|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Nafisi get on the first day she begins teaching?
(a) An obscene message.
(b) A cup of coffee from her mother.
(c) A visit from the religious leaders.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
2. What does Nyazi consider to be a positive aspect of "The Great Gatsby"?
(a) It presents the American Dream.
(b) It exposes the immorality of American society.
(c) It provides a model of a good marriage relationship.
(d) It describes the way society should function.
3. Nafisi describes Austen as being most interested in depicting what?
(b) Social class.
4. What does Nafisi describe in the epilogue?
(a) How she made the decision to leave Iran.
(b) Her journey to America.
(c) The activities of her former students after Nafisi left Iran.
(d) The memories of her former students who were executed.
5. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
(a) She arrives safely in England.
(b) She stays in contact with Nafisi.
(c) She returns to Iran because she misses her family.
(d) She travels to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 20, what does Nassrin decide to do?
2. What is the Dear Jane Society?
3. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
4. What is a perfectly equipped failure?
5. Azin is described as having what noticeable characteristic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
2. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
3. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
4. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
5. Why does Nafisi add an epilogue to the end of the memoir?
6. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
7. What does Nafisi do during her early years as a professor at the University of Tehran?
8. What is the impact of Iran's war with Iraq?
9. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
10. Part 2, Chapter 11 begins with a quote from Mike Gold, "Art is useful as bread." How is this quote related to the rest of the chapter and to previous incidents in Nafisi's text?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)