|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nafisi form a friendship with Jeff?
(a) They are both actively demonstrating against the Iranian government.
(b) Jeff is one of her best students, and they enjoy discussing literature together.
(c) They both enjoy having a friend who speaks English and has memories of America.
(d) Because her relationship with her husband is strained, and she is lonely.
2. Why does the government first enforce the requirement that women remain covered in workplaces and shops?
(a) Because women object to the law, and the government wants to reinforce its authority.
(b) Because women are already wearing the chador at home.
(c) Because there is no way to enforce the requirement at the university.
(d) Because the shop owners are uncomfortable serving women who are not covered.
3. What game does Nafisi play when she begins wearing a black robe?
(a) She pretends that nothing has changed, and she is not wearing a robe.
(b) She pretends that everyone can see her as a human being.
(c) She pretends she is a religious leader and has additional authority.
(d) She pretends her whole body disappears, and she becomes invisible.
4. How is Mr. Nahvi like Jane Austen's character Elizabeth Bennet?
(a) Both are able to express their love in acceptable fashion.
(b) Both are popular with their peers.
(c) Both are members of the ruling class of society.
(d) Both are obsessed with finding fault with things and people they dislike.
5. Who is Dr. Shahpour Bakhtiar?
(a) Nafisi's colleague at the University of Tehran.
(b) A nationalist leader who became prime minister in 1979.
(c) One of Nafisi's students.
(d) An Iranian intellectual who escaped to Iraq to avoid jail.
6. Who are the Mujahedeen?
(a) A radical religious organization that claims to be the spiritual and political heir of the deceased Ayatollah Taleghani.
(b) A group called the Party of Allah.
(c) The members of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
(d) The leaders of the University of Tehran.
7. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
(a) She is a demonstrator against the Iranian regime.
(b) She is a teacher and writer.
(c) She is a mentor for Iranian graduate students.
(d) She is an Iranian travel guide.
8. In Part 3, Chapter 4, who asks to meet with Nafisi?
(a) Mr. Bahir.
(b) The Committee on Cultural Revolution.
(d) Mr. Nyazi.
9. What happens to Sanaz when she is on vacation?
(a) Revolutionary Guards search the house where she is staying and take her to jail for 48 hours.
(b) She decides that she can no longer participate in the goals of the revolution.
(c) She is expelled from the university because she is in Nafisi's study group.
(d) She is kidnapped by her brother, who accuses her of being too Westernized.
10. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
(a) The magician.
(b) Her study group.
(c) Officials at a local university.
(d) Local religious leaders.
11. In Part 4, Chapter 12, where do Nafisi and her husband go?
(a) To a lecture by a famous author.
(b) To a cafe.
(c) To a concert.
(d) To the movies.
12. What is the question Nafisi asks of all married couples?
(a) Did you fall in love?
(b) When did you fall in love?
(c) Why did you get married?
(d) Are you still in love?
13. Who is Mrs. Rezvan?
(a) The wife of one of Nafisi's former students.
(b) One of Nafisi's former students.
(c) The mother of one of Nafisi's former students, who tries to get Nafisi to start a study group.
(d) A colleague of one of Nafisi's former students, who tries to get Nafisi to return to teaching.
14. In the epilogue, Nafisi makes an allusion to which novel?
(b) "Invitation to a Beheading."
(c) "Daisy Miller."
(d) "The Great Gatsby."
15. In Part 2, Chapter 15, what does Dr. A. do that causes a student to honor him many years later?
(a) He teaches a class on drama and film that is the most popular class on campus.
(b) He writes a pamphlet criticizing the Iranian government, which causes students to develop independent newsletters.
(c) He testifies in Revolutionary Court in favor of a former student, which is a dangerous action.
(d) He resigns his position at the university to protest changes in the curriculum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject do both Mike Gold and F. Scott Fitzgerald write about?
2. What does Mr. Forsati want to do?
3. What is the relationship between Nafisi and her first husband?
4. What is a perfectly equipped failure?
5. How does Nafisi feel when she hears the announcement that Iraq has attacked Iran?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)