|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 6, why does Nafisi join a group?
(a) To read and study classical Persian literature.
(b) To learn more about the principles of Islam.
(c) To read and study classic works of English literature.
(d) To teach classic works of English literature.
2. What game does Nafisi play when she begins wearing a black robe?
(a) She pretends that nothing has changed, and she is not wearing a robe.
(b) She pretends her whole body disappears, and she becomes invisible.
(c) She pretends she is a religious leader and has additional authority.
(d) She pretends that everyone can see her as a human being.
3. Why is Nafisi uncomfortable with Mr. Bahir's action at the end of Part 2, Chapter 6?
(a) She does not know him well and his presence feels threatening.
(b) She does not wish to shake hands with a student.
(c) His action forces her to report him to the police.
(d) By placing his hands behind his back, he negates her gesture of goodwill.
4. Whose death is announced in Part 3, Chapter 33?
(a) The death of Nafisi's mother.
(b) The death of the magician.
(c) The death of Nafisi's former student.
(d) The death of Ayatollah Khomeini.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, who asks to meet with Nafisi?
(a) Mr. Bahir.
(b) The Committee on Cultural Revolution.
(d) Mr. Nyazi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the class study of "The Great Gatsby" affect Nafisi?
2. Who delays Nafisi's expulsion from the university?
3. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
4. How does Mr. Bahir become president of the Muslim Students' Association at the University of Tehran?
5. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
2. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
3. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
4. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
5. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
6. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why does Nafisi describe her students in such detail?
7. Part 2, Chapter 11 begins with a quote from Mike Gold, "Art is useful as bread." How is this quote related to the rest of the chapter and to previous incidents in Nafisi's text?
8. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
9. What does Nafisi do during her early years as a professor at the University of Tehran?
10. What is the impact of Iran's war with Iraq?
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)