|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
(b) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
(c) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(d) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
2. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he died young, scarcely living
(b) Because he had no heirs
(c) Because he had a poor childhood
(d) Because he died old and alone
3. What is Anton really feeling as he says goodbye to Ursula when he goes off to war?
(a) He will miss her desperately.
(b) He is relieved to be leaving her.
(c) He is looking forward to meeting other women.
(d) He doesn't want to leave.
4. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
5. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As an empowered woman
(b) As her own being
(c) As a slave to him
(d) As a free spirit
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
2. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
3. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
4. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
5. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Ursula feels about her fellow teachers on her last day at the St. Philip's School.
2. Summarize the decision Ursula makes as she is recovering from her miscarriage.
3. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
4. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
5. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
6. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
7. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
8. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
9. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
10. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)