|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3: Chapters 23 - 31.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What political event described at the beginning of Chapter 9 sets the tone for the subsequent actions of Nafisi's students?
(a) The student occupation of the American Embassy in Tehran.
(b) The arrest of a popular professor for refusing to follow the regime's laws.
(c) The invasion of Iran by Iraq.
(d) The overthrow of the leadership of the University of Tehran.
2. Why is Negar upset?
(a) She is being taken to jail for insubordination.
(b) She is not allowed to join Nafisi's literature discussions.
(c) Her friendship bracelet has been taken away at school.
(d) She is not allowed to console a friend who had been poorly treated at school.
3. In Part 3, Chapter 14, what author does Mr. Ghoni use to indirectly question Nafisi?
(a) Henry James.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) F. Scott Fitzgerald.
(d) Vladimir Nabokov.
4. How does the class study of "The Great Gatsby" affect Nafisi?
(a) She becomes sad, because her students do not enjoy the novel.
(b) She learns that she is really an American, not an Iranian.
(c) She discovers that she loves teaching revolutionary novels.
(d) She gains insight into her feelings and desires about her work and the meaning of literature in her life.
5. Why does the government first enforce the requirement that women remain covered in workplaces and shops?
(a) Because women are already wearing the chador at home.
(b) Because the shop owners are uncomfortable serving women who are not covered.
(c) Because women object to the law, and the government wants to reinforce its authority.
(d) Because there is no way to enforce the requirement at the university.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Yassi ask Nafisi ?
2. Why are Nafisi's students like ghosts when they are walking through the streets of Tehran?
3. What object becomes popular in Iran?
4. What happens to the class after they read "Madame Bovary"?
5. How does Nafisi feel when she hears the announcement that Iraq has attacked Iran?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)