|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
(b) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
(c) He is the happiest he has ever been.
(d) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
2. How does Anna react to her parent's relationship?
(a) She finds peace and can be a child now.
(b) She resents the relationship.
(c) She ignores both parents.
(d) She feels alone and unsafe.
3. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Being a mother
(b) Going to church
(c) Being a wife
(d) Visiting her parents
4. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
(a) Because they are glowing and full of life
(b) Because it keeps him from work
(c) Because he misses Anna
(d) Because he likes to get away from home
5. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
(b) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(c) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(d) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
2. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
3. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
4. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
5. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why William feels guilty when he looks out the door after his marriage to Anna.
2. Describe the Brangwens's Christian devotion and religious practices.
3. What are the circumstances that bring Tom Brangwen to take over the farm at only eighteen years of age?
4. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
5. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
6. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
7. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
8. Explain Ursula's plans for her future when she discovers that she is pregnant.
9. What does Anton Skrebensky believe is the responsibility of every person?
10. Describe the hatred that grows in seventeen-year-old, Anna, toward her mother.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)