|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interrupts the wizards' discussions of how to fight the ghosts at the Unseen University?
2. Who wonders how something in the pyramid is alive if it is so rectangular?
3. How many devastating spells does the Dean announce he will use to destroy the hive?
4. What is Bill Door and Miss Flitworth's discussion of ethics interrupted by?
5. What does Modo realize has begun to move on its own, and later attacks him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Windle Poons ask of Mrs. Cake before wandering off in the book?
2. What happens after Arthur removes a black disc from the ceiling of the pyramid?
3. How does Archchancellor Ridcully defeat a living compost heap in the book?
4. How is the inside of the pyramid described when Windle Poons and the others first enter it?
5. How does Windle Poons break into the library of the Unseen University?
6. What does Mrs. Cake tell Windle Poons about the imbalance of life force between the present world and the astral?
7. How does Bill Door become Death once again?
8. What does Bill Door tell Miss Flitworth about the nature of borrowed time?
9. How are city eggs first described?
10. What does Windle Poons decide about what it means for a city to be alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of sacrifice in the book. What impact does Miss Flitworth's sacrifice of her lifetimer sand have on Bill Door/Death's humanization in the book, and why is this act so significant to him?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of principles that is presented in the book. How does Death's principles define him even in his human form as Bill Door, and what does this suggest about the nature of his character?
Essay Topic 3
Death's incredible work ethic is shown throughout the book when he is both the persona of Death and Bill Door. Part 1.) How does Death's work ethic as Death compare to his work on Miss Flitworth's farm as a human? Part 2.) Why does Death feel a good work ethic is important? Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of Death based on his hard work ethic that is portrayed in the book?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)