Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ was going to be stewarding at the protest meeting in the afternoon.
2. Charlotte enters the room wearing ________ and looking generally disheveled.
3. In response to Charlotte's protests about the number of people coming over, Henry suggests they give them________.
4. At the beginning of Scene 5 Henry is playing music by ________.
5. Max asks Charlotte about the _______ in Geneva.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Annie and Billy think about the writing talent of Brodie, according to their conversation?
2. What are the common thoughts about the play that Charlotte and Max are both in?
3. What do Annie and Henry banter about during this particular scene?
4. What shows that Annie and Billy have some emotional and sexual distance between them?
5. What does Max tell Charlotte when she asks him if something is wrong during the first scene?
6. What are Henry and Debbie discussing as this particular scene begins?
7. What does Max accuse Annie of during the dispute with the handkerchief during this particular scene?
8. Why does Henry fetch a cricket bat in order to explain the process of writing to Annie?
9. What does Annie do when she sees Henry during the beginning part of this scene?
10. What does the shift in lighting during the scene between Billy and Annie indicate to the audience?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of a love triangle is introduced almost immediately within this play. The tension between lovers is a great dramatic effect for the audience, after all.
Part 1: Why do you think love triangles are so often used within plays and other stories?
Part 2: Do you think this play would have been as interesting without the love triangles? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you believe the idea of a love triangle is a realistic and prevalent part of love? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene, Max points out that Charlotte did not bring her passport with her, which leads her to realize that he has been going through her things.
Part 1: Why do you think Max felt the need to spy on Charlotte when she was away?
Part 2: Did Max have the right to spy on Charlotte when she was away? Why or why not?
Part 3: What do you think the expectations of privacy within a relationship should be? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The women within this play seem to be manipulative with the men in their lives.
Part 1: In what ways do you think the women are manipulative in this play? Or aren't they?
Part 2: How does the playwright define the roles of men and women within this play?
Part 3: Do you think the women are trying to hurt the men in their lives within this play? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)