|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi include the scene from "Invitation to a Beheading" in Chapter 22?
2. What is Mina's job?
3. What is Nafisi feeling when the classroom trial of "The Great Gatsby" ends?
4. According to Nafisi, how can one stop "dancing with the jailer"?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Nafisi decide to cancel class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
2. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
3. What are the similarities between Sanaz's experience in jail and the experience of Cincinnatus in "Invitation to a Beheading"? What are the differences between their experiences?
4. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
5. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
6. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
7. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
8. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why does Nafisi describe her students in such detail?
10. What does Nafisi mean by her statement that she "left Iran, but Iran did not leave me?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nafisi opens and closes the book with images and accounts of the students in her secret class. This creates a satisfying conclusion and cyclic treatment in the book. What other examples of cyclic treatment are evident in the book? Choose 2 examples and write an essay illustrating how Nafisi uses cyclic treatment throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the students from one of Nafisi's University classes and one of the students from Nafisi's secret class. Describe how the life of each character was shaped through his or her interaction with fiction. What role or roles does fiction play in the life of that character? Does the character change at all through his or her interaction with fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Nafisi returns to the issue of wearing the veil. Write an essay that addresses Nafisi's feelings about the veil. What does the veil represent for Nafisi personally? What does it represent for her professionally? How is the veil used as a symbol in this book?
This section contains 1,297 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)