|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did Miriam say she learned her courage?
2. When Elizabeth was in labor, what chore did she want to finish before giving birth?
(a) Mending clothes.
(b) Cleaning windows.
(c) Washing dishes.
(d) Scrubbing the floor.
3. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
(d) What are you talking about?
4. In Chapter 33, where did Angel tell Susana she was going?
(b) The valley.
(c) To heaven.
5. What Christmas gift did Angel make for Miriam?
(a) A new apron with delicate lace.
(b) A dried-flower garland with satin ribbons.
(c) A cornhusk doll with yarn hair.
(d) A jar of homemade applesauce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made the dark voice lose its power over Angel?
2. How many years were Michael and Angel married?
3. In Chapter 21, what did Angel think would stop the pain inside her and poison her relationship with Michael?
4. Who tutored Angel?
5. Why did Angel want to speak to Michael alone when she returned home the third time?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
2. Why does Angel continue to make yearly visits to the House of Magdalena?
3. In Chapter 32, how does Angel find her true calling?
4. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
5. In Chapter 31, two people heeded God's voice. Who were they and what was the result?
6. When Duke drags Angel away from the cafe and takes her to his home, what does Angel do that seems to put Duke on edge?
7. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
8. In Chapter 32, what is the conflict between newlyweds Miriam and Paul?
9. What happens in Chapter 23 after Michael has retrieved Angel for the second time?
10. What happens when Angel and Michael are alone in Joseph Hochschild's store in Chapter 23?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)