|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Annie states that ______, a member of the committee is willing to do the play.
2. After Max says he is sorry, Charlotte begins to leave to go to _______.
3. Henry is trying to find the tune that the orchestra was playing and he thought it was _________.
4. Henry states that he didn't go to bed on time because ________.
5. In the play, the train is heading toward the city of ______ and will be arriving at 1:30.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Henry fetch a cricket bat in order to explain the process of writing to Annie?
2. What shows that Annie and Billy have some emotional and sexual distance between them?
3. What does Brodie have to say about the film's script as Annie walks into the scene with appetizers and dip?
4. What does Charlotte say would actually happen if Henry were to catch her having an affair, rather than what happens in the actual play?
5. What is Henry supposed to do during his time on the radio program, which is what he is preparing for at the start of the scene?
6. What is the result of the bantering between Annie and Henry during this particular scene? What does Annie promise to do?
7. What are some of the questions that Henry asks Annie during the following scene in this act?
8. What is Max building as a door opens offstage at the start of this play's first scene in Act 1?
9. What does Max accuse Annie of during the dispute with the handkerchief during this particular scene?
10. What does Henry say when Annie tells him that he should have put her things back in their proper places?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The character of Brodie is an interesting one since no one in the audience sees him until the very end of the play.
Part 1: Why do you think the character of Brodie is necessary for the play?
Part 2: Do you think leaving out the character of Brodie would have been possible? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the character of Brodie isn't introduced to the play until the very end?
Essay Topic 2
At times in this play, the idea of finding love seems clichÃ©d, with people meeting on trains or when they work on plays together.
Part 1: How do you think the playwright feels about love after having read this play?
Part 2: Do you think love is portrayed as cliched in this play? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can love ever be a cliche? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Max is one that seems to take on the woes of his relationships, even though the women seem to be the ones who are doing the damage.
Part 1: Why do you think Max is so sensitive within his relationships?
Part 2: Do you think Max would make a good partner within the context of a relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Max will be happy when he gets married at the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)