|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the class study of "The Great Gatsby" affect Nafisi?
(a) She learns that she is really an American, not an Iranian.
(b) She discovers that she loves teaching revolutionary novels.
(c) She becomes sad, because her students do not enjoy the novel.
(d) She gains insight into her feelings and desires about her work and the meaning of literature in her life.
2. Who is Mr. Bahir?
(a) A man executed for charges of being too Westernized.
(b) The department chair of the Language Department at the University of Tehran.
(c) The owner of her favorite bookstore.
(d) One of Nafisi's students.
3. What does the study group find disturbing about the texts written by the Ayatollah Khomeini?
(a) Nassrin had read them and was talking about their contents publicly.
(b) The texts contain blasphemy, which is against the laws of morality.
(c) The texts are taken seriously by rulers of the country, even though they are absurd.
(d) Manna knew they had been translated.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 23, what are Mr. Nyazi and another student arguing about?
(a) Whether or not Nafisi should be expelled from the university.
(b) Whether or not the government intends to close down the universities.
(c) The morality of "The Great Gatsby."
(d) The value of teaching "The Great Gatsby" in an Islamic society.
5. What causes the Iranian regime to temporarily relax the strict enforcement of their policies?
(a) The death of the Iranian president.
(b) Opposition from members of Iranian society.
(c) Iraq's continued bombing of Iran's major cities.
(d) Pressure from Western countries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nafisi do with help from Mr. Forsati?
2. Why does Professor R. continue to participate in vigils at the University of Tehran after he resigns from his position?
3. Whose death is announced in Part 3, Chapter 33?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 24, why do the girls have to sit in the back room of the restaurant?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
2. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
3. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
4. Part 2, Chapter 11 begins with a quote from Mike Gold, "Art is useful as bread." How is this quote related to the rest of the chapter and to previous incidents in Nafisi's text?
5. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
6. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
7. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
8. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
9. What does Nafisi mean by her statement that she "left Iran, but Iran did not leave me?"
10. What kind of man is Mr. Bahri?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)