|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what does Sophie ask Michael?
(a) If he would like to have a relationship with her.
(b) If he is in love with her.
(c) If he is lying to her about where he is.
(d) If he is still ill, and if that is the reason why he comes and goes as he pleases.
2. What color is Frau Schmitz's hair?
(c) Dark brown.
3. What is the girl's name who sits next to Michael in their class?
4. What is the narrator carrying to give to Frau Schmitz in Chapter 3?
(a) A letter.
(b) A bunch of flowers.
(c) A box of chocolates.
(d) A book.
5. What play did Michael and Hanna see at the theater?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Intrigues and Love.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first article of clothing Frau Schmitz puts on to get ready to leave the apartment in Chapter 4?
2. How does the narrator describe being ill in the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What lie does Hanna tell to Michael in Chapter 11?
4. How do the other defense attorneys deal with Hanna's admissions?
5. What is the cause of the first fight between Hanna and Michael?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the building on Bahnhofstrasse.
2. Describe the five defendants' roles, and their involvement in the crimes that brought them to the trial, as described in Part 2, Chapter 5.
3. Describe the only time Michael sees Hanna by chance, in Chapter 16.
4. Describe the memory the narrator discusses in Chapter 7, when he is four years old. Why is it significant?
5. Describe Michael's daydreams from Chapter 13.
6. What makes Frau (Hanna) Schmitz so angry in Chapter 8?
7. As described in Chapter 10, where is Michael when he has an epiphany about Hanna? What is the epiphany, and how does Michael realize it?
8. At the end of Chapter 11, what are the comparisons Michael makes to his predicament with the trial?
9. Describe the encounter between Frau Schmitz and the narrator in Chapter 6.
10. Why is the narrator unable to take his eyes off of Frau Schmitz?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)