|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
(a) Miriam Altman.
(b) The Duchess.
2. Why did Paul want to leave the valley?
(a) John made an offer to buy his land.
(b) He wanted to return to mining.
(c) He was in love with Miriam.
(d) Michael made an offer to buy his land.
3. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked if it bothered him when men stared at her?
(b) "I'm flattered."
4. What holiday was just days away from the birth of the Altman's baby?
(b) New Years.
(c) Angel's birthday.
(d) The first day of winter.
5. What Christmas gift did Angel make for Miriam?
(a) A jar of homemade applesauce.
(b) A dried-flower garland with satin ribbons.
(c) A new apron with delicate lace.
(d) A cornhusk doll with yarn hair.
6. How long did Michael and Angel's "blissful happiness" last after returning home from Sacramento?
(a) One day.
(b) One hour.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
7. "Like a beacon in the darkness," where did Angel go to when she arrived in Sacramento?
(a) Hochschild's General Mercantile.
(b) Last Chance Livery.
(c) The Lucky Dollar Saloon.
(d) The local brothel.
8. In Chapter 26, what did Miriam say is a woman's reason for being?
(a) To be a bright light in a dark world.
(b) To bring new life into the world and to nurture it.
(c) To make a home for her husband and family.
(d) To be an extension of God's hand and do good work.
9. After Duke brought Angel back to his home and had visited her a few times, what choice did he give Angel?
(a) Be his mistress or become a prostitute.
(b) Do what he says or he'll kill Michael.
(c) Manage the girls or become one of them.
(d) Do what he says or die.
10. Where did Angel go when she ran away the third time?
(b) Los Angeles.
(c) San Francisco.
11. What did Angel do to feel ashamed after running away for the third time?
(a) Return to prostitution.
(b) Cook for strangers.
(c) Become a pick-pocket.
(d) Eat Duke's food.
12. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
(c) Mrs. Hosea.
13. What was Susana's God Box?
(a) A jewelry box full of scriptures.
(b) A carved box with songs and hymns of praise.
(c) A piece of luggage full of hopes for the future.
(d) A hat box full of prayer requests.
14. What happened to Cherry after Angel took her away from Duke?
(a) She was adopted by Angel and Michael.
(b) She settled with a couple who own a bakery.
(c) She disappeared and was never seen again.
(d) She ran away with the Duke and his men.
15. Who helped Angel leave Michael for the second time?
(a) Sam Teal.
(d) Miriam Altman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Michael died was Angel laid to rest?
2. What was Michael's reply when Angel told Michael her real name?
3. From whom did Miriam say she learned her courage?
4. Who offered Angel a job in Sacramento?
5. What was Michael's reply when Angel asked him what he'd ever done to be ashamed in his life?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)