|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
(b) Lydia does not want him ever again.
(c) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(d) He wants to be with other women.
2. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of praying
(b) After three days of working in the fields
(c) After three days of silence and solitude
(d) After three days of constant brandy drinking
3. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(b) She decides to move back to Poland.
(c) She falls in love with the vicar.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
4. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(b) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(c) He hopes to make her a lady.
(d) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
5. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
(a) The vicar's daughter
(c) Tilly's sister
(d) The Polish widow, Mrs. Lensky
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
2. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
3. How does Anna get along with other children?
4. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
5. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
2. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
3. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
4. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
5. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
6. Describe Ursula's view of the coal miners when she and Winifred go to visit her Uncle Tom in Wiggiston.
7. Describe the events that lead up to Ursula's love affair with Miss Inger.
8. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
9. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
10. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)