|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Paul want Michael to do about his marriage to Angel?
(a) Get divorced.
(b) Get it annulled.
(c) Make it work.
(d) Stay until he tires of her.
2. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
(d) Love of money.
3. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
(a) "A stranger."
(c) "An actress."
(d) "My mother."
4. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
(a) He was jealous.
(b) He thought that Michael was lying.
(c) He wanted to be the first to marry.
(d) He thought Michael should be a priest.
5. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
(a) Hosea had driven his wife half crazy like Michael had done to Angel.
(b) Hosea's wife just wanted to be left alone.
(c) Hosea's wife had a Duchess of her own that owed her money.
(d) Hosea didn't give her enough money to buy what she wanted.
6. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
(a) To exfoliate, revealing more youthful skin.
(b) To clean off the filth of her betrayal.
(c) To rid her skin of lice from Pair-a-Dice.
(d) To assure herself she was capable of feeling.
7. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
(a) In the barn, crying.
(b) In the stream, bathing.
(c) In the corral, working.
(d) In the cabin, cooking.
8. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
(a) Papa's watch.
(b) Gramma's ring.
(c) His right hand.
(d) His sister's life.
9. How does Angel feel about the Altmans doing chores?
(a) She feels she does a better job.
(b) She feels free.
(c) She feels useless.
(d) She feels it's owed her.
10. Why did Michael ask Angel to pick up walnuts?
(a) So that she could earn her keep.
(b) So that they could feed the squirrels.
(c) To share their bounty with the neighbors.
(d) To keep her from going to Pair-a-Dice.
11. When Angel says she's a door a thousand men have walked through, what does Michael say she is?
(a) A window with pretty curtains, open for all to see.
(b) A locked trunk, full of dark secrets.
(c) A frozen lake, waiting for a spring thaw.
(d) A stone wall, four feet thick and a hundred feet high.
12. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
13. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
(a) "Because God told me to care for you and to nurture you."
(b) "Because you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes."
(c) "Because I have walked a mile in your shoes."
(d) "Because for some of us, one mile can be farther to walk than thirty."
14. How did Angel pay Paul for the ride to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She gave him sex.
(b) She gave him a kiss.
(c) She promised him money from the Duchess.
(d) She made him a home-cooked meal.
15. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a gift.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) By going to church.
(d) By labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened the morning after Michael and Angel consummated their marriage?
2. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
3. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
4. What did John Altman talk about like it was heaven?
5. When Michael stops thinking of Angel as the prostitute he loved and who betrayed him, how does her see her?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)