|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Miriam ask Michael a "man's opinion" about?
(a) What traits he thought were attractive in a woman.
(b) How to get a husband and children of her own.
(c) How to convince her father to give her more freedom.
(d) What home-cooked goods would get a man's attention.
2. What did Angel take of Michael's to remind her of him?
(a) His hat.
(b) His shirt.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His Bible.
3. What day did Angel's mom treat as a holy day?
(a) New Years.
(d) Angel's birthday.
4. Who did Angel ask to run Magdalena?
5. Why did Paul want to leave the valley?
(a) Michael made an offer to buy his land.
(b) John made an offer to buy his land.
(c) He was in love with Miriam.
(d) He wanted to return to mining.
6. Who walked forward with Angel when she wanted to accept Jesus as her Lord?
(a) Susanna Axle.
(b) Miriam Altman.
(c) Michael Hosea.
(d) Jonathan Axle.
7. When Duke said, "No one could ever touch you," what was Angel's reply?
(a) "Michael did."
(b) "Least of all you."
(c) "No one!"
(d) "You did."
8. Before he went hunting, what did Michael bring to the cabin for Angel to work on?
(a) Several fresh chickens for dressing.
(b) Several heavy sacks of walnuts for shelling.
(c) Several heavy sacks of dried corn for shelling.
(d) Several bushels of apples for canning.
9. What did Angel do to feel ashamed after running away for the third time?
(a) Return to prostitution.
(b) Eat Duke's food.
(c) Become a pick-pocket.
(d) Cook for strangers.
10. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
(b) What are you talking about?
11. When Angel wanted to leave the store, what excuse did Joseph tell Angel to keep her at work?
(a) There wouldn't be money to pay her until later.
(b) Michael was coming for the stove.
(c) Meribah hurt her back.
(d) That she had to prove she was worth the pay.
12. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
(a) Clean face, braids, dressed in pastels and ribbons.
(b) Long hair curled with a made-up face.
(c) Sophisticated and wordly in dressing gowns.
(d) Like a school marm, proper and polite.
13. When Duke forced Angel out on stage, what did she sing?
(a) O Susana.
(b) O Holy Night.
(c) Rock of Ages.
(d) Lamb of God.
14. What did God tell Angel when she asked for strength to go to Michael after returning home for the last time?
(a) "Fear not, for I am with you."
(b) "You are weak, but I am strong."
(c) "He loves you as I love you; don't be afraid."
(d) "I have not given you a heart of fear."
15. In Chapter 23, how does Angel describe the way love feels to her?
(a) "It feels strange; I've never felt it before."
(b) "It feels like I'm drowning."
(c) "It feels like you're ripping my heart out."
(d) "It feels wonderful like a spring rain."
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after Michael died was Angel laid to rest?
2. Why was Jonathan Axle so well-known?
3. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
4. In Chapter 29, when Angel lifted her head from washing her face in a trough, who was there?
5. What was the one gift Angel could give Michael?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)