|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Michael decide to go back to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He had a bad dream about Angel.
(b) He needed some supplies for winter.
(c) He wanted to look up an old friend.
(d) He had decided to find a wife.
2. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
(a) She was terrified by it.
(b) She was captivated by it.
(c) She was confused by it.
(d) She was amused by it.
3. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
(a) "It won't take too long."
(b) "It'll take us a lifetime."
(c) "It will keep us busy for a while."
(d) "We will do it together."
4. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
(a) His sister's life.
(b) Gramma's ring.
(c) His right hand.
(d) Papa's watch.
5. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
(a) She says wild wolves have claimed a neighbor's child.
(b) She says she met Michael in a brothel.
(c) She says the cabin is very small and food is limited.
(d) She says that as newlyweds they require their privacy.
6. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
(a) Love of money.
7. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
(a) It has a new owner.
(b) It is under construction.
(c) It has a booming business.
(d) It burns down.
8. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
(a) She was bored and tired of being cooped up in the cabin.
(b) She wanted to get to work to pay back Michael.
(c) She was lonely, and wanted Michael's company.
(d) She wanted to see how close civilization was.
9. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
(a) The Altmans.
(d) The valley.
10. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He was tired of calling her Mara.
(b) He wanted to name her after his mother.
(c) She asked him to call her that.
(d) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
11. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
(a) So that Sarah could see the ocean for the first time.
(b) So that Cleo would have company on her journey.
(c) So that Sarah's father could visit her mother alone.
(d) So that Sarah could visit her extended family.
12. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael made fun of her predicament.
(b) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
(c) Michael washed her hands and feet.
(d) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
13. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
(b) To have a picnic with his companion.
(c) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
(d) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
14. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(b) So that she will do chores.
(c) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(d) To give her time to think.
15. How is Paul related to Michael?
(a) He was Michael's stepbrother.
(b) He is Michael's oldest brother.
(c) He was married to Michael's sister.
(d) He is Michael's cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael tells Angel that he knew the first time he saw her that he was going to marry her, what feature did Michael say he saw first?
2. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
3. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
4. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
5. When Angel tells Michael to call her whatever he wants, what does he name her?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)