|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Mr. Phillips
(b) Miss Inger
(c) Mr. Morton
(d) Miss Jenny
2. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She feels guilty and sinful.
(b) She is strong and sure of herself.
(c) She is timid and unsure.
(d) She is critical and angry with herself.
3. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) A villa in Beldover
(b) In the back of a large church
(c) A flat in Nottingham
(d) In a collier's cottage
4. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
(a) Her quest for complete independence
(b) She wants to make her father proud.
(c) She is competing with Gudrun.
(d) It keeps her mind off Anton.
5. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He might have to go to war in South Africa.
(c) He doesn't want to see her anymore.
(d) He wants to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
2. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
3. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
4. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
5. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
2. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
3. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
4. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
5. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
6. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
7. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
8. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
9. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
10. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)