|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will keep a strict classroom.
(b) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
(c) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(d) She will remain distant from the children.
2. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
(b) A violent nature
(c) A deep misery
3. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
(a) Because she has to homeschool her siblings
(b) Because she has to take three of the six children to school
(c) Because she has to wash everyone's clothes
(d) Because she has to cook every meal
4. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
(b) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(c) It is good to get away from home.
(d) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
5. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
(a) It is not to be taken literally.
(b) It is just a collection of stories.
(c) It is to be taken literally.
(d) It is to be strictly followed.
6. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
(b) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
(c) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(d) She is ready for change and a move.
7. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for himself
(b) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(c) Each man lives for personal wealth
(d) Each man lives for his own family
8. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
(a) She feels it is unnatural and stupid.
(b) She thinks it is a wonderful opportunity for children
(c) She feels it is necessary.
(d) She thinks it is useful in the world.
9. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died are corrupted.
(b) Those who have died never rise again.
(c) Those who have died are bodiless.
(d) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
10. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Mr. Phillips
11. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother's need for independence
(b) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(c) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(d) Her mother making a living outside the home
12. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The Phillips girls
(b) The vicar's children
(c) The schoolteacher
(d) The Phillips boys
13. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
(a) Poetry, books and learning
(b) Theatre, music, and love
(c) Music, men, and college
(d) Farming, gardening, and teaching
14. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
(a) She is competing with Gudrun.
(b) Her quest for complete independence
(c) She wants to make her father proud.
(d) It keeps her mind off Anton.
15. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to get to India to be with Anton
(b) How to break away from Skrebensky
(c) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(d) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
2. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
3. What is Theresa's temperament?
4. What type of child is Gudrun?
5. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)