|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie says goodbye to ________. How can she need someone she spends half her time telling to grow up?
2. Annie discovers that Billy has read the play that Brodie wrote. She asks him what he thinks and he replies ________.
3. This isn't better because someone says it is or because there is a conspiracy by the_______ to keep cudgels off the field.
4. Annie finishes with the lights and then goes into _________.
5. Annie and Billy read lines of the play to each other and at some point Billy opens _________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family troubles seem to be center stage for Charlotte and Henry when talking about Debbie. These separated parents still seem to love their child and their relationship to their child.
Part 1: How do you think each character sees family within this play? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the playwright feels about family after reading this play?
Part 3: Why do you think Charlotte and Henry are still focused on their family?
Essay Topic 2
The multiple meanings of many of the phrases and words in this play make the actual meaning more difficult to ascertain. At the same time, this allows the reader to take from the play what they will.
Part 1: Why do you think the playwrights used phrases and words with multiple meanings?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to ever know exactly what the playwright meant? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think the play is affected by the multiple layered phrases and words?
Essay Topic 3
At times in this play, the idea of finding love seems clichÃ©d, with people meeting on trains or when they work on plays together.
Part 1: How do you think the playwright feels about love after having read this play?
Part 2: Do you think love is portrayed as cliched in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can love ever be a cliche? Why or why not?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)