|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the intruders to Nafisi's house go once they are in her house?
(a) To the rear balcony.
(b) To the front balcony.
(c) To the kitchen.
(d) Into the library.
2. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert, Lolita's molester, such a frightening character?
(a) Because he directly challenges the totalitarian government.
(b) Because his character causes Nafisi's students to question the role of men in their lives.
(c) Because he appears normal and ordinary in other aspects of everyday life.
(d) Because he repeatedly uses force against those who stand in his way.
3. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
(a) As if she were surrounded by her best friends.
(b) As if she were being undressed in front of strangers.
(c) As if she were being forced to examine herself.
(d) As if she were having her insides pulled out.
4. Chapter 15 presents a clear parallel between the character of Humbert and which group of people?
(a) The students in Nafisi's class.
(b) The men who the students are related to.
(c) The parents of the students in Nafisi's class.
(d) The mullahs of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
5. What does Nafisi describe as the crux of the problem in "Lolita"?
(a) Humbert does not understand Lolita.
(b) Lolita has no other choice but to stay with Humbert.
(c) Humbert is in love with Lolita.
(d) Lolita is in love with Humbert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are students at Nafisi's school regularly asked to do?
2. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, what does Nafisi ask the reader to imagine?
4. How do the Iranian authorities view the country's past?
5. According to Nafisi, how is Yassi like Lolita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
2. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
3. In Part 1, Chapter 18, the room where the class meets becomes a character. How does Nafisi describe the room?
4. Why does Nassrin say she has been caught in the middle of tradition and change her entire life?
5. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
6. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
7. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
8. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
9. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
10. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)