|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The phone rings and Henry picks it up. He then asks if ________ would like to talk to Annie.
2. Annie picked up her ________ and went into the bedroom when she noticed nothing was clean.
3. Henry says that he does not think that writers are sacred but ______ are; they deserve respect.
4. Annie rushes out, late for her engagement and Henry asks her to ________ because it is important.
5. Henry says that the fate of all artists is _______.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the most compelling parts of this play is that there is a fuzzy line between what is real and what is art. The differences between real life and art are subtle, but they alter the way the characters and the play are perceived.
Part 1: Can there ever be a true definition of reality? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you define the idea of art? Is there just one definition that makes sense? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think what is real and what is art is such a serious question in this play?
Essay Topic 2
Henry is very attached to his art, writing, calling it sacred and deserving of respect. One's passion can often stir up these sorts of emotions in a person.
Part 1: Why do you think Henry believes his art demands so much respect?
Part 2: Do you agree that writing deserves to be respected or that it is sacred? Why or why not?
Part 3: In your life, what is most sacred to you? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Family troubles seem to be center stage for Charlotte and Henry when talking about Debbie. These separated parents still seem to love their child and their relationship to their child.
Part 1: How do you think each character sees family within this play? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the playwright feels about family after reading this play?
Part 3: Why do you think Charlotte and Henry are still focused on their family?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)