|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michael feel he "betrays" Hanna?
(a) By telling his family about her.
(b) By telling his friends about her.
(c) By lying to her.
(d) By not telling anyone about her.
2. What does Michael steal for Hanna while at the department store with his sister?
(a) A pair of stockings.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A silk scarf.
(d) A silk nightgown.
3. What illness does the narrator suffer from in Chapter 1?
(b) Liver disease.
4. In Chapter 16, what does Hanna want to do instead of reading?
(a) She wants to go to the movies.
(b) She wants to go to a fancy dinner.
(c) She wants to ride bicylces.
(d) She wants to bathe Michael.
5. Where do the trials take place?
(a) In another town, five hours away.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In another town, an hour away.
(d) In Berlin, Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Hanna from?
2. What happens on the day in July when Michael leaves a pool party to be with Hanna?
3. In what language does Michael have to read the survivor's book?
4. How old is Hanna, and when did she join the SS, as described in Part 2, Chapter 3?
5. One of the main charges in the case involved a bombing; where was the bombing? Who survived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happened the night the church was bombed, as explained in Chapter 8,
2. How does Michael "betray" Hanna, as he explains in Chapter 15?
3. Describe Hanna's bold and unconventional move during the trial, as outlined in Chapter 6.
4. Describe Michael's daydreams from Chapter 13.
5. What does Michael do in the weeks after he and Hanna have their first fight?
6. Describe the building on Bahnhofstrasse.
7. Describe the lines of reasoning the defendants (including Hanna) give for not unlocking the church doors, as explained in Chapter 9.
8. Describe the only time Michael sees Hanna by chance, in Chapter 16.
9. What does the narrator's mother assume he would do at the end of Chapter 1, after the narrator is diagnosed with hepatitis?
10. What does Michael do while staying home alone during the last week of vacation, in Chapter 12?
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)