|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After learning about the duel, what does Serena tell Brigham when she goes to his room?
2. How bad does Gwen say Brigham's wound is?
3. In the final pages of Chapter Thirteen, after the battle when some of the men want to go after the English army, what does Brigham say?
4. What does Serena do when Brigham regains consciousness?
5. What teasing warning does Serena give Brigham about ever having a mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the group of Highlanders move eastward? Explain why this happens?
2. What does Brigham think is wrong with the battleground at Drumossie Moor?
3. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
4. What happens when the Scots reach Edinburgh? What does Brigham and Coll say about what is happening after they took the city?
5. What happens to Brigham and Coll as the battle at Drumossie Moor is lost to the Highlanders?
6. What does Brigham reply when Serena asks why he fights Standish? Explain what he means.
7. Why does Brigham go to the men's club that evening, even though he is warned to leave? Doesn't he care that he is in danger?
8. What does Brigham learn from the earl of Whitesmouth?
9. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
10. In Chapter Nine, when Brigham finds Serena at her favorite place near the water, what is she doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
Essay Topic 3
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)