|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the opening of Chapter Five, what is Coll complaining about?
2. Where does Fiona suggest Brigham have his breakfast?
3. Who are the Jacobites?
4. As he brushes the horses, what does Malcolm tell Brigham to do?
5. What happens to Coll when he and Brigham fight off their attackers in Chapter One?
Short Essay Questions
1. When are bagpipes most often used?
2. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
3. After Brigham mentions his upcoming trip to London, what happens to Serena's mood? Why? What affect does her mood have on Brigham?
4. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
5. What happens when Brigham sees how Serena looks at the ball?
6. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
7. What is Serena thinking about as she churns butter hard enough to turn it rancid?
8. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
9. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
10. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the ending of this story actually a beginning? What feelings do Serena and Brigham express as they prepare to leave. What hopes do they take with them?
Essay Topic 2
What else do we learn about Serena from her experiences in the cave? She is pregnant and has a husband who is recovering from a near death experience, yet when there is danger, she doesn't hesitate to do what has to be done to protect those she loves.
Essay Topic 3
What role is France playing in Prince Charles's plans to reclaim the English throne? How important is their role?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)