|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the closeness of the room do to Nafisi and her students?
(a) It makes them nervous and uncomfortable.
(b) It creates a false sense of security in their daily life.
(c) It prohibits them from sharing their personal thoughts.
(d) It causes them to become personal and intimate.
2. What are students at Nafisi's school regularly asked to do?
(a) Attend funerals of martyrs for the Iranian Revolution.
(b) Homework in the Persian language.
(c) Participate in a ritualistic stomping and burning the American flag while shouting "Death to America!"
(d) Bring in their friendship bracelets so that everyone has one to wear.
3. What secret does Nassrin tell Nafisi?
(a) She was leaving for America.
(b) She had been married and divorced.
(c) She had been sexually abused by her youngest uncle.
(d) She had left her family to work for an Islamist student group.
4. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
(a) Goals for the present government.
(b) Interactions between men and women.
(c) The use of literature as a teaching tool.
(d) The memory of what was real in the past and a sense of imagination about future possibilities.
5. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
(a) Nafisi uses literature as a point of reference for her answer.
(b) Nafisi tells Yassi to ask her parents for assistance.
(c) Nafisi shows Yassi pictures of her childhood.
(d) Nafisi tells Yassi that she should not get married while she is young.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol does Nafisi think of when she thinks of Lolita?
2. What object becomes popular in Iran?
3. What type of author do the students seem most interested in studying?
4. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
5. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
2. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
3. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
4. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
5. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
6. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
7. Why does Nassrin say she has been caught in the middle of tradition and change her entire life?
8. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
9. How is the generation of Nafisi's students different from the generation of Nafisi and her peers?
10. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)