|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
(a) A mocking bird outside the window.
(b) The babbling brook nearby.
(c) The crackling of the fire.
(d) Him reading out of the Bible.
2. How did Angel pay Paul for the ride to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She gave him a kiss.
(b) She gave him sex.
(c) She promised him money from the Duchess.
(d) She made him a home-cooked meal.
3. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
(a) The stream.
(b) The sunrise.
(c) The family of deer.
(d) The view of the cabin below.
4. When Angel tells Michael, "You and God better not expect much," he replies ...
(a) "I want everything."
(b) "Time waits for no man."
(c) "I don't want anything."
(d) "God will supply all my needs."
5. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
(b) "My mother."
(c) "A stranger."
(d) "An actress."
6. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
(a) By ruining his dinner.
(b) By not talking to him.
(c) By refusing to do chores.
(d) By breaking the window.
7. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two hours.
(c) One week.
(d) One and a half days.
8. When Mae dies, what does Rab do to try to help Sarah?
(a) He takes Sarah to a man he believes wants to adopt her.
(b) He sells his possessions to provide for Sarah's education.
(c) He does his best to be a wonderful father to Sarah.
(d) He asks a trusted friend to take Sarah in as a daughter.
9. Why did Michael decide to go back to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He wanted to look up an old friend.
(b) He had decided to find a wife.
(c) He had a bad dream about Angel.
(d) He needed some supplies for winter.
10. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael made fun of her predicament.
(b) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
(c) Michael washed her hands and feet.
(d) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
11. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
(a) Gramma's ring.
(b) His sister's life.
(c) Papa's watch.
(d) His right hand.
12. When Michael Hosea sees Angel for the first time, what does God tells him?
(a) "Those without sin may cast the first stone."
(b) "For I know the plans I have for you..."
(c) "This one, beloved."
(d) "Take my yoke upon you."
13. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) In the mountains, looking for God.
(b) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(c) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(d) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
14. Why does Angel mentally tabulate how much time and money Michael has spent on nursing her back to health and training her for independence?
(a) In order to mock him for his wasted efforts.
(b) So she can tell everyone how much he cares for her.
(c) So she can repay him for every hour and ounce.
(d) In order to thank him for all of his efforts.
15. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
(a) She wanted to get to work to pay back Michael.
(b) She wanted to see how close civilization was.
(c) She was bored and tired of being cooped up in the cabin.
(d) She was lonely, and wanted Michael's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two subjects was Lucky never allowed to talk about with Angel?
2. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
3. What did God say when Michael asked him for guidance about how to help Angel?
4. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
5. When Michael stops thinking of Angel as the prostitute he loved and who betrayed him, how does her see her?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)