|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Forsati want to do?
(a) Marry one of Nafisi's students.
(b) Work as an official in the Iranian regime.
(c) Write a novel about life in Iran.
(d) Start a company related to videos and films.
2. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
(a) Notices about films, talks, and books.
(b) Pictures of political leaders.
(c) Political slogans.
(d) Notices about proper conduct and attire.
3. In Part 2, Chapter 14, what do the police do to the women at the protest meeting?
(a) The police arrest the women and take them all to jail.
(b) The police push the women with the butts of their guns, and order them to go home.
(c) The police protect the women who come to protest.
(d) The police stand off to one side and watch the event without participating.
4. Why does Professor R. continue to participate in vigils at the University of Tehran after he resigns from his position?
(a) He wants his students to see him as a political figure and an inspiration for their own political choices.
(b) He believes that the university needed to know how strongly he felt about his actions.
(c) He is angry with the university's decision to change the curriculum, and wants to punish the leaders for their decision.
(d) He wants his students to know he did not leave because he was afraid the government would persecute him.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Nafisi decide to cancel class?
(a) Because her students are not coming to class, and she doesn't want to teach to an empty room.
(b) So she can go to a meeting to protest the government's requirement that women wear a veil in public.
(c) So she can demonstrate against the government taking over the university.
(d) So she can have more time to read books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What right does Nafisi fantasize about being added to the Bill of Rights?
2. Who is Hojatol-Islam Ali Khamenei?
3. What does Nafisi describe in the epilogue?
4. Who is Mike Gold?
5. Why does Nafisi say that war was a blessing to some Iranians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
2. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
3. Why is Nafisi conflicted about returning to full-time teaching?
4. What does it mean to be complicit in one's own crimes?
5. What does Nafisi do during her time as a member of the Iranian Student Movement?
6. Why does Nafisi describe herself as becoming irrelevant?
7. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
8. Why does Nafisi call Catherine in "Washington Square" the inverse of our ideas about what a heroine should be?
9. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
10. Why does a university staff member describe the Ayatollah's funeral as an event?
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)