|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
(a) She gives up on her teaching job.
(b) She begs the children to work hard.
(c) She becomes hard and impersonal.
(d) She asks the boys in the class who threw the stones.
2. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Dominate him
(b) Destroy his being
(c) Insult his beliefs
(d) Leave him for someone else
3. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His indifference to his father's death
(b) His uncontrollable crying
(c) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
(d) His unforgiving eyes
4. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother making a living outside the home
(b) Her mother's need for independence
(c) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(d) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
5. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
(a) Having a tutor
(b) Starting a seamstress business
(c) Being a woman
(d) Hiring someone to take the exam for her
6. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) They will have more money.
(b) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(c) He finally will be something socially.
(d) He will be happier.
7. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He might have to go to war in South Africa.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He doesn't want to see her anymore.
8. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(b) How to get to India to be with Anton
(c) How to break away from Skrebensky
(d) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
9. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) She loves them both.
(b) They inspire her.
(c) They repulse her.
(d) She learns from them.
10. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) Praying for his safe return
(b) Going to church every day
(c) Spending time with friends
(d) As if half alive
11. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
(a) Because he let her live in his shadow
(b) Because he gave her all the money she needed
(c) Because she was secure in his dominance
(d) Because he let her be herself
12. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) No one is ever really in love
(b) There are many men to love, not just one
(c) A woman can love only one man
(d) Men do not love, only dominate
13. What question torments Ursula as she enters womanhood?
(a) How many children will she have?
(b) Who will she marry?
(c) Will she be a good wife?
(d) What will she do with her life?
14. Who is Lydia's comforting friend after Tom's death?
15. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(b) She climbs over a fence.
(c) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(d) She runs to the gate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
2. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
3. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
4. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
5. What type of child is Gudrun?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)