|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the intruders want access to Nafisi's house?
(a) She is able to provide them with safety.
(b) They want to see what was happening on her neighbor's property.
(c) They think she is selling and using drugs.
(d) They are searching for contraband.
2. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
(a) They hope to be invisible to the militia and arrive at their destination without confrontation.
(b) They have learned to walk with a gliding motion, barely touching the ground.
(c) Because they wear a veil, their skin is very white like a ghost.
(d) Their black clothes hide them when they are walking at night.
3. How does Nafisi's male acquaintance think he can tell a person's character?
(a) By listening to them speak.
(b) By watching them walk.
(c) By holding something they have worn.
(d) By looking at their photo.
4. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
(a) To remember what Nafisi taught in her university classes.
(b) To analyze the types of women found in a piece of literature.
(c) To create a secret language using invented words.
(d) To relax and enjoy reading.
5. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
(a) Lolita and Nafisi's students are props in someone else's quest to find the perfect image.
(b) Lolita and Nafisi's students are both stuck in the past, unable to accept present conditions.
(c) Lolita and Nafisi's students both exhibit characteristics of heroism in dealing with their past.
(d) Lolita and Nafisi's students are perfect images of the ideal woman in a totalitarian regime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi see a parallel between Humbert and contemporary Iranian society?
2. What does Nafisi's study group conclude about "Lolita"?
3. What does Nafisi believe is the main point of "Lolita"?
4. What happens to the class after they read "Madame Bovary"?
5. Chapter 12 takes place during which season?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
2. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
3. According to Nafisi, what is life like for a "normal Iranian citizen"?
4. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
5. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
6. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
7. Why does Nafisi agree with Nabokov's statement that every great novel is a fairy tale?
8. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
9. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
10. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)