|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Serena reading as she sits with Coll?
2. Why does Brigham give Serena his handkerchief?
3. What does Brigham think when he sees Serena with blood on her dress?
4. Why does Serena say she wishes she were a man?
5. How does Brigham reply when Fiona asks if she should leave or stay while he eats breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Serena like Brigham in spite of the fact that he got her brother to safety after being wounded?
2. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
3. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
4. When are bagpipes most often used?
5. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
6. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
7. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
8. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
9. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
10. What is Brigham's dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Brigham, a titled, wealthy and respected citizen of England, sides with the Scots in a war that gains him nothing. What about his heritage is part of his decision? What about his personal code is part of the decision?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Molly's intentions when she falls off the ladder, and the results. Explain Serena's intentions when she falls carrying milk to the house, and the results. What is different about the two situations?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)