|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In a collier's cottage
(b) A villa in Beldover
(c) In the back of a large church
(d) A flat in Nottingham
2. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(b) Each man lives for his own family
(c) Each man lives for personal wealth
(d) Each man lives for himself
3. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) She is as excited as the first day of college
(b) She thinks college is a sham.
(c) College is the reality of life.
(d) Her studies are the truth of life.
4. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(b) Those who have died never rise again.
(c) Those who have died are corrupted.
(d) Those who have died are bodiless.
5. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As an empowered woman
(b) As her own being
(c) As a free spirit
(d) As a slave to him
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
2. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
3. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
4. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
5. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
2. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
3. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
4. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
5. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
6. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
7. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
8. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
9. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
10. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)