|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She still resents him.
(c) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(d) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
2. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him on the road near his house.
(b) She meets him at the market.
(c) She meets him at church.
(d) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
3. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
4. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(d) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
5. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
(a) They would feel less intimidated.
(b) They would be heavy, uninspired, and hateful.
(c) They would feel more at ease in public.
(d) They would feel more successful with their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
2. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
3. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
4. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
5. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
2. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
3. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
4. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
5. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
6. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
7. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
8. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
9. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
10. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)