|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 15, what does Dr. A. do that causes a student to honor him many years later?
(a) He testifies in Revolutionary Court in favor of a former student, which is a dangerous action.
(b) He writes a pamphlet criticizing the Iranian government, which causes students to develop independent newsletters.
(c) He teaches a class on drama and film that is the most popular class on campus.
(d) He resigns his position at the university to protest changes in the curriculum.
2. Who are the Mujahedeen?
(a) The leaders of the University of Tehran.
(b) A radical religious organization that claims to be the spiritual and political heir of the deceased Ayatollah Taleghani.
(c) A group called the Party of Allah.
(d) The members of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
3. To what does Manna compare her fictional self?
(a) A Rodin statue.
(b) A strong tree.
(c) A steady green light.
(d) A beautiful memory.
4. Why does Nafisi state it is important to introduce her students to the works of Saul Bellow?
(a) Because Bellow shows the problems and fears of the West, and Nafisi believes her students look at the West uncritically.
(b) Because she believes her students should read more American authors.
(c) Because Bellow provides an aesthetic counterpoint to the limitations of Austen's novels.
(d) Because Bellow presents Western society as not being decadent, and Nafisi believes her students need to see Western culture as not being decadent.
5. Who is Mrs. Rezvan?
(a) A colleague of one of Nafisi's former students, who tries to get Nafisi to return to teaching.
(b) The mother of one of Nafisi's former students, who tries to get Nafisi to start a study group.
(c) One of Nafisi's former students.
(d) The wife of one of Nafisi's former students.
6. In Part 3, Chapter 4, who asks to meet with Nafisi?
(a) Mr. Nyazi.
(b) Mr. Bahir.
(c) The Committee on Cultural Revolution.
7. What is the question Nafisi asks of all married couples?
(a) Are you still in love?
(b) Did you fall in love?
(c) When did you fall in love?
(d) Why did you get married?
8. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
(a) Laleh's decision to become a seamstress.
(b) The actions of the Committee on Cultural Revolution.
(c) Laleh's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
(d) Nafisi's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
9. Which character is the main subject of Part 3, Chapter 27?
(a) The Kid.
10. How is Nafisi's generation different from that of her students?
(a) Nafisi's generation dislike their past, while her students celebrate their past.
(b) Nafisi's generation had a past to compare to their present, while her students have no past.
(c) Nafisi's generation had no past, while her students have no future.
(d) Nafisi's generation like the events of their past, while her students dislike their past.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
(a) To a screening of foreign films by a Russian director.
(b) To a class at a foreign university.
(c) To a meeting at the magician's house.
(d) To a concert by foreign musicians.
12. Who is Dr. Shahpour Bakhtiar?
(a) Nafisi's colleague at the University of Tehran.
(b) One of Nafisi's students.
(c) A nationalist leader who became prime minister in 1979.
(d) An Iranian intellectual who escaped to Iraq to avoid jail.
13. Nafisi describes Austen as being most interested in depicting what?
(b) Social class.
14. What project is Nassrin working on?
(a) Translating English texts into Persian.
(b) Translating Islamic texts into English.
(c) Reading all the works of Islamic leaders.
(d) A thesis on the works of the Ayatollah Khomeini.
15. What does Mr. Forsati want to do?
(a) Write a novel about life in Iran.
(b) Start a company related to videos and films.
(c) Work as an official in the Iranian regime.
(d) Marry one of Nafisi's students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the magician tell Nafisi she should do to help her students survive?
2. What happens to Iranian writers and publishers during the mid-nineties?
3. What happens to Sanaz when she is on vacation?
4. Why does Yassi walk faster then suddenly stop when she is out with a gentleman caller?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 24, why do the demonstrators move toward the hospital?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)