|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Coll when he and Brigham fight off their attackers in Chapter One?
2. At the very end of Chapter Eight, what does Brigham promise Serena after telling her he goes back to London in two days?
3. Why does Serena say she wishes she were a man?
4. How does Brigham reply when Coll seems impatient for the war to begin?
5. What does Maggie say when Coll finally asks her to marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
2. What does Fiona tell Serena about meeting her father that surprises Serena?
3. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
4. What happens when Brigham sees how Serena looks at the ball?
5. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
6. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
7. As Serena tends to Brigham's wound, what does she discover?
8. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
9. How does Maggie tease Serena when she does nothing but deny any interest in Brigham?
10. What surprises Serena about Brigham's kisses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the custom of having a ball when young women reach a certain age. Are there any unusual circumstances that need to be overcome in having the ball at the MacGregor home? Why is the ball a perfect guise to cover the meeting to make more plans for war?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)