|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Nafisi consider to be the "real protagonists" in her class?
(a) Outsiders, including former students, who come because of their commitment to literature.
(b) The members of the Muslim Student Association.
(c) The young women who register for the course.
(d) The novels that are read.
2. In the epilogue, Nafisi makes an allusion to which novel?
(a) "Daisy Miller."
(b) "The Great Gatsby."
(d) "Invitation to a Beheading."
3. What is Mina's job?
4. In Part 4, Chapter 12, where do Nafisi and her husband go?
(a) To a lecture by a famous author.
(b) To a concert.
(c) To the movies.
(d) To a cafe.
5. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
(a) Tea and a box of foreign chocolates.
(b) Coffee and books.
(c) A foreign movie.
(d) Newspapers from foreign countries.
6. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
(a) Absence of beauty.
(c) Use of a flawed heroine.
(d) Sexual immorality.
7. Who does Nafisi agree not to contact after she leaves Iran?
(b) The University of Tehran.
(d) The magician.
8. What is a perfectly equipped failure?
(a) A person who consciously chooses their own failure to preserve their own sense of integrity.
(b) A person who has every advantage, yet fails to complete simple tasks.
(c) A person who gives up their own integrity, but fails to become a success.
(d) An individual who never tries to fulfill his or her potential.
9. How is Mr. Nahvi like Jane Austen's character Elizabeth Bennet?
(a) Both are members of the ruling class of society.
(b) Both are popular with their peers.
(c) Both are able to express their love in acceptable fashion.
(d) Both are obsessed with finding fault with things and people they dislike.
10. What gift does Nafisi give to the magician?
(a) A pair of scissors shaped like a rooster.
(b) A bottle of homemade wine.
(c) A book written in English.
(d) A box of foreign chocolates.
11. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
(a) Stop coming to the study club.
(b) Become a teacher.
(c) Go to America and enroll in a university.
(d) Go to Turkey and see a man.
12. Who does Nafisi meet with in Part 3, Chapter 10?
(a) The magician.
(b) Local religious leaders.
(c) Her study group.
(d) Officials at a local university.
13. In Part 3, Chapter 9, what author does Nafisi discuss with the magician?
14. Which character is the main subject of Part 3, Chapter 27?
(c) The Kid.
15. What happens to Nassrin after she leaves Iran?
(a) She stays in contact with Nafisi.
(b) She arrives safely in England.
(c) She returns to Iran because she misses her family.
(d) She travels to America.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the students begin to keep vigils at the University of Tehran?
2. What question does Nafisi ask at the beginning of her first class at the University of Tehran?
3. Why does the government first enforce the requirement that women remain covered in workplaces and shops?
4. Who does Nafisi believe is an example of a National Writer?
5. What gift does Mrs. Rezvan give Nafisi?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)