|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are students at Nafisi's school regularly asked to do?
(a) Homework in the Persian language.
(b) Bring in their friendship bracelets so that everyone has one to wear.
(c) Attend funerals of martyrs for the Iranian Revolution.
(d) Participate in a ritualistic stomping and burning the American flag while shouting "Death to America!"
2. Where are Nafisi's children when Chapter 19 begins?
(b) At a restaurant.
3. What is the main point of Chapter 12?
(a) To provide the reader with a sketch of the class meeting to discuss "Lolita."
(b) Copies of books are not readily available in Tehran.
(c) To provide the reader with an understanding of how "Lolita" was sold in Tehran.
(d) The students enjoy reading "Lolita."
4. Why does the male student have to meet with Nafisi separately?
(a) A group with men and women would arouse suspicion from the Islamist authorities.
(b) The female students do not like having a male student in their class.
(c) Nafisi believes that male and female students learn differently.
(d) His schedule does not permit him to meet with the female students.
5. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
(a) Yassi asks if she is like Lolita.
(b) Yassi asks if she can live with Nafisi.
(c) Yassi asks if she should go to America.
(d) Yassi asks if she should remain at the University of Tehran.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the professor solve problems of literary criticism?
2. Why does the professor ask Nima if his wife brainwashed him?
3. Why is Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading" the inspiration for Nafisi to form the study group?
4. What happens to the everyday lives of Nafisi and her students as a result of the secret class?
5. What happens to the class after they read "Madame Bovary"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
2. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
3. Why does Nassrin say she has been caught in the middle of tradition and change her entire life?
4. Why does Nafisi get upset with students in her class at Alzahrah University (Part 3, Chapter 25)?
5. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
6. Why does Nafisi think teaching "The Great Gatsby" was the right choice for that time and place?
7. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
8. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
9. Why does the magician tell Nafisi to stop blaming the Islamic Republic for all her problems?
10. What does Nafisi mean when she says that the real day of the Ayatollah's death has not yet occurred?
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)