|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A Bible
(b) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
(c) A new pen
(d) A dictionary
2. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
(a) To know that her grandmother loves her
(b) To know she can have all the sweets she wants
(c) To know her own importance within all those who lived before her
(d) To know she will get anything she wants from her grandmother
3. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
(a) It is the joy of reaching heaven.
(b) It becomes a mechanical action without real meaning.
(c) It is inspirational and fulfilling.
(d) It is a constant source of hope.
4. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) They will have more money.
(b) He will be happier.
(c) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(d) He finally will be something socially.
5. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
(a) She canes the insolent students.
(b) She is outgoing and friendly
(c) She offers extra help to students.
(d) She reasons with the offending students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
2. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
3. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
4. What does Fred do after his father's death?
5. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
2. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
3. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
4. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
5. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
6. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
7. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
8. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
9. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
10. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)