|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
(a) Because she has to homeschool her siblings
(b) Because she has to cook every meal
(c) Because she has to take three of the six children to school
(d) Because she has to wash everyone's clothes
2. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(b) She is afraid of what she might do.
(c) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
(d) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
3. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother is a lost soul.
(b) Her mother lost her independence.
(c) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
(d) Her mother never became the person she could be.
4. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) As if half alive
(b) Spending time with friends
(c) Going to church every day
(d) Praying for his safe return
5. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(b) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(c) She misses him.
(d) She found a new lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
2. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
3. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
4. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
5. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
2. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
3. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
4. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
5. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
6. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
7. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
8. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
9. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
10. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)