|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Malcolm MacGregor?
2. What does Brigham feel about the people who are their hosts along the trail?
3. In the morning at the beginning of Chapter Three, what is Brigham thinking about his valet?
4. What does Brigham do to Serena that he feels the need to apologize for?
5. How does Brigham reply when Coll seems impatient for the war to begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Coll's reaction when Maggie MacDonald arrives at Glenroe for a visit with her friends?
2. Why doesn't Serena like Brigham in spite of the fact that he got her brother to safety after being wounded?
3. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
4. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
5. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
6. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
7. After Brigham mentions his upcoming trip to London, what happens to Serena's mood? Why? What affect does her mood have on Brigham?
8. When are bagpipes most often used?
9. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
10. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Brigham, a titled, wealthy and respected citizen of England, sides with the Scots in a war that gains him nothing. What about his heritage is part of his decision? What about his personal code is part of the decision?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What concerns Brigham as he looks at the battlefield at Drumossie Moor? What military strategy does he recommend? Why? What is the result?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)