|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
(a) By breaking the window.
(b) By ruining his dinner.
(c) By refusing to do chores.
(d) By not talking to him.
2. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
(a) His right hand.
(b) Papa's watch.
(c) Gramma's ring.
(d) His sister's life.
3. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
(a) Mae becomes a prostitute in New York.
(b) Mae becomes a cook for a local restaurant.
(c) Mae becomes a mail order bride.
(d) Mae becomes a housekeeper for a wealthy family.
4. What did Michael call Angel that hurt her feelings?
5. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
(a) He was jealous.
(b) He wanted to be the first to marry.
(c) He thought that Michael was lying.
(d) He thought Michael should be a priest.
6. What does Angel say when Michael asks her if he's gotten inside her heart?
(a) "A little."
(b) "You and five other men."
(c) "Like a knife wound."
7. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A minister named John.
(b) A slave named Ezra.
(c) His great-grandmother.
(d) His school teacher.
8. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
9. What members of the Altman family died on their way to Oregon?
(a) A son and grandma.
(b) A sister and family pet.
(c) Twin baby daughters.
(d) An aunt and uncle.
10. What happened to Lucky and Mai Ling, Angel's co-workers, after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
(a) They moved away.
(b) They worked for another brothel.
(c) They were killed.
(d) They started their own business.
11. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
(a) She feels like it's home.
(b) She needs the money.
(c) She has nowhere to go.
(d) She likes it.
12. When Mae dies, what does Rab do to try to help Sarah?
(a) He sells his possessions to provide for Sarah's education.
(b) He does his best to be a wonderful father to Sarah.
(c) He asks a trusted friend to take Sarah in as a daughter.
(d) He takes Sarah to a man he believes wants to adopt her.
13. What did Miriam Altman say about Paul in Chapter 20?
(a) He's handsome with dark, brooding eyes.
(b) He's sweet as honey with fire in his eyes.
(c) He's as beautiful as an angel with a halo to match.
(d) He's as hateful as the devil and just as handsome.
14. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
(a) A chunk of amethyst turned inside out.
(b) A wild dog, rabid and unpredictable.
(c) A diamond in the rough.
(d) A prickly thorn, small but capable of much pain.
15. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
(a) One week.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two hours.
(d) One and a half days.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
2. What two subjects was Lucky never allowed to talk about with Angel?
3. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
4. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
5. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)