|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
(a) She says that she has missed him.
(b) She tells him to leave her alone.
(c) She says that of course she likes him.
(d) She tells him that she loves him.
2. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In the back of a large church
(b) A villa in Beldover
(c) In a collier's cottage
(d) A flat in Nottingham
3. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
(a) The intimacy of Anna and William
(b) All their belongings are in place
(c) Their stuffed animals are in their beds
(d) Their books are in the bookcase
4. What is Ursula's first impression of Mr. Skrebensky?
(a) He is worried about what others think of him.
(b) He is sure of himself.
(c) He is a buffoon.
(d) He is timid.
5. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She misses him.
(b) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(c) She found a new lover.
(d) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
2. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
3. Where does Anna send Ursula and Gudrun when the pettiness of the village children begins to bother them?
4. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
5. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
2. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
3. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
4. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
5. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
6. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
7. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
8. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
9. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
10. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)