|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the daughter want to keep?
(a) The letter from Hanna.
(b) Half of the money.
(c) Michael's tapes.
(d) The tea tin.
2. From whom does Michael receive a letter in Chapter 7?
(a) His father.
(b) His daughter.
(c) The prison warden.
(d) His old professor.
3. How does Hanna address Michael?
(a) "Mr. Berg."
(c) "My love."
4. Who does Michael go to see in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 16?
(b) The judge.
(d) His father.
5. How does Hanna die?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She dies of fever.
(c) She cuts her wrists.
(d) She dies of a heart attack.
6. What does Michael decide to do after Hanna's death?
(a) Kill himself.
(b) Become a successful lawyer.
(c) Go back to Gertrud.
(d) Write the story of Hanna and him.
7. What is Hanna's sentence?
(a) Life in prison.
(c) She is acquitted of all charges.
(d) 25 years in prison.
8. What does Michael notice about Hanna's subsequent notes?
(a) She writes him love letters.
(b) She writes him angry letters.
(c) The handwriting stays the same.
(d) The handwriting changes.
9. What does Michael ask himself, sometimes, after Hanna's death?
(a) If he loved her enough.
(b) If she deserved it.
(c) If he was responsible.
(d) If he could have reduced her sentence.
10. To whom does Hanna want her money to be given?
(a) Michael's family.
(b) The daughter who survived the church fire.
(d) A charity.
11. In Part 3, Chapter 1, where does Michael move during the summer after the trial?
(a) Into a rented room.
(c) Into his parents house.
(d) Into the hospital.
12. How old is Michael's daughter when he and his wife divorce?
13. What does Michael's wife say about his choice of job?
(a) It is an escape from the realities of life.
(b) It is a noble pursuit.
(c) It is an escape to get past the memory of Hanna.
(d) It is a rewarding position.
14. What can the dead do, according to Hanna?
(a) They can understand.
(b) They can torment you.
(c) They can be happy.
(d) They can be at peace.
15. What has Michael noticed about Hanna's voice at the end of Part 3, Chapter 9?
(a) It sounds like music.
(b) It has stayed young.
(c) It is harsh and ragged.
(d) She is barely audible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What familiar feeling does Michael get again in Part 3, Chapter 9?
2. What is the daughter like?
3. In Part 2, Chapter 16, what does Michael tell himself he has to do regarding the trial?
4. In Part 3, Chapter 4, what does Michael deem "the most grotesque oversimplification of all"?
5. According to the prison warden, once Hanna learned to read, what did she request?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)