|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Earl of Whitesmouth visit Brigham at his home?
2. What happens when Serena realizes he wants her to marry him, not be his mistress?
3. What is wrong with Maggie's baby?
4. What does Brigham tell Malcolm when the boy is unhappy because he cannot go to war with the men?
5. Who dies in the battle at Stirling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do they treat Brigham's wounds in the cave?
2. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
3. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
4. What bothers Brigham about the English officer named Standish? Why does he join the game where Standish is playing a game of dice? What does Brigham do, and why?
5. After burying their father, what does Serena and Malcolm do? Why?
6. Why is Serena so upset when Brigham finds her near the water?
7. What happens when the Scots reach Edinburgh? What does Brigham and Coll say about what is happening after they took the city?
8. What does Malcolm admit he is upset about when he talks with Brigham? How does Brigham react to what Malcolm tells him? What does Brigham tell Malcolm?
9. What happens when five dragoons find Serena and the rest hiding in the cave?
10. What does Brigham say when she tells him there is nothing she denies him? Explain why he feels that way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Give examples of how Commander O'Sullivan and Commander Murray differ in their war tactics and what results in the situations where they disagreed.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Molly's intentions when she falls off the ladder, and the results. Explain Serena's intentions when she falls carrying milk to the house, and the results. What is different about the two situations?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)