|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The Phillips boys
(b) The vicar's children
(c) The Phillips girls
(d) The schoolteacher
2. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
(b) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
(c) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
3. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Mr. Phillips
4. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
(a) The hope of peace and ecstasy fades away.
(b) Their father is not home.
(c) The Christmas feast is not as big as usual.
(d) They did not receive the gifts they hoped for.
5. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
(b) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
(c) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(d) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
2. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
3. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
4. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
5. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
2. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
3. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
4. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
6. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
7. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
8. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
9. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
10. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)