|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiona tell her children to do when the English Dragoons arrive?
2. In Chapter Six, why is Fiona more concerned about Serena than her other children?
3. What does Maggie do to trick Coll into noticing her?
4. What does Maggie say when Coll finally asks her to marry him?
5. What does Serena think about while she rests from her ride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fiona tell Serena to take the younger children and hide in the nursery?
2. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
3. What is Brigham's dream?
4. After Brigham mentions his upcoming trip to London, what happens to Serena's mood? Why? What affect does her mood have on Brigham?
5. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
6. As Serena tends to Brigham's wound, what does she discover?
7. What is Serena thinking about as she churns butter hard enough to turn it rancid?
8. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
9. What happens when Brigham orders Parkins to stay behind while he goes with Ian to meet with the Highland clans?
10. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Serena consider herself different in her ways? What is wrong with the way she acts? If she is wrong, what is the expected way for a young woman to act?
Essay Topic 2
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 3
What precautions does Brigham take to insure the war plans are kept secret? Why is it necessary to take these precautions?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)