|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nafisi's study group conclude about "Lolita"?
(a) She was not the victim she always claimed to be.
(b) She was a highly desirable but difficult young woman.
(c) She was the victim of two crimes, losing her life and her own life story.
(d) She was a despicable and shallow girl.
2. Why do Ministry of Education officials ask the faculty at Nafisi's school if they thought they were in Switzerland?
(a) Because Switzerland is the model for the type of government the Ministry of Education is trying to establish.
(b) Because Switzerland has schools with conservative values just like the conservative values of the University of Tehran.
(c) Because the University of Tehran is the most liberal campus in Iran, and Switzerland is the byword for Western lax and decadent behavior.
(d) Because the officials believe the University of Tehran is too conservative and should be more like schools in Switzerland.
3. At the beginning of Chapter 18, what does Nafisi ask the reader to imagine?
(a) They are at the university.
(b) They are standing on a street in Tehran.
(c) They are walking down a leafy path.
(d) They are inside her apartment.
4. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
(a) As if she were being undressed in front of strangers.
(b) As if she were being forced to examine herself.
(c) As if she were surrounded by her best friends.
(d) As if she were having her insides pulled out.
5. Who was Nafisi's father?
(a) A famous author.
(b) The director of a high school in Switzerland.
(c) The youngest mayor of Tehran in pre-revolutionary Iran.
(d) A troubled businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Nafisi and her students in the room?
2. Why are Manna's friends reprimanded by guards?
3. Why is Nafisi nervous about the intruders being in her house?
4. What object does Nafisi refer to when she first describes the students in her study group?
5. Why do the intruders want access to Nafisi's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Nafisi include Part 1, Chapter 12 in her memoir?
2. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
3. In Chapter 2, why does Nafisi describe the first meeting of the study group in present tense instead of past tense?
4. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
5. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
6. What is the role of literature in Part 1, Chapter 20?
7. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
8. How does the Iranian regime expect women to behave on the streets of Tehran?
9. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
10. What does the magician do with the photographs Nafisi shows him?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)