Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
(a) She tells him he will never be awed as she is with the cathedral.
(b) She is more passionate about the cathedral than he is.
(c) She insults his carving abilities as she looks at the carvings in the church.
(d) She is destroying another one of his illusions.
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
(a) A traditional Polish couple
(b) The obedience of Polish citizens
(c) The new movement begun in Russia
(d) The joys of marriage
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(b) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(c) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(d) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
(a) When she is with her baby sister
(b) When her mother is in the house
(c) When her father returns home
(d) When the whole family gathers at the table
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
2. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
3. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
4. How does Anna get along with other children?
5. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the circumstances of Tom Brangwen's death.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
4. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
5. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
6. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
7. Describe Anna's thoughts about William's new job and their moving away from Cossethay.
8. Describe the most important thing Tom Brangwen gives to Lydia during their marriage.
9. Explain the realization that Ursula comes to as she passes from childhood into womanhood.
10. Why doesn't Mr. Harby, the schoolmaster, like Ursula Brangwen?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)