|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
(a) Stop coming to the study club.
(b) Go to America and enroll in a university.
(c) Go to Turkey and see a man.
(d) Become a teacher.
2. Who delays Nafisi's expulsion from the university?
(a) Mr. Bahir and some of Nafisi's former students.
(b) Dr. A.
(c) Nafisi's secular colleagues.
(d) The Committee on the Cultural Revolution.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which former student comes to see Nafisi?
(a) Mr. Bahri.
4. In Part 4, Chapter 24, why do the girls have to sit in the back room of the restaurant?
(a) The girls can remove their head scarves if they sit in the back room.
(b) Only men are permitted in the main section.
(c) The cafe is too small to accommodate the large group in the front.
(d) Unaccompanied women are not allowed to sit in the main section.
5. What is the Dear Jane Society?
(a) A group of Nafisi's students who have broken up with their boyfriends.
(b) The nickname for Nafisi's students who love Jane Austen.
(c) The nickname for Nafisi's study name.
(d) A secret society Nafisi's students never actually form.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the main subject of Part 3, Chapter 27?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 6, why does Nafisi join a group?
3. In Part 3, Chapter 9, what author does Nafisi discuss with the magician?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
5. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
2. What does Nafisi mean by her statement that she "left Iran, but Iran did not leave me?"
3. How has Miss Ruhi changed since her introduction in Part 3, Chapter 14?
4. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why does Nafisi describe her students in such detail?
6. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
7. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
8. Why does Nafisi call Catherine in "Washington Square" the inverse of our ideas about what a heroine should be?
9. What does Nassrin mean when she talks about the "ordeal of freedom" in Part 4, Chapter 20?
10. How are the contemporary events in Iran similar to the events that Nafisi describes in her classroom?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)