|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who appears to Death after he sends a friend away at the end of the book?
2. Who remembers when this all will be again at the end of the book?
3. Where does Death visit to find a gemstone to give to Miss Flitworth?
4. What is the small piece of Death that escapes and survives?
5. Who does Windle Poons ask Mrs. Cake to allow to come with him on an investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Door reveal to Miss Flitworth when she tells him her first name?
2. How is Mrs. Cake's séance with One-Man-Bucket described?
3. How does Death retrieve the Fear of Offer diamond?
4. How does Bill Door become Death once again?
5. What is the nature of Bill Door's request for Ned Simnel to destroy his scythe?
6. What does Miss Flitworth do when Death reveals she is dead?
7. What is in Miss Flitworth's three chests she keeps on her dresser?
8. How are city eggs first described?
9. What happens after Arthur removes a black disc from the ceiling of the pyramid?
10. Why can't Bill Door pick up his scythe when he becomes a ghost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of money in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of money based on Miss Flitworth's vast and wasted fortune seen at the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of dreams in the book. How does the author use Bill Door's dream about his death to foreshadow and carry the story along, and what purpose might he have for doing this?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)