|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She tells him to get out.
(b) She is afraid of him.
(c) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(d) She ignores him completely.
2. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(b) He takes her to her mother.
(c) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(d) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
3. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
(a) How old she is
(b) If she has a husband
(c) If she goes to college
(d) If she would like to go to the tea shop with him
4. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She screams hysterically.
(b) She kicks and screams.
(c) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
(d) She becomes quiet and still.
5. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
(a) Go on with life by yourself
(b) No one can be happy alone.
(c) Everyone needs other people
(d) Be happy to have a wife to go through life with
Short Answer Questions
1. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
2. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
3. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
4. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
5. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
2. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
3. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
4. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
5. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
6. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
7. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
8. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
9. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
10. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)