|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry makes a comment about Annie committing incest in ________.
2. Annie is frustrated with Henry because he can't tell the difference between ________.
3. Charlotte tells Max that she has been to _________ in Switzerland.
4. Henry compares the tools of writing to a ________.
5. Annie accuses Henry of being an elitist about _______, giving rules for who can do it and who can't.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the announcement that Max has to make on the phone during the final moments of the play?
2. How did Henry contribute to the movie that Brodie has written and that is being produced?
3. What does Henry say when Annie tells him that he should have put her things back in their proper places?
4. What is happening in the hotel room as the lights come up on the stage?
5. What does the shift in lighting during the scene between Billy and Annie indicate to the audience?
6. What does Annie respond when Henry asks her if the train was late?
7. What is the result of the bantering between Annie and Henry during this particular scene? What does Annie promise to do?
8. What is the family crisis that Henry reminds Charlotte they are discussing during this scene?
9. Describe the character of Henry and what his line of work is at the current moment.
10. What is revealed about Billy and Annie as they continue to talk during this particular scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The continued affairs in this play seem to show that love is not something that can be monogamous or that can be relied upon between a man and a woman.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of an affair?
Part 2: Why do you think that affairs are so common within the context of this play?
Part 3: Do you think it's realistic for someone to stay with just one person throughout his/her life?
Essay Topic 2
Family troubles seem to be center stage for Charlotte and Henry when talking about Debbie. These separated parents still seem to love their child and their relationship to their child.
Part 1: How do you think each character sees family within this play? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the playwright feels about family after reading this play?
Part 3: Why do you think Charlotte and Henry are still focused on their family?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are never easy, but it seems that many of the characters within this play are making their relationships harder than they need to be.
Part 1: What do you think makes up a good, strong relationship?
Part 2: Why do you think the characters in this play are seemingly trying to make their relationships more difficult?
Part 3: Is there ever such a thing as a strong and easy relationship? Why or why not?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)