|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Michael know that Angel was in trouble the third time she left?
(a) A letter.
(c) A dream.
(d) A telegraph.
2. In Chapter 33, where did Angel tell Susana she was going?
(a) To heaven.
(c) The valley.
3. What happened to Harper's Cafe?
(a) It burned.
(b) It expanded.
(c) It was sold.
(d) It went bankrupt.
4. When Angel asked Michael in Chapter 24 if he was ever sorry he found her, what was his reply?
(a) "All the time."
(c) "I can't answer that."
(d) "A few times."
5. After Angel announced the birth of the Altman's son, what did John ask?
(a) "Another baby boy! I knew it!"
(b) "Are you sure everthing's alright?"
(c) "What did you say his name was?"
(d) "The lord has blessed me with a son."
6. When Duke said, "No one could ever touch you," what was Angel's reply?
(a) "You did."
(b) "Least of all you."
(c) "Michael did."
(d) "No one!"
7. Why did Angel want to speak to Michael alone when she returned home the third time?
8. What did Angel take of Michael's to remind her of him?
(a) His Bible.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His hat.
(d) His shirt.
9. What does a panic-stricken Miriam ask Angel to help her with in Chapter 24?
(a) Making apple sauce.
(b) Dressing a chicken for dinner.
(c) Catching a Godly man.
(d) Getting Ruthie out of a tree.
10. What did Miriam do to keep Paul from leaving?
(a) Let his horse loose.
(b) Moved in with him.
(c) Ask him to stay.
(d) Destroyed his crops.
11. In Chapter 29, when Angel lifted her head from washing her face in a trough, who was there?
12. What was Michael's reply when Angel asks him if he ever thought God was playing some horrible joke on him?
(a) What are you talking about?
13. Why was Jonathan Axle so well-known?
(a) He owns one of the largest casinos in San Francisco.
(b) He is a local politician with friends in high places.
(c) He is a loan shark with a dangerous and deadly reputation.
(d) He owns one of the biggest banks in San Francisco.
14. What is the House of Magdalena?
(a) A schoolhouse for children of prostitutes.
(b) A boarding house for women of ill repute.
(c) A house for single mothers who need assistance.
(d) A home for fallen women who want to change their lives.
15. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
(a) Miriam Altman.
(b) The Duchess.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, how does Angel describe the way love feels to her?
2. Where did Angel and Michael spend their last night together before she left for the third time?
3. What did God tell Angel when she asked for strength to go to Michael after returning home for the last time?
4. What is the reason Miriam thinks that Paul doesn't like Angel?
5. When Angel left Michael for the third time, what did she put in Miriam's hand?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)