|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
(a) It becomes a mechanical action without real meaning.
(b) It is inspirational and fulfilling.
(c) It is a constant source of hope.
(d) It is the joy of reaching heaven.
2. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Be responsible for everyone around you.
(b) Depend upon the people around you.
(c) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(d) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
3. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) She hates her mother.
(b) She asks him to forgive her
(c) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(d) She hates her siblings
4. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As an empowered woman
(b) As a free spirit
(c) As a slave to him
(d) As her own being
5. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) A villa in Beldover
(b) A flat in Nottingham
(c) In the back of a large church
(d) In a collier's cottage
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
2. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
3. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
4. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
5. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
2. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
3. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
4. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
5. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
6. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
7. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
8. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
9. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
10. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)