|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 16, what does Michael say he couldn't "make himself do"?
(a) Visit Hanna.
(b) Talk to the judge.
(c) Visit Sophie.
(d) Talk to his father.
2. What does Michael feel the notebook is testament to?
(a) "A great and fundamental confidence in bourgeois culture."
(b) "A great and fundemental confidence in the law."
(c) "My love for Hanna."
(d) "The truth as I believe it."
3. How much time passes before Michael receives a note from Hanna?
(a) Four years.
(b) Five years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) One year.
4. What does Michael think Hanna smells like, while sitting with her on the bench?
(b) A chid.
(c) Fresh flowers.
(d) An old woman.
5. What is Hanna's sentence?
(b) 25 years in prison.
(c) She is acquitted of all charges.
(d) Life in prison.
6. What illness afflicts Michael during his vacation?
(c) High fever.
7. Who does Michael defend in Part 2, Chapter 15?
(a) A driver who gave him a ride.
(d) An old man with a wooden leg.
8. Why does the prison warden tell Michael she is nervous?
(a) She thinks Hanna is not prepared to be released.
(b) She thinks Hanna's clemency will be revoked.
(c) Hanna refused to go outside before she was released.
(d) Hanna has gotten very ill.
9. When does Michael say "all this happened"?
(a) Long ago.
(b) Five years ago.
(c) Ten years ago.
(d) Twenty years ago.
10. What does the prison warden show Michael when he visits the prison after learning Hanna has died?
(a) Hanna's letter to him.
(b) Hanna's medical record.
(c) The prison hospital.
(d) Hanna's cell.
11. What are some things Michael does to prepare for Hanna?
(a) He buries himself in his work.
(b) He buys her lots of books.
(c) He gets her an apartment and a job.
(d) He tries to make as much money as he could.
12. Why does Michael marry his wife?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She promises him a happy life.
(d) She looks like Hanna.
13. What is Hanna wearing for the sentencing?
(a) A navy blue suit.
(b) A red suit and white blouse.
(c) A black suit and white blouse.
(d) A dress.
14. What can the dead do, according to Hanna?
(a) They can understand.
(b) They can be at peace.
(c) They can torment you.
(d) They can be happy.
15. What does the daughter want Michael to do with the money?
(a) Deposit the money in her account.
(b) Give it to her children.
(c) Find a Jewish illiteracy fund, and donate it.
(d) Keep it for himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael discover amongst Hanna's newspaper clippings?
2. Where does Michael travel to in Part 3, Chapter 11?
3. What does Michael feel upon reading the note?
4. What is Michael paying attention to during his discussion in Part 2, Chapter 16?
5. Where does "the daughter" live?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)