|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) She learns from them.
(b) She loves them both.
(c) They repulse her.
(d) They inspire her.
2. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
3. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
(a) She wishes she didn't have to take swimming.
(b) She wishes she were a better swimmer.
(c) She wants to touch her and feel her.
(d) She wishes her mistress would swim with someone else.
4. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
5. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(b) An electric warmth
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
2. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
3. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
4. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
5. What is Anton really feeling as he says goodbye to Ursula when he goes off to war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
2. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
3. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
4. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
5. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
6. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
7. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
8. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
9. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
10. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)