|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She accepts Tom immediately.
(b) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(c) She is angry, wanting to move away.
(d) She is happy to have a father.
2. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They realize they do not belong together.
(b) They find they will never know one another.
(c) They discover they do not love one another.
(d) They find fulfillment in each other.
3. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
(b) She becomes silent and distant.
(c) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(d) She is full of life and laughter.
4. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) She is indifferent to him.
(b) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(c) She finds him stupid and useless.
(d) She finds him annoying.
5. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
(a) It is full of love and conflict.
(b) It is carefree and loving.
(c) It is full of humor and longing.
(d) It is an equal partnership.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
2. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
3. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
4. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
5. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
2. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
3. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
4. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
5. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
6. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
7. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
8. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
9. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
10. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)