|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Lydia Brangwen
(b) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(c) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(d) Anna and William
2. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(d) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
3. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is the best reader in the class.
(b) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(c) He is above average in all his studies
(d) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
4. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
(b) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(c) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(d) To the pub for drinks
5. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
(a) She feels ugly and inferior.
(b) She is nervous and self-conscious.
(c) She is embarrassed by her father's crassness.
(d) She is ecstatic, feeling lovely and flamboyant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
2. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
3. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
4. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
5. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
2. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
3. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
4. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
5. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
6. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
7. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
8. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
9. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
10. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)