|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chests does Miss Flitworth have sitting on her dresser?
2. What does the Archchancellor claim he believes the compost heap to be made of?
3. Who appears to Death after he sends a friend away at the end of the book?
4. What stage does One-Man-Bucket say the eggs are in when they create more cities?
5. What does Bill Door tell Miss Flitworth the gray-robed figures that appear around them are?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Windle Poons ask of Mrs. Cake before wandering off in the book?
2. Why can't Bill Door pick up his scythe when he becomes a ghost?
3. What does Bill Door reveal to Miss Flitworth when she tells him her first name?
4. How does Windle Poons break into the library of the Unseen University?
5. How does Bill Door become Death once again?
6. How does Miss Flitworth learn that Bill Door is really Death?
7. How is the inside of the pyramid described when Windle Poons and the others first enter it?
8. How do the wizards react when the trolleys begin increasing in number?
9. What does Miss Flitworth do when Death reveals she is dead?
10. What does Windle Poons decide about what it means for a city to be alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Windle Poons as a wizard to what he becomes when he is undead. How is Windle Poons able to grow more emotionally and find more fulfillment through his undeath and what might the author be saying about the importance of living a full life through his character?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the persona of Bill Door that is portrayed in the book. Part 1.) What does Death becoming Bill Door allow him to learn about the nature of the world that he wasn't able to grasp as the persona of Death? Part 2.) How did this persona allow him to grow as a person?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)