|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1: Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the students meet in Nafisi's apartment?
(a) To study and discuss literature.
(b) To escape the University of Tehran.
(c) To learn about religious freedom.
(d) To plan ways to join the revolution.
2. Why is Nabokov's "Invitation to a Beheading" the inspiration for Nafisi to form the study group?
(a) Nafisi sees connections between Nabokov's world and post-revolutionary Iran.
(b) Nabokov symbolizes the banality of Western thought.
(c) Nafisi is inspired by Nabokov's characters who conform to totalitarian regimes.
(d) Nabokov wrote about conditions in post-revolutionary Iran.
3. How does Nabokov's character Cincinnatus C. become a hero?
(a) By rescuing those who are falsely imprisoned.
(b) By fighting off his jailors.
(c) By giving in to the requirements of the government.
(d) By refusing to be like everyone else.
4. What is the first work Nafisi and her students in the study group discuss?
(a) "A Thousand and One Nights."
(d) "Invitation to a Beheading."
5. What is the best definition of Nabokov's term "poshlust"?
(a) Beauty in the midst of a brutal government regime.
(b) The ability to remain heroic in the midst of banality and extreme brutality.
(c) The use of reality to contrast with a system of barbaric ritual.
(d) Empty rituals, false importance, and the reduction of reality to banality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nafisi's apartment lack matching furniture and fancy window dressings?
2. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
3. Why does Nafisi return to the two photographs of her students in Chapter 7?
4. According to Nafisi, how is Yassi like Lolita?
5. Why does Nafisi remind the students of Nabokov?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)