|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Coll do when Ian tells them he invites Maggie MacDonald to visit?
(a) He gets angry and says he must go away.
(b) He laughs and says he's looking forward to seeing her again.
(c) He groans saying Maggie is a nuisance.
(d) He cries.
2. How does Brigham reply when Fiona asks if she should leave or stay while he eats breakfast?
(a) That he wants Serena to join him.
(b) That he likes to eat with everyone next time.
(c) That he perfers the company of a beautiful woman.
(d) That he doesn't like eating alone.
3. Who do Ian and Brigham have to be careful of if they plan another meeting of the clans?
(a) The Wigs.
(b) The Black Watch.
(c) The Jacobites.
(d) The Campbells.
4. What happens to the MacGregor's in 1735?
(a) Malcolm MacGregor is born.
(b) The MacGregor's move to Glenroe.
(c) English Dragoons pillage their village.
(d) The Scottish start their war against England.
5. What does Ian plan to disguise the meeting of the clans?
(a) A birthday party because he's turning fifty.
(b) A ball because both Maggie and Serena are of marrying age.
(c) A wedding and he invites all the friendly clans.
(d) A picnic with a boar roast.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Four why does Mrs. Drummond make certain Fiona doesn't hear what she is saying to Serena?
2. Who does Brigham ask to dance the first dance?
3. Who summons Brigham downstairs on his first evening in Glenroe?
4. Why does Brigham give Serena his handkerchief?
5. What Gaelic term does Serena call Brigham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is unusual about Serena's behavior as she sits in front of the fire with her mother brushing her hair?
2. What is Coll's reaction when Maggie MacDonald arrives at Glenroe for a visit with her friends?
3. As Serena tends to Brigham's wound, what does she discover?
4. Why does the Captain beat and rape Fiona?
5. When Brigham says he wants Serena in Chapter Seven, what does she assume he means?
6. What does Fiona tell Serena about meeting her father that surprises Serena?
7. What does Brigham risk as he helps the Scottish Highland clans prepare for war against England?
8. How does Serena get Coll to eat while he is complaining about the food in Chapter Three?
9. What happens when Brigham sees how Serena looks at the ball?
10. What is Serena thinking about as she churns butter hard enough to turn it rancid?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)