|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(b) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(c) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(d) He hopes to make her a lady.
2. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He works day and night.
(b) He reads throughout the night.
(c) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(d) He spends all his time at the bar.
3. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
4. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
(a) He goes for long walks.
(b) He visits his local church which he loves.
(c) He rides his horse through the country side.
(d) He carves wood.
5. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
(a) The new movement begun in Russia
(b) A traditional Polish couple
(c) The joys of marriage
(d) The obedience of Polish citizens
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
3. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
4. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
5. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
2. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
3. Compare the way Anna and William view Lincoln Cathedral as they walk through the doors.
4. Are Anna and William satisfied with their lives?
5. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
6. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
7. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
8. Explain how Lydia rises out of her darkness and indifference to make a new life for herself.
9. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
10. Compare Tom's feeling toward his newborn son and his stepdaughter, Anna?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)