|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(b) She asks him to forgive her
(c) She hates her siblings
(d) She hates her mother.
2. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(b) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(c) She will marry Anton.
(d) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
3. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
(a) Who will she marry?
(b) What will she do with her life?
(c) Will she be a good wife?
(d) How many children will she have?
4. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
(b) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
(c) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
5. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) College is drudgery.
(b) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(c) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(d) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
2. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
3. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
4. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
5. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
2. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
3. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
4. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
5. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
6. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
7. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
8. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
9. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
10. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)