|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Ministry of Education officials ask the faculty at Nafisi's school if they thought they were in Switzerland?
(a) Because Switzerland has schools with conservative values just like the conservative values of the University of Tehran.
(b) Because Switzerland is the model for the type of government the Ministry of Education is trying to establish.
(c) Because the officials believe the University of Tehran is too conservative and should be more like schools in Switzerland.
(d) Because the University of Tehran is the most liberal campus in Iran, and Switzerland is the byword for Western lax and decadent behavior.
2. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
(a) Why does Lolita continue to stay with Humbert?
(b) Why do people find pleasure in reading such a horrible story?
(c) Why does Humbert try to control Lolita?
(d) Why are we reading this novel?
3. What object becomes popular in Iran?
(a) Foreign language novels.
(b) A satellite dish.
(c) The Great Gatsby.
(d) A mirror.
4. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
(a) Because they wear a veil, their skin is very white like a ghost.
(b) Their black clothes hide them when they are walking at night.
(c) They hope to be invisible to the militia and arrive at their destination without confrontation.
(d) They have learned to walk with a gliding motion, barely touching the ground.
5. What scene opens Chapter 12?
(a) The class sitting around a table in Nafisi's apartment.
(b) Nafisi search for books in a bookstore.
(c) Nafisi teaching a class at the University.
(d) The members of the class arriving at Nafisi's house.
6. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
(b) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
(c) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(d) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
7. What is the main reason for Nafisi's resignation from the University of Tehran?
(a) She isn't able to do the type of scholarship the government required.
(b) She wants to teach literature to smaller groups in private.
(c) The University of Tehran is too liberal.
(d) The governance of the University is arbitrary.
8. Why does Nafisi return to the two photographs of her students in Chapter 7?
(a) She wants to show how her students are the same people regardless of how they dress.
(b) The photographs are evidence that literature is more powerful than clothing.
(c) The photographs show how much her students changed after they studied literature.
(d) The images show the contrast between the repression of the outside world and the individuality and freedom allowed in the apartment.
9. At the beginning of Chapter 16, what are Nafisi and her male acquaintance discussing?
(a) How life in the Islamic Republic has turned everyday activities into exciting secret missions.
(b) What happened when the University of Tehran was closed.
(c) Where to find food and books in Tehran.
(d) The types of literature that should be discussed in a private study group.
10. What type of author do the students seem most interested in studying?
(a) "Non-revolutionary" authors such as Joyce, Nabokov, Woolf, and Austin.
(b) "Revolutionary" authors who are tied to current political ideologies.
(c) Authors who have female characters with strong opinions.
(d) Authors who show the benefits of a religious society.
11. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
(a) "Invitation to a Beheading."
(b) "A Thousand and One Nights."
12. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
(a) One who lacks curiosity about other people, being only interested in his/her vision of other people.
(b) One who knowingly challenges the religious culture of the ruling party.
(c) One who bows to authority figures.
(d) One who molests a child.
13. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
(a) They share a common passion for literature.
(b) They see parallels between their lives and the lives of Humbert and Lolita.
(c) They are in the same literature study group.
(d) They share a passion for the revolutionary cause.
14. Where is Nafisi's apartment located?
(a) Above a restaurant.
(b) On the campus of the University of Tehran.
(c) In the middle of a mountain range.
(d) Across from an ex-American hospital.
15. Where does Nafisi write her class notes?
(a) Lined paper tablets.
(b) Pocket calendars.
(c) Small scraps of paper.
(d) Big diaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nafisi structure the first class sessions?
2. Why does Nafisi's acquaintance refuse to meet with her students?
3. What does Nafisi share with her male acquaintance in Chapter 16?
4. What do the class members take turns doing each week?
5. Why does Nafisi see a parallel between Humbert and contemporary Iranian society?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)