|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Scene 11 opens with Henry listening to the radio which is playing _______.
2. As Brodie turns down the volume of the television set one can hear footsteps and the clang of a _______.
3. Billy states that he thinks that Henry is a __________ writer.
4. Brodie stated that Henry did not help him get out of prison with the play, there were _____ other inmates that got out with him.
5. As Scene 10 opens, Annie is sitting down reading on the ________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The image of the house of cards is one that comes up several times during this play. The tenuous position of the cards is much like the position of many of the characters.
Part 1: Why do you think the house of cards is so appropriate as a prop in the play? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think 'house of cards' works so well as a metaphor for love in this play? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think a house of cards can ever be stable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The creative energy of Henry allows him to create beautiful dialogue or his characters, but he sometimes has troubles when speaking for himself.
Part 1: Why do you think it's easier for Henry to be creative in his plays than in real life?
Part 2: Do you think Henry's work is his way of dealing with his everyday problems? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you believe it's possible for Henry to be able to bring his creative dialogue into real life as well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At times in this play, the idea of finding love seems clichÃ©d, with people meeting on trains or when they work on plays together.
Part 1: How do you think the playwright feels about love after having read this play?
Part 2: Do you think love is portrayed as cliched in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can love ever be a cliche? Why or why not?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)