|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
(d) Her father.
2. What gift made Miriam furious when she received it?
(a) Her father's gift of a shovel.
(b) Michael's gift of a book.
(c) Paul's gift of candy.
(d) Her mother's gift of undergarments.
3. What woke Angel from a dream about God?
(a) The guard knocking at the door, delivering a meal.
(b) The dancing girls singing downstairs to a full house.
(c) Duke speaking and a child crying in the next room.
(d) A drunk man yelling and roaming the hall outside.
4. What did Angel take of Michael's to remind her of him?
(a) His Bible.
(b) His hat.
(c) His gloves.
(d) His shirt.
5. Why did Angel run away from Michael a second time?
(a) Paul kept trying to intimidate her.
(b) Michael expected too much from her.
(c) The Altmans discovered the truth about her past.
(d) She fell in love with Michael.
6. What Christmas gift did Angel make for Miriam?
(a) A cornhusk doll with yarn hair.
(b) A dried-flower garland with satin ribbons.
(c) A new apron with delicate lace.
(d) A jar of homemade applesauce.
7. Who tutored Angel?
(a) Susanna Axle.
(b) Miriam Altman.
(c) Jonathan Axle.
(d) Elizabeth Altman.
8. Where did Angel want Michael to find a husband for Miriam?
(a) Los Angeles.
(d) San Francisco.
9. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
(a) Clean face, braids, dressed in pastels and ribbons.
(b) Like a school marm, proper and polite.
(c) Long hair curled with a made-up face.
(d) Sophisticated and wordly in dressing gowns.
10. Who helped Angel leave Michael for the second time?
(b) Sam Teal.
(c) Miriam Altman.
11. Why did Angel decide to leave Michael for the third time?
(a) She wanted him to be with someone who could have children.
(b) She believed that he would eventually leave her for another.
(c) She believed that he didn't really love her as he claimed.
(d) She wanted to finally be free and to live on her own.
12. Why did Duke want to have Angel under his control?
(a) Because of the power she gave him.
(b) Because of her beauty and grace.
(c) Because he loved her.
(d) Because he wanted her close.
13. After Angel announced the birth of the Altman's son, what did John ask?
(a) "Are you sure everthing's alright?"
(b) "What did you say his name was?"
(c) "Another baby boy! I knew it!"
(d) "The lord has blessed me with a son."
14. What made the dark voice lose its power over Angel?
(a) The Altman's example.
(b) God's voice.
(c) Paul's change of heart.
(d) Michael's smile.
15. What did Angel, Miriam, and Michael sing into at the end of Chapter 24?
(a) A well.
(b) A fireplace.
(c) A barrel.
(d) A tin cup.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Michael and Angel's wishes, what marked their graves?
2. What did Miriam ask Michael a "man's opinion" about?
3. Before he went hunting, what did Michael bring to the cabin for Angel to work on?
4. In Chapter 23, how does Angel describe the way love feels to her?
5. What did God tell Angel when she asked for strength to go to Michael after returning home for the last time?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)