|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, what question does Mitra ask about "Lolita"?
(a) Why do people find pleasure in reading such a horrible story?
(b) Why does Lolita continue to stay with Humbert?
(c) Why does Humbert try to control Lolita?
(d) Why are we reading this novel?
2. What does Nafisi consider to be the first lesson in democracy?
(a) All individuals have the right to freedom of speech.
(b) All individuals have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
(c) All individuals have the right to dress as they please.
(d) All individuals have the right to vote for their own leaders.
3. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By refusing to be like everyone else.
(b) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
(c) By fighting off his jailors.
(d) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
4. Why does Nafisi remind the students of Nabokov?
(a) Because Nabokov symbolizes the kind of writer that the students want be become.
(b) Nabokov believed that a totalitarian government offered students the chance to be free.
(c) Nabokov is Nafisi's favorite author.
(d) Because Nabokov wrote in an unsettled environment like the setting the students are in.
5. Why is Mashid jailed?
(a) Because she is associated with a dissident organization.
(b) Because she steals flowers.
(c) Because she tells her parents she was translating Islamic texts into English.
(d) Because people find out she was studying literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, how does the study group define a villain?
2. How do the students get enough copies of "Lolita" to study?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Nafisi do to answer Yassi's question?
4. What does Nafisi's study group conclude about "Lolita"?
5. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)