|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Miss Flitworth's long lost fiancé?
2. How does the narrator describe the relationship between the Unseen University and the Patrician?
3. What does Bill Door think Miss Flitworth's parlor reminds him of?
4. What is the name of Death's loyal human assistant?
5. What does Bill Door have trouble grasping when trying to appear human?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator explain is the repercussion of the absence of death?
2. How is Windle Poons' first suicide attempt described?
3. How is the nature of Lupine's character first described in the book?
4. How is Windle Poons' first Fresh Start Club meeting described?
5. How does Bill Door react when Miss Flitworth tells him to save a little girl from a fire?
6. How does the narrator compare two experiences of life with mayflies and pine trees?
7. How is Windle Poons described after the wizards bury him in a coffin while undead?
8. What happens when Bill Door sees a gray figure with his shattered lifetimer in the barn during a dream?
9. How does the narrator describe how the persona of Death was created?
10. How does Senior Wrangler try and investigate the inanimate object appearing in Discworld?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of the persona of Bill Door that is portrayed in the book. Part 1.) What does Death becoming Bill Door allow him to learn about the nature of the world that he wasn't able to grasp as the persona of Death? Part 2.) How did this persona allow him to grow as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Humanity is a theme examined throughout the book, especially when compared to the lives of wizards and other paranormal beings. Part 1.) How is humanity put to test in the novel from the invasion of the city eggs? Part 2.) How is Windle Poons' opinion of humanity changed after he becomes undead? Part 3.) What lessons does Death learn about humanity while living as Bill Door?
Essay Topic 3
The scythe creates the opportunity for much symbolism in the book. Part 1.) What role does the scythe play in the destruction of the new persona of Death and what might this symbolize about the nature of this new persona? Part 2.) How does Death's scythe support his need to work hard? Part 3.) How does the author use the image of the scythe to represent death throughout the book?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)