|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
(b) Her mother says that it will never happen.
(c) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(d) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
2. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(b) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
(c) College is drudgery.
(d) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
3. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) Praying for his safe return
(b) As if half alive
(c) Spending time with friends
(d) Going to church every day
4. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
(b) They are friendly and happy.
(c) They are crude and angry.
(d) They seem like creatures without hope.
5. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Mr. Morton
(b) Miss Jenny
(c) Miss Inger
(d) Mr. Phillips
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
2. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
3. What is Ursula's first impression of Mr. Skrebensky?
4. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
5. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
2. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
3. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
4. What are Lydia Brangwen's hopes after Tom dies and she sees the troubles of her sons?
5. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
6. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
7. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
8. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
9. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
10. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)