|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nafisi describes Austen as being most interested in depicting what?
(d) Social class.
2. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
(a) A pair of scissors shaped like a rooster.
(b) A book written in English.
(c) A box of foreign chocolates.
(d) A bottle of homemade wine.
3. Why does Nafisi say that war was a blessing to some Iranians?
(a) War caused Iranians to return to their religious roots.
(b) War gave some Iranians a chance to kill people they disliked.
(c) War gave some Iranians a sense of community, purpose, and power.
(d) War allowed some Iranians to get rich quickly.
4. How does Part 3, Chapter 11 begin?
(a) With the announcement that accompanies air raid sirens.
(b) With a quote from "Daisy Miller."
(c) With a student talking in Nafisi's classroom.
(d) With Nafisi standing in her apartment.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Stop coming to the study club.
(c) Go to Turkey and see a man.
(d) Go to America and enroll in a university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the government first enforce the requirement that women remain covered in workplaces and shops?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
3. What activity does Nafisi do with her students to help them understand the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
4. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
5. What does Nafisi do with help from Mr. Forsati?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi think teaching "The Great Gatsby" was the right choice for that time and place?
2. Why is Nafisi conflicted about returning to full-time teaching?
3. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
4. What is the impact of Iran's war with Iraq?
5. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
6. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
7. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
8. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
9. What are the similarities between the lives of the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and the lives of Nafisi's students?
10. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)