|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serena say about English blood?
2. Why does Serena say she wishes she were a man?
3. What happens when Serena tries a similar trick on Brigham and pretends to slip while carrying milk to the house?
4. What does Serena do when her mother is slapped by a Dragoon?
5. In Chapter Six, why is Fiona more concerned about Serena than her other children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
2. Why doesn't Serena like Brigham in spite of the fact that he got her brother to safety after being wounded?
3. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
4. What is Serena thinking about as she churns butter hard enough to turn it rancid?
5. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
6. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
7. How does Maggie tease Serena when she does nothing but deny any interest in Brigham?
8. What happens when Brigham sees how Serena looks at the ball?
9. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
10. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the custom of having a ball when young women reach a certain age. Are there any unusual circumstances that need to be overcome in having the ball at the MacGregor home? Why is the ball a perfect guise to cover the meeting to make more plans for war?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Molly's intentions when she falls off the ladder, and the results. Explain Serena's intentions when she falls carrying milk to the house, and the results. What is different about the two situations?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the politics involved in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales that sets the climate for the war in 1745.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)