|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to have a horse race.
(b) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(c) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
(d) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
2. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
(b) He is the happiest he has ever been.
(c) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
(d) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
3. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
(a) He walks with her.
(b) He has an intellectual conversation with her.
(c) He kisses and caresses her, hoping to take her.
(d) He dances with her.
4. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
(b) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(c) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(d) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
5. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
(a) Anna forces him to sleep alone.
(b) He forces Anna to sleep in another room.
(c) He leaves Anna for two weeks.
(d) He goes to church every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
2. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
3. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
4. What type of child is Gudrun?
5. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
2. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
3. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
4. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
5. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
6. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
7. Describe Anna's emotions as her parents build a life together.
8. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
9. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
10. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)