|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(b) She misses him.
(c) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(d) She found a new lover.
2. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
(a) They did not receive the gifts they hoped for.
(b) The hope of peace and ecstasy fades away.
(c) Their father is not home.
(d) The Christmas feast is not as big as usual.
3. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
(a) She says that she has missed him.
(b) She tells him to leave her alone.
(c) She tells him that she loves him.
(d) She says that of course she likes him.
4. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Will there be another crucifixion?
(b) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(c) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(d) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
5. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
(a) She thinks it is useful in the world.
(b) She feels it is necessary.
(c) She feels it is unnatural and stupid.
(d) She thinks it is a wonderful opportunity for children
6. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
7. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(b) Her mother says that it will never happen.
(c) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
(d) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
8. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
(b) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(c) She will remain distant from the children.
(d) She will keep a strict classroom.
9. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Phillips
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Mr. Morton
10. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) Her studies are the truth of life.
(b) She thinks college is a sham.
(c) She is as excited as the first day of college
(d) College is the reality of life.
11. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died never rise again.
(b) Those who have died are bodiless.
(c) Those who have died are corrupted.
(d) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
12. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(b) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
(c) It is good to get away from home.
(d) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
13. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
(b) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
(c) She wishes they would move away.
(d) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
14. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
(b) She is ready for change and a move.
(c) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(d) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
15. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Ikleston Elementary School
(b) The Nottingham Grammar School
(c) The Brinsley Street School
(d) The Cossethay Grammar School
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
2. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
3. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
4. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
5. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)