|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the play, the train is heading toward the city of ______ and will be arriving at 1:30.
2. Annie accuses Henry of being an elitist about _______, giving rules for who can do it and who can't.
3. Max goes to help Charlotte in the kitchen and she allows him to _________.
4. Max asks Charlotte how many lovers she has and if it is anyone he knows. Charlotte replies_______.
5. Henry is trying to come up with ________ records that he associates with turning points in his life.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is playing in the background as Annie and Max are talking with each other during this scene of the play?
2. Describe the position of Annie at the start of this scene. Where is she and what is she doing?
3. What is Henry doing during the beginning of the scene as Annie walks in?
4. What does Annie respond when Henry asks her if the train was late?
5. What does Charlotte say would actually happen if Henry were to catch her having an affair, rather than what happens in the actual play?
6. Describe the character of Henry and what his line of work is at the current moment.
7. What does Henry say when Annie tells him that he should have put her things back in their proper places?
8. What does Annie do when she sees Henry during the beginning part of this scene?
9. What is Henry doing at the start of the second scene of the first act of the play?
10. What does Max reveal to Charlotte that he knows about her Amsterdam trip during the first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Family troubles seem to be center stage for Charlotte and Henry when talking about Debbie. These separated parents still seem to love their child and their relationship to their child.
Part 1: How do you think each character sees family within this play? Why?
Part 2: How do you think the playwright feels about family after reading this play?
Part 3: Why do you think Charlotte and Henry are still focused on their family?
Essay Topic 2
While the play is often quite funny to the audience, the social commentary is also quite apparent to the audience.
Part 1: Why do you think this play is so often categorized as a comedy?
Part 2: In what ways might the play's content also be saying something about the life during that particular time period?
Part 3: Do you think a play has to have a social commentary to make? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The character of Max is one that seems to take on the woes of his relationships, even though the women seem to be the ones who are doing the damage.
Part 1: Why do you think Max is so sensitive within his relationships?
Part 2: Do you think Max would make a good partner within the context of a relationship? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think Max will be happy when he gets married at the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)