|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4: Chapters 13 - 26.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mashid jailed?
(a) Because she is associated with a dissident organization.
(b) Because people find out she was studying literature.
(c) Because she tells her parents she was translating Islamic texts into English.
(d) Because she steals flowers.
2. What do Nafisi and the magician share on their first meeting in his apartment?
(a) Newspapers from foreign countries.
(b) Coffee and books.
(c) A foreign movie.
(d) Tea and a box of foreign chocolates.
3. Why does Nafisi state it is important to introduce her students to the works of Saul Bellow?
(a) Because Bellow shows the problems and fears of the West, and Nafisi believes her students look at the West uncritically.
(b) Because Bellow provides an aesthetic counterpoint to the limitations of Austen's novels.
(c) Because Bellow presents Western society as not being decadent, and Nafisi believes her students need to see Western culture as not being decadent.
(d) Because she believes her students should read more American authors.
4. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
(a) Even though fairy tales have monsters, good ultimately wins over evil.
(b) Fairy tales and novels both demonstrate the beauty of the natural world.
(c) All novels are stories with imaginary characters like fairy tales.
(d) Because all good novelists begin to write after reading fairy tales.
5. In Part 3, Chapter 6, why does Nafisi join a group?
(a) To learn more about the principles of Islam.
(b) To read and study classic works of English literature.
(c) To teach classic works of English literature.
(d) To read and study classical Persian literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Lolita," how does Humbert attempt to gain the reader's sympathy?
2. What does the closeness of the room do to Nafisi and her students?
3. What is the Dear Jane Society?
4. Azin is described as having what noticeable characteristic?
5. What does Nassrin's mother's teaching symbolize?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)