|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Annie sticks up for the play, Henry uses a ________ in order to make his point about writing.
2. As Scene 7 opens, a _________ is sitting by the door.
3. Annie discovers that Billy has read the play that Brodie wrote. She asks him what he thinks and he replies ________.
4. Brodie was mad at Henry for writing his play _______.
5. Henry asked Annie if she is going to see Billy again and she replied that she wants to go to his next ______.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The women within this play seem to be manipulative with the men in their lives.
Part 1: In what ways do you think the women are manipulative in this play? Or aren't they?
Part 2: How does the playwright define the roles of men and women within this play?
Part 3: Do you think the women are trying to hurt the men in their lives within this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
While the play is often quite funny to the audience, the social commentary is also quite apparent to the audience.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is so often categorized as a comedy?
Part 2: In what ways might the play's content also be saying something about the life during that particular time period?
Part 3: Do you think a play has to have a social commentary to make? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The structure used by Stoppard to show a play within a play is one that confuses the reader at times, though it might be easier for an audience member to appreciate.
Part 1: What did you think about the structure of a play within a play? Did you think it helped the play or hurt it?
Part 2: Why do you think Stoppard decided to use the play within a play structure?
Part 3: If the play had simply been straightforward without any play within a play structures, how might the story have been different?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)