|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coll do when Ian tells them he invites Maggie MacDonald to visit?
2. What does Maggie do to trick Coll into noticing her?
3. As he brushes the horses, what does Malcolm tell Brigham to do?
4. How old is Coll MacGregor when he is permitted to go hunting with his father?
5. Who are the Jacobites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Serena struggling with during the three weeks in Holyrood House?
2. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
3. What happens soon after they arrive at Skye?
4. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
5. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
6. Why does Brigham go to the men's club that evening, even though he is warned to leave? Doesn't he care that he is in danger?
7. What does Serena admit to her mother she is upset about marrying Brigham? What does Fiona tell Serena after realizing her daughter is so distressed over whether she marries Brigham or not?
8. What happens when Brigham sees Serena dancing with the other men?
9. In Chapter Nine, why does Brigham follow Serena to her favorite place near the water? What does Serena ask him to do? What does he do?
10. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
Essay Topic 1
What is it about the Scots that make them so different from the English? Is it just their language, customs or beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
What else do we learn about Serena from her experiences in the cave? She is pregnant and has a husband who is recovering from a near death experience, yet when there is danger, she doesn't hesitate to do what has to be done to protect those she loves.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the custom of having a ball when young women reach a certain age. Are there any unusual circumstances that need to be overcome in having the ball at the MacGregor home? Why is the ball a perfect guise to cover the meeting to make more plans for war?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)