|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following things does Bill Door NOT use to sharpen his weapon on?
2. What kind of weapon does Bill Door use in the book?
3. What does Bill Door tell Miss Flitworth the gray-robed figures that appear around them are?
4. Who glories in using his magic to destroy trolleys, but is unsuccessful?
5. What does Bill Door tell Miss Flitworth that borrowed time is when he tells her he is also living on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Bill Door's request for Ned Simnel to destroy his scythe?
2. How are city eggs first described?
3. What is in Miss Flitworth's three chests she keeps on her dresser?
4. What does Windle Poons say he has learned about himself after dying at the end of the book?
5. What is the nature of the leaflets Windle Poons finds coming from the top of the pyramid?
6. How is Death's meeting with the Auditors atop a mountain described?
7. How does Bill Door become Death once again?
8. What does Windle Poons decide about what it means for a city to be alive?
9. What does Bill Door reveal to Miss Flitworth when she tells him her first name?
10. What happens after Arthur removes a black disc from the ceiling of the pyramid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the wizards' attempts at solving the pyramid crisis with Windle and his groups'. How has Windle's point of view and ability to problem solve change after becoming undead in comparison to his former wizard friends, and what factors can be credited for this change?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of money in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of money based on Miss Flitworth's vast and wasted fortune seen at the end of the book?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)