|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 20, Nafisi tells a story about what event that happened to Manna and Nima?
(a) They were expelled from the university.
(b) They began to become more orthodox.
(c) They realized that literature is not as important as survival.
(d) They were kicked out of the study group.
2. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
(a) Nafisi uses literature as a point of reference for her answer.
(b) Nafisi tells Yassi that she should not get married while she is young.
(c) Nafisi shows Yassi pictures of her childhood.
(d) Nafisi tells Yassi to ask her parents for assistance.
3. Why is it so difficult to find a copy of "Lolita" in Tehran?
(a) The book has been banned.
(b) Students prefer to read from photocopies, not books.
(c) The bookstores are unable to order books with female characters.
(d) The bookstores are closed.
4. What do the class members take turns doing each week?
(a) They take turns leading the group discussion.
(b) They take turns reading a published copy of "Lolita."
(c) They take turns telling their private stories.
(d) They take turns providing pastry for breaks.
5. What are students at Nafisi's school regularly asked to do?
(a) Attend funerals of martyrs for the Iranian Revolution.
(b) Bring in their friendship bracelets so that everyone has one to wear.
(c) Homework in the Persian language.
(d) Participate in a ritualistic stomping and burning the American flag while shouting "Death to America!"
6. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
(b) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
(c) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(d) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
7. Why is Negar upset?
(a) She is not allowed to console a friend who had been poorly treated at school.
(b) She is not allowed to join Nafisi's literature discussions.
(c) Her friendship bracelet has been taken away at school.
(d) She is being taken to jail for insubordination.
8. What scene opens Chapter 12?
(a) The class sitting around a table in Nafisi's apartment.
(b) Nafisi search for books in a bookstore.
(c) The members of the class arriving at Nafisi's house.
(d) Nafisi teaching a class at the University.
9. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
(a) Why does Lolita continue to stay with Humbert?
(b) Why are we reading this novel?
(c) Why do people find pleasure in reading such a horrible story?
(d) Why does Humbert try to control Lolita?
10. According to Nafisi, how is Yassi like Lolita?
(a) Both girls have had their lives changed by reading books.
(b) Both girls are reflections of Nafisi's personal experiences.
(c) Both girls have been deprived of the beauty of an ordinary, everyday life.
(d) Both girls have been raped by older men.
11. The desire for what intangible object drives Nafisi's students?
(a) The desire for beauty.
(b) The desire for justice.
(c) The desire for morality.
(d) The desire for truth.
12. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By fighting off his jailors.
(b) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
(c) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
(d) By refusing to be like everyone else.
13. What symbol does Nafisi think of when she thinks of Lolita?
(a) A school uniform.
(b) A butterfly pinned to the wall.
(c) A school report card.
(d) A helpless little girl.
14. What does Nassrin's mother teach her daughter?
15. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
(a) To relax and enjoy reading.
(b) To remember what Nafisi taught in her university classes.
(c) To analyze the types of women found in a piece of literature.
(d) To create a secret language using invented words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who demands entry into Nafisi's house?
2. Who was Nafisi's father?
3. What type of author do the students seem most interested in studying?
4. Where are Nafisi's children when Chapter 19 begins?
5. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)