|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Anna and William
(b) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(c) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(d) Lydia Brangwen
2. What does Anna find refreshing about the Skrebensky's relationship?
(a) They smile at one another intimately.
(b) They are free in their isolation and detachment from one another.
(c) They are as one person, totally involved with each other.
(d) They always hold hands.
3. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
(b) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(c) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(d) She learned to obey her father.
4. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(b) William won't let Anna go to church.
(c) William dislikes Anna's father.
(d) Anna complains about money.
5. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(b) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(c) He is the best reader in the class.
(d) He is above average in all his studies
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
2. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
3. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
4. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
5. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. After a few weeks living at home, how does Ursula view her mother's life?
2. Summarize Ursula's emotional state when she moves back home after passing her matriculation examination.
3. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
4. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
5. How does Ursula's original joy about college change as she prepares for her final examination?
6. Describe the impression Anna has of Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent with regard to their relationship.
7. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
8. What is the reason that Ursula becomes defiant and mistrustful?
9. As Ursula continues to teach, how does her attitude toward education change?
10. Describe what becomes of Lydia's first two children while she is living in Poland with her husband Paul.
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)