|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
(a) They did not receive the gifts they hoped for.
(b) The hope of peace and ecstasy fades away.
(c) The Christmas feast is not as big as usual.
(d) Their father is not home.
2. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(b) She will marry Anton.
(c) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(d) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
3. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
4. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
5. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
(a) Theatre, music, and love
(b) Poetry, books and learning
(c) Farming, gardening, and teaching
(d) Music, men, and college
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
2. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
3. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
4. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
5. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
2. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
3. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
4. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
5. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
6. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
7. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
8. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
9. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
10. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)