|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill Door complain is too noisy in Miss Flitworth's parlor?
2. Who gives Mrs. Cake the brush-off when she shows up at the university looking for help?
3. What does the medium break so that her spiritual friend can weaponize its spirit?
4. What does Bill Door try and amuse townsfolk with his poor skills in?
5. Who does Windle Poons run into on the bridge that he goes to just after becoming undead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the wizards bury Windle Poons at a crossroad?
2. How are the wizards almost injured by a chandelier in the book?
3. How is Windle Poons' first suicide attempt described?
4. What happens when Windle Poons realizes Schleppel followed him home after the Fresh Start Club meeting?
5. How does the narrator compare two experiences of life with mayflies and pine trees?
6. How do Windle's friends react after he comes back from the dead?
7. How is the Morris dance first described?
8. What happens when one of the Auditors of Reality refers to himself as I at the beginning of the book?
9. How does Death find a job after taking of the persona of Bill Door?
10. What does Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler tell Sergeant Colon is happening in his cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of death is the leading theme in the book's overall message to readers. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of how others perceive death based on the narrator's suggestion that is created by our feelings toward it? Part 2.) How does Death's escape into the world as Bill Door suggest flaws in our perceptions of the nature of death? Part 3.) How can it be argued that death is the central theme found in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of hope in the book. How does Windle Poons' experience with undeath increase his perceptions of hope in regards to his feelings about his life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the nature of the persona of Bill Door that is portrayed in the book. Part 1.) What does Death becoming Bill Door allow him to learn about the nature of the world that he wasn't able to grasp as the persona of Death? Part 2.) How did this persona allow him to grow as a person?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)