|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
(a) She needs to support herself.
(b) She wants to have full rights in the working world.
(c) Her mother forces her to pay board.
(d) Her father demands that she work.
2. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(b) Each man lives for himself
(c) Each man lives for personal wealth
(d) Each man lives for his own family
3. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
(b) Her mother making a living outside the home
(c) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(d) Her mother's need for independence
4. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he died old and alone
(b) Because he had no heirs
(c) Because he died young, scarcely living
(d) Because he had a poor childhood
5. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
(a) The Christmas feast is not as big as usual.
(b) Their father is not home.
(c) They did not receive the gifts they hoped for.
(d) The hope of peace and ecstasy fades away.
6. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A dictionary
(b) A new pen
(c) A Bible
(d) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
7. Where does Anna send Ursula and Gudrun when the pettiness of the village children begins to bother them?
(a) To their grandmothers for home schooling
(b) To grammar school in London
(c) To Cossethay College
(d) To the grammar school in Nottingham
8. What does Anton tell Ursula after she tells him that she does not ever want to get married?
(a) He says that it is a relief knowing they won't be married.
(b) He says that he doesn't care if they get married.
(c) He cares for her more than all the world, life or death.
(d) He calls her an uncaring shrew.
9. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Insult his beliefs
(b) Leave him for someone else
(c) Destroy his being
(d) Dominate him
10. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They seem like creatures without hope.
(b) They are crude and angry.
(c) They are friendly and happy.
(d) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
11. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
(a) She is strong and sure of herself.
(b) She is critical and angry with herself.
(c) She is timid and unsure.
(d) She feels guilty and sinful.
12. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
(a) Easter and the Resurrection overcome the picture of death.
(b) Easter and the Resurrection are outweighed by the image of death
(c) Easter and the Resurrection are more important than Christmas.
(d) Easter and the Resurrection give hope of an after life.
13. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Be responsible for everyone around you.
(b) Depend upon the people around you.
(c) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(d) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
14. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
(b) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
(c) She wishes they would move away.
(d) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
15. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
(a) She will remain distant from the children.
(b) She will make learning clear, interesting and personal.
(c) She will keep a strict classroom.
(d) She will go through the motions with no enthusiasm.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom Brangwen die after returning home from Nottingham?
2. How does Anna react to the position of hand-work instructor in Nottingham for which William applies?
3. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
4. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
5. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)