|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What secret does Nassrin tell Nafisi?
(a) She had been sexually abused by her youngest uncle.
(b) She had left her family to work for an Islamist student group.
(c) She had been married and divorced.
(d) She was leaving for America.
2. How does Nafisi's acquaintance describe her students?
(a) As "good students."
(b) As "fine people."
(c) As "pretty women."
(d) As "nice girls."
3. Who demands entry into Nafisi's house?
(a) Students from Nafisi's study group.
(b) Members of the Revolutionary Committee.
(c) The ayatollahs.
(d) Nafisi's children.
4. How does Nafisi structure the first class sessions?
(a) With the students leading discussion and choosing what to read.
(b) Like a traditional literature class, with Nafisi asking questions and leading discussions.
(c) With students reading "revolutionary" authors and discussing the parallels to contemporary society.
(d) Like a lecture class, with the students taking notes on Nafisi's lectures.
5. What does Nafisi consider to be the first lesson in democracy?
(a) All individuals have the right to vote for their own leaders.
(b) All individuals have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
(c) All individuals have the right to freedom of speech.
(d) All individuals have the right to dress as they please.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
2. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
3. Why are Manna's friends reprimanded by guards?
4. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
5. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
2. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
3. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
4. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
5. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
6. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
7. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
8. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
9. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
10. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)