|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Duke want to have Angel under his control?
(a) Because he wanted her close.
(b) Because of the power she gave him.
(c) Because he loved her.
(d) Because of her beauty and grace.
2. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
(d) Her father.
3. What happened to Cherry after Angel took her away from Duke?
(a) She was adopted by Angel and Michael.
(b) She ran away with the Duke and his men.
(c) She settled with a couple who own a bakery.
(d) She disappeared and was never seen again.
4. Why did Angel run away from Michael a second time?
(a) The Altmans discovered the truth about her past.
(b) She fell in love with Michael.
(c) Paul kept trying to intimidate her.
(d) Michael expected too much from her.
5. What was Jonathan's reply when Angel asked him, "Where do I go from here?"
(a) "That's up to you and your husband."
(b) "That's up to you and the Lord."
(c) "As long as you don't back, you'll be fine."
(d) "Home is always a soft place to land."
6. When Angel left for the third time, where did she find work?
(a) In a local bar.
(b) In a small cafe.
(c) In a brothel.
(d) In a hotel.
7. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
(a) Clean face, braids, dressed in pastels and ribbons.
(b) Sophisticated and wordly in dressing gowns.
(c) Like a school marm, proper and polite.
(d) Long hair curled with a made-up face.
8. What name did Angel give to Virgil Harper?
(b) Mrs. Hosea.
9. What did Angel tell Michael on their way home from Sacramento in Chapter 23?
(a) "I love you."
(b) "You knew what you were gettng into."
(c) "I'll just end up leaving again."
(d) "You saved me again."
10. What happened to Harper's Cafe?
(a) It burned.
(b) It went bankrupt.
(c) It was sold.
(d) It expanded.
11. Who finally went to get Angel after she ran away for the third time?
12. Angel was anxious to leave the store to avoid Michael, who was coming for the stove. Who was waiting for Angel at the end of that particular working day?
(b) Miriam Altman.
(d) The Duchess.
13. Who does Angel and Elizabeth think that Miriam is in love with?
(b) A stranger.
14. How long did Michael and Angel's "blissful happiness" last after returning home from Sacramento?
(a) One hour.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) One day.
15. What delicacy did Angel look forward to at Thanksgiving?
(c) Mashed potatoes.
(d) Green beans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Michael bring for Angel from his trip to town in Chapter 26?
2. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
3. How did Angel's father die?
4. What was Angel's real name?
5. What gift made Miriam furious when she received it?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)