|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His indifference to his father's death
(b) His unforgiving eyes
(c) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
(d) His uncontrollable crying
2. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is violent.
(b) She is realistic.
(c) She lives in a fantasy world.
(d) She is not trustworthy.
3. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) She thinks college is a sham.
(b) College is the reality of life.
(c) Her studies are the truth of life.
(d) She is as excited as the first day of college
4. How does Tom Brangwen die after returning home from Nottingham?
(a) He dies in his sleep.
(b) His horse kicks him in the head.
(c) He drowns in the flood.
(d) He has a heart attack.
5. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
(a) Her quest for complete independence
(b) She wants to make her father proud.
(c) It keeps her mind off Anton.
(d) She is competing with Gudrun.
6. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
(b) Her mother says that it will never happen.
(c) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(d) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
7. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(b) She will marry Anton.
(c) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(d) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
8. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
9. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(b) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(c) She misses him.
(d) She found a new lover.
10. What is Ursula's first impression of Mr. Skrebensky?
(a) He is worried about what others think of him.
(b) He is timid.
(c) He is sure of himself.
(d) He is a buffoon.
11. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Ikleston Elementary School
(b) The Nottingham Grammar School
(c) The Cossethay Grammar School
(d) The Brinsley Street School
12. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She is ready for change and a move.
(b) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(c) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
(d) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
13. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Destroy his being
(b) Dominate him
(c) Leave him for someone else
(d) Insult his beliefs
14. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As her own being
(b) As an empowered woman
(c) As a slave to him
(d) As a free spirit
15. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
(a) Find other employment
(b) Get married
(c) Go to college
(d) Take over the farm
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
2. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
3. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
4. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
5. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)