|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nafisi say that war was a blessing to some Iranians?
(a) War gave some Iranians a chance to kill people they disliked.
(b) War allowed some Iranians to get rich quickly.
(c) War caused Iranians to return to their religious roots.
(d) War gave some Iranians a sense of community, purpose, and power.
2. What political event described at the beginning of Chapter 9 sets the tone for the subsequent actions of Nafisi's students?
(a) The student occupation of the American Embassy in Tehran.
(b) The arrest of a popular professor for refusing to follow the regime's laws.
(c) The overthrow of the leadership of the University of Tehran.
(d) The invasion of Iran by Iraq.
3. In the epilogue, Nafisi makes an allusion to which novel?
(a) "Daisy Miller."
(c) "Invitation to a Beheading."
(d) "The Great Gatsby."
4. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
(a) Local religious leaders.
(b) Her study group.
(c) The magician.
(d) Officials at a local university.
5. What is the relationship between Nafisi and her first husband?
(a) They clash over appropriate ways for women to behave and ultimately divorce.
(b) He teaches her how to become a demonstrator and serves as her first mentor.
(c) She learns from him how to become a traditional Iranian wife.
(d) They enjoy a good relationship until Nafisi begins demonstrating in support of the Iranian government.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 14, what do the police do to the women at the protest meeting?
2. What project is Nassrin working on?
3. Where is the narrator at the beginning of the first chapter in Part II?
4. In Part 2, Chapter 23, what are Mr. Nyazi and another student arguing about?
5. What happens to Iranian writers and publishers during the mid-nineties?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
2. What kind of man is Mr. Bahri?
3. What does Nafisi do during her time as a member of the Iranian Student Movement?
4. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
5. What does Nassrin mean when she talks about the "ordeal of freedom" in Part 4, Chapter 20?
6. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
7. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
8. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
9. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
10. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)