|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
(a) What gift can he get for Anna?
(b) Will the baby bring them together?
(c) How can he be nicer to Anna?
(d) Why can't he leave her?
2. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(b) He is rough and cruel to her.
(c) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(d) He is indifferent to his new wife.
3. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him at church.
(b) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
(c) She meets him at the market.
(d) She meets him on the road near his house.
4. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Tower of London
(b) Westminster Abbey
(c) Lincoln Cathedral
(d) The Thames
5. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
(a) She wishes William was more dominant.
(b) She wishes she and William were closer.
(c) She wants to be as one person with William.
(d) She wants her own life, not absorbed by William.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Will react to Anna's preparations for a tea party?
2. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
3. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
4. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
5. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
2. Describe the woman Tom Brangwen decides to marry.
3. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
4. Explain what William asks the girl sitting next to him at the Empire, and what they do together.
5. How does Tom manage to calm Anna down when she constantly screams for her mother while Lydia is in labor?
6. Describe the situation that hardens Ursula to the outside world.
7. Explain how Anna views her relationship with her cousin, William.
8. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
9. Explain how the Brangwens come into more money as they live on the Marsh farm.
10. Why do eleven of the men from the wedding party go to Anna and William's cottage?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)