|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ursula's first impression of Mr. Skrebensky?
(a) He is timid.
(b) He is sure of himself.
(c) He is a buffoon.
(d) He is worried about what others think of him.
2. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
(b) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
(c) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
3. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(b) College is drudgery.
(c) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(d) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
4. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Will there be another crucifixion?
(b) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(c) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(d) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
5. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A dictionary
(b) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
(c) A Bible
(d) A new pen
Short Answer Questions
1. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
2. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
3. Why does Maggie feel betrayed when Ursula spends time with Anthony?
4. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
5. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
2. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
3. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
4. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
5. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
6. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
7. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
8. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
9. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
10. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)