|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
(b) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(c) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
2. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(b) She will remain distant from the children.
(c) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
(d) She will keep a strict classroom.
3. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) Fred Brangwen's wedding
(b) A letter from Gudrun
(c) He misses Ursula
(d) An invitation from Anna
4. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
(b) She runs to the gate.
(c) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(d) She climbs over a fence.
5. How does Tom Brangwen die after returning home from Nottingham?
(a) His horse kicks him in the head.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He dies in his sleep.
(d) He drowns in the flood.
6. Where does Anna send Ursula and Gudrun when the pettiness of the village children begins to bother them?
(a) To grammar school in London
(b) To Cossethay College
(c) To the grammar school in Nottingham
(d) To their grandmothers for home schooling
7. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They will get married and live in Paris.
(b) They will get married and live in India.
(c) They will elope.
(d) They are done with each other.
8. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In the back of a large church
(b) A villa in Beldover
(c) A flat in Nottingham
(d) In a collier's cottage
9. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
(a) Winifred denies the relationship.
(b) Winifred leaves town.
(c) Winifred tells Ursula to stay away.
(d) They become intimate.
10. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
(a) Mr. Harby's attitude and philosophy
(b) Women's suffrage, ideas and life
(c) Teaching methods and recreation
(d) The school children and teachers
11. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
(b) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(c) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
(d) She is afraid of what she might do.
12. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) It is good to get away from home.
(b) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
(c) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
(d) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
13. Where does Ursula find a teaching position after her parents forbid her to go to Kingston-on-Thames for an interview?
(a) The Ikleston Elementary School
(b) The Nottingham Grammar School
(c) The Cossethay Grammar School
(d) The Brinsley Street School
14. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He is glad to be alone.
(b) He needs this time to think.
(c) He is exhilarated and happy.
(d) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
15. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
(a) Go to college
(b) Take over the farm
(c) Find other employment
(d) Get married
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
2. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
3. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
4. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
5. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)