|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would happen if the "Blood of God" militia saw a girl with nail polish or a strand of loose hair?
(a) The militia would not permit the girl to continue studying literature.
(b) The girl would be punished and humiliated for violating laws.
(c) The girl would be beheaded as an example of an evil woman.
(d) The girl would be escorted home, where her family would forbid her to go out of the house unescorted.
2. Why is Nafisi nervous about the intruders being in her house?
(a) She hasn't cleaned the house for a religious celebration.
(b) She has young children who are afraid of guns.
(c) She has a forbidden satellite dish.
(d) She believes her neighbor will blame her for whatever happens.
3. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
(a) To create a secret language using invented words.
(b) To remember what Nafisi taught in her university classes.
(c) To analyze the types of women found in a piece of literature.
(d) To relax and enjoy reading.
4. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
(b) "Invitation to a Beheading."
(c) "A Thousand and One Nights."
5. How does Nafisi feel about revealing herself in class?
(a) As if she were having her insides pulled out.
(b) As if she were being undressed in front of strangers.
(c) As if she were surrounded by her best friends.
(d) As if she were being forced to examine herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the everyday lives of Nafisi and her students as a result of the secret class?
2. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
3. What is the main point of Chapter 12?
4. What is the main reason for Nafisi's resignation from the University of Tehran?
5. How does the professor solve problems of literary criticism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to disrupt the class discussion in Chapter 17?
2. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
3. How do the university officials react to Nafisi before and after her resignation?
4. According to Nafisi, what is life like for a "normal Iranian citizen"?
5. How is the generation of Nafisi's students different from the generation of Nafisi and her peers?
6. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
7. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
8. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
9. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
10. Why does Nafisi ask her children about their memories of Iran?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)