|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the prostitute who is Sarah's only friend?
(a) Mai Ling.
2. What did Miriam Altman say about Paul in Chapter 20?
(a) He's handsome with dark, brooding eyes.
(b) He's as hateful as the devil and just as handsome.
(c) He's sweet as honey with fire in his eyes.
(d) He's as beautiful as an angel with a halo to match.
3. Who did Michael tell Angel used to call him names?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His sister.
4. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To have a picnic with his companion.
(b) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
(c) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
(d) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
5. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
(a) To grow old gracefully.
(b) To pretend.
(c) To look beautiful.
(d) To hide her money.
6. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
7. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
(a) "Because he was a selfish man."
(b) "He never loved her in the first place."
(c) "He was in love with his wife."
(d) "Because of me."
8. When Michael tells Angel that he knew the first time he saw her that he was going to marry her, what feature did Michael say he saw first?
(a) Her voluptuous curves.
(b) Her young, stone-cold face.
(c) Her blonde, cornsilk hair.
(d) Her small, petite frame.
9. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
(a) "It'll take us a lifetime."
(b) "It will keep us busy for a while."
(c) "It won't take too long."
(d) "We will do it together."
10. What did Paul want Michael to do about his marriage to Angel?
(a) Get it annulled.
(b) Stay until he tires of her.
(c) Make it work.
(d) Get divorced.
11. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
(a) Mae becomes a prostitute in New York.
(b) Mae becomes a mail order bride.
(c) Mae becomes a cook for a local restaurant.
(d) Mae becomes a housekeeper for a wealthy family.
12. When Michael stops thinking of Angel as the prostitute he loved and who betrayed him, how does her see her?
(a) As his new, young bride who needed his attention and affection.
(b) As a beautiful stranger, someone he could start a new life with.
(c) As the future mother of his children, worthy of his respect and love.
(d) As the nameless child who had been broken and was still lost.
13. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
(b) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
(c) Michael washed her hands and feet.
(d) Michael made fun of her predicament.
14. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
(a) The barren fireplace.
(b) The rickety rocking chair.
(c) The small, empty trunk.
(d) The cold ice chest.
15. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
(a) By not talking to him.
(b) By refusing to do chores.
(c) By ruining his dinner.
(d) By breaking the window.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
2. How does Angel feel about the Altmans doing chores?
3. Angel begins to like life in the little cabin. She feels comfortable and safe except for one thing. What is it?
4. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
5. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)