|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Serena reply when Brigham chastises her about the way she treats him since he arrives?
(a) She isn't going to stop.
(b) He doesn't speak to her that way.
(c) She is giving him what he deserves.
(d) There is worse to come.
2. Why is there blood on Serena's dress in Chapter Five?
(a) Because she hurts herself.
(b) Because she is butchering.
(c) Because she is hurt.
(d) Because she helps with the birth of a foal.
3. What does Brigham think when he sees Serena with blood on her dress?
(a) That she hurts herself.
(b) That she is butchering a hog.
(c) That she kills someone.
(d) That she is attacked by a man.
4. What happens to Serena when Brigham finally kisses her in Chapter Four?
(a) She starts to cry.
(b) She struggles to be free.
(c) She kicks him again.
(d) She responds to his kiss.
5. What does Coll do when Ian tells them he invites Maggie MacDonald to visit?
(a) He groans saying Maggie is a nuisance.
(b) He laughs and says he's looking forward to seeing her again.
(c) He gets angry and says he must go away.
(d) He cries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Brigham hoping happens while he is away from Serena?
2. At the very end of Chapter Eight, what does Brigham promise Serena after telling her he goes back to London in two days?
3. How does Fiona explain how she know when she is in love?
4. Why does Brigham give Serena his handkerchief?
5. In Chapter Four why does Mrs. Drummond make certain Fiona doesn't hear what she is saying to Serena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Brigham's dream?
2. Why does Brigham remind his groom, Jem, to remember Malcolm is young and impressionable?
3. Why does Brigham threaten to throw Serena into the water?
4. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
5. What happens when Brigham sees Serena leaving the barn with blood all over her skirt?
6. What does Brigham realize after getting over the shock of seeing Serena with blood all over her skirt?
7. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
8. Why does Serena like riding her horse while wearing breeches?
9. What surprises Brigham about Serena when he realizes she is reading Macbeth?
10. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)