|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the literature professor dislike Manna and Nima?
(a) They dislike reading the literature he assigns.
(b) They are not able to write well.
(c) They are falling in love during his class.
(d) They write papers that disagree with his views.
2. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
(a) One who bows to authority figures.
(b) One who molests a child.
(c) One who lacks curiosity about other people, being only interested in his/her vision of other people.
(d) One who knowingly challenges the religious culture of the ruling party.
3. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
(b) By fighting off his jailors.
(c) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
(d) By refusing to be like everyone else.
4. Why are Manna's friends reprimanded by guards?
(a) Because they were biting apples too seductively.
(b) Because they were walking on the street.
(c) Because they were not wearing their veils.
(d) Because they were wearing makeup.
5. What type of author do the students seem most interested in studying?
(a) "Non-revolutionary" authors such as Joyce, Nabokov, Woolf, and Austin.
(b) Authors who show the benefits of a religious society.
(c) Authors who have female characters with strong opinions.
(d) "Revolutionary" authors who are tied to current political ideologies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
2. Why is Negar upset?
3. What does Nafisi describe as the crux of the problem in "Lolita"?
4. How does Nafisi refer to her male acquaintance?
5. Why was Nafisi's father arrested?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mitra and the other students find the Thursday study group to be significant?
2. Why is it difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
3. Why does Nafisi describe the three types of women portrayed in "A Thousand and One Nights"?
4. How is Professor X's method of teaching literature different than Nafisi's method of teaching literature?
5. Azin asks the group if a woman has the same right as a man to enjoy sex. Why does this question surprise the group?
6. What is the purpose of the dreams that Nafisi describes?
7. According to Vera Nabokov, what is the beauty in "Lolita" and why is it missed by critics?
8. What factors cause Nafisi to resign from her position at the university?
9. How does the Iranian regime expect women to behave on the streets of Tehran?
10. Why does Nafisi believe the scene where Humbert picked up Lolita at summer camp is the heart of Nabokov's novel?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)