|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By fighting off his jailors.
(b) By refusing to be like everyone else.
(c) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
(d) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
2. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
(a) One who bows to authority figures.
(b) One who knowingly challenges the religious culture of the ruling party.
(c) One who lacks curiosity about other people, being only interested in his/her vision of other people.
(d) One who molests a child.
3. What does Nafisi describe as the crux of the problem in "Lolita"?
(a) Humbert is in love with Lolita.
(b) Lolita has no other choice but to stay with Humbert.
(c) Lolita is in love with Humbert.
(d) Humbert does not understand Lolita.
4. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
(a) Yassi asks if she can live with Nafisi.
(b) Yassi asks if she is like Lolita.
(c) Yassi asks if she should go to America.
(d) Yassi asks if she should remain at the University of Tehran.
5. How does the professor solve problems of literary criticism?
(a) By finding critical essays that support his viewpoint.
(b) By asking the class to vote on matters of interpretation.
(c) By talking to his colleagues on the University faculty.
(d) By telling students that literary criticism is not important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of author do the students seem most interested in studying?
2. What does Nafisi believe is the main point of "Lolita"?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 16, what are Nafisi and her male acquaintance discussing?
4. Who was Nafisi's father?
5. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
2. Why is there a difference between the students' level of comfort in talking about themselves and their level of comfort in discussing the novels?
3. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
4. What is the significance of the green gate Nafisi mentions in Chapter 9?
5. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
6. In Part 1, Chapter 18, the room where the class meets becomes a character. How does Nafisi describe the room?
7. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
8. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
9. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
10. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)