|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
(a) She gives each student a nickname based on their favorite book.
(b) She describes the students as a group so the reader understands the importance of community.
(c) She shows the photograph that was taken of the group of students.
(d) She describes the arrival of each student on the first day of class.
2. How does Nafisi structure the first class sessions?
(a) Like a traditional literature class, with Nafisi asking questions and leading discussions.
(b) Like a lecture class, with the students taking notes on Nafisi's lectures.
(c) With students reading "revolutionary" authors and discussing the parallels to contemporary society.
(d) With the students leading discussion and choosing what to read.
3. Why does Nafisi remind the students of Nabokov?
(a) Because Nabokov symbolizes the kind of writer that the students want be become.
(b) Nabokov is Nafisi's favorite author.
(c) Because Nabokov wrote in an unsettled environment like the setting the students are in.
(d) Nabokov believed that a totalitarian government offered students the chance to be free.
4. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
(a) The memory of what was real in the past and a sense of imagination about future possibilities.
(b) The use of literature as a teaching tool.
(c) Goals for the present government.
(d) Interactions between men and women.
5. What does the class strive to do in their study of literature?
(a) Discover ways to question religious authorities.
(b) Discover truths about beauty and human nature.
(c) Learn how to be better writers.
(d) Find answers about political ideology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
2. Why does Nafisi consider Humbert, Lolita's molester, such a frightening character?
3. Chapter 12 takes place during which season?
4. According to Nafisi, how is the character of Lolita like Nafisi's students?
5. What scene opens Chapter 12?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)