|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) College is drudgery.
(b) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(c) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(d) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
2. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They swim in the lake.
(b) They have tea and discuss literature.
(c) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
(d) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
3. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) Fred Brangwen's wedding
(b) A letter from Gudrun
(c) An invitation from Anna
(d) He misses Ursula
4. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
(a) Mr. Harby's attitude and philosophy
(b) Teaching methods and recreation
(c) Women's suffrage, ideas and life
(d) The school children and teachers
5. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
2. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
3. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
4. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
5. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
2. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
3. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
4. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
5. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
6. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
7. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
8. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
9. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
10. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)