|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the support group for dead people that is advertised inside Windle Poons' coffin?
2. What do the wizards find an assortment of when they first arrive at the Patrician's palace?
3. What does Bill Door complain is too noisy in Miss Flitworth's parlor?
4. What does Miss Flitworth try to kill with poisoned food?
5. Where does Windle Poons retrieve some hidden money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bill Door do to Miss Flitworth's clock while visiting with her?
2. How is the Morris dance first described?
3. How do the wizards try to attack Windle Poons after he comes back from the dead?
4. How does the narrator describe how the persona of Death was created?
5. How do Windle's friends react after he comes back from the dead?
6. How is Miss Flitwotrh's parlor described in the book?
7. What happens when Windle Poons goes into the Shades?
8. How does the narrator compare two experiences of life with mayflies and pine trees?
9. How does Bill Door use the scythe to cut Miss Fitworth's grass?
10. How do the wizards bury Windle Poons at a crossroad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of the concept of hope in the book. How does Windle Poons' experience with undeath increase his perceptions of hope in regards to his feelings about his life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the author's portrayal of man versus machine in the book. What does man possess that allows him to overcome machines despite often being overcome by them?
Essay Topic 3
Humanity is a theme examined throughout the book, especially when compared to the lives of wizards and other paranormal beings. Part 1.) How is humanity put to test in the novel from the invasion of the city eggs? Part 2.) How is Windle Poons' opinion of humanity changed after he becomes undead? Part 3.) What lessons does Death learn about humanity while living as Bill Door?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)