|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
(a) To a concert by foreign musicians.
(b) To a class at a foreign university.
(c) To a screening of foreign films by a Russian director.
(d) To a meeting at the magician's house.
2. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
(a) Pictures of political leaders.
(b) Notices about proper conduct and attire.
(c) Notices about films, talks, and books.
(d) Political slogans.
3. Whose death is announced in Part 3, Chapter 33?
(a) The death of Nafisi's mother.
(b) The death of Nafisi's former student.
(c) The death of the magician.
(d) The death of Ayatollah Khomeini.
4. Why does Professor R. continue to participate in vigils at the University of Tehran after he resigns from his position?
(a) He wants his students to see him as a political figure and an inspiration for their own political choices.
(b) He wants his students to know he did not leave because he was afraid the government would persecute him.
(c) He believes that the university needed to know how strongly he felt about his actions.
(d) He is angry with the university's decision to change the curriculum, and wants to punish the leaders for their decision.
5. Why does Nafisi state it is important to introduce her students to the works of Saul Bellow?
(a) Because Bellow presents Western society as not being decadent, and Nafisi believes her students need to see Western culture as not being decadent.
(b) Because Bellow provides an aesthetic counterpoint to the limitations of Austen's novels.
(c) Because she believes her students should read more American authors.
(d) Because Bellow shows the problems and fears of the West, and Nafisi believes her students look at the West uncritically.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi include a chapter on "Washington Square"?
2. In the epilogue, Nafisi makes an allusion to which novel?
3. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
4. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
5. Why does Nafisi say that war was a blessing to some Iranians?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
2. What does the Islamist Iranian regime have in common with the theme of Fitzgerald's novel "The Great Gatsby"?
3. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
4. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
5. What are the similarities between the lives of the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" and the lives of Nafisi's students?
6. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
7. What does Nafisi mean by her statement that she "left Iran, but Iran did not leave me?"
8. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
9. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
10. What does Nafisi do during her early years as a professor at the University of Tehran?
This section contains 1,596 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)