|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
(a) She finally agrees with William's passion for the church.
(b) She is in awe, but prefers the freedom of the sky.
(c) She feels God is alive at the altar.
(d) She wants to remain in its confines forever.
2. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Visiting her parents
(b) Going to church
(c) Being a wife
(d) Being a mother
3. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(b) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(c) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(d) He is rough and cruel to her.
4. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Thames
(b) The Tower of London
(c) Westminster Abbey
(d) Lincoln Cathedral
5. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
(a) His thirteen year old dog, dead in the hay
(b) Rotted timbers that need to be replaced
(c) His gray haired wife, shooing the owls away
(d) Anna and Will in each other's arms, kissing
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
2. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
3. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
4. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
5. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
4. Summarize Ursula's attitude and duties as the eldest child of Anna and William Brangwen.
5. What is the response Anton gives to Ursula when she tells him she does not want to get married?
6. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
7. Describe the temperament of Tom Brangwen's son, Tom.
8. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
9. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
10. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)