|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Jenny
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Miss Inger
(d) Mr. Phillips
2. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
(a) She wants to touch her and feel her.
(b) She wishes she didn't have to take swimming.
(c) She wishes she were a better swimmer.
(d) She wishes her mistress would swim with someone else.
3. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
(a) She says that of course she likes him.
(b) She tells him that she loves him.
(c) She says that she has missed him.
(d) She tells him to leave her alone.
4. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Someone fighting outside
(b) A woman yelling at her children
(c) Strange sounds of the town
(d) Different birds chirping
5. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(b) Her mother making a living outside the home
(c) Her mother's need for independence
(d) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
6. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
7. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(b) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(c) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(d) She will marry Anton.
8. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His uncontrollable crying
(b) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
(c) His indifference to his father's death
(d) His unforgiving eyes
9. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died never rise again.
(b) Those who have died are corrupted.
(c) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(d) Those who have died are bodiless.
10. Where does Anna send Ursula and Gudrun when the pettiness of the village children begins to bother them?
(a) To grammar school in London
(b) To their grandmothers for home schooling
(c) To the grammar school in Nottingham
(d) To Cossethay College
11. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
12. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He needs this time to think.
(b) He is exhilarated and happy.
(c) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
(d) He is glad to be alone.
13. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(b) Each man lives for personal wealth
(c) Each man lives for his own family
(d) Each man lives for himself
14. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
(b) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(c) Her mother says that it will never happen.
(d) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
15. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She lives in a fantasy world.
(b) She is not trustworthy.
(c) She is realistic.
(d) She is violent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
2. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
3. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
4. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
5. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)