|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
(a) Five times.
(c) Two times.
(d) Three times.
2. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
3. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
(a) In the stream, bathing.
(b) In the corral, working.
(c) In the cabin, cooking.
(d) In the barn, crying.
4. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) In the mountains, looking for God.
(b) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(c) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(d) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
5. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
(a) The family of deer.
(b) The stream.
(c) The view of the cabin below.
(d) The sunrise.
6. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
(a) She wanted to see how close civilization was.
(b) She was lonely, and wanted Michael's company.
(c) She wanted to get to work to pay back Michael.
(d) She was bored and tired of being cooped up in the cabin.
7. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
(a) To grow old gracefully.
(b) To look beautiful.
(c) To hide her money.
(d) To pretend.
8. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
(a) A chunk of amethyst turned inside out.
(b) A prickly thorn, small but capable of much pain.
(c) A diamond in the rough.
(d) A wild dog, rabid and unpredictable.
9. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One week.
(d) One and a half days.
10. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He wanted to name her after his mother.
(b) He was tired of calling her Mara.
(c) She asked him to call her that.
(d) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
11. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
(a) She likes it.
(b) She has nowhere to go.
(c) She needs the money.
(d) She feels like it's home.
12. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
(a) "It will keep us busy for a while."
(b) "We will do it together."
(c) "It won't take too long."
(d) "It'll take us a lifetime."
13. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
(a) "Because God told me to care for you and to nurture you."
(b) "Because for some of us, one mile can be farther to walk than thirty."
(c) "Because I have walked a mile in your shoes."
(d) "Because you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes."
14. When Michael Hosea sees Angel for the first time, what does God tells him?
(a) "For I know the plans I have for you..."
(b) "Take my yoke upon you."
(c) "Those without sin may cast the first stone."
(d) "This one, beloved."
15. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
2. What does Angel tells Michael that she knows all about?
3. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
4. How does Angel feel about the Altmans doing chores?
5. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)