|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
(b) A jewelry box carved with birds
(c) Candlesticks with carved flowers
(d) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
2. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes to make her a lady.
(b) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(c) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(d) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
3. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He is too devout.
(b) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(c) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(d) He does not care about mankind.
4. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(b) Because he objects to her antics
(c) Because he is irritated with her
(d) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
5. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(b) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(c) He is content with his way of life.
(d) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
2. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
3. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
4. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
5. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
2. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
3. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
4. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
5. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
6. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
7. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
8. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
9. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
10. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)