|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town blacksmith?
2. Who retrieves a black disc from the ceiling?
3. Who does Death send away at the end of the book?
4. Who acts carelessly during a fight at the university and sends off a fireball?
5. What animal works as the university librarian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Death's meeting with the Auditors atop a mountain described?
2. What does Miss Flitworth do when Death reveals she is dead?
3. How is Mrs. Cake's séance with One-Man-Bucket described?
4. How is the inside of the pyramid described when Windle Poons and the others first enter it?
5. How is the combination harvester first described?
6. How does Archchancellor Ridcully defeat a living compost heap in the book?
7. What does Mrs. Cake tell Windle Poons about the imbalance of life force between the present world and the astral?
8. How does Bill Door feel about the person who replaced him as the persona of Death?
9. What does Windle Poons say he has learned about himself after dying at the end of the book?
10. What happens after Arthur removes a black disc from the ceiling of the pyramid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Humanity is a theme examined throughout the book, especially when compared to the lives of wizards and other paranormal beings. Part 1.) How is humanity put to test in the novel from the invasion of the city eggs? Part 2.) How is Windle Poons' opinion of humanity changed after he becomes undead? Part 3.) What lessons does Death learn about humanity while living as Bill Door?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of hope in the book. How does Windle Poons' experience with undeath increase his perceptions of hope in regards to his feelings about his life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)