|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
(a) He dances with her.
(b) He walks with her.
(c) He kisses and caresses her, hoping to take her.
(d) He has an intellectual conversation with her.
2. Who invites Anna and William to visit them in Briswell?
(a) Paul Lensky
(b) Frank Brangwen
(c) Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent
(d) Alfred Brangwen
3. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his absolute.
(b) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(c) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(d) The cathedral is his reality.
4. Who tries to comfort William when the stress of four children becomes a heavy burden for him?
5. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is rough and cruel to her.
(b) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(c) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(d) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
3. How does Will react to Anna's preparations for a tea party?
4. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
5. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the toast Tom gives at Anna's wedding party?
2. How does William react when he sees Anna dancing naked in the bedroom?
3. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
4. Explain the relationship between Lydia and Tom after two years of marriage.
5. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
6. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
7. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
8. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
9. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
10. What pains Tom as he stands at the altar at Anna's wedding?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)