|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
(b) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(c) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
(d) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
2. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
(b) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(c) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
(d) She is afraid of what she might do.
3. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
(a) She tells him that she loves him.
(b) She says that of course she likes him.
(c) She tells him to leave her alone.
(d) She says that she has missed him.
4. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(a) An electric warmth
5. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
(b) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
(c) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(d) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
6. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Someone fighting outside
(b) Strange sounds of the town
(c) A woman yelling at her children
(d) Different birds chirping
7. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
(b) She will keep a strict classroom.
(c) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(d) She will remain distant from the children.
8. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) She hates her siblings
(b) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(c) She hates her mother.
(d) She asks him to forgive her
9. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(b) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(c) Her mother making a living outside the home
(d) Her mother's need for independence
10. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(a) Uncle Tom
(c) Uncle Fred
11. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The Phillips girls
(b) The schoolteacher
(c) The vicar's children
(d) The Phillips boys
12. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
(a) She thinks it is a wonderful opportunity for children
(b) She feels it is unnatural and stupid.
(c) She thinks it is useful in the world.
(d) She feels it is necessary.
13. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
(b) Her mother lost her independence.
(c) Her mother never became the person she could be.
(d) Her mother is a lost soul.
14. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
15. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Brinsley Street School
(b) The Cossethay Grammar School
(c) The Nottingham Grammar School
(d) The Ikleston Elementary School
Short Answer Questions
1. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
2. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
3. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
4. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
5. What is the complicated amalgam of religion that Ursula and Winifred discuss?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)