|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Serena think about while she rests from her ride?
2. What does Brigham think when he sees Serena with blood on her dress?
3. How old is Coll MacGregor when he is permitted to go hunting with his father?
4. What does Serena wear when she sneaks out of the house to go for a ride on her horse?
5. In Chapter Two, what does Fiona order Serena to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
2. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
3. What is Coll's reaction when Maggie MacDonald arrives at Glenroe for a visit with her friends?
4. As Serena tends to Brigham's wound, what does she discover?
5. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
6. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
7. Why does Brigham remind his groom, Jem, to remember Malcolm is young and impressionable?
8. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
9. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
10. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what is going through Serena's mind when she thinks Brigham wants her for a mistress. Give examples of her conflicting thoughts that create her indecision.
Essay Topic 2
There are several examples of loyalty in the story. Give examples of these and explain how they impact on the plot of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the politics involved in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales that sets the climate for the war in 1745.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)