|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
(a) Soul mates
(b) Everlasting partners
(c) An angel
(d) A happy couple
2. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
(a) When her mother is in the house
(b) When she is with her baby sister
(c) When her father returns home
(d) When the whole family gathers at the table
3. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(b) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(c) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(d) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
4. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his reality.
(b) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(c) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(d) The cathedral is his absolute.
5. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
(a) How old she is
(b) If she has a husband
(c) If she goes to college
(d) If she would like to go to the tea shop with him
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
2. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
3. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
4. How does Will view Anna as they wait to be married?
5. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that finally allows Anna to give up her adventurous spirit and wonder of life?
2. Summarize Anna's inner feelings when she is sent to a young ladies school in Nottingham.
3. What is William's physical and mental state after the birth of his third child?
4. Explain William's feelings toward Anna as she discusses the wood carvings in the cathedral.
5. What piece of advice does Alfred give Tom as they walk to Anna and William's cottage?
6. Describe Anna's emotional state when her mother marries Tom Brangwen.
7. After the birth of their son, Lydia does have the passion for Tom that she once had. How does he deal with the desires he has for his wife?
8. Describe the relationship of William and Anna as the days go on.
9. What type of life do the Brangwens have on the Marsh farm?
10. What is Tom's reaction when Anna hysterically screams that he is not her father?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)