|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapters 23 - 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Manna and Nima to fall in love?
(a) They share a common passion for literature.
(b) They see parallels between their lives and the lives of Humbert and Lolita.
(c) They share a passion for the revolutionary cause.
(d) They are in the same literature study group.
2. In Part 3, Chapter 14, which former student comes to see Nafisi?
(d) Mr. Bahri.
3. What does Nafisi describe as "the most unforgivable crime in fiction"?
(a) Absence of beauty.
(b) Use of a flawed heroine.
(c) Sexual immorality.
4. Who is Mike Gold?
(a) The editor of a radical literary journal and the subject of Nafisi's dissertation.
(b) Nafisi's first literature student at the University of Tehran.
(c) The chair of the English Department at the University of Tehran.
(d) Nafisi's first husband and a leader in the Iranian Revolution.
5. In Part 2, Chapter 14, what do the police do to the women at the protest meeting?
(a) The police push the women with the butts of their guns, and order them to go home.
(b) The police stand off to one side and watch the event without participating.
(c) The police protect the women who come to protest.
(d) The police arrest the women and take them all to jail.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nabokov say that every great novel is a fairy tale?
2. In Part 3, Chapter 19, where does Nafisi go?
3. How does Nafisi introduce the reader to the students in her class?
4. What happens to the class after they read "Madame Bovary"?
5. What are the biggest threats to an idealized vision of an individual or a country?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)