|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Miss Jenny
(d) Mr. Phillips
2. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
3. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(b) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
(c) Will there be another crucifixion?
(d) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
4. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(b) Those who have died never rise again.
(c) Those who have died are bodiless.
(d) Those who have died are corrupted.
5. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
(b) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
(c) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(d) She is ready for change and a move.
6. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(b) Uncle Tom
(c) Uncle Fred
7. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
(a) A combination of suffering and redemption
(b) The motives of joy and miracles
(c) A mix of death and afterlife
(d) The motives of fear and love
8. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(b) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(c) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(d) She will marry Anton.
9. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
(a) A bungalow on the Soar
(b) An opera in Cossethay
(c) A café in Nottingham
(d) A play in London
10. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
(a) Winifred leaves town.
(b) Winifred tells Ursula to stay away.
(c) Winifred denies the relationship.
(d) They become intimate.
11. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
(a) How many children will she have?
(b) Who will she marry?
(c) What will she do with her life?
(d) Will she be a good wife?
12. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
(a) She won't converse with old acquaintances.
(b) She avoids everyone in Cossethay.
(c) She insults all her old friends.
(d) She visits all her favorite spots.
13. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She feels guilty and sinful.
(b) She is timid and unsure.
(c) She is critical and angry with herself.
(d) She is strong and sure of herself.
14. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He might have to go to war in South Africa.
(d) He doesn't want to see her anymore.
15. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) They repulse her.
(b) She loves them both.
(c) They inspire her.
(d) She learns from them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anton really feeling as he says goodbye to Ursula when he goes off to war?
2. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
3. What is Theresa's temperament?
4. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
5. What type of child is Gudrun?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)