|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charlotte says that the difference between plays and real life is __________.
2. The doorbell rings and Henry takes the record off the machine. The person at the door is _______.
3. Annie asks Henry which opera it is and he guesses all of the following except ________.
4. As Scene 2 opens, ________ is listening to the record player and looking for a particular piece of music.
5. Henry believes that his writing suffers to some degree because he is too ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the shift in lighting during the scene between Billy and Annie indicate to the audience?
2. Describe the positions of Max and Annie when this particular scene begins, according to the stage directions.
3. What is the family crisis that Henry reminds Charlotte they are discussing during this scene?
4. What does Max accuse Annie of during the dispute with the handkerchief during this particular scene?
5. Why does Henry fetch a cricket bat in order to explain the process of writing to Annie?
6. What does Annie tell Billy as he continues to flirt with her on the train to Scotland?
7. What does Annie tell Henry he should have done with her things in her room?
8. What are Henry and Debbie discussing as this particular scene begins?
9. What does Annie admit to not feeling guilty about during this particular scene?
10. What does Max confront Annie with during this scene, saying that it's Henry's and should be given back?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The image of the house of cards is one that comes up several times during this play. The tenuous position of the cards is much like the position of many of the characters.
Part 1: Why do you think the house of cards is so appropriate as a prop in the play? Or isn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think 'house of cards' works so well as a metaphor for love in this play? Or doesn't it?
Part 3: Do you think a house of cards can ever be stable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Max is one that seems to take on the woes of his relationships, even though the women seem to be the ones who are doing the damage.
Part 1: Why do you think Max is so sensitive within his relationships?
Part 2: Do you think Max would make a good partner within the context of a relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Max will be happy when he gets married at the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,187 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)