|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Paul related to Michael?
(a) He is Michael's oldest brother.
(b) He was Michael's stepbrother.
(c) He was married to Michael's sister.
(d) He is Michael's cousin.
2. Who helped Michael rescue Angel from the Palace?
3. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
(a) She wanted to buy a little house of her own.
(b) She wanted to hide it in a safe place.
(c) She wanted to invest it in a piece of jewelry.
(d) She wanted to open her very own brothel.
4. When Michael asks Angel what she sees in the mirror, what is her reply?
(a) "My mother."
(b) "A stranger."
(c) "An actress."
5. What members of the Altman family died on their way to Oregon?
(a) Twin baby daughters.
(b) A son and grandma.
(c) A sister and family pet.
(d) An aunt and uncle.
6. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
(a) The stream.
(b) The view of the cabin below.
(c) The family of deer.
(d) The sunrise.
7. Why didn't Angel want to fall in love?
(a) She didn't want to be a mother and housewife for the rest of her life.
(b) She thought it meant losing control of her emotions, will and life.
(c) Her greatest desire was to be left alone, to answer to no one.
(d) She wanted to be free to court with other men, never to settle down.
8. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
(a) "He never loved her in the first place."
(b) "Because of me."
(c) "Because he was a selfish man."
(d) "He was in love with his wife."
9. Why did Angel want Michael to show her how to cook?
(a) So that she could learn a new skill for another job.
(b) So that she would have another chore to help pass the time.
(c) So that she'd be able to cook a good, hearty meal for Michael.
(d) So she'd know how cook for herself when she had her own place.
10. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
(a) Buy a couple head of cattle.
(b) Use it to invest in more land.
(c) Buy a house in town.
(d) Use it to court Angel.
11. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
(a) Love of money.
12. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
(a) They keep you warm at night.
(b) They can always pick a tenderhearted person.
(c) They always know when a storm is coming.
(d) They are a faithful and true companion.
13. When Angel tells Michael, "You and God better not expect much," he replies ...
(a) "God will supply all my needs."
(b) "Time waits for no man."
(c) "I don't want anything."
(d) "I want everything."
14. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
15. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
(a) "The Golden Rule."
(b) "My own."
(c) "God's laws."
(d) "Yours, Michael."
Short Answer Questions
1. When Angel says she's a door a thousand men have walked through, what does Michael say she is?
2. After one night with Duke, how is Sarah changed?
3. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
4. What happened to Magowan after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
5. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)