|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
2. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A new pen
(b) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
(c) A Bible
(d) A dictionary
3. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(a) Uncle Tom
(c) Uncle Fred
4. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They are crude and angry.
(b) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
(c) They are friendly and happy.
(d) They seem like creatures without hope.
5. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
(a) It is to be strictly followed.
(b) It is just a collection of stories.
(c) It is to be taken literally.
(d) It is not to be taken literally.
6. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
(b) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(c) She is ready for change and a move.
(d) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
7. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is strong and sure of herself.
(b) She feels guilty and sinful.
(c) She is critical and angry with herself.
(d) She is timid and unsure.
8. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) He irritates her.
(b) She thinks he is crude.
(c) He demeans her.
(d) She is a traveler.
9. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is realistic.
(b) She is violent.
(c) She lives in a fantasy world.
(d) She is not trustworthy.
10. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
(b) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(c) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
(d) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
11. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Mr. Phillips
(b) Miss Inger
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Mr. Morton
12. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
(b) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(c) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(d) College is drudgery.
13. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They will get married and live in India.
(b) They will elope.
(c) They are done with each other.
(d) They will get married and live in Paris.
14. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
(a) She is worried about her studies.
(b) She doesn't want to face adulthood.
(c) She is so confused and emotional.
(d) She doesn't want to leave her family.
15. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
(b) It is good to get away from home.
(c) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(d) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
2. Why does Maggie feel betrayed when Ursula spends time with Anthony?
3. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
4. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
5. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)