|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
(a) Nafisi shows Yassi pictures of her childhood.
(b) Nafisi tells Yassi to ask her parents for assistance.
(c) Nafisi tells Yassi that she should not get married while she is young.
(d) Nafisi uses literature as a point of reference for her answer.
2. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
(b) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(c) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
(d) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 16, what are Nafisi and her male acquaintance discussing?
(a) The types of literature that should be discussed in a private study group.
(b) How life in the Islamic Republic has turned everyday activities into exciting secret missions.
(c) What happened when the University of Tehran was closed.
(d) Where to find food and books in Tehran.
4. Why does the male student have to meet with Nafisi separately?
(a) A group with men and women would arouse suspicion from the Islamist authorities.
(b) Nafisi believes that male and female students learn differently.
(c) The female students do not like having a male student in their class.
(d) His schedule does not permit him to meet with the female students.
5. Why does the professor ask Nima if his wife brainwashed him?
(a) Because the professor valued the opinions of women more than the opinions of men.
(b) Because Nima always relied on his wife to answer questions.
(c) Because the professor believed Nima's wife was a better student.
(d) Because Nima and his wife both voted against the professor's views.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
2. What does Nafisi share with her male acquaintance in Chapter 16?
3. Where is Nafisi's apartment located?
4. Why does Nafisi's apartment lack matching furniture and fancy window dressings?
5. Why is Nafisi worried about her students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
2. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
3. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
4. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
5. Why does Nassrin say she has been caught in the middle of tradition and change her entire life?
6. What is the significance of the green gate Nafisi mentions in Chapter 9?
7. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
8. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
9. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
10. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)