|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the class after they read "Madame Bovary"?
(a) Some of the girls decide to leave the study group.
(b) They have a sense of shared intimacy.
(c) The girls begin to take charge of the discussion.
(d) The class agrees to meet in a local cafe.
2. What secret does Nassrin tell Nafisi?
(a) She was leaving for America.
(b) She had left her family to work for an Islamist student group.
(c) She had been sexually abused by her youngest uncle.
(d) She had been married and divorced.
3. Why does Nafisi see a parallel between Humbert and contemporary Iranian society?
(a) Because the ayatollahs also blame others and hide the truth.
(b) Because members of Iranian society would act like Humbert if they were permitted to do so.
(c) Because Humbert and the ayatollahs share similar views about sex.
(d) Because Humbert's actions would be prohibited in Iranian society.
4. Why are Nafisi and her students in the room?
(a) To demonstrate control over their own lives.
(b) To protect themselves from the reality outside.
(c) Because they have been confined by the religious patrols.
(d) Because they have nowhere else to go.
5. How does Nafisi select her students for the small study group?
(a) She chooses students who are loners or outsiders.
(b) She chooses students who can afford to pay her on a regular basis.
(c) She chooses students who earn good grades in all their classes.
(d) She chooses students who dislike the liberal qualities of the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi return to the two photographs of her students in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
3. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
5. How does Nafisi refer to her male acquaintance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
2. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
3. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
4. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
5. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
6. How does the Iranian regime expect women to behave on the streets of Tehran?
7. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
8. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
9. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
10. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)