|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the magician tell Nafisi she should do to help her students survive?
(a) Help them gain admission to an American college.
(b) Help them regain their imagination.
(c) Help them leave Iran.
(d) Help them find a good marriage.
2. How does Nafisi describe the Iranian perception of America?
(a) As encouraging, signalling their renewed interest in Western thought.
(b) As sad, forcing her to change her way of thinking.
(c) As mythical, combining elements of Satan and Paradise Lost.
(d) As realistic, exposing the immorality of Western culture.
3. To what does Manna compare her fictional self?
(a) A strong tree.
(b) A steady green light.
(c) A Rodin statue.
(d) A beautiful memory.
4. Whose death is announced in Part 3, Chapter 33?
(a) The death of the magician.
(b) The death of Nafisi's former student.
(c) The death of Nafisi's mother.
(d) The death of Ayatollah Khomeini.
5. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
(a) Become a teacher.
(b) Go to Turkey and see a man.
(c) Stop coming to the study club.
(d) Go to America and enroll in a university.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 9, what author does Nafisi discuss with the magician?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 14, what do the police do to the women at the protest meeting?
3. Why does Yassi walk faster then suddenly stop when she is out with a gentleman caller?
4. Why does Nafisi state it is important to introduce her students to the works of Saul Bellow?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Nafisi decide to cancel class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
2. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
3. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
4. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
5. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
6. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
7. Why does a university staff member describe the Ayatollah's funeral as an event?
8. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
9. What does Nassrin mean when she talks about the "ordeal of freedom" in Part 4, Chapter 20?
10. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)