|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Mujahedeen?
2. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Nafisi decide to cancel class?
4. What does Nafisi teach during her first semester as a professor at the University of Tehran?
5. What does Nafisi do with help from Mr. Forsati?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
2. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
3. Why does a university staff member describe the Ayatollah's funeral as an event?
4. What does Nafisi do during her early years as a professor at the University of Tehran?
5. Why does Nafisi call Catherine in "Washington Square" the inverse of our ideas about what a heroine should be?
6. Why is Nafisi conflicted about returning to full-time teaching?
7. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
8. What is the impact of Iran's war with Iraq?
9. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
10. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, Nafisi uses language with strong sensory connections. Choose taste, touch, sight, smell, or hearing and write an essay that discusses the use of that sense in each of the four sections of the book. Why is this sense used? Is the sense always used by the same individual? Is it always used in the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the students from one of Nafisi's University classes and one of the students from Nafisi's secret class. Describe how the life of each character was shaped through his or her interaction with fiction. What role or roles does fiction play in the life of that character? Does the character change at all through his or her interaction with fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Nafisi returns to the issue of wearing the veil. Write an essay that addresses Nafisi's feelings about the veil. What does the veil represent for Nafisi personally? What does it represent for her professionally? How is the veil used as a symbol in this book?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)