|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Angel mentally tabulate how much time and money Michael has spent on nursing her back to health and training her for independence?
(a) In order to mock him for his wasted efforts.
(b) So she can tell everyone how much he cares for her.
(c) So she can repay him for every hour and ounce.
(d) In order to thank him for all of his efforts.
2. When Angel tells Michael, "You and God better not expect much," he replies ...
(a) "I want everything."
(b) "Time waits for no man."
(c) "God will supply all my needs."
(d) "I don't want anything."
3. When Angel woke from a nightmare and Michael asked her what it was about, what was her reply?
(a) "I was your prisoner."
(b) "I can't remember."
(c) "I was back at the brothel."
(d) "You don't want to know."
4. After one night with Duke, how is Sarah changed?
(a) She is confident that he can teach her to survive without her mom.
(b) She believes everything she's ever heard about the cruelty of men.
(c) She knows that she has found a man who'll love her forever.
(d) She feels that she can finally be a part of a family.
5. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
(b) The valley.
(d) The Altmans.
6. Why did Alex tell his lover Mae that he never wanted Sarah?
(a) He never believed he was Sarah's biological father.
(b) He only wanted sons to carry on his legacy.
(c) He had a legitimate family of his own.
(d) He did not want to be financially responsible for Sarah.
7. Why did Angel want Michael to show her how to cook?
(a) So that she could learn a new skill for another job.
(b) So that she'd be able to cook a good, hearty meal for Michael.
(c) So she'd know how cook for herself when she had her own place.
(d) So that she would have another chore to help pass the time.
8. What happened to Magowan after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He was the new owner of The Palace.
(b) He disappeared without a trace.
(c) He was hanged on Main Street.
(d) He became a born-again Christian.
9. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
(a) A chunk of amethyst turned inside out.
(b) A wild dog, rabid and unpredictable.
(c) A diamond in the rough.
(d) A prickly thorn, small but capable of much pain.
10. Why didn't Mae want Sarah to thank Alex for the presents he'd left?
(a) They were never intended for Sarah; they were for Mae.
(b) They weren't gifts, but a bribe, to keep Sarah out of the way.
(c) Mae believed a formal thank you letter was more appropriate.
(d) Mae knew Alex was embarrassed by any show of feminine emotion.
11. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
12. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
(a) The small, empty trunk.
(b) The cold ice chest.
(c) The rickety rocking chair.
(d) The barren fireplace.
13. How did Angel feel when she walked in the cabin after returning from Pair-a-Dice?
(a) "I'm home."
(b) "Not this dump again."
(c) "I can do better."
(d) "It hasn't changed a bit."
14. How is Paul related to Michael?
(a) He is Michael's cousin.
(b) He is Michael's oldest brother.
(c) He was Michael's stepbrother.
(d) He was married to Michael's sister.
15. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(b) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(c) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(d) In the mountains, looking for God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
2. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
3. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
4. What did Angel do for a job when she returned to Pair-a-Dice?
5. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)