|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
(a) She is an Iranian travel guide.
(b) She is a mentor for Iranian graduate students.
(c) She is a teacher and writer.
(d) She is a demonstrator against the Iranian regime.
2. What political event described at the beginning of Chapter 9 sets the tone for the subsequent actions of Nafisi's students?
(a) The invasion of Iran by Iraq.
(b) The student occupation of the American Embassy in Tehran.
(c) The overthrow of the leadership of the University of Tehran.
(d) The arrest of a popular professor for refusing to follow the regime's laws.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Nafisi get on the first day she begins teaching?
(a) A cup of coffee from her mother.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) A visit from the religious leaders.
(d) An obscene message.
4. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
(b) Sexual immorality.
(c) Use of a flawed heroine.
(d) Absence of beauty.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which former student comes to see Nafisi?
(c) Mr. Bahri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity does Nafisi do with her students to help them understand the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
2. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
3. What is the question Nafisi asks of all married couples?
4. Where is the narrator at the beginning of the first chapter in Part II?
5. How is Mr. Nahvi like Jane Austen's character Elizabeth Bennet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
2. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
3. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
4. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
5. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
6. What does Nafisi mean by her statement that she "left Iran, but Iran did not leave me?"
7. Why is Nafisi conflicted about returning to full-time teaching?
8. What does Nassrin mean when she talks about the "ordeal of freedom" in Part 4, Chapter 20?
9. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
10. Part 2, Chapter 11 begins with a quote from Mike Gold, "Art is useful as bread." How is this quote related to the rest of the chapter and to previous incidents in Nafisi's text?
This section contains 1,338 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)