|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Nassrin tell Nafisi?
2. In "Lolita," how does Humbert attempt to gain the reader's sympathy?
3. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
4. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
5. How do the Iranian authorities view the country's past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
2. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
3. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
4. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
5. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
6. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
7. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
8. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
9. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
10. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Reading Lolita in Tehran" is not told chronologically. The use of flashbacks and the telling of the story in segmented historical pieces distributed across multiple sections determines the shape for the novel. How does the element of time shape the reader's understanding of the memoir's major points? How does the element of time shape the reader's understanding of the characters Nafisi develops?
Essay Topic 2
"Reading Lolita in Tehran" centers around literature, a written form of art. Choose another art form (dance, music, visual art) and discuss the use of that art form in all four sections of the book. What is the role or roles of art in the Iranian Islamic Republic? What role or roles does art play in the fictional works Nafisi teaches? What role or roles does art play in the life of Nafisi? In the lives of her students?
Essay Topic 3
In Section I, Chapter 4, Mahsid says "everyday life does not have fewer horrors than prison." Choose 3 characters from the book and write an essay that illustrates the truthfulness or untruthfulness of this statement from each of their perspectives. What are their everyday horrors? How do these characters respond to them?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)