|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry makes a comment about Annie committing incest in ________.
2. Max's project collapses when _______ slams the door and enters the room.
3. Charlotte tells Max that she has been to _________ in Switzerland.
4. Annie tells Henry that he gets moody whenever he _________.
5. All of the following died in the same plane crash except ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Max confront Annie with during this scene, saying that it's Henry's and should be given back?
2. What does Annie say when Max accuses her of the action that he accuses her of in #17?
3. What is Henry doing at the start of the second scene of the first act of the play?
4. Describe the positions of Max and Annie when this particular scene begins, according to the stage directions.
5. What is the tangent that Charlotte goes off on when talking with Debbie and Henry?
6. Describe the position of Annie at the start of this scene. Where is she and what is she doing?
7. When does Charlotte join in on the banter between Henry and Debbie during the course of this scene?
8. What are the common thoughts about the play that Charlotte and Max are both in?
9. What is the family crisis that Henry reminds Charlotte they are discussing during this scene?
10. What is revealed about Billy and Annie as they continue to talk during this particular scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play, THE REAL THING, seems to be almost a joke to the characters and to the author of the play.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the 'real thing' in relation to this play and to its events?
Part 2: Are there any characters in this play who seem to have the 'real thing'? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the title was chosen for this play? Do you agree that it's the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The creative energy of Henry allows him to create beautiful dialogue or his characters, but he sometimes has troubles when speaking for himself.
Part 1: Why do you think it's easier for Henry to be creative in his plays than in real life?
Part 2: Do you think Henry's work is his way of dealing with his everyday problems? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you believe it's possible for Henry to be able to bring his creative dialogue into real life as well? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,180 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)