|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(b) He is rough and cruel to her.
(c) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(d) He is indifferent to his new wife.
2. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Thames
(b) Lincoln Cathedral
(c) The Tower of London
(d) Westminster Abbey
3. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
(a) He knows he is limited and unfulfilled.
(b) He doesn't have enough to do.
(c) He knows he will never be close to Ursula.
(d) He fears the will of God.
4. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
(a) She is in awe, but prefers the freedom of the sky.
(b) She feels God is alive at the altar.
(c) She wants to remain in its confines forever.
(d) She finally agrees with William's passion for the church.
5. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) Candlesticks with carved flowers
(b) A jewelry box carved with birds
(c) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(d) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
Short Answer Questions
1. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
2. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
3. Who invites Anna and William to visit them in Briswell?
4. How does Tom feel about his new son?
5. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
2. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
3. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
4. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
5. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
6. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
7. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
8. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
9. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
10. What pains Tom as he stands at the altar at Anna's wedding?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)