|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna get along with other children?
(a) She dominates them, feeling they are inferior.
(b) She gets along with everyone.
(c) She sees them as equals and has many friends.
(d) She loves being around other children.
2. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) At the start of the war
(b) When she marries Paul Lensky
(c) When she becomes a nurse
(d) After her two children die of diphtheria
3. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
(b) He takes her to her mother.
(c) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(d) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
4. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to obey her father.
(b) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(c) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(d) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
5. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks if he can court Anna.
(b) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
(c) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) He asks if he can work on the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
2. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
3. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
4. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
5. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
2. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
3. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
4. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
5. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
6. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
7. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
8. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
9. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
10. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)