|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stays behind in the room and struggles against pink tubing so others can escape?
2. What does Bill Door reap for Miss Flitworth with his scythe?
3. Which of the following things does Bill Door NOT use to sharpen his weapon on?
4. Who sees the new incarnation of Death, along with Bill Door, for the first time?
5. Which of the following things does not happen after pink tubing begins erupting from the ceiling?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Windle Poons break into the library of the Unseen University?
2. How does Miss Flitworth learn that Bill Door is really Death?
3. How is the combination harvester first described?
4. What does Windle Poons say he has learned about himself after dying at the end of the book?
5. How does Bill Door feel about the person who replaced him as the persona of Death?
6. How is Mrs. Cake's séance with One-Man-Bucket described?
7. What does Windle Poons decide about what it means for a city to be alive?
8. Why can't Bill Door pick up his scythe when he becomes a ghost?
9. How is Death's meeting with the Auditors atop a mountain described?
10. What instructions does Bill Door make after rescuing the little girl from a fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the beginning of the book, the author presents an element of fantasy in the scenery and characters in the book. Part 1.) How do the book's characters create a tone of fantasy? Part 2.) What elements would have been impossible without the element of fantasy? Part 3.) How does the author take advantage of fantasy when using symbolic morals to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of hope in the book. How does Windle Poons' experience with undeath increase his perceptions of hope in regards to his feelings about his life?
Essay Topic 3
Death's incredible work ethic is shown throughout the book when he is both the persona of Death and Bill Door. Part 1.) How does Death's work ethic as Death compare to his work on Miss Flitworth's farm as a human? Part 2.) Why does Death feel a good work ethic is important? Part 3.) What is telling about the nature of Death based on his hard work ethic that is portrayed in the book?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)