|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
(a) A café in Nottingham
(b) A bungalow on the Soar
(c) A play in London
(d) An opera in Cossethay
2. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
(a) She feels free, proud and joyful.
(b) She is afraid to start over.
(c) She is sorry to leave.
(d) She is depressed about leaving.
3. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(a) An electric warmth
4. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(b) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(c) Depend upon the people around you.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
5. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will marry Anton.
(b) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(c) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(d) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
2. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
3. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
4. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
5. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
2. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
3. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
4. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
5. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
6. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
7. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
8. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
9. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
10. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)