panic-stricken Miriam ask Angel to help her with in Chapter 24?
(a) Making apple sauce.
(b) Getting Ruthie out of a tree.
(c) Catching a Godly man.
(d) Dressing a chicken for dinner.
4. What delicacy did Angel look forward to at Thanksgiving?
(c) Green beans.
(d) Mashed potatoes.
5. In Chapter 33, where did Angel tell Susana she was going?
(b) The valley.
(c) To heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, what did Miriam say is a woman's reason for being?
2. From whom did Miriam say she learned her courage?
3. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
4. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
5. According to Michael and Angel's wishes, what marked their graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Duke compare himself to Michael in Chapter 30? What is Angel's opinion?
2. In Chapter 27 as Elizabeth gives birth, what is Angel's emotional reaction?
3. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
4. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
5. in Chapter 33, why and where does Paul go look for Angel? How does this journey effect him?
6. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
7. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
8. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 25 concerning Angel's worshipful adoration of Michael?
9. In Chapter 28, the Hoseas celebrate Christmas at the Altmans, and Michael reads the Christmas story. What is Angel's reaction to the story?
10. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)