|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael find in the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Hanna's apartment has been demolished.
(b) Hanna has disappeared.
(c) A letter from Hanna.
(d) Hanna's apartment has new inhabitants.
2. What does Michael notice on Hanna's shoulder?
(a) A scar.
(b) A birthmark.
(c) A burn.
(d) A boil.
3. What is Hanna's answer to the judge's question, "why did you not unlock the doors?"
(a) "We didn't know how."
(b) "We didn't know it was locked."
(c) "We didn't have any alternative."
(d) "We didn't have a key."
4. Why does Frau Schmitz laugh at the narrator in Chapter 6?
(a) He is covered in black dust from the coal in the cellar.
(b) He ran away.
(c) He is wearing childish clothing.
(d) He doesn't know where the cellar is.
5. What does the owner of the apartment building tell Michael?
(a) Hanna has moved out.
(b) Hanna has died.
(c) Hanna is in jail.
(d) Hanna is in the hospital.
6. What is the cause of the first fight between Hanna and Michael?
(a) He boards the streetcar, and Hanna doesn't come to the car he's sitting in.
(b) She tells him she cannot see him again.
(c) He misses the streetcar stop where he is supposed to meet Hanna.
(d) His family forbids him to talk to her.
7. In what language does Michael have to read the survivor's book?
8. How do the other defense attorneys deal with Hanna's admissions?
(a) They try to incriminate a different defendant.
(b) They try to cast doubt on the survivor's testimony.
(c) They try to claim their clients were never there.
(d) They try to exonerate their clients and incriminate Hanna.
9. What does Michael plan to do while the trials are in another location?
(a) He plans to spend time with his family.
(b) He plans to devote the time to his studies.
(c) He plans to spend time with Sophie.
(d) He plans to go along with the rest of the court.
10. Where did Hanna serve?
(a) Only at Struthof-Natzweiler.
(b) At Auschwitz and a small camp near Cracow.
(c) Only at Auschwitz.
(d) At Auschwitz and a small camp near Berlin.
11. What does Michael steal for Hanna while at the department store with his sister?
(a) A pair of stockings.
(b) A sweater.
(c) A silk scarf.
(d) A silk nightgown.
12. What is the first story Michael reads to Hanna?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Emilia Galotti.
(c) Intrigues and Love.
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
13. In Chapter 14, what animal does Michael tell Hanna she looks like?
(a) A toad.
(b) A lion.
(c) A bird.
(d) A horse.
14. What is one of the narrator's first memories of childhood?
(a) Being read to by his father.
(b) Being walked to school by his mother every day.
(c) Being washed and dressed by his mother in front of the stove.
(d) Being hurt and neglected.
15. How long will the court (including the prosecution, defense, and judge) be in the new location?
(a) Five days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) Two weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hanna do to Michael when he returns to their hotel room in Chapter 11?
2. While wandering in the woods, what is Michael's epiphany?
3. In Chapter 13, what book is the class translating?
4. When is the indictment read?
5. On what street does the narrator live?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)