|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the plump defendant identify as writing the SS report?
(a) A guard.
(b) The commander.
2. What is Hanna's answer to the judge's question, "why did you not unlock the doors?"
(a) "We didn't know how."
(b) "We didn't have a key."
(c) "We didn't know it was locked."
(d) "We didn't have any alternative."
3. How long will the court (including the prosecution, defense, and judge) be in the new location?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Five days.
4. What does Michael wear?
(a) A school uniform.
(b) A workman's uniform.
(c) Jeans and button-down shirts.
(d) Well-cut suits handed down from a rich uncle.
5. What illness does the narrator suffer from in Chapter 1?
(b) Liver disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what book is the class translating?
2. What does Michael notice on Hanna's shoulder?
3. What does Michael learn from the citizens' registration office?
4. In what month do the relocated trials take place?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 13, the trials move to a new location. Where does the trial take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hanna's bold and unconventional move during the trial, as outlined in Chapter 6.
2. What does Michael do in the weeks after he and Hanna have their first fight?
3. Describe Michael's feelings about his last years in school and his first years in university, as he relates them in Part 2, Chapter 1.
4. Describe what happened the night the church was bombed, as explained in Chapter 8,
5. Describe Michael's classroom and classmates as they are presented in Chapter 13.
6. Describe Michael's daydreams from Chapter 13.
7. How does Michael justify thinking of Hanna as a horse in Chapter 14?
8. What does the narrator's mother assume he would do at the end of Chapter 1, after the narrator is diagnosed with hepatitis?
9. Describe the lines of reasoning the defendants (including Hanna) give for not unlocking the church doors, as explained in Chapter 9.
10. How does the narrator find the courage to return to Frau Schmitz's apartment?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)