|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to break away from Skrebensky
(b) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
(c) How to get to India to be with Anton
(d) How she will raise her baby with Anton
2. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
(b) They have tea and discuss literature.
(c) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
(d) They swim in the lake.
3. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He is glad to be alone.
(b) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
(c) He is exhilarated and happy.
(d) He needs this time to think.
4. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The Phillips boys
(b) The Phillips girls
(c) The vicar's children
(d) The schoolteacher
5. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
(a) The motives of fear and love
(b) The motives of joy and miracles
(c) A mix of death and afterlife
(d) A combination of suffering and redemption
6. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) College is the reality of life.
(b) Her studies are the truth of life.
(c) She thinks college is a sham.
(d) She is as excited as the first day of college
7. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) A flat in Nottingham
(b) A villa in Beldover
(c) In a collier's cottage
(d) In the back of a large church
8. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother making a living outside the home
(b) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(c) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(d) Her mother's need for independence
9. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(b) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
(c) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
(d) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
10. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) No one is ever really in love
(b) Men do not love, only dominate
(c) There are many men to love, not just one
(d) A woman can love only one man
11. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he died young, scarcely living
(b) Because he died old and alone
(c) Because he had a poor childhood
(d) Because he had no heirs
12. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
(a) She insults all her old friends.
(b) She won't converse with old acquaintances.
(c) She visits all her favorite spots.
(d) She avoids everyone in Cossethay.
13. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) She loves them both.
(b) She learns from them.
(c) They inspire her.
(d) They repulse her.
14. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
(a) Take over the farm
(b) Get married
(c) Go to college
(d) Find other employment
15. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(b) She runs to the gate.
(c) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(d) She climbs over a fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
2. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
3. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
4. How does Tom Brangwen die after returning home from Nottingham?
5. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)