|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Their are 3,000 men when they capture what city after a short battle?
2. What does Brigham think about as his men moving back toward Inverness?
3. Back at Glenroe, what do Serena and Malcolm do when they learn the English are getting closer?
4. Where does Brigham go before leaving London?
5. Who dies in the battle at Stirling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brigham reply when Serena asks why he fights Standish? Explain what he means.
2. How does the author handle the crossover between what is happening in Glenroe at the same time as the battle near Culloden House? How do each progress?
3. What bothers Brigham about the English officer named Standish? Why does he join the game where Standish is playing a game of dice? What does Brigham do, and why?
4. What does Brigham say when she tells him there is nothing she denies him? Explain why he feels that way?
5. What does Malcolm admit he is upset about when he talks with Brigham? How does Brigham react to what Malcolm tells him? What does Brigham tell Malcolm?
6. What does Brigham wonder about the men and their understanding about the battles they win?
7. What happens in the fight just south of Stirling regarding the battle and the personal toll?
8. After he returns to London, how does Brigham how does he feel about home? What else does he realize?
9. After burying their father, what does Serena and Malcolm do? Why?
10. What happens when the Scots reach Edinburgh? What does Brigham and Coll say about what is happening after they took the city?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give examples of how Commander O'Sullivan and Commander Murray differ in their war tactics and what results in the situations where they disagreed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the politics involved in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales that sets the climate for the war in 1745.
Essay Topic 3
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)