|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Zarrin, when is a novel moral?
(a) When the government approves of the content.
(b) When the characters conform to moral laws and values.
(c) When the reader is able to relate to the moral choices of the characters.
(d) When it makes the reader confront the absolutes in his or her belief system.
2. What is the question Nafisi asks of all married couples?
(a) Are you still in love?
(b) Did you fall in love?
(c) Why did you get married?
(d) When did you fall in love?
3. How is Mr. Nahvi like Jane Austen's character Elizabeth Bennet?
(a) Both are members of the ruling class of society.
(b) Both are able to express their love in acceptable fashion.
(c) Both are popular with their peers.
(d) Both are obsessed with finding fault with things and people they dislike.
4. Who is Mr. Bahir?
(a) The department chair of the Language Department at the University of Tehran.
(b) A man executed for charges of being too Westernized.
(c) The owner of her favorite bookstore.
(d) One of Nafisi's students.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 4, who asks to meet with Nafisi?
(a) Mr. Bahir.
(b) Mr. Nyazi.
(c) The Committee on Cultural Revolution.
6. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
(a) The magician.
(b) Her study group.
(c) Officials at a local university.
(d) Local religious leaders.
7. Who delays Nafisi's expulsion from the university?
(a) Nafisi's secular colleagues.
(b) Dr. A.
(c) Mr. Bahir and some of Nafisi's former students.
(d) The Committee on the Cultural Revolution.
8. Who are the Mujahedeen?
(a) A radical religious organization that claims to be the spiritual and political heir of the deceased Ayatollah Taleghani.
(b) The members of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
(c) The leaders of the University of Tehran.
(d) A group called the Party of Allah.
9. In Part 4, Chapter 12, where do Nafisi and her husband go?
(a) To a lecture by a famous author.
(b) To the movies.
(c) To a cafe.
(d) To a concert.
10. What right does Nafisi fantasize about being added to the Bill of Rights?
(a) The right to free access to imagination.
(b) The right to travel in and out of Iran without fear.
(c) The right to not wear a veil or head scarf.
(d) The right to teach Western literature in Iran.
11. According to Nafisi, how can one stop "dancing with the jailer"?
(a) Become a part of the ruling party and end oppression.
(b) Find a way to preserve one's uniqueness and individuality despite opposition and persecution.
(c) Give in to the desires of the regime and follow the nation's laws.
(d) Remember that life is cyclical, and this time will end soon.
12. What is Hizbollah?
(a) The title of a religious tract that all Iranians must follow according to the regime leaders.
(b) A religious group also known as the Party of Allah, who are determined to put God's laws into practice on earth.
(c) A group of radical Muslims who murdered the Ayatollah Taleghani.
(d) The name of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
13. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
(a) She is a mentor for Iranian graduate students.
(b) She is a demonstrator against the Iranian regime.
(c) She is a teacher and writer.
(d) She is an Iranian travel guide.
14. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
(a) Notices about proper conduct and attire.
(b) Pictures of political leaders.
(c) Notices about films, talks, and books.
(d) Political slogans.
15. Why do the students begin to keep vigils at the University of Tehran?
(a) They are protesting the expulsion of their favorite professors.
(b) To encourage the government to close down the university.
(c) To prevent the university from being closed down by the government.
(d) They are tired of going to class and want to be part of the Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi say that war was a blessing to some Iranians?
2. Why does Nafisi collect pictures of martyrs during the war?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 12, why does Nafisi decide to cancel class?
4. What does Nyazi consider to be a positive aspect of "The Great Gatsby"?
5. What does the magician tell Nafisi she should do to help her students survive?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)