|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
(b) "Oh, no."
(c) "Why not?"
(d) Nothing at all.
2. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
(a) She needs the money.
(b) She likes it.
(c) She feels like it's home.
(d) She has nowhere to go.
3. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) So that she will do chores.
(b) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(c) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(d) To give her time to think.
4. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
(d) The valley.
5. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
(a) The cold ice chest.
(b) The rickety rocking chair.
(c) The small, empty trunk.
(d) The barren fireplace.
6. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
(a) Mae becomes a prostitute in New York.
(b) Mae becomes a housekeeper for a wealthy family.
(c) Mae becomes a cook for a local restaurant.
(d) Mae becomes a mail order bride.
7. Why didn't Mae want Sarah to thank Alex for the presents he'd left?
(a) Mae believed a formal thank you letter was more appropriate.
(b) Mae knew Alex was embarrassed by any show of feminine emotion.
(c) They were never intended for Sarah; they were for Mae.
(d) They weren't gifts, but a bribe, to keep Sarah out of the way.
8. What is the name of the prostitute who is Sarah's only friend?
(b) Mai Ling.
9. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
(b) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
(c) Michael made fun of her predicament.
(d) Michael washed her hands and feet.
10. What happened the morning after Michael and Angel consummated their marriage?
(a) They made a lavish breakfast.
(b) Angel refused to speak.
(c) Angel tried to run away.
(d) They held hands under the sunset.
11. What did Angel do when she wanted to leave and Michael asked if they could talk it over?
(a) She began to laugh in his face.
(b) She walked away.
(c) She started to cry uncontrollably.
(d) She slapped him in the face.
12. Who did Michael tell Angel used to call him names?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
13. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A minister named John.
(b) His school teacher.
(c) A slave named Ezra.
(d) His great-grandmother.
14. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
(a) She says wild wolves have claimed a neighbor's child.
(b) She says that as newlyweds they require their privacy.
(c) She says she met Michael in a brothel.
(d) She says the cabin is very small and food is limited.
15. How did Angel feel when she walked in the cabin after returning from Pair-a-Dice?
(a) "It hasn't changed a bit."
(b) "I'm home."
(c) "I can do better."
(d) "Not this dump again."
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
2. When Angel woke from a nightmare and Michael asked her what it was about, what was her reply?
3. Remembering her childhood, why did Angel say she loved the rain?
4. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
5. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)