|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Bahir become president of the Muslim Students' Association at the University of Tehran?
(a) He makes persuasive speeches that draw attention to his leadership qualities.
(b) He creates the organization and names himself leader.
(c) He works his way up through patience and dedication.
(d) He uses force to win the position.
2. Who is Ramin?
(a) Nassrin's boyfriend.
(b) One of Nafisi's students who was executed.
(c) The name of the Iranian president.
(d) Mrs. Rezvan's son.
3. Why does Professor R. continue to participate in vigils at the University of Tehran after he resigns from his position?
(a) He wants his students to see him as a political figure and an inspiration for their own political choices.
(b) He believes that the university needed to know how strongly he felt about his actions.
(c) He wants his students to know he did not leave because he was afraid the government would persecute him.
(d) He is angry with the university's decision to change the curriculum, and wants to punish the leaders for their decision.
4. Who is Mike Gold?
(a) Nafisi's first husband and a leader in the Iranian Revolution.
(b) The editor of a radical literary journal and the subject of Nafisi's dissertation.
(c) The chair of the English Department at the University of Tehran.
(d) Nafisi's first literature student at the University of Tehran.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which former student comes to see Nafisi?
(c) Mr. Bahri.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nafisi believe is an example of a National Writer?
2. What project is Nassrin working on?
3. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
4. How does Part 3, Chapter 11 begin?
5. Who does Nafisi agree not to contact after she leaves Iran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
2. What are the similarities between the lives of the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and the lives of Nafisi's students?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why does Nafisi describe her students in such detail?
4. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
5. What are the similarities between Sanaz's experience in jail and the experience of Cincinnatus in "Invitation to a Beheading"? What are the differences between their experiences?
6. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
7. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
8. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
9. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
10. Why does Nafisi focus on Azin's painted fingernails?
This section contains 1,448 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)