|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Duke brought Angel back to his home and had visited her a few times, what choice did he give Angel?
(a) Be his mistress or become a prostitute.
(b) Manage the girls or become one of them.
(c) Do what he says or he'll kill Michael.
(d) Do what he says or die.
2. What happened to Steven, Susana's fiance?
(a) He ran off with another woman.
(b) He was stabbed to death in an alley.
(c) He died in a hunting accident.
(d) He was murdered while mining.
3. In Chapter 33, where did Angel tell Susana she was going?
(b) To heaven.
(d) The valley.
4. How long did Michael and Angel's "blissful happiness" last after returning home from Sacramento?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One hour.
(d) One month.
5. How did Duke require his mistress to look?
(a) Sophisticated and wordly in dressing gowns.
(b) Like a school marm, proper and polite.
(c) Long hair curled with a made-up face.
(d) Clean face, braids, dressed in pastels and ribbons.
6. Who does Angel and Elizabeth think that Miriam is in love with?
(d) A stranger.
7. What was Susana's God Box?
(a) A carved box with songs and hymns of praise.
(b) A piece of luggage full of hopes for the future.
(c) A hat box full of prayer requests.
(d) A jewelry box full of scriptures.
8. What did the Altmans name their new baby boy?
(a) Murphy Joe.
(b) Michael Paul.
(c) Benjamin Michael.
(d) Paul Simon.
9. At one point Angel wanted to leave Sacramento. Where did Angel want to run away to next?
(a) Kansas City.
(d) San Francisco.
10. What woke Angel from a dream about God?
(a) The guard knocking at the door, delivering a meal.
(b) A drunk man yelling and roaming the hall outside.
(c) Duke speaking and a child crying in the next room.
(d) The dancing girls singing downstairs to a full house.
11. What did the quiet voice keep repeating to Angel?
(a) "My words will fill your mouth."
(b) "Feed my sheep."
(c) "Come out of Egypt."
(d) "Come forth, beloved."
12. How many years were Michael and Angel married?
13. What was Jonathan's reply when Angel asked him, "Where do I go from here?"
(a) "Home is always a soft place to land."
(b) "That's up to you and the Lord."
(c) "That's up to you and your husband."
(d) "As long as you don't back, you'll be fine."
14. Angel thought her mother's grief was great; what emotion did Angel say was greater?
15. What did the Altman's celebrate at the first gathering in their new home?
(a) The new well.
(b) Spring planting.
(c) Elizabeth's pregnancy.
(d) Miriam's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often did Angel return to the House of Magdalena?
2. What delicacy did Angel look forward to at Thanksgiving?
3. Who read the Christmas story at the Altman house?
4. What does a panic-stricken Miriam ask Angel to help her with in Chapter 24?
5. What was Angel's real name?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)