|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
(a) Absence of beauty.
(b) Use of a flawed heroine.
(d) Sexual immorality.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what author does Mr. Ghoni use to indirectly question Nafisi?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(c) Vladimir Nabokov.
(d) Henry James.
3. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
(a) A box of foreign chocolates.
(b) A book written in English.
(c) A pair of scissors shaped like a rooster.
(d) A bottle of homemade wine.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 14, what do the police do to the women at the protest meeting?
(a) The police arrest the women and take them all to jail.
(b) The police protect the women who come to protest.
(c) The police stand off to one side and watch the event without participating.
(d) The police push the women with the butts of their guns, and order them to go home.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 20, what does Nassrin decide to do?
(a) Stay in Iran.
(b) Get married.
(c) Get divorced.
(d) Go to London to live with her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Yassi walk faster then suddenly stop when she is out with a gentleman caller?
2. What is Mina's job?
3. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
4. Why does Nafisi form a friendship with Jeff?
5. What does Nyazi consider to be a positive aspect of "The Great Gatsby"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
2. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
3. What does Nafisi do during her early years as a professor at the University of Tehran?
4. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
5. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
6. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
7. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
8. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
9. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
10. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)