|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brigham suddenly realize after Serena admits she wishes she goes with him and her father?
2. In Chapter Two, what does Fiona order Serena to do?
3. Why is Brigham upset with Parkins again?
4. How does Serena reply when Brigham chastises her about the way she treats him since he arrives?
5. Why is there blood on Serena's dress in Chapter Five?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Serena about Brigham's kisses?
2. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
3. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
4. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
5. Why does Brigham remind his groom, Jem, to remember Malcolm is young and impressionable?
6. What is Serena thinking about as she churns butter hard enough to turn it rancid?
7. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
8. After Brigham mentions his upcoming trip to London, what happens to Serena's mood? Why? What affect does her mood have on Brigham?
9. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
10. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give examples of how Commander O'Sullivan and Commander Murray differ in their war tactics and what results in the situations where they disagreed.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the purpose of a duel; What are the rules of a duel? Why does Brigham have to set up Standish under false pretenses of a game of dice in order to fight the duel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what influences the strength of the Scottish Highlanders as they go to war. Give examples of how this is demonstrated in the story.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)