|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Nafisi, how is Yassi like Lolita?
(a) Both girls are reflections of Nafisi's personal experiences.
(b) Both girls have been deprived of the beauty of an ordinary, everyday life.
(c) Both girls have had their lives changed by reading books.
(d) Both girls have been raped by older men.
2. What symbol does Nafisi think of when she thinks of Lolita?
(a) A helpless little girl.
(b) A school report card.
(c) A school uniform.
(d) A butterfly pinned to the wall.
3. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
(a) To create a secret language using invented words.
(b) To remember what Nafisi taught in her university classes.
(c) To analyze the types of women found in a piece of literature.
(d) To relax and enjoy reading.
4. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
(a) One who molests a child.
(b) One who bows to authority figures.
(c) One who knowingly challenges the religious culture of the ruling party.
(d) One who lacks curiosity about other people, being only interested in his/her vision of other people.
5. Why does Nafisi's acquaintance refuse to meet with her students?
(a) He is trying to minimize contact with people.
(b) He is unhappy with Nafisi teaching literature to these girls.
(c) He does not like female students.
(d) He does not want to get Nafisi in trouble with the authorities.
Short Answer Questions
1. Nassrin describes herself as being in the middle of what for her whole life?
2. What are students at Nafisi's school regularly asked to do?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 16, what are Nafisi and her male acquaintance discussing?
4. Who is the villain in "Lolita"?
5. What does Nafisi share with her male acquaintance in Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
2. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
3. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
4. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
5. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
6. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
7. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
8. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
9. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert to be a seducer of the readers of "Lolita"?
10. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)