|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the class strive to do in their study of literature?
(a) Discover ways to question religious authorities.
(b) Discover truths about beauty and human nature.
(c) Find answers about political ideology.
(d) Learn how to be better writers.
2. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
(a) Because they wear a veil, their skin is very white like a ghost.
(b) They have learned to walk with a gliding motion, barely touching the ground.
(c) They hope to be invisible to the militia and arrive at their destination without confrontation.
(d) Their black clothes hide them when they are walking at night.
3. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
(a) Goals for the present government.
(b) The memory of what was real in the past and a sense of imagination about future possibilities.
(c) The use of literature as a teaching tool.
(d) Interactions between men and women.
4. At the beginning of Chapter 16, what are Nafisi and her male acquaintance discussing?
(a) Where to find food and books in Tehran.
(b) The types of literature that should be discussed in a private study group.
(c) What happened when the University of Tehran was closed.
(d) How life in the Islamic Republic has turned everyday activities into exciting secret missions.
5. What is the best definition of Nabokov's term "poshlust"?
(a) Empty rituals, false importance, and the reduction of reality to banality.
(b) The ability to remain heroic in the midst of banality and extreme brutality.
(c) The use of reality to contrast with a system of barbaric ritual.
(d) Beauty in the midst of a brutal government regime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 15 presents a clear parallel between the character of Humbert and which group of people?
2. Who is the villain in "Lolita"?
3. What does Nafisi share with her male acquaintance in Chapter 16?
4. Why do the intruders want access to Nafisi's house?
5. Who is Negar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Nafisi and her students feel so strongly about Nabokov and his works?
2. How does the Iranian regime expect women to behave on the streets of Tehran?
3. Why does Nafisi refer to two photographs in the first chapter?
4. What is the significance of the green gate Nafisi mentions in Chapter 9?
5. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
6. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
7. What is the relationship between the imaginary rain shower and the meeting of Nafisi's class?
8. What is the similarity between Lolita's past and the past of Nafisi's students?
9. Why do the magician and Nafisi enjoy each other's company so much?
10. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)