|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reading a few lines of the play Henry is frustrated that he can't write ______.
2. ________ used to eat like a horse until she had one.
3. Annie begins to read a scene from the play she will be doing in Glasgow which is written by ________.
4. Max's project collapses when _______ slams the door and enters the room.
5. Max found the passport in ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Max building as a door opens offstage at the start of this play's first scene in Act 1?
2. What kind of scene are Billy and Annie rehearsing at the start of the eighth scene of the second act?
3. What does Annie do when she sees Henry during the beginning part of this scene?
4. How did Henry contribute to the movie that Brodie has written and that is being produced?
5. What are Henry and Debbie discussing as this particular scene begins?
6. Who does Henry believe there are musical similarities between as he and Annie talk?
7. What does Max shout to the person who has opened the door at the start of the play?
8. What are the indications that time has passed as this particular scene opens up to the audience?
9. What is the result of the bantering between Annie and Henry during this particular scene? What does Annie promise to do?
10. What is the family crisis that Henry reminds Charlotte they are discussing during this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family troubles seem to be center stage for Charlotte and Henry when talking about Debbie. These separated parents still seem to love their child and their relationship to their child.
Part 1: How do you think each character sees family within this play? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the playwright feels about family after reading this play?
Part 3: Why do you think Charlotte and Henry are still focused on their family?
Essay Topic 2
The continued affairs in this play seem to show that love is not something that can be monogamous or that can be relied upon between a man and a woman.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of an affair?
Part 2: Why do you think that affairs are so common within the context of this play?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic for someone to stay with just one person throughout his/her life?
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)