|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
(a) He goes for long walks.
(b) He carves wood.
(c) He visits his local church which he loves.
(d) He rides his horse through the country side.
2. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(b) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(c) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
(d) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
3. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(b) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(c) She learned to obey her father.
(d) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
4. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(b) She finds him annoying.
(c) She finds him stupid and useless.
(d) She is indifferent to him.
5. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
(a) She is destroying another one of his illusions.
(b) She insults his carving abilities as she looks at the carvings in the church.
(c) She is more passionate about the cathedral than he is.
(d) She tells him he will never be awed as she is with the cathedral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
2. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
3. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
4. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
5. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
2. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
3. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
4. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
5. Explain William's relationship with Ursula after the birth of Gudrun.
6. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
7. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
8. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
9. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
10. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)