|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Back at Glenroe, what do Serena and Malcolm do when they learn the English are getting closer?
2. What is Serena trying to tell Brigham when he asks her to go to America with him?
3. What does Serena tell her mother she doesn't want to be?
4. Why does Serena apologize to Parkins?
5. After nearly three weeks of rest, what are Coll and Brigham thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Nine, why does Brigham follow Serena to her favorite place near the water? What does Serena ask him to do? What does he do?
2. What does Brigham say when she tells him there is nothing she denies him? Explain why he feels that way?
3. Where are the family when Coll and Brigham return to Glenroe and no one is there? What do they do?
4. After burying their father, what does Serena and Malcolm do? Why?
5. How do they treat Brigham's wounds in the cave?
6. What does Malcolm admit he is upset about when he talks with Brigham? How does Brigham react to what Malcolm tells him? What does Brigham tell Malcolm?
7. What does Brigham wonder about the men and their understanding about the battles they win?
8. What bothers Brigham about the English officer named Standish? Why does he join the game where Standish is playing a game of dice? What does Brigham do, and why?
9. What surprise does Brigham have when he comes to in the cave?
10. In Chapter Nine, when Brigham finds Serena at her favorite place near the water, what is she doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 2
What is it about the Scots that make them so different from the English? Is it just their language, customs or beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the purpose of a duel; What are the rules of a duel? Why does Brigham have to set up Standish under false pretenses of a game of dice in order to fight the duel?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)