|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 3, Chapter 3, what do Laleh and Nafisi discuss at the restaurant?
(a) Nafisi's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
(b) The actions of the Committee on Cultural Revolution.
(c) Laleh's expulsion from the University of Tehran.
(d) Laleh's decision to become a seamstress.
2. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
(a) Use of a flawed heroine.
(b) Absence of beauty.
(d) Sexual immorality.
3. Who does Nafisi agree not to contact after she leaves Iran?
(c) The magician.
(d) The University of Tehran.
4. What is Nafisi's occupation after she leaves Iran?
(a) She is an Iranian travel guide.
(b) She is a teacher and writer.
(c) She is a mentor for Iranian graduate students.
(d) She is a demonstrator against the Iranian regime.
5. What does Nafisi teach during her first semester as a professor at the University of Tehran?
(a) A large seminar called Research.
(b) A large seminar using banned books.
(c) A small study group related to the works of Nabokov.
(d) Classes in English as a Second Language.
6. Which character is the main subject of Part 3, Chapter 27?
(b) The Kid.
7. What happens to Iranian writers and publishers during the mid-nineties?
(a) They are only allowed to write in Persian.
(b) They are exiled to America and other Western cultures.
(c) They are forbidden from publishing their works.
(d) They are interrogated, expelled, and sometimes killed.
8. What is the Dear Jane Society?
(a) A group of Nafisi's students who have broken up with their boyfriends.
(b) The nickname for Nafisi's students who love Jane Austen.
(c) A secret society Nafisi's students never actually form.
(d) The nickname for Nafisi's study name.
9. Azin is described as having what noticeable characteristic?
(a) Long, thick brown hair.
(b) A bright blue head scarf.
(c) Red, pouty lips.
(d) Bright red fingernail polish.
10. Who is Dr. Shahpour Bakhtiar?
(a) Nafisi's colleague at the University of Tehran.
(b) An Iranian intellectual who escaped to Iraq to avoid jail.
(c) One of Nafisi's students.
(d) A nationalist leader who became prime minister in 1979.
11. In Part 2, Chapter 15, what does Dr. A. do that causes a student to honor him many years later?
(a) He writes a pamphlet criticizing the Iranian government, which causes students to develop independent newsletters.
(b) He testifies in Revolutionary Court in favor of a former student, which is a dangerous action.
(c) He teaches a class on drama and film that is the most popular class on campus.
(d) He resigns his position at the university to protest changes in the curriculum.
12. What political event described at the beginning of Chapter 9 sets the tone for the subsequent actions of Nafisi's students?
(a) The student occupation of the American Embassy in Tehran.
(b) The arrest of a popular professor for refusing to follow the regime's laws.
(c) The overthrow of the leadership of the University of Tehran.
(d) The invasion of Iran by Iraq.
13. In Part 4, Chapter 1, what does Sanaz announce she is going to do?
(a) Stop coming to the study club.
(b) Go to Turkey and see a man.
(c) Become a teacher.
(d) Go to America and enroll in a university.
14. In Part 3, Chapter 13, what does Nafisi get on the first day she begins teaching?
(a) An obscene message.
(b) A visit from the religious leaders.
(c) A cup of coffee from her mother.
(d) A bouquet of flowers.
15. What game does Nafisi play when she begins wearing a black robe?
(a) She pretends that nothing has changed, and she is not wearing a robe.
(b) She pretends that everyone can see her as a human being.
(c) She pretends her whole body disappears, and she becomes invisible.
(d) She pretends she is a religious leader and has additional authority.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mike Gold?
2. What is the relationship between Nafisi and her first husband?
3. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
5. What is Hizbollah?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)