|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(b) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
(c) She is arrogant. He is humble.
(d) She is the storm. He is the calm.
2. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
(b) She is always singing and sewing.
(c) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
(d) She is spending more time with Tom.
3. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She becomes quiet and still.
(b) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
(c) She screams hysterically.
(d) She kicks and screams.
4. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
(a) Go on with life by yourself
(b) Everyone needs other people
(c) Be happy to have a wife to go through life with
(d) No one can be happy alone.
5. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(b) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(c) He hopes to make her a lady.
(d) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
2. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
3. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
4. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
5. What type of child is Gudrun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
2. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
3. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
4. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
5. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
6. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
7. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
8. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
9. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
10. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)