|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Nafisi get on the first day she begins teaching?
(a) An obscene message.
(b) A bouquet of flowers.
(c) A visit from the religious leaders.
(d) A cup of coffee from her mother.
2. What question does Nafisi ask at the beginning of her first class at the University of Tehran?
(a) Why do you believe there will be a cultural revolution?
(b) Why is it important to get a college education?
(c) Why should anyone read fiction?
(d) What did you think about the choice of books for this course?
3. What is Hizbollah?
(a) The name of a radical student organization at the University of Tehran.
(b) The title of a religious tract that all Iranians must follow according to the regime leaders.
(c) A religious group also known as the Party of Allah, who are determined to put God's laws into practice on earth.
(d) A group of radical Muslims who murdered the Ayatollah Taleghani.
4. Who is Dr. Shahpour Bakhtiar?
(a) An Iranian intellectual who escaped to Iraq to avoid jail.
(b) One of Nafisi's students.
(c) A nationalist leader who became prime minister in 1979.
(d) Nafisi's colleague at the University of Tehran.
5. Who does Nafisi agree not to contact after she leaves Iran?
(b) The magician.
(d) The University of Tehran.
6. Who is Mr. Bahir?
(a) The owner of her favorite bookstore.
(b) One of Nafisi's students.
(c) The department chair of the Language Department at the University of Tehran.
(d) A man executed for charges of being too Westernized.
7. Why does Nafisi collect pictures of martyrs during the war?
(a) They are evidence that the government has committed war crimes.
(b) It is a superstitious action, a way to deal with forces outside her control.
(c) She knows many of the people who are killed and wants to have a reminder of their lives.
(d) She sees the war as a sign that she should become more religious.
8. What game does Nafisi play when she begins wearing a black robe?
(a) She pretends her whole body disappears, and she becomes invisible.
(b) She pretends that nothing has changed, and she is not wearing a robe.
(c) She pretends she is a religious leader and has additional authority.
(d) She pretends that everyone can see her as a human being.
9. What causes the Iranian regime to temporarily relax the strict enforcement of their policies?
(a) The death of the Iranian president.
(b) Opposition from members of Iranian society.
(c) Iraq's continued bombing of Iran's major cities.
(d) Pressure from Western countries.
10. What does Nafisi emphasize in the introductory course she teaches in Part 3?
(a) The ways novels present women in Western culture.
(b) The ways novels change ideas about relationships between individuals.
(c) The ways novels are similar to contemporary life.
(d) The ways novels emphasize religious and cultural values.
11. Azin is described as having what noticeable characteristic?
(a) A bright blue head scarf.
(b) Bright red fingernail polish.
(c) Long, thick brown hair.
(d) Red, pouty lips.
12. Why does Nafisi say the dream in "The Great Gatsby" is not a comment on America as a materialistic county?
(a) Because "The Great Gatsby" is about wanting to be richer than your neighbors.
(b) Because the novel does not include any rich characters.
(c) The dream represents Nick's inability to be honest as a narrator.
(d) Because the dream is about what one can become, not about money.
13. What is the question Nafisi asks of all married couples?
(a) Are you still in love?
(b) When did you fall in love?
(c) Did you fall in love?
(d) Why did you get married?
14. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
(a) She arrives safely in England.
(b) She returns to Iran because she misses her family.
(c) She travels to America.
(d) She stays in contact with Nafisi.
15. Who delays Nafisi's expulsion from the university?
(a) Dr. A.
(b) The Committee on the Cultural Revolution.
(c) Nafisi's secular colleagues.
(d) Mr. Bahir and some of Nafisi's former students.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Zarrin, when is a novel moral?
2. What gift does Mrs. Rezvan give Nafisi?
3. How does Nafisi feel when she hears the announcement that Iraq has attacked Iran?
4. What is the relationship between Nafisi and her first husband?
5. What teaching technique does Nafisi use in conjunction with the study of "The Great Gatsby"?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)