|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nafisi see reflected in the mirror?
(a) Her students.
(c) Her husband.
(d) A hospital.
2. Why does the male student have to meet with Nafisi separately?
(a) A group with men and women would arouse suspicion from the Islamist authorities.
(b) Nafisi believes that male and female students learn differently.
(c) The female students do not like having a male student in their class.
(d) His schedule does not permit him to meet with the female students.
3. How does the professor solve problems of literary criticism?
(a) By finding critical essays that support his viewpoint.
(b) By talking to his colleagues on the University faculty.
(c) By telling students that literary criticism is not important.
(d) By asking the class to vote on matters of interpretation.
4. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
(a) To learn about religious freedom.
(b) To escape the University of Tehran.
(c) To study and discuss literature.
(d) To plan ways to join the revolution.
5. Why does the literature professor dislike Manna and Nima?
(a) They are falling in love during his class.
(b) They write papers that disagree with his views.
(c) They are not able to write well.
(d) They dislike reading the literature he assigns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
2. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
3. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
4. Why is Nafisi nervous about the intruders being in her house?
5. What is the main reason for Nafisi's resignation from the University of Tehran?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
2. In Part 1, Chapter 18, the room where the class meets becomes a character. How does Nafisi describe the room?
3. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
4. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
5. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
6. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
7. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
8. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
9. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
10. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)