|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Michael get to his destination in Chapter 14?
(a) He goes on a bicycle trip.
(b) He hitches a ride to Schirmeck.
(c) He flies.
(d) He takes a train to Alsace.
2. What happens to the Michael's professor who gives the concentration camp seminar?
(a) He finds new evidence for Hanna's trial.
(b) He dies.
(c) He convinces Michael to divorce.
(d) He becomes ill.
3. What does Michael record, at first?
(a) Tapes of himself reading Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Songs for Hanna.
(c) Tapes of himself reading the Odyssey.
(d) Movies on television.
4. How does Michael feel at the end of Part 2, Chapter 16?
5. Where does Michael spend the summer after the trial?
(a) In the reading room of the university library.
(b) With Sophie in France.
(c) Visiting his parents.
(d) In a mental institution.
6. As of Part 3, Chapter 7, how long has Hanna been in prison?
(a) 14 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 18 years.
(d) 10 years.
7. What time of year does Michael revisit his destination from Part 2, Chapter 14?
8. What familiar feeling does Michael get again in Part 3, Chapter 9?
(a) That he has betrayed Hanna and owes her.
(b) That he is numb.
(c) That he is a fool.
(d) That he is in love with Hanna.
9. How does Michael make a quick exit at the end of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) He jumps onto a passing streetcar.
(b) He jumps into a moving car.
(c) He rides away on a bicycle.
(d) He ducks into a church.
10. In Part 3, Chapter 1, where does Michael move during the summer after the trial?
(b) Into a rented room.
(c) Into the hospital.
(d) Into his parents house.
11. What invitation does Michael accept during Christmas vacation?
(a) An invitation to stay with Hanna's relatives.
(b) An invitation to America.
(c) An invitation on a ski trip with other students.
(d) An invitation to study at a prestigious university.
12. Who does Michael defend in Part 2, Chapter 15?
(b) An old man with a wooden leg.
(c) A driver who gave him a ride.
13. Where does Michael send the tapes and recorder?
(a) To Sophie in the hospital.
(b) To his parents.
(c) To Hanna in prison.
(d) To Gertrud.
14. How does Hanna die?
(a) She hangs herself.
(b) She cuts her wrists.
(c) She dies of fever.
(d) She dies of a heart attack.
15. What does Michael's wife say about his choice of job?
(a) It is a rewarding position.
(b) It is an escape from the realities of life.
(c) It is an escape to get past the memory of Hanna.
(d) It is a noble pursuit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael feel upon reading the note?
2. Where does "the daughter" live?
3. What is Michael's daughter's name?
4. When could Michael finally carry out Hanna's instructions for her money?
5. Why does Michael say "there's no need to talk"?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)