|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does Windle Poons break into at the Unseen University?
2. What kind of tree does the narrator discuss as living thousands of years in the book?
3. Who owns the piece of furniture in which the mysterious object first begins appearing in the book?
4. What does the friend the medium contacts say is crowded and is causing poltergeist activity?
5. What is the name that Death takes on when he acts as a human?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Windle Poons' first suicide attempt described?
2. What is the nature of the leaflets Windle Poons finds coming from the top of the pyramid?
3. How does Windle Poons break into the library of the Unseen University?
4. How does Bill Door react after Miss Flitworth asks him to help her kill rats and a chicken?
5. How is the inside of the pyramid described when Windle Poons and the others first enter it?
6. What does Mrs. Cake tell Windle Poons about the imbalance of life force between the present world and the astral?
7. How is Bill Door first accepted around town after moving there?
8. What does the narrator explain is the repercussion of the absence of death?
9. How does Miss Flitworth learn that Bill Door is really Death?
10. What happens when Windle Poons realizes Schleppel followed him home after the Fresh Start Club meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of sacrifice in the book. What impact does Miss Flitworth's sacrifice of her lifetimer sand have on Bill Door/Death's humanization in the book, and why is this act so significant to him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of reality in the book. How is the natural portrayal of reality skewed in the book and what factors lead to this alteration in reality?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of money in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of money based on Miss Flitworth's vast and wasted fortune seen at the end of the book?
This section contains 1,612 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)