|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Mujahedeen?
(a) A group called the Party of Allah.
(b) The leaders of the University of Tehran.
(c) A radical religious organization that claims to be the spiritual and political heir of the deceased Ayatollah Taleghani.
(d) The members of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
2. Why does the government first enforce the requirement that women remain covered in workplaces and shops?
(a) Because there is no way to enforce the requirement at the university.
(b) Because the shop owners are uncomfortable serving women who are not covered.
(c) Because women object to the law, and the government wants to reinforce its authority.
(d) Because women are already wearing the chador at home.
3. Why do the students begin to keep vigils at the University of Tehran?
(a) They are protesting the expulsion of their favorite professors.
(b) To encourage the government to close down the university.
(c) To prevent the university from being closed down by the government.
(d) They are tired of going to class and want to be part of the Revolution.
4. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
(a) Nafisi's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
(b) Laleh's decision to become a seamstress.
(c) Laleh's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
(d) The actions of the Committee on Cultural Revolution.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 15, what does Dr. A. do that causes a student to honor him many years later?
(a) He resigns his position at the university to protest changes in the curriculum.
(b) He teaches a class on drama and film that is the most popular class on campus.
(c) He testifies in Revolutionary Court in favor of a former student, which is a dangerous action.
(d) He writes a pamphlet criticizing the Iranian government, which causes students to develop independent newsletters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity does Nafisi do with her students to help them understand the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 23, what are Mr. Nyazi and another student arguing about?
3. Which character is the main subject of Part 3, Chapter 27?
4. What is Hizbollah?
5. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
2. What does Nassrin mean when she talks about the "ordeal of freedom" in Part 4, Chapter 20?
3. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
4. Part 2, Chapter 11 begins with a quote from Mike Gold, "Art is useful as bread." How is this quote related to the rest of the chapter and to previous incidents in Nafisi's text?
5. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
6. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
7. What are the similarities between the lives of the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and the lives of Nafisi's students?
8. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
9. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
10. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
This section contains 1,504 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)