|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nafisi's acquaintance describe her students?
(a) As "pretty women."
(b) As "nice girls."
(c) As "fine people."
(d) As "good students."
2. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(b) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
(c) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
(d) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
3. What does Nafisi consider to be the first lesson in democracy?
(a) All individuals have the right to vote for their own leaders.
(b) All individuals have the right to freedom of speech.
(c) All individuals have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
(d) All individuals have the right to dress as they please.
4. Where are Nafisi's children when Chapter 19 begins?
(a) At a restaurant.
5. Why does Nafisi's apartment lack matching furniture and fancy window dressings?
(a) Her belongings were taken by revolutionaries.
(b) Her mother does not believe those items are appropriate for women.
(c) She is more concerned with literature and the inner world of knowledge.
(d) She is too poor to afford material possessions.
6. Why does the male student have to meet with Nafisi separately?
(a) His schedule does not permit him to meet with the female students.
(b) A group with men and women would arouse suspicion from the Islamist authorities.
(c) Nafisi believes that male and female students learn differently.
(d) The female students do not like having a male student in their class.
7. Why does Nafisi's acquaintance refuse to meet with her students?
(a) He is unhappy with Nafisi teaching literature to these girls.
(b) He does not want to get Nafisi in trouble with the authorities.
(c) He is trying to minimize contact with people.
(d) He does not like female students.
8. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
(a) They have learned to walk with a gliding motion, barely touching the ground.
(b) Because they wear a veil, their skin is very white like a ghost.
(c) They hope to be invisible to the militia and arrive at their destination without confrontation.
(d) Their black clothes hide them when they are walking at night.
9. Why does the literature professor dislike Manna and Nima?
(a) They are falling in love during his class.
(b) They are not able to write well.
(c) They write papers that disagree with his views.
(d) They dislike reading the literature he assigns.
10. What object becomes popular in Iran?
(a) A satellite dish.
(b) The Great Gatsby.
(c) A mirror.
(d) Foreign language novels.
11. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
(b) By fighting off his jailors.
(c) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
(d) By refusing to be like everyone else.
12. Where is Nafisi's apartment located?
(a) Across from an ex-American hospital.
(b) Above a restaurant.
(c) On the campus of the University of Tehran.
(d) In the middle of a mountain range.
13. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
(a) To escape the University of Tehran.
(b) To study and discuss literature.
(c) To learn about religious freedom.
(d) To plan ways to join the revolution.
14. Why is Negar upset?
(a) She is being taken to jail for insubordination.
(b) Her friendship bracelet has been taken away at school.
(c) She is not allowed to join Nafisi's literature discussions.
(d) She is not allowed to console a friend who had been poorly treated at school.
15. Why do the intruders want access to Nafisi's house?
(a) They think she is selling and using drugs.
(b) They are searching for contraband.
(c) She is able to provide them with safety.
(d) They want to see what was happening on her neighbor's property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
2. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert, Lolita's molester, such a frightening character?
3. Who is the villain in "Lolita"?
4. Why is Nafisi nervous about the intruders being in her house?
5. What would happen if the "Blood of God" militia saw a girl with nail polish or a strand of loose hair?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)