|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Miriam Altman say about Paul in Chapter 20?
(a) He's handsome with dark, brooding eyes.
(b) He's as hateful as the devil and just as handsome.
(c) He's as beautiful as an angel with a halo to match.
(d) He's sweet as honey with fire in his eyes.
2. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
(b) The valley.
3. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
4. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
(a) So that Cleo would have company on her journey.
(b) So that Sarah's father could visit her mother alone.
(c) So that Sarah could see the ocean for the first time.
(d) So that Sarah could visit her extended family.
5. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
(a) Use it to invest in more land.
(b) Buy a house in town.
(c) Use it to court Angel.
(d) Buy a couple head of cattle.
6. How does Angel feel about the Altmans doing chores?
(a) She feels useless.
(b) She feels she does a better job.
(c) She feels free.
(d) She feels it's owed her.
7. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
(a) Gramma's ring.
(b) His sister's life.
(c) Papa's watch.
(d) His right hand.
8. When Michael went to Sacramento, who did he take with him?
(a) The Duchess.
(c) A stranger.
9. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
(a) In the cabin, cooking.
(b) In the barn, crying.
(c) In the stream, bathing.
(d) In the corral, working.
10. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
(a) Nothing at all.
(b) "Oh, no."
(d) "Why not?"
11. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
(a) Hosea had driven his wife half crazy like Michael had done to Angel.
(b) Hosea's wife had a Duchess of her own that owed her money.
(c) Hosea didn't give her enough money to buy what she wanted.
(d) Hosea's wife just wanted to be left alone.
12. Whose clothes did Michael give to Angel at the cabin?
(a) His sister's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) A stranger's.
(d) Ones he made.
13. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A minister named John.
(b) A slave named Ezra.
(c) His great-grandmother.
(d) His school teacher.
14. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
(a) To hide her money.
(b) To look beautiful.
(c) To grow old gracefully.
(d) To pretend.
15. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were walking at night and Angel wanted to return to the cabin, Michael asked her what she was afraid of. What did she say it was?
2. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
3. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
4. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
5. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)