|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
2. Why did Michael decide to go back to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He needed some supplies for winter.
(b) He wanted to look up an old friend.
(c) He had decided to find a wife.
(d) He had a bad dream about Angel.
3. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a kiss.
(b) With a gift.
(c) By labor.
(d) By going to church.
4. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
(a) A chunk of amethyst turned inside out.
(b) A diamond in the rough.
(c) A wild dog, rabid and unpredictable.
(d) A prickly thorn, small but capable of much pain.
5. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) To give her time to think.
(b) So that she will do chores.
(c) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(d) In order to visit with the neighbors.
6. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
(a) He thought that Michael was lying.
(b) He thought Michael should be a priest.
(c) He was jealous.
(d) He wanted to be the first to marry.
7. What did Angel do when she wanted to leave and Michael asked if they could talk it over?
(a) She slapped him in the face.
(b) She began to laugh in his face.
(c) She walked away.
(d) She started to cry uncontrollably.
8. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
(a) Her greatest desire was to be left alone, to answer to no one.
(b) She thought it meant losing control of her emotions, will and life.
(c) She wanted to be free to court with other men, never to settle down.
(d) She didn't want to be a mother and housewife for the rest of her life.
9. What did Ruth Altman say that she ate once when she was little?
(a) A beetle.
(b) A worm.
(c) A rotten apple.
(d) A cricket.
10. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
(b) The valley.
(c) The Altmans.
11. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
(b) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
(c) To have a picnic with his companion.
(d) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
12. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
(a) They can always pick a tenderhearted person.
(b) They are a faithful and true companion.
(c) They keep you warm at night.
(d) They always know when a storm is coming.
13. Remembering her childhood, why did Angel say she loved the rain?
(a) She'd use ther tongue to catch the raindrops.
(b) She'd play in the puddles.
(c) She'd have her mom to herself.
(d) She'd use the rainwater to wash her hair.
14. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
(a) So that Sarah could see the ocean for the first time.
(b) So that Sarah could visit her extended family.
(c) So that Sarah's father could visit her mother alone.
(d) So that Cleo would have company on her journey.
15. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
(a) To pretend.
(b) To grow old gracefully.
(c) To hide her money.
(d) To look beautiful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
2. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
3. What made Angel feel guilty when she returned to the cabin?
4. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
5. When Angel thinks that everyone she draws close to leaves, what does she say is deadly?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)