|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands entry into Nafisi's house?
2. What object does Nafisi refer to when she first describes the students in her study group?
3. Nassrin describes herself as being in the middle of what for her whole life?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
5. What is Nafisi doing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
2. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
3. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 18, the room where the class meets becomes a character. How does Nafisi describe the room?
5. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
6. Why does Nassrin say she has been caught in the middle of tradition and change her entire life?
7. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
8. According to Nafisi, what is life like for a "normal Iranian citizen"?
9. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
10. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
America is presented as both reality and symbol, as a concept and a country. Describe the various ways America is interpreted and understood by those in Nafisi's classes and the Iranian government. How do those interpretations compare to Nafisi's personal memories and descriptions of America? What elements of America are emphasized? What elements of America are omitted? Why are there omissions?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the memoir, Nafisi returns to the issue of wearing the veil. Write an essay that addresses Nafisi's feelings about the veil. What does the veil represent for Nafisi personally? What does it represent for her professionally? How is the veil used as a symbol in this book?
Essay Topic 3
In his "Letter from the Birmingham Jail (April 1963)," Martin Luther King, Jr. responded to critics who called him an extremist by pointing out examples of what he called extremist behavior by famous political and religious figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and Jesus. King challenged the notion that "extremist" was a negative behavior, and stated that "the question is not whether we will be extremist but what kind of extremist will we be."
Choose 3 of the characters listed below. Provide examples of how they are portrayed as extremists in the book. Would the character have the same perspective on their behavior as the author? If not, would the character see himself or herself as an extremist? Would they consider being an extremist to be a positive or a negative characteristic?
~ The magician
~ Mr. Bahri
~ Mr. Nyazi
~ The Iranian Government
~ Nafisi's students in the study group
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)