|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Serena MacGregor?
2. At the beginning of Chapter Eight, what does Maggie say Coll has asks her to do?
3. What happens when Brigham sees Serena holding hands with another man?
4. What is Serena's special place to go when she is troubled?
5. In the morning at the beginning of Chapter Three, what is Brigham thinking about his valet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
2. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
3. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
4. What happens when Brigham sees Serena dancing with the other men?
5. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
6. When are bagpipes most often used?
7. What is Brigham's dream?
8. Why is Brigham disturbed by the way Serena treats him in Chapter Two?
9. How does Brigham get along with Ian MacGregor, Serena and Coll's father?
10. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the purpose of a duel; What are the rules of a duel? Why does Brigham have to set up Standish under false pretenses of a game of dice in order to fight the duel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the politics involved in England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales that sets the climate for the war in 1745.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the interplay between Serena and Brigham when she finds out about the duel and goes to his bedroom to tell him she will marry him. Why is she suddenly so sure she wants to marry him? Is it because he kills Standish? Why is Brigham bothered by the fact that she only agrees to be his wife after learning about the duel?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)