|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She is afraid of what she might do.
(b) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(c) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
(d) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
2. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(b) Depend upon the people around you.
(c) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
3. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
(a) Music, men, and college
(b) Theatre, music, and love
(c) Farming, gardening, and teaching
(d) Poetry, books and learning
4. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
(b) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
(c) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(d) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
5. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) As if half alive
(b) Going to church every day
(c) Praying for his safe return
(d) Spending time with friends
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
2. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
3. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
4. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
5. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
2. Compare the temperaments of Gudrun and Theresa Brangwen.
3. What is Ursula's reason for refusing the marriage proposal from Anthony?
4. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
5. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
6. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
7. How do the Brangwen children adapt to their new home?
8. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
9. Describe the relationship between Ursula and Anton Skrebensky when he visits Marsh farm.
10. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)