|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nafisi's study group conclude about "Lolita"?
2. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
3. How does Nafisi select her students for the small study group?
4. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
5. Who demands entry into Nafisi's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
2. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
3. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
4. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
5. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
6. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
7. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
8. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
9. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
10. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Part 3, Chapter 18, Nafisi describes a "perfectly equipped failure." In Part 3, Chapter 26, Nafisi provides characteristics of a traditional heroine. Using the descriptions and characteristics provided in these chapters, write an essay that addresses the following questions:
1) Would Laleh be considered a heroine or a perfectly equipped failure?
2) Would Razieh be considered a heroine or a perfectly equipped failure?
3) Which does Nafisi consider more worthy of admiration, a heroine or a perfectly equipped failure?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Nafisi uses language with strong sensory connections. Choose taste, touch, sight, smell, or hearing and write an essay that discusses the use of that sense in each of the four sections of the book. Why is this sense used? Is the sense always used by the same individual? Is it always used in the same way?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the memoir, Nafisi returns to the issue of wearing the veil. Write an essay that addresses Nafisi's feelings about the veil. What does the veil represent for Nafisi personally? What does it represent for her professionally? How is the veil used as a symbol in this book?
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)