|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill Door become when his lifetimer is empty?
2. Who begins racing the combination harvester the first time it is used?
3. What kind of music begins playing from inside the pyramid?
4. What does Miss Flitworth realize has changed about her looks after Death reveals she has died?
5. What does Miss Flitworth think about the fact that the public's ability to know when and where they are going to die isn't common knowledge?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Schleppel help people escape the pink tubing in the book?
2. Why can't Bill Door pick up his scythe when he becomes a ghost?
3. How does Bill Door race the combination harvester?
4. How is the inside of the pyramid described when Windle Poons and the others first enter it?
5. How does Bill Door feel about the person who replaced him as the persona of Death?
6. What is the nature of Bill Door's request for Ned Simnel to destroy his scythe?
7. What happens after Arthur removes a black disc from the ceiling of the pyramid?
8. What is in Miss Flitworth's three chests she keeps on her dresser?
9. How is Death and Miss Flitworth's dancing at the harvest dance described?
10. What does Windle Poons say he has learned about himself after dying at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of friendship in the book. What impact does the formation of friendship have on Windle Poons and Bill Door, and what might the author be saying about the importance of forming friendships based on the portrayal of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of class in the book. How does the author portray the undead characters in the book as a lesser class than humans, wizards and other characters and what deeper meaning might he wish for you to gain from this presentation?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the persona of Bill Door that is portrayed in the book. Part 1.) What does Death becoming Bill Door allow him to learn about the nature of the world that he wasn't able to grasp as the persona of Death? Part 2.) How did this persona allow him to grow as a person?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)