|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Will react to Anna's preparations for a tea party?
(a) He is glad to be back in the world.
(b) He is excited, helping with the cleaning.
(c) He can't wait to see other people.
(d) He is angry, retreating into blackness.
2. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
(d) She still resents him.
3. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
(a) Everyone needs other people
(b) Go on with life by yourself
(c) No one can be happy alone.
(d) Be happy to have a wife to go through life with
4. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
(a) His gray haired wife, shooing the owls away
(b) Rotted timbers that need to be replaced
(c) His thirteen year old dog, dead in the hay
(d) Anna and Will in each other's arms, kissing
5. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Visiting her parents
(b) Going to church
(c) Being a mother
(d) Being a wife
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
2. How does Tom feel about his new son?
3. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
4. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
5. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
2. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
3. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
4. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
5. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
6. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
7. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
8. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
9. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
10. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)