|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nafisi worried about her students?
(a) Because her students show no signs of being individuals.
(b) Because the students are not interested in reading and discussing literature.
(c) She is concerned that they will be punished by their families for attending her class.
(d) She is worried that they cannot afford the flowers she expects them to bring.
2. How does Nafisi structure the first class sessions?
(a) Like a lecture class, with the students taking notes on Nafisi's lectures.
(b) Like a traditional literature class, with Nafisi asking questions and leading discussions.
(c) With the students leading discussion and choosing what to read.
(d) With students reading "revolutionary" authors and discussing the parallels to contemporary society.
3. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
(a) To study and discuss literature.
(b) To learn about religious freedom.
(c) To escape the University of Tehran.
(d) To plan ways to join the revolution.
4. Why is Negar upset?
(a) She is not allowed to console a friend who had been poorly treated at school.
(b) Her friendship bracelet has been taken away at school.
(c) She is being taken to jail for insubordination.
(d) She is not allowed to join Nafisi's literature discussions.
5. Why are Nafisi and her students in the room?
(a) To protect themselves from the reality outside.
(b) Because they have been confined by the religious patrols.
(c) Because they have nowhere else to go.
(d) To demonstrate control over their own lives.
6. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
(c) "Invitation to a Beheading."
(d) "A Thousand and One Nights."
7. When the intruders enter Nafisi's house, what happens?
(a) They take her children away.
(b) There is a gun battle with Nafisi's neighbor.
(c) They catch Nafisi and the study group reading a book.
(d) The doorbell rings.
8. Where are Nafisi's children when Chapter 19 begins?
(d) At a restaurant.
9. Why is Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading" the inspiration for Nafisi to form the study group?
(a) Nabokov symbolizes the banality of Western thought.
(b) Nafisi is inspired by Nabokov's characters who conform to totalitarian regimes.
(c) Nabokov wrote about conditions in post-revolutionary Iran.
(d) Nafisi sees connections between Nabokov's world and post-revolutionary Iran.
10. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
(a) Because all good novelists begin to write after reading fairy tales.
(b) All novels are stories with imaginary characters like fairy tales.
(c) Even though fairy tales have monsters, good ultimately wins over evil.
(d) Fairy tales and novels both demonstrate the beauty of the natural world.
11. What would happen if the "Blood of God" militia saw a girl with nail polish or a strand of loose hair?
(a) The militia would not permit the girl to continue studying literature.
(b) The girl would be beheaded as an example of an evil woman.
(c) The girl would be escorted home, where her family would forbid her to go out of the house unescorted.
(d) The girl would be punished and humiliated for violating laws.
12. What scene opens Chapter 12?
(a) The class sitting around a table in Nafisi's apartment.
(b) Nafisi teaching a class at the University.
(c) Nafisi search for books in a bookstore.
(d) The members of the class arriving at Nafisi's house.
13. What object becomes popular in Iran?
(a) A satellite dish.
(b) A mirror.
(c) Foreign language novels.
(d) The Great Gatsby.
14. How does Nafisi describe her memories?
(a) As surrounding her every day.
(b) As invaders that arrive abruptly and unexpectedly.
(c) As sweet tastes inside her head.
(d) As the barrier between her and her students.
15. The desire for what intangible object drives Nafisi's students?
(a) The desire for justice.
(b) The desire for truth.
(c) The desire for beauty.
(d) The desire for morality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the literature professor dislike Manna and Nima?
2. Why is Nafisi nervous about the intruders being in her house?
3. Why does Nafisi remind the students of Nabokov?
4. Chapter 12 takes place during which season?
5. Why are Manna's friends reprimanded by guards?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)