|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ministry of Education officials ask the faculty at Nafisi's school if they thought they were in Switzerland?
(a) Because the University of Tehran is the most liberal campus in Iran, and Switzerland is the byword for Western lax and decadent behavior.
(b) Because Switzerland is the model for the type of government the Ministry of Education is trying to establish.
(c) Because the officials believe the University of Tehran is too conservative and should be more like schools in Switzerland.
(d) Because Switzerland has schools with conservative values just like the conservative values of the University of Tehran.
2. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
(a) As if she were being forced to examine herself.
(b) As if she were surrounded by her best friends.
(c) As if she were having her insides pulled out.
(d) As if she were being undressed in front of strangers.
3. Why is it so difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
(a) Students prefer to read from photocopies, not books.
(b) The bookstores are unable to order books with female characters.
(c) The bookstores are closed.
(d) The book has been banned.
4. What does Nassrin's mother teach her daughter?
5. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
(a) Fairy tales and novels both demonstrate the beauty of the natural world.
(b) Even though fairy tales have monsters, good ultimately wins over evil.
(c) Because all good novelists begin to write after reading fairy tales.
(d) All novels are stories with imaginary characters like fairy tales.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
2. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
3. Why does Nafisi's acquaintance refuse to meet with her students?
4. Where is Nafisi's apartment located?
5. In Chapter 20, Nafisi tells a story about what event that happened to Manna and Nima?
Short Essay Questions
1. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
2. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
3. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
4. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
5. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
6. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
7. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
8. Why is there a difference between the students' level of comfort in talking about themselves and their level of comfort in discussing the novels?
9. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
10. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)