|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book is Serena reading as she sits with Coll?
2. In the morning at the beginning of Chapter Three, what is Brigham thinking about his valet?
3. What secret wish does Serena have that means she has to go to confession?
4. Who sends the letter to Brigham that Coll is so anxious to read?
5. What happens when Brigham sees Serena holding hands with another man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
2. How does Brigham get along with Ian MacGregor, Serena and Coll's father?
3. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
4. What happens when Brigham sees Serena dancing with the other men?
5. Why does Brigham remind his groom, Jem, to remember Malcolm is young and impressionable?
6. Why doesn't Serena like Brigham in spite of the fact that he got her brother to safety after being wounded?
7. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
8. What is Brigham's dream?
9. What does Fiona tell Serena about meeting her father that surprises Serena?
10. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Give examples of how Commander O'Sullivan and Commander Murray differ in their war tactics and what results in the situations where they disagreed.
Essay Topic 3
What changes after the Scots take Edinburgh? Does this influence the outcome of the war? How?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)