|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the archchancellor in the book?
2. What is the name of the male vampire at the Fresh Start Club?
3. What color do the figures in empty robes wear that report in Death's absence?
4. What do the wizards find an assortment of when they first arrive at the Patrician's palace?
5. What is the name of the wife of the male vampire at the Fresh Start Club?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bill Door first accepted around town after moving there?
2. How is Windle Poons' first Fresh Start Club meeting described?
3. How do the wizards try to attack Windle Poons after he comes back from the dead?
4. What happens when Windle Poons realizes Schleppel followed him home after the Fresh Start Club meeting?
5. How is the nature of Lupine's character first described in the book?
6. What does the narrator explain is the repercussion of the absence of death?
7. How does the narrator describe how the persona of Death was created?
8. How is Miss Flitwotrh's parlor described in the book?
9. What does the gray robes that the wizards conjure tell them about Death?
10. How does Bill Door react when Miss Flitworth tells him to save a little girl from a fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of death is the leading theme in the book's overall message to readers. Part 1.) What can we learn about the nature of how others perceive death based on the narrator's suggestion that is created by our feelings toward it? Part 2.) How does Death's escape into the world as Bill Door suggest flaws in our perceptions of the nature of death? Part 3.) How can it be argued that death is the central theme found in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of friendship in the book. What impact does the formation of friendship have on Windle Poons and Bill Door, and what might the author be saying about the importance of forming friendships based on the portrayal of these characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of dreams in the book. How does the author use Bill Door's dream about his death to foreshadow and carry the story along, and what purpose might he have for doing this?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)