|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 16.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nafisi doing at the beginning of Chapter 11?
(a) Looking over the class notes she kept from the study sessions.
(b) Looking at the photographs of the girls.
(c) Remembering her life as a child.
(d) Cleaning out her office at the University of Tehran.
2. The desire for what intangible object drives Nafisi's students?
(a) The desire for justice.
(b) The desire for truth.
(c) The desire for beauty.
(d) The desire for morality.
3. Why does Nafisi return to the two photographs of her students in Chapter 7?
(a) She wants to show how her students are the same people regardless of how they dress.
(b) The images show the contrast between the repression of the outside world and the individuality and freedom allowed in the apartment.
(c) The photographs show how much her students changed after they studied literature.
(d) The photographs are evidence that literature is more powerful than clothing.
4. What object does Nafisi refer to when she first describes the students in her study group?
(a) A photograph.
(b) A veil.
(d) Her apartment.
5. Why is Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading" the inspiration for Nafisi to form the study group?
(a) Nafisi sees connections between Nabokov's world and post-revolutionary Iran.
(b) Nafisi is inspired by Nabokov's characters who conform to totalitarian regimes.
(c) Nabokov symbolizes the banality of Western thought.
(d) Nabokov wrote about conditions in post-revolutionary Iran.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
2. Where does Nafisi write her class notes?
3. What symbol does Nafisi think of when she thinks of Lolita?
4. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
5. What is the first assignment for the students in the study group?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)