|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He was tired of calling her Mara.
(b) She asked him to call her that.
(c) He wanted to name her after his mother.
(d) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
2. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
(a) Two times.
(b) Three times.
(c) Five times.
3. What does Angel tells Michael that she knows all about?
4. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(b) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(c) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(d) In the mountains, looking for God.
5. Angel begins to like life in the little cabin. She feels comfortable and safe except for one thing. What is it?
(a) The unpredictable weather.
(b) Michael Hosea.
(c) The difficult chores.
(d) Her memories of the Palace.
6. When Angel thinks that everyone she draws close to leaves, what does she say is deadly?
7. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
(a) A mocking bird outside the window.
(b) Him reading out of the Bible.
(c) The crackling of the fire.
(d) The babbling brook nearby.
8. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(b) So that she will do chores.
(c) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(d) To give her time to think.
9. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
10. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
(a) She says she met Michael in a brothel.
(b) She says wild wolves have claimed a neighbor's child.
(c) She says that as newlyweds they require their privacy.
(d) She says the cabin is very small and food is limited.
11. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a gift.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) By going to church.
(d) By labor.
12. What happened to Magowan after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He was the new owner of The Palace.
(b) He was hanged on Main Street.
(c) He disappeared without a trace.
(d) He became a born-again Christian.
13. How did Angel pay Paul for the ride to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She promised him money from the Duchess.
(b) She gave him a kiss.
(c) She gave him sex.
(d) She made him a home-cooked meal.
14. What did Paul want Michael to do about his marriage to Angel?
(a) Get it annulled.
(b) Get divorced.
(c) Stay until he tires of her.
(d) Make it work.
15. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
(b) "My mother."
(c) "A stranger."
(d) "An actress."
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Angel feel when she walked in the cabin after returning from Pair-a-Dice?
2. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
3. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
4. Why didn't Mae want Sarah to thank Alex for the presents he'd left?
5. Why did Angel want Michael to show her how to cook?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)