|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In a collier's cottage
(b) A flat in Nottingham
(c) In the back of a large church
(d) A villa in Beldover
2. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) An invitation from Anna
(b) He misses Ursula
(c) A letter from Gudrun
(d) Fred Brangwen's wedding
3. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is realistic.
(b) She is not trustworthy.
(c) She lives in a fantasy world.
(d) She is violent.
4. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Leave him for someone else
(b) Insult his beliefs
(c) Dominate him
(d) Destroy his being
5. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to get to India to be with Anton
(b) How to break away from Skrebensky
(c) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
(d) How she will raise her baby with Anton
6. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
(b) A violent nature
(d) A deep misery
7. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) She is as excited as the first day of college
(b) She thinks college is a sham.
(c) Her studies are the truth of life.
(d) College is the reality of life.
8. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They are crude and angry.
(b) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
(c) They are friendly and happy.
(d) They seem like creatures without hope.
9. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) Going to church every day
(b) Spending time with friends
(c) As if half alive
(d) Praying for his safe return
10. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(b) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(c) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(d) She will marry Anton.
11. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
(a) Teaching methods and recreation
(b) Mr. Harby's attitude and philosophy
(c) Women's suffrage, ideas and life
(d) The school children and teachers
12. What is Theresa's temperament?
(a) She is shy.
(b) She is very friendly.
(c) She is war-like
(d) She is timid.
13. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(b) She climbs over a fence.
(c) She runs to the gate.
(d) She hides behind a fallen tree.
14. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
(a) Winifred leaves town.
(b) Winifred denies the relationship.
(c) Winifred tells Ursula to stay away.
(d) They become intimate.
15. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) She is a traveler.
(b) She thinks he is crude.
(c) He demeans her.
(d) He irritates her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
2. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
3. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
4. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
5. What does Fred do after his father's death?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)