|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
2. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is realistic.
(b) She is violent.
(c) She is not trustworthy.
(d) She lives in a fantasy world.
3. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(b) She hates her mother.
(c) She asks him to forgive her
(d) She hates her siblings
4. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Mr. Phillips
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Miss Inger
5. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for his own family
(b) Each man lives for personal wealth
(c) Each man lives for himself
(d) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
2. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
3. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
4. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
5. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
2. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
3. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
4. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
5. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
6. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
7. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
8. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
9. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
10. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)