|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(b) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
(c) Because he objects to her antics
(d) Because he is irritated with her
2. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
(b) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
(c) He is the happiest he has ever been.
(d) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
3. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(b) She is happy to have a father.
(c) She accepts Tom immediately.
(d) She is angry, wanting to move away.
4. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(b) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(c) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(d) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
5. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
(a) How old she is
(b) If she would like to go to the tea shop with him
(c) If she has a husband
(d) If she goes to college
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
2. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
3. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
4. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
5. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain William's relationship with Ursula after the birth of Gudrun.
2. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
3. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
6. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
7. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
8. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
9. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
10. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)