|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long do Bill Door and Miss Flitworth sit in silence when he visits her in her parlor?
2. What are the indistinct gray figures that discuss the incarnation of Death at the beginning of the book?
3. What is the name of the wife of the male vampire at the Fresh Start Club?
4. What does a small child tell Bill Door he looks like just after moving to Discworld?
5. Where do the wizards believe Windle Poons should be buried after he comes back undead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Windle Poons' death described in the book?
2. How does the gardener, Modo, react when Windle Poons comes out of his grave?
3. What happens when Mrs. Cake contacts One-Man-Bucket for the first time in the book?
4. How do the wizards try to attack Windle Poons after he comes back from the dead?
5. How does Senior Wrangler try and investigate the inanimate object appearing in Discworld?
6. How is Bill Door first accepted around town after moving there?
7. How does the narrator describe how the persona of Death was created?
8. How is Windle Poons' first suicide attempt described?
9. How do Windle's friends react after he comes back from the dead?
10. What does Bill Door do to Miss Flitworth's clock while visiting with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of reality in the book. How is the natural portrayal of reality skewed in the book and what factors lead to this alteration in reality?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the nature of the persona of Bill Door that is portrayed in the book. Part 1.) What does Death becoming Bill Door allow him to learn about the nature of the world that he wasn't able to grasp as the persona of Death? Part 2.) How did this persona allow him to grow as a person?
Essay Topic 3
The scythe creates the opportunity for much symbolism in the book. Part 1.) What role does the scythe play in the destruction of the new persona of Death and what might this symbolize about the nature of this new persona? Part 2.) How does Death's scythe support his need to work hard? Part 3.) How does the author use the image of the scythe to represent death throughout the book?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)