|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
(a) She is depressed about leaving.
(b) She feels free, proud and joyful.
(c) She is afraid to start over.
(d) She is sorry to leave.
2. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is realistic.
(b) She is violent.
(c) She lives in a fantasy world.
(d) She is not trustworthy.
3. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
(a) She wishes she didn't have to take swimming.
(b) She wishes her mistress would swim with someone else.
(c) She wishes she were a better swimmer.
(d) She wants to touch her and feel her.
4. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
(a) She hates her mother.
(b) She hates her siblings
(c) Defiance and mistrust grows in her
(d) She asks him to forgive her
5. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) She is a traveler.
(b) He demeans her.
(c) He irritates her.
(d) She thinks he is crude.
6. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to break away from Skrebensky
(b) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(c) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
(d) How to get to India to be with Anton
7. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
(a) Because he gave her all the money she needed
(b) Because he let her live in his shadow
(c) Because she was secure in his dominance
(d) Because he let her be herself
8. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
(a) The intimacy of Anna and William
(b) Their books are in the bookcase
(c) Their stuffed animals are in their beds
(d) All their belongings are in place
9. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
(a) She wants to have full rights in the working world.
(b) Her mother forces her to pay board.
(c) She needs to support herself.
(d) Her father demands that she work.
10. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he died old and alone
(b) Because he had a poor childhood
(c) Because he had no heirs
(d) Because he died young, scarcely living
11. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) As if half alive
(b) Praying for his safe return
(c) Going to church every day
(d) Spending time with friends
12. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
(a) She feels it is unnatural and stupid.
(b) She thinks it is useful in the world.
(c) She feels it is necessary.
(d) She thinks it is a wonderful opportunity for children
13. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
(a) She says that William can go, but she is staying.
(b) She is ready for change and a move.
(c) She wants to stay in Cossethay.
(d) She says that she cannot uproot the children.
14. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(b) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(c) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(d) She will marry Anton.
15. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
(b) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
(c) College is drudgery.
(d) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
2. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
3. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
4. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
5. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)