|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Like a beacon in the darkness," where did Angel go to when she arrived in Sacramento?
(a) The Lucky Dollar Saloon.
(b) Hochschild's General Mercantile.
(c) Last Chance Livery.
(d) The local brothel.
2. What happened on Michael and Angel's seventh anniversary?
(a) Their first son was born.
(b) They went to Sacramento.
(c) They adopted a new baby.
(d) They celebrated with a huge gathering.
3. What did Michael bring for Angel from his trip to town in Chapter 26?
(b) A Bible of her own.
(c) A comb for her hair.
(d) New curtains.
4. What did Angel take of Michael's to remind her of him?
(a) His Bible.
(b) His gloves.
(c) His shirt.
(d) His hat.
5. What holiday was just days away from the birth of the Altman's baby?
(b) New Years.
(c) Angel's birthday.
(d) The first day of winter.
6. When Michael left the cabin after Angel told him all of her "sins," where did he go?
(a) To the hill where he'd shown her the sunrise.
(b) To the Altmans for counseling.
(c) To Pair-a-Dice to drown his sorrows.
(d) To tell Paul that he was right about Angel.
7. What did Angel help the Altman women make while Michael and Paul were in town?
(a) Apple pies.
8. Who read the Christmas story at the Altman house?
9. What is the House of Magdalena?
(a) A boarding house for women of ill repute.
(b) A schoolhouse for children of prostitutes.
(c) A house for single mothers who need assistance.
(d) A home for fallen women who want to change their lives.
10. In Chapter 23, how does Angel describe the way love feels to her?
(a) "It feels wonderful like a spring rain."
(b) "It feels like I'm drowning."
(c) "It feels strange; I've never felt it before."
(d) "It feels like you're ripping my heart out."
11. What did Miriam do to keep Paul from leaving?
(a) Destroyed his crops.
(b) Ask him to stay.
(c) Moved in with him.
(d) Let his horse loose.
12. What was Jonathan's reply when Angel asked him, "Where do I go from here?"
(a) "As long as you don't back, you'll be fine."
(b) "That's up to you and your husband."
(c) "That's up to you and the Lord."
(d) "Home is always a soft place to land."
13. What gift made Miriam furious when she received it?
(a) Michael's gift of a book.
(b) Her father's gift of a shovel.
(c) Paul's gift of candy.
(d) Her mother's gift of undergarments.
14. When Elizabeth was in labor, what chore did she want to finish before giving birth?
(a) Cleaning windows.
(b) Washing dishes.
(c) Mending clothes.
(d) Scrubbing the floor.
15. How did Michael know that Angel was in trouble the third time she left?
(a) A letter.
(b) A telegraph.
(d) A dream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to little Faith after Angel took her away from Duke?
2. Why was Jonathan Axle so well-known?
3. How long did Michael wait for Angel after she left the third time?
4. Why did Angel run away from Michael a second time?
5. Who does Miriam quote "like gospel"?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)