|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nafisi's apartment lack matching furniture and fancy window dressings?
(a) Her mother does not believe those items are appropriate for women.
(b) She is too poor to afford material possessions.
(c) She is more concerned with literature and the inner world of knowledge.
(d) Her belongings were taken by revolutionaries.
2. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
(a) One who bows to authority figures.
(b) One who molests a child.
(c) One who knowingly challenges the religious culture of the ruling party.
(d) One who lacks curiosity about other people, being only interested in his/her vision of other people.
3. What symbol does Nafisi think of when she thinks of Lolita?
(a) A helpless little girl.
(b) A butterfly pinned to the wall.
(c) A school uniform.
(d) A school report card.
4. Why was Nafisi's father arrested?
(a) He lost a great deal of money and could not pay the bills.
(b) He challenged the educational system.
(c) He ignored directions from those in higher levels of government.
(d) He was not a member of the religious community.
5. What is the best definition of Nabokov's term "poshlust"?
(a) Beauty in the midst of a brutal government regime.
(b) The use of reality to contrast with a system of barbaric ritual.
(c) The ability to remain heroic in the midst of banality and extreme brutality.
(d) Empty rituals, false importance, and the reduction of reality to banality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Negar upset?
2. Who is the villain in "Lolita"?
3. What is the main reason for Nafisi's resignation from the University of Tehran?
4. Why does Nafisi remind the students of Nabokov?
5. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
2. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
3. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
4. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
5. What does Nafisi do during her time as a member of the Iranian Student Movement?
6. How does the Iranian regime expect women to behave on the streets of Tehran?
7. Why does the magician tell Nafisi she should return to teaching?
8. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
9. In Part 3, Chapter 14, why does Nafisi describe her students in such detail?
10. What is the significance of the green gate Nafisi mentions in Chapter 9?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)