|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part 2, Chapter 14, who says "executioners don't hate the people they execute, and they execute them all the same"?
(a) The driver to Schirmeck.
(c) The conductor on the train to Alsace.
(d) Michael's father.
2. What does Michael say that illiteracy is?
3. How do many of the spectators feel about Hanna's behavior?
(a) The feel the other defendants deserved the same sentence as Hanna.
(b) They feel saddened with the verdict.
(c) They feel she was ridiculing the trial and verdict.
(d) They feel sorry for her.
4. How does Michael feel at the end of Part 2, Chapter 16?
5. Why does Michael tell Hanna he is proud of her?
(a) Because she looks exactly the same.
(b) Because she was very strong throughout her ordeal.
(c) Because he had learned so much from her.
(d) Because she learned to read.
6. What does Michael believe the person from the cemetery will ask him about the trial?
(a) Why he never came to hear the verdict.
(b) Why he seemed so distant during the trials.
(c) What was going on between him and the defendant, Hanna.
(d) Why he was never late.
7. What time of year does Michael revisit his destination from Part 2, Chapter 14?
8. Who does Michael go to see in the beginning of Part 2, Chapter 16?
(c) His father.
(d) The judge.
9. What does the prison warden show Michael when he visits the prison after learning Hanna has died?
(a) Hanna's letter to him.
(b) Hanna's medical record.
(c) The prison hospital.
(d) Hanna's cell.
10. What happens to the Michael's professor who gives the concentration camp seminar?
(a) He becomes ill.
(b) He finds new evidence for Hanna's trial.
(c) He dies.
(d) He convinces Michael to divorce.
11. How much money does Hanna leave for Michael to handle?
(b) The contents of the tea tin and 7,000 marks in the bank.
(c) The contents of the tea tin and 20,000 marks in the bank.
(d) The contents of the tea tin and 10,000 marks in the bank.
12. At the end of Part 3, Chapter 1, to what does Michael equate his love for Hanna?
(a) The fate of life in prison.
(b) The fate of his generation.
(c) The fate of death.
(d) The fate of his life.
13. What is the first thing Michael notices about Hanna when he sees her in Part 3, Chapter 8?
(a) She has never looked so small.
(b) She has aged and gained weight.
(c) She looks like his mother.
(d) She looks exactly the same.
14. In Part 2, Chapter 16, what does Michael tell himself he has to do regarding the trial?
(a) Prevent a miscarriage of justice.
(b) Prevent himself from failing law school.
(c) Prevent Hanna from going to jail.
(d) Prevent his father from dying.
15. What does Michael notice about the note, upon first glance?
(a) The bright pink letters.
(b) The childish handwriting.
(c) The perfumed paper.
(d) The carelessness with which it was written.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Michael feel upon reading the note?
2. In the beginning of Part 3, Chapter 7, what does Michael say he had never thought about at the time?
3. How old is Michael's daughter when he and his wife divorce?
4. To whom does Michael give Hanna's money?
5. What does Michael notice about Hanna's subsequent notes?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)