|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 12 takes place during which season?
2. How does Nafisi's male acquaintance think he can tell a person's character?
3. Why was Nafisi's father arrested?
4. What object becomes popular in Iran?
5. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
2. According to Nafisi, what is life like for a "normal Iranian citizen"?
3. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
4. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
5. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
6. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
7. Why is it difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
8. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
9. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
10. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In his "Letter from the Birmingham Jail (April 1963)," Martin Luther King, Jr. responded to critics who called him an extremist by pointing out examples of what he called extremist behavior by famous political and religious figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, and Jesus. King challenged the notion that "extremist" was a negative behavior, and stated that "the question is not whether we will be extremist but what kind of extremist will we be."
Choose 3 of the characters listed below. Provide examples of how they are portrayed as extremists in the book. Would the character have the same perspective on their behavior as the author? If not, would the character see himself or herself as an extremist? Would they consider being an extremist to be a positive or a negative characteristic?
~ The magician
~ Mr. Bahri
~ Mr. Nyazi
~ The Iranian Government
~ Nafisi's students in the study group
Essay Topic 2
"Reading Lolita in Tehran" centers around literature, a written form of art. Choose another art form (dance, music, visual art) and discuss the use of that art form in all four sections of the book. What is the role or roles of art in the Iranian Islamic Republic? What role or roles does art play in the fictional works Nafisi teaches? What role or roles does art play in the life of Nafisi? In the lives of her students?
Essay Topic 3
Nafisi opens the book by asking the reader to imagine the secret class. She ends the book by wondering if she imagined the magician. Throughout the memoir, she mentions imagination in connection to the Iranian regime, to the authors of the fictional novels she teaches, and in the lives of herself and her students. What is the role of imagination in "Reading Lolita in Tehran"? How do each of those characters (the regime, the authors, Nafisi, her students) view imagination?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)