|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Serena's special place to go when she is troubled?
2. Why does Brighan's driver, Jem, look in on Malcolm's horse?
3. Over Brighan's breakfast, who does Fiona say asks to see him?
4. How does Brigham reply to Coll's complaints in Chapter Five?
5. What book is Serena reading as she sits with Coll?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Serena about Brigham's kisses?
2. How does Maggie tease Serena when she does nothing but deny any interest in Brigham?
3. What happens when Brigham sees how Serena looks at the ball?
4. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
5. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
6. After Brigham mentions his upcoming trip to London, what happens to Serena's mood? Why? What affect does her mood have on Brigham?
7. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
8. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
9. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
10. When are bagpipes most often used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Serena consider herself different in her ways? What is wrong with the way she acts? If she is wrong, what is the expected way for a young woman to act?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what influences the strength of the Scottish Highlanders as they go to war. Give examples of how this is demonstrated in the story.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)