|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She misses him.
(b) She found a new lover.
(c) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(d) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
2. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
(a) It is to be strictly followed.
(b) It is just a collection of stories.
(c) It is not to be taken literally.
(d) It is to be taken literally.
3. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
(a) She feels it is necessary.
(b) She feels it is unnatural and stupid.
(c) She thinks it is a wonderful opportunity for children
(d) She thinks it is useful in the world.
4. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(b) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(c) Will there be another crucifixion?
(d) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
5. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Mr. Phillips
(d) Miss Jenny
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
2. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
3. Why does Maggie feel betrayed when Ursula spends time with Anthony?
4. What type of child is Gudrun?
5. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
2. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
3. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
4. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
5. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
6. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
7. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
8. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
9. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
10. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)