|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Serena say she wishes she were a man?
2. What does Maggie do to trick Coll into noticing her?
3. Who sends the letter to Brigham that Coll is so anxious to read?
4. Who does Brigham ask to dance the first dance?
5. What treasured item does Brigham pack to take with him on his trip to Scotland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Serena is by the water daydreaming about Brigham in Chapter Five?
2. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
3. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
4. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
5. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
6. When are bagpipes most often used?
7. How does Maggie tease Serena when she does nothing but deny any interest in Brigham?
8. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
9. What happens when Brigham sees Serena dancing with the other men?
10. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Serena consider herself different in her ways? What is wrong with the way she acts? If she is wrong, what is the expected way for a young woman to act?
Essay Topic 2
So much of the novel is based on Serena's dislike and distrust of anyone English. Explain why she has such difficulty getting beyond this in her relationship with Brigham.
Essay Topic 3
What else do we learn about Serena from her experiences in the cave? She is pregnant and has a husband who is recovering from a near death experience, yet when there is danger, she doesn't hesitate to do what has to be done to protect those she loves.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)