|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is critical and angry with herself.
(b) She feels guilty and sinful.
(c) She is strong and sure of herself.
(d) She is timid and unsure.
2. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother making a living outside the home
(b) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(c) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(d) Her mother's need for independence
3. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother lost her independence.
(b) Her mother is a lost soul.
(c) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
(d) Her mother never became the person she could be.
4. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They are crude and angry.
(b) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
(c) They seem like creatures without hope.
(d) They are friendly and happy.
5. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
(b) She wishes they would move away.
(c) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
(d) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
6. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he died young, scarcely living
(b) Because he had a poor childhood
(c) Because he had no heirs
(d) Because he died old and alone
7. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) No one is ever really in love
(b) A woman can love only one man
(c) Men do not love, only dominate
(d) There are many men to love, not just one
8. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
(b) How to get to India to be with Anton
(c) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(d) How to break away from Skrebensky
9. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(b) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(c) She will marry Anton.
(d) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
10. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
(b) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
(c) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(d) Will there be another crucifixion?
11. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for himself
(b) Each man lives for his own family
(c) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(d) Each man lives for personal wealth
12. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
(a) Winifred tells Ursula to stay away.
(b) Winifred denies the relationship.
(c) They become intimate.
(d) Winifred leaves town.
13. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
(b) It is good to get away from home.
(c) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(d) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
14. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) She loves them both.
(b) They inspire her.
(c) They repulse her.
(d) She learns from them.
15. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(b) She runs to the gate.
(c) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(d) She climbs over a fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
2. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
3. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
4. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
5. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)