|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In reference to the musical selections Henry is trying to come up with, Charlotte suggests he is ashamed of liking _________.
2. Henry compares the tools of writing to a ________.
3. Billy states that Mary reminds him of ________.
4. Annie said that she won't go with Henry because he spoils it for his daughter by being _______.
5. After Max says he is sorry, Charlotte begins to leave to go to _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy reveal about his feelings towards Annie as they are together in this scene?
2. What does Annie do when a young man approaches her and talks to her?
3. What is revealed about Billy and Annie as they continue to talk during this particular scene?
4. In relation to the play, what do Henry and Annie banter about during this scene?
5. What does Max shout to the person who has opened the door at the start of the play?
6. What are the indications that time has passed as this particular scene opens up to the audience?
7. What is the topic of small talk discussing between Brodie and Henry during this scene?
8. What is the result of the bantering between Annie and Henry during this particular scene? What does Annie promise to do?
9. What does Charlotte say would actually happen if Henry were to catch her having an affair, rather than what happens in the actual play?
10. What is playing in the background as Annie and Max are talking with each other during this scene of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
While the play is often quite funny to the audience, the social commentary is also quite apparent to the audience.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is so often categorized as a comedy?
Part 2: In what ways might the play's content also be saying something about the life during that particular time period?
Part 3: Do you think a play has to have a social commentary to make? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The structure used by Stoppard to show a play within a play is one that confuses the reader at times, though it might be easier for an audience member to appreciate.
Part 1: What did you think about the structure of a play within a play? Did you think it helped the play or hurt it?
Part 2: Why do you think Stoppard decided to use the play within a play structure?
Part 3: If the play had simply been straightforward without any play within a play structures, how might the story have been different?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)