|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Michael know that Angel was in trouble the third time she left?
(a) A telegraph.
(c) A letter.
(d) A dream.
2. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
(a) She thinks Paul believes Angel is trouble.
(b) She thinks Paul is jealous of Angel.
(c) She thinks Paul was in love with Angel once.
(d) She thinks Paul doesn't like Angel's work ethic.
3. What task did Elizabeth ask of Angel?
(a) To take care of the children.
(b) To act as her midwife.
(c) To tend to the garden.
(d) To mend the clothes.
4. How many children did Michael and Angel have?
5. What was Paul's goal every time he saw Angel?
(a) He hoped that Angel would leave Michael for him.
(b) He sought to erode Angel's confidence.
(c) He wanted to compliment Angel.
(d) He wished that Angel would talk to Miriam for him.
6. Who offered Angel a job in Sacramento?
(b) The Duchess.
(d) A stranger.
7. According to Michael and Angel's wishes, what marked their graves?
(a) Nothing at all.
(b) A granite angel.
(c) Simple wooden crosses.
(d) One headstone.
8. Who tutored Angel?
(a) Miriam Altman.
(b) Elizabeth Altman.
(c) Jonathan Axle.
(d) Susanna Axle.
9. What woke Angel from a dream about God?
(a) The guard knocking at the door, delivering a meal.
(b) Duke speaking and a child crying in the next room.
(c) A drunk man yelling and roaming the hall outside.
(d) The dancing girls singing downstairs to a full house.
10. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
(b) What are you talking about?
11. Where did Angel go when she ran away the third time?
(c) San Francisco.
(d) Los Angeles.
12. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
(a) Her father.
13. What was in the pocket-sized packet that Miriam give to Michael for Angel?
(a) A scripture about love.
(b) A jeweled hair comb.
(c) A poem about sisterhood.
(d) Seeds for a flower garden.
14. How many years were Michael and Angel married?
15. Who read the Christmas story at the Altman house?
Short Answer Questions
1. Angel thought her mother's grief was great; what emotion did Angel say was greater?
2. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
3. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
4. What was Susana's God Box?
5. What did the quiet voice keep repeating to Angel?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)