|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
(a) She wants to touch her and feel her.
(b) She wishes her mistress would swim with someone else.
(c) She wishes she were a better swimmer.
(d) She wishes she didn't have to take swimming.
2. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Mr. Phillips
(d) Miss Jenny
3. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(b) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(c) Depend upon the people around you.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
4. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He is glad to be alone.
(b) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
(c) He needs this time to think.
(d) He is exhilarated and happy.
5. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
(a) She reasons with the offending students.
(b) She offers extra help to students.
(c) She is outgoing and friendly
(d) She canes the insolent students.
6. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is strong and sure of herself.
(b) She feels guilty and sinful.
(c) She is critical and angry with herself.
(d) She is timid and unsure.
7. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(a) An electric warmth
8. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(a) Uncle Tom
(b) Uncle Fred
9. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) She hates her mother.
(b) She hates her siblings
(c) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(d) She asks him to forgive her
10. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) Fred Brangwen's wedding
(b) An invitation from Anna
(c) A letter from Gudrun
(d) He misses Ursula
11. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
12. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Strange sounds of the town
(b) Someone fighting outside
(c) Different birds chirping
(d) A woman yelling at her children
13. What is Theresa's temperament?
(a) She is war-like
(b) She is timid.
(c) She is shy.
(d) She is very friendly.
14. What is Anton really feeling as he says goodbye to Ursula when he goes off to war?
(a) He doesn't want to leave.
(b) He will miss her desperately.
(c) He is looking forward to meeting other women.
(d) He is relieved to be leaving her.
15. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His unforgiving eyes
(b) His indifference to his father's death
(c) His uncontrollable crying
(d) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
2. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
3. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
4. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
5. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)