|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
(a) It has a new owner.
(b) It burns down.
(c) It is under construction.
(d) It has a booming business.
2. Why did Michael ask Angel to pick up walnuts?
(a) To share their bounty with the neighbors.
(b) So that she could earn her keep.
(c) So that they could feed the squirrels.
(d) To keep her from going to Pair-a-Dice.
3. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
(a) "Because God told me to care for you and to nurture you."
(b) "Because for some of us, one mile can be farther to walk than thirty."
(c) "Because you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes."
(d) "Because I have walked a mile in your shoes."
4. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
(a) He wanted to be the first to marry.
(b) He was jealous.
(c) He thought that Michael was lying.
(d) He thought Michael should be a priest.
5. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
(a) In the barn, crying.
(b) In the stream, bathing.
(c) In the corral, working.
(d) In the cabin, cooking.
6. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
(a) She wanted to invest it in a piece of jewelry.
(b) She wanted to open her very own brothel.
(c) She wanted to buy a little house of her own.
(d) She wanted to hide it in a safe place.
7. When Angel woke from a nightmare and Michael asked her what it was about, what was her reply?
(a) "I was back at the brothel."
(b) "You don't want to know."
(c) "I was your prisoner."
(d) "I can't remember."
8. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
(a) A prickly thorn, small but capable of much pain.
(b) A chunk of amethyst turned inside out.
(c) A diamond in the rough.
(d) A wild dog, rabid and unpredictable.
9. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a gift.
(b) By going to church.
(c) By labor.
(d) With a kiss.
10. Why did Angel jump off the wagon when Michael tried to take her home?
(a) She thought he was going to punish her.
(b) She was angry and wanted to walk.
(c) She didn't want to sit close to him.
(d) She didn't want to go back to the cabin.
11. After her first week on her feet, why did Angel finally come out of the cabin?
(a) She was bored and tired of being cooped up in the cabin.
(b) She wanted to get to work to pay back Michael.
(c) She wanted to see how close civilization was.
(d) She was lonely, and wanted Michael's company.
12. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
(d) The valley.
13. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael made fun of her predicament.
(b) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
(c) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
(d) Michael washed her hands and feet.
14. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
(a) "Oh, no."
(b) Nothing at all.
(d) "Why not?"
15. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
(b) She asked him to call her that.
(c) He wanted to name her after his mother.
(d) He was tired of calling her Mara.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
2. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
3. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
4. What two subjects was Lucky never allowed to talk about with Angel?
5. When Michael went to Sacramento, who did he take with him?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)