|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
(a) She is so confused and emotional.
(b) She doesn't want to face adulthood.
(c) She is worried about her studies.
(d) She doesn't want to leave her family.
2. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) Men do not love, only dominate
(b) A woman can love only one man
(c) There are many men to love, not just one
(d) No one is ever really in love
3. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
4. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Destroy his being
(b) Insult his beliefs
(c) Dominate him
(d) Leave him for someone else
5. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
(a) To know she can have all the sweets she wants
(b) To know that her grandmother loves her
(c) To know her own importance within all those who lived before her
(d) To know she will get anything she wants from her grandmother
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
2. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
3. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
4. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
5. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
2. Explain why Ursula keeps up with her studies, despite the dreary work.
3. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
4. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
5. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
6. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
7. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
8. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
9. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
10. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)