|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(b) She will keep a strict classroom.
(c) She will remain distant from the children.
(d) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
2. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She climbs over a fence.
(b) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(c) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(d) She runs to the gate.
3. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
(a) It is to be strictly followed.
(b) It is just a collection of stories.
(c) It is to be taken literally.
(d) It is not to be taken literally.
4. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
(b) They swim in the lake.
(c) They have tea and discuss literature.
(d) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
5. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
2. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
3. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
4. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
5. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
2. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
3. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
4. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
5. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
6. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
7. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
8. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
9. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
10. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)