|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the relationship between the Unseen University and the Patrician?
2. What does the friend the medium contacts say is crowded and is causing poltergeist activity?
3. What kind of pie does the wizard request before dying?
4. How many hours does Bill Door discover someone has stolen from his lifetimer while in a hayloft?
5. Where does Bill Door suggest Miss Flitworth's fiancé probably died?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Windle Poons described after the wizards bury him in a coffin while undead?
2. What does the gray robes that the wizards conjure tell them about Death?
3. How does Bill Door react after Miss Flitworth asks him to help her kill rats and a chicken?
4. What does Windle Poons' spirit do after Death doesn't show up to collect him?
5. What happens when Bill Door sees a gray figure with his shattered lifetimer in the barn during a dream?
6. What happens when Windle Poons goes into the Shades?
7. How is the nature of Lupine's character first described in the book?
8. How is Bill Door first accepted around town after moving there?
9. What happens when Mrs. Cake contacts One-Man-Bucket for the first time in the book?
10. How does Death find a job after taking of the persona of Bill Door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the symbolism that dance has in the book. What significance do the two dances, the Morris dance and the harvest dance, have in the portrayal of the circle of life in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of class in the book. How does the author portray the undead characters in the book as a lesser class than humans, wizards and other characters and what deeper meaning might he wish for you to gain from this presentation?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the author's portrayal of man versus machine in the book. What does man possess that allows him to overcome machines despite often being overcome by them?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)