|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Michael decide to go back to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) He had a bad dream about Angel.
(b) He needed some supplies for winter.
(c) He had decided to find a wife.
(d) He wanted to look up an old friend.
2. How many days was Angel delirious at Michael's cabin before she awakened?
(a) One and a half days.
(b) One week.
(c) Three days.
(d) Two hours.
3. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
(a) She has nowhere to go.
(b) She feels like it's home.
(c) She needs the money.
(d) She likes it.
4. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A slave named Ezra.
(b) A minister named John.
(c) His school teacher.
(d) His great-grandmother.
5. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
(a) She was captivated by it.
(b) She was terrified by it.
(c) She was amused by it.
(d) She was confused by it.
6. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
(d) Love of money.
7. What happened the morning after Michael and Angel consummated their marriage?
(a) They held hands under the sunset.
(b) They made a lavish breakfast.
(c) Angel refused to speak.
(d) Angel tried to run away.
8. What is the major lesson Angel remembers learning from Duke?
(a) To grow old gracefully.
(b) To look beautiful.
(c) To pretend.
(d) To hide her money.
9. What did Angel do when she wanted to leave and Michael asked if they could talk it over?
(a) She began to laugh in his face.
(b) She walked away.
(c) She slapped him in the face.
(d) She started to cry uncontrollably.
10. Whose clothes did Michael give to Angel at the cabin?
(a) A stranger's.
(b) Ones he made.
(c) His mother's.
(d) His sister's.
11. When they were walking at night and Angel wanted to return to the cabin, Michael asked her what she was afraid of. What did she say it was?
(a) His all-seeing God.
(b) The dark.
(c) The wild animals.
(d) His presence.
12. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
(b) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
(c) To have a picnic with his companion.
(d) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
13. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
(a) The crackling of the fire.
(b) A mocking bird outside the window.
(c) Him reading out of the Bible.
(d) The babbling brook nearby.
14. Who did Michael say that Angel fell in love with instead of him?
(a) The Altmans.
(d) The valley.
15. Why does Angel mentally tabulate how much time and money Michael has spent on nursing her back to health and training her for independence?
(a) So she can repay him for every hour and ounce.
(b) In order to thank him for all of his efforts.
(c) In order to mock him for his wasted efforts.
(d) So she can tell everyone how much he cares for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
2. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
3. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
4. What did Angel do for a job when she returned to Pair-a-Dice?
5. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)