|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Brigham want the duel the Colonel?
2. Why does Brigham remember the name Colonel Standish?
3. What do Coll and Malcolm see from the ridge that overlooked Glenroe?
4. What does Serena confess to her mother about her relationship with Brigham?
5. After nearly three weeks of rest, what are Coll and Brigham thinking?
Short Essay Questions
1. After he returns to London, how does Brigham how does he feel about home? What else does he realize?
2. Why does Brigham go to the men's club that evening, even though he is warned to leave? Doesn't he care that he is in danger?
3. In Chapter Nine, why does Brigham follow Serena to her favorite place near the water? What does Serena ask him to do? What does he do?
4. What happens as the group of Highlanders move eastward? Explain why this happens?
5. Why is Serena so upset when Brigham finds her near the water?
6. What happens in the fight just south of Stirling regarding the battle and the personal toll?
7. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
8. After burying their father, what does Serena and Malcolm do? Why?
9. How many men are there when the standard is raised at Glenfinnan? Is that a sufficient number to go to war? If not, why do they proceed?
10. What does Brigham say when she tells him there is nothing she denies him? Explain why he feels that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the Scots that make them so different from the English? Is it just their language, customs or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
Essay Topic 3
What concerns Brigham as he looks at the battlefield at Drumossie Moor? What military strategy does he recommend? Why? What is the result?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)