|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(b) Depend upon the people around you.
(c) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
2. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
(a) The schoolteacher
(b) The Phillips boys
(c) The Phillips girls
(d) The vicar's children
3. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
(a) Women's suffrage, ideas and life
(b) The school children and teachers
(c) Mr. Harby's attitude and philosophy
(d) Teaching methods and recreation
4. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She found a new lover.
(b) She misses him.
(c) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(d) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
5. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He is glad to be alone.
(b) He is exhilarated and happy.
(c) He needs this time to think.
(d) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
6. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
7. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
(a) What will she do with her life?
(b) How many children will she have?
(c) Who will she marry?
(d) Will she be a good wife?
8. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(a) Uncle Tom
(d) Uncle Fred
9. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) He will be happier.
(b) They will have more money.
(c) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(d) He finally will be something socially.
10. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is timid and unsure.
(b) She is strong and sure of herself.
(c) She is critical and angry with herself.
(d) She feels guilty and sinful.
11. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
(a) She begs the children to work hard.
(b) She gives up on her teaching job.
(c) She becomes hard and impersonal.
(d) She asks the boys in the class who threw the stones.
12. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Someone fighting outside
(b) Strange sounds of the town
(c) Different birds chirping
(d) A woman yelling at her children
13. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Destroy his being
(b) Dominate him
(c) Leave him for someone else
(d) Insult his beliefs
14. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) A flat in Nottingham
(b) In a collier's cottage
(c) In the back of a large church
(d) A villa in Beldover
15. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ursula feel as she waits for Anton to come home?
2. What type of child is Gudrun?
3. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
4. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
5. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)