|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He reads throughout the night.
(b) He works day and night.
(c) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(d) He spends all his time at the bar.
2. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
(b) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(c) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(d) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
3. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(d) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
4. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(b) He hopes to make her a lady.
(c) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(d) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
5. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
(a) They go to another room, so they won't hear the singing.
(b) They look out the window and join in the singing.
(c) They become angry, wishing the men would leave.
(d) They hold each other close, no longer hearing the voices.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
2. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
3. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
4. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
5. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
2. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
3. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
4. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
5. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
6. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
7. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
8. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
9. Explain William's relationship with Ursula after the birth of Gudrun.
10. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)