|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) They inspire her.
(b) They repulse her.
(c) She loves them both.
(d) She learns from them.
2. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
3. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A dictionary
(b) A new pen
(c) A Bible
(d) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
4. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(b) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
(c) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
(d) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
5. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Dominate him
(b) Insult his beliefs
(c) Destroy his being
(d) Leave him for someone else
6. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(b) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
(c) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(d) Will there be another crucifixion?
7. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(a) An electric warmth
8. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
(a) He enjoys hurting others.
(b) It is his method of teaching.
(c) He is out of place at the school.
(d) Education is important to him, so he forces it on others.
9. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
(a) Farming, gardening, and teaching
(b) Poetry, books and learning
(c) Music, men, and college
(d) Theatre, music, and love
10. Where does Anna send Ursula and Gudrun when the pettiness of the village children begins to bother them?
(a) To the grammar school in Nottingham
(b) To grammar school in London
(c) To Cossethay College
(d) To their grandmothers for home schooling
11. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
(b) They have tea and discuss literature.
(c) They swim in the lake.
(d) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
12. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Ikleston Elementary School
(b) The Brinsley Street School
(c) The Cossethay Grammar School
(d) The Nottingham Grammar School
13. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
(b) College is drudgery.
(c) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(d) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
14. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
(a) A mix of death and afterlife
(b) The motives of fear and love
(c) The motives of joy and miracles
(d) A combination of suffering and redemption
15. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) The Phillips girls
(c) The vicar's children
(d) The Phillips boys
Short Answer Questions
1. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
2. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
3. What type of child is Gudrun?
4. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
5. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)