|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the bowl is shoved in his face, Brodie carefully wipes his face off with ________.
2. Debbie's boyfriend plays a _______ at the fairground, which to her is being a musician.
3. As the scene opens Debbie is _________ and Henry is questioning her about it.
4. Scene 11 opens with Henry listening to the radio which is playing _______.
5. Henry tells Max that _______ will be so upset when she finds out she missed him on the phone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The image of the house of cards is one that comes up several times during this play. The tenuous position of the cards is much like the position of many of the characters.
Part 1: Why do you think the house of cards is so appropriate as a prop in the play? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think 'house of cards' works so well as a metaphor for love in this play? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think a house of cards can ever be stable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The women within this play seem to be manipulative with the men in their lives.
Part 1: In what ways do you think the women are manipulative in this play? Or aren't they?
Part 2: How does the playwright define the roles of men and women within this play?
Part 3: Do you think the women are trying to hurt the men in their lives within this play? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While the play is often quite funny to the audience, the social commentary is also quite apparent to the audience.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is so often categorized as a comedy?
Part 2: In what ways might the play's content also be saying something about the life during that particular time period?
Part 3: Do you think a play has to have a social commentary to make? Why or why not?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)