|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 12, where do Nafisi and her husband go?
2. What does Nafisi do with help from Mr. Forsati?
3. Why is Nafisi uncomfortable with Mr. Bahir's action at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
4. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
5. What activity does Nafisi do with her students to help them understand the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities between the lives of the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and the lives of Nafisi's students?
2. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
3. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
4. Why does Nafisi think teaching "The Great Gatsby" was the right choice for that time and place?
5. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
6. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
7. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
8. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
9. What kind of man is Mr. Bahri?
10. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several times Nafisi refers to the individual rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Write an essay that focuses on one of those rights. How is that right viewed by the Islamist Iranian Republic? How is that right portrayed in the literature Nafisi teaches? What does Nafisi do to assert her rights?
Essay Topic 2
In Section I, Chapter 4, Mahsid says "everyday life does not have fewer horrors than prison." Choose 3 characters from the book and write an essay that illustrates the truthfulness or untruthfulness of this statement from each of their perspectives. What are their everyday horrors? How do these characters respond to them?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Nafisi returns to the issue of wearing the veil. Write an essay that addresses Nafisi's feelings about the veil. What does the veil represent for Nafisi personally? What does it represent for her professionally? How is the veil used as a symbol in this book?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)