|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Seeing the battle is lost, what do Brigham and Coll finally decide to do?
2. In Chapter Eleven, what is happening between Parsins and Mrs. Drummond?
3. What does Fiona tell Serena to do when she refuses to leave Brigham's side?
4. What do Coll and Malcolm see from the ridge that overlooked Glenroe?
5. What is Serena trying to tell Brigham when he asks her to go to America with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Malcolm admit he is upset about when he talks with Brigham? How does Brigham react to what Malcolm tells him? What does Brigham tell Malcolm?
2. How do they treat Brigham's wounds in the cave?
3. What does Brigham say when she tells him there is nothing she denies him? Explain why he feels that way?
4. What happens when five dragoons find Serena and the rest hiding in the cave?
5. What is Serena struggling with during the three weeks in Holyrood House?
6. What surprise does Brigham have when he comes to in the cave?
7. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
8. What does Brigham learn from the earl of Whitesmouth?
9. What does Brigham reply when Serena asks why he fights Standish? Explain what he means.
10. What happens in the fight just south of Stirling regarding the battle and the personal toll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the purpose of a duel; What are the rules of a duel? Why does Brigham have to set up Standish under false pretenses of a game of dice in order to fight the duel?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what influences the strength of the Scottish Highlanders as they go to war. Give examples of how this is demonstrated in the story.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)