|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Hanna to say she wrote the report?
(a) The prosectuor wants to administer a handwriting test.
(b) The prosecutor wants to call the survivors as witnesses.
(c) The prosecutor identifies her as being the only one available.
(d) The prosecutor makes her admit it.
2. What does the man in charge of the streetcar company tell Michael?
(a) That Hanna told him she would not be coming back to work.
(b) That Hanna never worked for him.
(c) That Hanna had asked for a promotion.
(d) That Hanna never picked up her last check.
3. During what month does the narrator get ill on the street?
4. How does the narrator describe being ill in the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) An enchanted interlude.
(b) The worst time in life.
(c) A depressing time.
(d) A lucky break.
5. In Chapter 15, what does Sophie ask Michael?
(a) If he is lying to her about where he is.
(b) If he is still ill, and if that is the reason why he comes and goes as he pleases.
(c) If he is in love with her.
(d) If he would like to have a relationship with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the feeling he gets from his father regarding their family?
2. What is the first article of clothing Frau Schmitz puts on to get ready to leave the apartment in Chapter 4?
3. Where is Hanna from?
4. How old is Hanna, and when did she join the SS, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. What is unusual about Michael's father's relationship with his children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michael's feelings about his last years in school and his first years in university, as he relates them in Part 2, Chapter 1.
2. How does Michael "betray" Hanna, as he explains in Chapter 15?
3. Describe the five defendants' roles, and their involvement in the crimes that brought them to the trial, as described in Part 2, Chapter 5.
4. Describe the only time Michael sees Hanna by chance, in Chapter 16.
5. Describe Hanna's lawyer from Part 2, Chapter 3.
6. What does the narrator's mother assume he would do at the end of Chapter 1, after the narrator is diagnosed with hepatitis?
7. Describe what happened the night the church was bombed, as explained in Chapter 8,
8. What does Michael do, in Chapter 17, when he realizes Hanna has disappeared?
9. How does Michael justify thinking of Hanna as a horse in Chapter 14?
10. Describe the memory the narrator discusses in Chapter 7, when he is four years old. Why is it significant?
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)