|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Michael get Angel out the Silver Dollar after she ran away from the Valley?
(a) He snuck them out.
(b) He bribed their way out.
(c) He fought their way out.
(d) He kidnapped her.
2. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
3. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
(a) To exfoliate, revealing more youthful skin.
(b) To rid her skin of lice from Pair-a-Dice.
(c) To assure herself she was capable of feeling.
(d) To clean off the filth of her betrayal.
4. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
(a) The barren fireplace.
(b) The small, empty trunk.
(c) The rickety rocking chair.
(d) The cold ice chest.
5. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One week.
(c) One and a half days.
(d) Three days.
6. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He was tired of calling her Mara.
(b) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
(c) She asked him to call her that.
(d) He wanted to name her after his mother.
7. What is the name of the prostitute who is Sarah's only friend?
(b) Mai Ling.
8. When Angel tells Michael to call her whatever he wants, what does he name her?
(a) Tristyn, meaning sad.
(b) Sarah, meaning princess.
(c) Mara, meaning bitter.
(d) Blythe, meaning joyous.
9. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
10. Whose clothes did Michael give to Angel at the cabin?
(a) His sister's.
(b) A stranger's.
(c) His mother's.
(d) Ones he made.
11. Why does Angel mentally tabulate how much time and money Michael has spent on nursing her back to health and training her for independence?
(a) So she can repay him for every hour and ounce.
(b) In order to thank him for all of his efforts.
(c) So she can tell everyone how much he cares for her.
(d) In order to mock him for his wasted efforts.
12. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
(a) Her greatest desire was to be left alone, to answer to no one.
(b) She wanted to be free to court with other men, never to settle down.
(c) She didn't want to be a mother and housewife for the rest of her life.
(d) She thought it meant losing control of her emotions, will and life.
13. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A minister named John.
(b) His school teacher.
(c) His great-grandmother.
(d) A slave named Ezra.
14. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(b) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(c) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(d) In the mountains, looking for God.
15. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
(a) "Because God told me to care for you and to nurture you."
(b) "Because for some of us, one mile can be farther to walk than thirty."
(c) "Because you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes."
(d) "Because I have walked a mile in your shoes."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
2. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
3. When Michael went to Sacramento, who did he take with him?
4. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
5. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)