|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
(a) Farming, gardening, and teaching
(b) Music, men, and college
(c) Poetry, books and learning
(d) Theatre, music, and love
2. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Brinsley Street School
(b) The Nottingham Grammar School
(c) The Cossethay Grammar School
(d) The Ikleston Elementary School
3. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died are bodiless.
(b) Those who have died are corrupted.
(c) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(d) Those who have died never rise again.
4. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They will elope.
(b) They are done with each other.
(c) They will get married and live in India.
(d) They will get married and live in Paris.
5. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His unforgiving eyes
(b) His uncontrollable crying
(c) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
(d) His indifference to his father's death
6. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) He finally will be something socially.
(b) They will have more money.
(c) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(d) He will be happier.
7. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for his own family
(b) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(c) Each man lives for himself
(d) Each man lives for personal wealth
8. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
(a) She asks the boys in the class who threw the stones.
(b) She gives up on her teaching job.
(c) She becomes hard and impersonal.
(d) She begs the children to work hard.
9. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
10. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
(a) She needs to support herself.
(b) Her mother forces her to pay board.
(c) Her father demands that she work.
(d) She wants to have full rights in the working world.
11. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(b) She misses him.
(c) She found a new lover.
(d) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
12. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Different birds chirping
(b) Strange sounds of the town
(c) Someone fighting outside
(d) A woman yelling at her children
13. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he had a poor childhood
(b) Because he had no heirs
(c) Because he died young, scarcely living
(d) Because he died old and alone
14. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) Spending time with friends
(b) As if half alive
(c) Praying for his safe return
(d) Going to church every day
15. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
(b) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(c) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
(d) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of child is Gudrun?
2. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
3. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
4. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
5. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)