|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the male student have to meet with Nafisi separately?
(a) Nafisi believes that male and female students learn differently.
(b) A group with men and women would arouse suspicion from the Islamist authorities.
(c) His schedule does not permit him to meet with the female students.
(d) The female students do not like having a male student in their class.
2. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
(a) Because they wear a veil, their skin is very white like a ghost.
(b) Their black clothes hide them when they are walking at night.
(c) They hope to be invisible to the militia and arrive at their destination without confrontation.
(d) They have learned to walk with a gliding motion, barely touching the ground.
3. Why is Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading" the inspiration for Nafisi to form the study group?
(a) Nafisi is inspired by Nabokov's characters who conform to totalitarian regimes.
(b) Nabokov symbolizes the banality of Western thought.
(c) Nabokov wrote about conditions in post-revolutionary Iran.
(d) Nafisi sees connections between Nabokov's world and post-revolutionary Iran.
4. Why does Nafisi's apartment lack matching furniture and fancy window dressings?
(a) She is more concerned with literature and the inner world of knowledge.
(b) She is too poor to afford material possessions.
(c) Her mother does not believe those items are appropriate for women.
(d) Her belongings were taken by revolutionaries.
5. Why is Mashid jailed?
(a) Because she is associated with a dissident organization.
(b) Because she tells her parents she was translating Islamic texts into English.
(c) Because she steals flowers.
(d) Because people find out she was studying literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
2. Why does Nafisi return to the two photographs of her students in Chapter 7?
3. What would happen if the "Blood of God" militia saw a girl with nail polish or a strand of loose hair?
4. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)