|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of music begins playing from inside the pyramid?
2. Who predicts Windle Poons' death in a letter given to him near the end of the book?
3. What do the predators attacking the city begin to absorb from it?
4. Where does Death visit to find a gemstone to give to Miss Flitworth?
5. Who does Bill Door hire to destroy his scythe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Door tell Miss Flitworth about the nature of borrowed time?
2. What favor does Windle Poons ask of Mrs. Cake before wandering off in the book?
3. What instructions does Bill Door make after rescuing the little girl from a fire?
4. What does Bill Door reveal to Miss Flitworth when she tells him her first name?
5. How do the wizards react when the trolleys begin increasing in number?
6. What does Windle Poons decide about what it means for a city to be alive?
7. What is the nature of the leaflets Windle Poons finds coming from the top of the pyramid?
8. How does Schleppel help people escape the pink tubing in the book?
9. How is Death's meeting with the Auditors atop a mountain described?
10. How does Windle Poons break into the library of the Unseen University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Windle Poons as a wizard to what he becomes when he is undead. How is Windle Poons able to grow more emotionally and find more fulfillment through his undeath and what might the author be saying about the importance of living a full life through his character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of dreams in the book. How does the author use Bill Door's dream about his death to foreshadow and carry the story along, and what purpose might he have for doing this?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)