|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serena do when her mother is slapped by a Dragoon?
2. Who do Ian and Brigham have to be careful of if they plan another meeting of the clans?
3. What does Brigham think about Serena while she tends his wound?
4. How does Serena reply when Brigham chastises her about the way she treats him since he arrives?
5. What does Brigham feel about the people who are their hosts along the trail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
2. What misunderstanding does Brigham realize Serena has after they make love?
3. What is Coll's reaction when Maggie MacDonald arrives at Glenroe for a visit with her friends?
4. What happens as the group of Highlanders move eastward? Explain why this happens?
5. Where does the family go now that the cave is no longer safe?
6. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
7. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
8. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
9. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
10. After he returns to London, how does Brigham how does he feel about home? What else does he realize?
Essay Topic 1
What else do we learn about Serena from her experiences in the cave? She is pregnant and has a husband who is recovering from a near death experience, yet when there is danger, she doesn't hesitate to do what has to be done to protect those she loves.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the ending of this story actually a beginning? What feelings do Serena and Brigham express as they prepare to leave. What hopes do they take with them?
This section contains 1,251 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)