|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nafisi form a friendship with Jeff?
(a) They both enjoy having a friend who speaks English and has memories of America.
(b) They are both actively demonstrating against the Iranian government.
(c) Because her relationship with her husband is strained, and she is lonely.
(d) Jeff is one of her best students, and they enjoy discussing literature together.
2. Nafisi describes Austen as being most interested in depicting what?
(d) Social class.
3. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
(a) Pictures of political leaders.
(b) Political slogans.
(c) Notices about films, talks, and books.
(d) Notices about proper conduct and attire.
4. What right does Nafisi fantasize about being added to the Bill of Rights?
(a) The right to not wear a veil or head scarf.
(b) The right to travel in and out of Iran without fear.
(c) The right to free access to imagination.
(d) The right to teach Western literature in Iran.
5. How does Mr. Bahir become president of the Muslim Students' Association at the University of Tehran?
(a) He makes persuasive speeches that draw attention to his leadership qualities.
(b) He creates the organization and names himself leader.
(c) He works his way up through patience and dedication.
(d) He uses force to win the position.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nafisi teach during her first semester as a professor at the University of Tehran?
2. Why does Nafisi include the scene from "Invitation to a Beheading" in Chapter 22?
3. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
4. In the epilogue, Nafisi makes an allusion to which novel?
5. What does the study group find disturbing about the texts written by the Ayatollah Khomeini?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
2. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
3. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
4. What kind of man is Mr. Bahri?
5. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
6. Why does Nafisi call Catherine in "Washington Square" the inverse of our ideas about what a heroine should be?
7. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
8. Why is Nafisi conflicted about returning to full-time teaching?
9. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
10. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)