|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The doorbell rings announcing the arrival of Debbie's boyfriend. Charlotte walks out wearing ________.
2. Henry asked what Annie and Billy had to talk about and she replied_______.
3. Henry says that the fate of all artists is _______.
4. At the opening of Scene 9, Henry is alone in the _______ sitting in a chair.
5. Henry says that he does not think that writers are sacred but ______ are; they deserve respect.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The creative energy of Henry allows him to create beautiful dialogue or his characters, but he sometimes has troubles when speaking for himself.
Part 1: Why do you think it's easier for Henry to be creative in his plays than in real life?
Part 2: Do you think Henry's work is his way of dealing with his everyday problems? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you believe it's possible for Henry to be able to bring his creative dialogue into real life as well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The continued affairs in this play seem to show that love is not something that can be monogamous or that can be relied upon between a man and a woman.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of an affair?
Part 2: Why do you think that affairs are so common within the context of this play?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic for someone to stay with just one person throughout his/her life?
Essay Topic 3
Brodie's writing is noted as being less effective than Henry's writing, but art is something that is quite subjective in terms of its worth to a reader or to an audience.
Part 1: How do the characters in the play define good or bad writing?
Part 2: Why do you think Brodie's writing is seen as less effective than Henry's writing?
Part 3: How can art ever be reasonably judged by others? Or can't it?
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)