|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the next stumbling block to Serena and Brigham getting married?
2. After Serena goes to Brigham's room, what does Brigham say to assure Serena of his feelings for her?
3. What teasing warning does Serena give Brigham about ever having a mistress?
4. Why does Serena apologize to Parkins?
5. What does Serena say to Brigham when he continues to insist she marries him, whether she agrees or not?
Short Essay Questions
1. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
2. What happens when five dragoons find Serena and the rest hiding in the cave?
3. What does Malcolm admit he is upset about when he talks with Brigham? How does Brigham react to what Malcolm tells him? What does Brigham tell Malcolm?
4. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
5. What does Brigham wonder about the men and their understanding about the battles they win?
6. What surprise does Brigham have when he comes to in the cave?
7. In Chapter Nine, when Brigham finds Serena at her favorite place near the water, what is she doing?
8. Where are the family when Coll and Brigham return to Glenroe and no one is there? What do they do?
9. What does Brigham reply when Serena asks why he fights Standish? Explain what he means.
10. What happens to Brigham and Coll as the battle at Drumossie Moor is lost to the Highlanders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the purpose of a duel; What are the rules of a duel? Why does Brigham have to set up Standish under false pretenses of a game of dice in order to fight the duel?
Essay Topic 2
What else do we learn about Serena from her experiences in the cave? She is pregnant and has a husband who is recovering from a near death experience, yet when there is danger, she doesn't hesitate to do what has to be done to protect those she loves.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what is going through Serena's mind when she thinks Brigham wants her for a mistress. Give examples of her conflicting thoughts that create her indecision.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)