Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coll do when Ian tells them he invites Maggie MacDonald to visit?
2. What does Maggie do to trick Coll into noticing her?
3. As he brushes the horses, what does Malcolm tell Brigham to do?
4. How old is Coll MacGregor when he is permitted to go hunting with his father?
5. Who are the Jacobites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Serena struggling with during the three weeks in Holyrood House?
2. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
3. What happens soon after they arrive at Skye?
4. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
5. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
6. Why does Brigham go to the men's club that evening, even though he is warned to leave? Doesn't he care that he is in danger?
7. What does Serena admit to her mother she is upset about marrying Brigham? What does Fiona tell Serena after realizing her daughter is so distressed over whether she marries Brigham or not?
8. What happens when Brigham sees Serena dancing with the other men?
9. In Chapter Nine, why does Brigham follow Serena to her favorite place near the water? What does Serena ask him to do? What does he do?
10. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
Essay Topic 1
What changes after the Scots take Edinburgh? Does this influence the outcome of the war? How?
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what influences the strength of the Scottish Highlanders as they go to war. Give examples of how this is demonstrated in the story.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)