|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(b) Each man lives for himself
(c) Each man lives for personal wealth
(d) Each man lives for his own family
2. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
(b) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(c) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
3. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) A woman yelling at her children
(b) Different birds chirping
(c) Someone fighting outside
(d) Strange sounds of the town
4. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Nottingham Grammar School
(b) The Cossethay Grammar School
(c) The Ikleston Elementary School
(d) The Brinsley Street School
5. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
(b) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(c) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
(d) Her mother says that it will never happen.
6. What does Fred do after his father's death?
(a) He becomes depressed and indifferent toward the farm.
(b) He moves away from Marsh farm.
(c) He throws himself into restoring the farm.
(d) He becomes abusive toward his mother.
7. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(b) She found a new lover.
(c) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(d) She misses him.
8. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
(a) She is afraid to start over.
(b) She is depressed about leaving.
(c) She is sorry to leave.
(d) She feels free, proud and joyful.
9. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
(b) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(c) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
(d) It is good to get away from home.
10. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
(b) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(c) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
(d) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
11. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They have tea and discuss literature.
(b) They swim in the lake.
(c) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
(d) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
12. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
(a) What will she do with her life?
(b) How many children will she have?
(c) Who will she marry?
(d) Will she be a good wife?
13. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
14. How does Ursula manage to keep order in her classroom?
(a) She reasons with the offending students.
(b) She canes the insolent students.
(c) She is outgoing and friendly
(d) She offers extra help to students.
15. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother is a lost soul.
(b) Her mother lost her independence.
(c) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
(d) Her mother never became the person she could be.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
2. What do Maggie and Ursula talk about when Ursula visits Belcote?
3. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
4. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
5. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)