|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Windle Poons retrieve some hidden money?
2. What is the name of the old woman who Death finds work with as a human?
3. How much does the woman pay Death each week for working on her farm?
4. What kind of pie does the wizard request before dying?
5. What room does Windle Poons break into at the Unseen University?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the wizards try to attack Windle Poons after he comes back from the dead?
2. How does Death find a job after taking of the persona of Bill Door?
3. What does the narrator explain is the repercussion of the absence of death?
4. What happens when Mrs. Cake contacts One-Man-Bucket for the first time in the book?
5. How does Bill Door use the scythe to cut Miss Fitworth's grass?
6. How does Bill Door react after Miss Flitworth asks him to help her kill rats and a chicken?
7. How is Miss Flitwotrh's parlor described in the book?
8. What does Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler tell Sergeant Colon is happening in his cellar?
9. How does the narrator describe how the persona of Death was created?
10. How is the nature of Lupine's character first described in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's portrayal of class in the book. How does the author portray the undead characters in the book as a lesser class than humans, wizards and other characters and what deeper meaning might he wish for you to gain from this presentation?
Essay Topic 2
From the beginning of the book, the author presents an element of fantasy in the scenery and characters in the book. Part 1.) How do the book's characters create a tone of fantasy? Part 2.) What elements would have been impossible without the element of fantasy? Part 3.) How does the author take advantage of fantasy when using symbolic morals to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of mourning that is presented in the book. What impact does Death's first experience with mourning have on his outlook on life and what change does this exhibit in him?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)