|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the best definition of Nabokov's term "poshlust"?
(a) The use of reality to contrast with a system of barbaric ritual.
(b) Empty rituals, false importance, and the reduction of reality to banality.
(c) Beauty in the midst of a brutal government regime.
(d) The ability to remain heroic in the midst of banality and extreme brutality.
2. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
(b) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
(c) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(d) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
3. Who was Nafisi's father?
(a) A famous author.
(b) The director of a high school in Switzerland.
(c) The youngest mayor of Tehran in pre-revolutionary Iran.
(d) A troubled businessman.
4. How does Nafisi's acquaintance describe her students?
(a) As "pretty women."
(b) As "nice girls."
(c) As "good students."
(d) As "fine people."
5. Chapter 12 takes place during which season?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason for Nafisi's resignation from the University of Tehran?
2. What is the dream Nafisi and her students share?
3. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
4. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
5. Why does Nafisi see a parallel between Humbert and contemporary Iranian society?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
2. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
3. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
4. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
5. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
6. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
7. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
8. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
9. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
10. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)