|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The character that Annie is reading in the play is called ________.
2. Charlotte tells Henry that she has phoned _______ because of her conscience.
3. Annie accuses Henry of being an elitist about _______, giving rules for who can do it and who can't.
4. Max's project collapses when _______ slams the door and enters the room.
5. Max asks the whereabouts of Debbie and Henry replies_______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Annie respond when Henry asks her if the train was late?
2. Describe the position of Annie at the start of this scene. Where is she and what is she doing?
3. What does the current stage direction say that the room in the scene looks like in comparison to the room in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Annie correct Billy when he is stating a line during the start of this scene?
5. What is Max building as a door opens offstage at the start of this play's first scene in Act 1?
6. What does Billy reveal about his feelings towards Annie as they are together in this scene?
7. What does Max confront Annie with during this scene, saying that it's Henry's and should be given back?
8. Why was it the committee's idea to produce the play of Brodie, even though Henry does not think it is very good?
9. What does Max tell Charlotte when she asks him if something is wrong during the first scene?
10. Describe the character of Henry and what his line of work is at the current moment.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The creative energy of Henry allows him to create beautiful dialogue or his characters, but he sometimes has troubles when speaking for himself.
Part 1: Why do you think it's easier for Henry to be creative in his plays than in real life?
Part 2: Do you think Henry's work is his way of dealing with his everyday problems? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you believe it's possible for Henry to be able to bring his creative dialogue into real life as well? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play, THE REAL THING, seems to be almost a joke to the characters and to the author of the play.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of the 'real thing' in relation to this play and to its events?
Part 2: Are there any characters in this play who seem to have the 'real thing'? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think the title was chosen for this play? Do you agree that it's the best choice? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)