|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maggie do to trick Coll into noticing her?
2. As he brushes the horses, what does Malcolm tell Brigham to do?
3. Who arrives in Brigham's carriage?
4. In Chapter Four why does Mrs. Drummond make certain Fiona doesn't hear what she is saying to Serena?
5. At the very end of Chapter Eight, what does Brigham promise Serena after telling her he goes back to London in two days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
2. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
3. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
4. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
5. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
6. What does Fiona tell Serena about meeting her father that surprises Serena?
7. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
8. How does Brigham get along with Ian MacGregor, Serena and Coll's father?
9. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
10. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the custom of having a ball when young women reach a certain age. Are there any unusual circumstances that need to be overcome in having the ball at the MacGregor home? Why is the ball a perfect guise to cover the meeting to make more plans for war?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about Brigham that he so easily builds a trusting relationship with young Malcolm?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)