|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons Brigham downstairs on his first evening in Glenroe?
2. Who shows up while Serena is resting from her ride in Chapter Four?
3. What does Ian plan to disguise the meeting of the clans?
4. What book is Serena reading as she sits with Coll?
5. Who tries to pacify Coll saying they take him for a walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
2. What happens when the Scots reach Edinburgh? What does Brigham and Coll say about what is happening after they took the city?
3. What happens to Prince Charles with the war is lost?
4. How many men are there when the standard is raised at Glenfinnan? Is that a sufficient number to go to war? If not, why do they proceed?
5. Where do Serena and Brigham go from Skye and who goes with them?
6. How does Brigham get along with Ian MacGregor, Serena and Coll's father?
7. What does Brigham learn from the earl of Whitesmouth?
8. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
9. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
10. What does Brigham wonder about the men and their understanding about the battles they win?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the custom of having a ball when young women reach a certain age. Are there any unusual circumstances that need to be overcome in having the ball at the MacGregor home? Why is the ball a perfect guise to cover the meeting to make more plans for war?
Essay Topic 2
What changes after the Scots take Edinburgh? Does this influence the outcome of the war? How?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the ending of this story actually a beginning? What feelings do Serena and Brigham express as they prepare to leave. What hopes do they take with them?
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)