|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
2. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
(a) It is full of love and conflict.
(b) It is an equal partnership.
(c) It is full of humor and longing.
(d) It is carefree and loving.
3. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
(b) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(c) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(d) To the pub for drinks
4. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
(b) She still resents him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
5. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(b) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(c) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(d) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
2. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
3. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
4. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
5. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
2. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
3. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
4. What does Ursula decide Winifred should do after they are no longer lovers?
5. Summarize the effect Ursula has on Anton as they make love in the cornstacks.
6. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
7. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
8. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
9. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
10. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)