|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he had no heirs
(b) Because he died old and alone
(c) Because he had a poor childhood
(d) Because he died young, scarcely living
2. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Mr. Phillips
(b) Miss Jenny
(c) Miss Inger
(d) Mr. Morton
3. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
(a) Her father demands that she work.
(b) Her mother forces her to pay board.
(c) She wants to have full rights in the working world.
(d) She needs to support herself.
4. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) She is a traveler.
(b) He demeans her.
(c) He irritates her.
(d) She thinks he is crude.
5. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He might have to go to war in South Africa.
(c) He doesn't want to see her anymore.
(d) He wants to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
2. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
3. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
4. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
5. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
2. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
3. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
4. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
5. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
6. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
7. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
8. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
9. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
10. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)