|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother lost her independence.
(b) Her mother never became the person she could be.
(c) Her mother is a lost soul.
(d) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
2. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died never rise again.
(b) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(c) Those who have died are bodiless.
(d) Those who have died are corrupted.
3. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) No one is ever really in love
(b) Men do not love, only dominate
(c) A woman can love only one man
(d) There are many men to love, not just one
4. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
(a) To know she will get anything she wants from her grandmother
(b) To know that her grandmother loves her
(c) To know she can have all the sweets she wants
(d) To know her own importance within all those who lived before her
5. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is timid and unsure.
(b) She is strong and sure of herself.
(c) She feels guilty and sinful.
(d) She is critical and angry with herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
2. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
3. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
4. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
5. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
2. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
3. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
4. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
5. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
6. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
7. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
8. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
9. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
10. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)