|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Billy states that Mary reminds him of ________.
2. Mary is one of the sisters. Annie states that of the others _________ are pregnant.
3. Max asks Charlotte about the _______ in Geneva.
4. Annie promises Henry that she is not there. However she then ________.
5. THE REAL THING refers to the ________ that the story is attempting to access.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry fetch a cricket bat in order to explain the process of writing to Annie?
2. Why does Debbie not want Henry to come out to meet her boyfriend when the boyfriend arrives at the house?
3. What is happening at the end of the film, though, at the beginning of this scene?
4. What does Debbie reveal during a long speech that she has learned about sex?
5. What does Max reveal to Charlotte that he knows about her Amsterdam trip during the first scene?
6. What do Annie and Henry banter about during this particular scene?
7. What is playing in the background as Annie and Max are talking with each other during this scene of the play?
8. Describe the positions of Max and Annie when this particular scene begins, according to the stage directions.
9. What do Annie and Billy think about the writing talent of Brodie, according to their conversation?
10. What does Annie do when she sees Henry during the beginning part of this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The title of the play, THE REAL THING, seems to be almost a joke to the characters and to the author of the play.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the 'real thing' in relation to this play and to its events?
Part 2: Are there any characters in this play who seem to have the 'real thing'? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the title was chosen for this play? Do you agree that it's the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character of Max is one that seems to take on the woes of his relationships, even though the women seem to be the ones who are doing the damage.
Part 1: Why do you think Max is so sensitive within his relationships?
Part 2: Do you think Max would make a good partner within the context of a relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Max will be happy when he gets married at the end? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Henry is very attached to his art, writing, calling it sacred and deserving of respect. One's passion can often stir up these sorts of emotions in a person.
Part 1: Why do you think Henry believes his art demands so much respect?
Part 2: Do you agree that writing deserves to be respected or that it is sacred? Why or why not?
Part 3: In your life, what is most sacred to you? Why?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)