|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The phone rings and Henry picks it up. He then asks if ________ would like to talk to Annie.
2. Billy messes up the line and they have to re-do the scene. Annie moves away from him leaving him feel ________.
3. Annie leaves the room when Henry accuses her of having a fancy for _______.
4. If you use a lump of wood instead, the ball will not travel and you will end up hurting your ______.
5. Henry finds out that _______ is getting married. Annie says congratulations and wants to know who the girl is.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Max is one that seems to take on the woes of his relationships, even though the women seem to be the ones who are doing the damage.
Part 1: Why do you think Max is so sensitive within his relationships?
Part 2: Do you think Max would make a good partner within the context of a relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Max will be happy when he gets married at the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The multiple meanings of many of the phrases and words in this play make the actual meaning more difficult to ascertain. At the same time, this allows the reader to take from the play what they will.
Part 1: Why do you think the playwrights used phrases and words with multiple meanings?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to ever know exactly what the playwright meant? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the play is affected by the multiple layered phrases and words?
Essay Topic 3
The structure used by Stoppard to show a play within a play is one that confuses the reader at times, though it might be easier for an audience member to appreciate.
Part 1: What did you think about the structure of a play within a play? Did you think it helped the play or hurt it?
Part 2: Why do you think Stoppard decided to use the play within a play structure?
Part 3: If the play had simply been straightforward without any play within a play structures, how might the story have been different?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)