|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nafisi believe is an example of a National Writer?
(a) She believes Nabokov is an example of a National Writer.
(b) She believes all writers are National Writers.
(c) She believes Mark Twain is an example of a National Writer.
(d) She believes all writers are national writers, but no writer is a National Writer.
2. What question does Nafisi ask at the beginning of her first class at the University of Tehran?
(a) Why do you believe there will be a cultural revolution?
(b) Why is it important to get a college education?
(c) What did you think about the choice of books for this course?
(d) Why should anyone read fiction?
3. What political event described at the beginning of Chapter 9 sets the tone for the subsequent actions of Nafisi's students?
(a) The invasion of Iran by Iraq.
(b) The overthrow of the leadership of the University of Tehran.
(c) The student occupation of the American Embassy in Tehran.
(d) The arrest of a popular professor for refusing to follow the regime's laws.
4. In Part 2, Chapter 15, what does Dr. A. do that causes a student to honor him many years later?
(a) He teaches a class on drama and film that is the most popular class on campus.
(b) He writes a pamphlet criticizing the Iranian government, which causes students to develop independent newsletters.
(c) He resigns his position at the university to protest changes in the curriculum.
(d) He testifies in Revolutionary Court in favor of a former student, which is a dangerous action.
5. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
(a) She is a teacher and writer.
(b) She is an Iranian travel guide.
(c) She is a mentor for Iranian graduate students.
(d) She is a demonstrator against the Iranian regime.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
(a) To a meeting at the magician's house.
(b) To a screening of foreign films by a Russian director.
(c) To a class at a foreign university.
(d) To a concert by foreign musicians.
7. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what author does Mr. Ghoni use to indirectly question Nafisi?
(a) Vladimir Nabokov.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Henry James.
(d) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
8. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
(a) Local religious leaders.
(b) Her study group.
(c) Officials at a local university.
(d) The magician.
9. What activity does Nafisi do with her students to help them understand the characters in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice"?
(a) She puts the main character on trial.
(b) She asks them to write descriptions of the main characters.
(c) She takes them to a cafe.
(d) She dances with them.
10. What does the study group find disturbing about the texts written by the Ayatollah Khomeini?
(a) Manna knew they had been translated.
(b) Nassrin had read them and was talking about their contents publicly.
(c) The texts are taken seriously by rulers of the country, even though they are absurd.
(d) The texts contain blasphemy, which is against the laws of morality.
11. What does the magician tell Nafisi she should do to help her students survive?
(a) Help them regain their imagination.
(b) Help them find a good marriage.
(c) Help them leave Iran.
(d) Help them gain admission to an American college.
12. What does Nafisi notice is missing from the walls at the university?
(a) Notices about films, talks, and books.
(b) Pictures of political leaders.
(c) Political slogans.
(d) Notices about proper conduct and attire.
13. How is Mr. Nahvi like Jane Austen's character Elizabeth Bennet?
(a) Both are members of the ruling class of society.
(b) Both are popular with their peers.
(c) Both are obsessed with finding fault with things and people they dislike.
(d) Both are able to express their love in acceptable fashion.
14. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
(a) A bottle of homemade wine.
(b) A book written in English.
(c) A box of foreign chocolates.
(d) A pair of scissors shaped like a rooster.
15. In Part 3, Chapter 4, who asks to meet with Nafisi?
(a) The Committee on Cultural Revolution.
(b) Mr. Nyazi.
(d) Mr. Bahir.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Dr. Shahpour Bakhtiar?
2. Why does Nafisi form a friendship with Jeff?
3. Who is Hojatol-Islam Ali Khamenei?
4. How does Nafisi describe the Iranian perception of America?
5. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)