|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the medium's daughter that is a werewolf?
2. What does the narrator explain is building up in the world in the absence of death?
3. What kind of pie does the wizard request before dying?
4. What is the name of the archchancellor in the book?
5. What is the name of the old woman who Death finds work with as a human?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the gardener, Modo, react when Windle Poons comes out of his grave?
2. What does the gray robes that the wizards conjure tell them about Death?
3. How does Bill Door use the scythe to cut Miss Fitworth's grass?
4. What does Windle Poons' spirit do after Death doesn't show up to collect him?
5. How are the wizards almost injured by a chandelier in the book?
6. What happens when one of the Auditors of Reality refers to himself as I at the beginning of the book?
7. How is Bill Door first accepted around town after moving there?
8. How do Windle's friends react after he comes back from the dead?
9. What does Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler tell Sergeant Colon is happening in his cellar?
10. How do the wizards try to attack Windle Poons after he comes back from the dead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of hope in the book. How does Windle Poons' experience with undeath increase his perceptions of hope in regards to his feelings about his life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the concept of principles that is presented in the book. How does Death's principles define him even in his human form as Bill Door, and what does this suggest about the nature of his character?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)