|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the students get enough copies of "Lolita" to study?
(a) They order copies through a local bookstore.
(b) They find one copy and pass it around until everyone has read it.
(c) They go to all of the second-hand bookstores until they find enough copies.
(d) They find one copy and photocopy it.
2. Where is Nafisi's apartment located?
(a) In the middle of a mountain range.
(b) Across from an ex-American hospital.
(c) Above a restaurant.
(d) On the campus of the University of Tehran.
3. How did Nafisi learn of her father's arrest?
(a) The government came to her house.
(b) Her father told her many years later.
(c) She was pulled out of her sophomore class in Switzerland.
(d) She heard her mother telling her sister.
4. What becomes part of the "landscape" of Nafisi's class?
(a) The oppression of the Iranian regime.
(b) The mountains in the mirror.
(c) Nafisi's life and family.
(d) The presence of the magician.
5. Why is Mashid jailed?
(a) Because she tells her parents she was translating Islamic texts into English.
(b) Because people find out she was studying literature.
(c) Because she steals flowers.
(d) Because she is associated with a dissident organization.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nafisi believe is the main point of "Lolita"?
2. How do the Iranian authorities view the country's past?
3. What does the class strive to do in their study of literature?
4. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
5. In Chapter 20, Nafisi tells a story about what event that happened to Manna and Nima?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Mr. Ghoni's statements about "Daisy Miller" in Part 3, Chapter 15, similar to Mr. Nyazi's statements in Part 3, Chapters 17 and 18, about "The Great Gatsby"?
2. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
3. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
4. What happens to Nafisi during her discussion with Mr. Bahri about wearing the veil?
5. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
6. Why does Nafisi think teaching "The Great Gatsby" was the right choice for that time and place?
7. Nafisi first mentions the magician in Part 1, Chapter 10. Why does she wait until Part 2, Chapter 20, to describe him more fully?
8. How does Nafisi react to the increase in protests, demonstrations, and violence associated with the revolution?
9. Why does Nafisi refer to the concert she attends as a parody of the real thing?
10. Why does Nafisi call Catherine in "Washington Square" the inverse of our ideas about what a heroine should be?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)