|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) He irritates her.
(b) She thinks he is crude.
(c) He demeans her.
(d) She is a traveler.
2. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In a collier's cottage
(b) A flat in Nottingham
(c) In the back of a large church
(d) A villa in Beldover
3. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
(a) He enjoys hurting others.
(b) It is his method of teaching.
(c) He is out of place at the school.
(d) Education is important to him, so he forces it on others.
4. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
(b) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
(c) They swim in the lake.
(d) They have tea and discuss literature.
5. What does Ursula hate about her mother?
(a) Her mother making a living outside the home
(b) Her mother's need for independence
(c) Her mother's belief in the rights of women
(d) Her mother's satisfaction with child-bearing and domesticity
6. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As a free spirit
(b) As an empowered woman
(c) As a slave to him
(d) As her own being
7. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
(a) Being a woman
(b) Hiring someone to take the exam for her
(c) Starting a seamstress business
(d) Having a tutor
8. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
(a) To know her own importance within all those who lived before her
(b) To know she will get anything she wants from her grandmother
(c) To know she can have all the sweets she wants
(d) To know that her grandmother loves her
9. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
(a) Those who have died are bodiless.
(b) Those who have risen will walk again in a perfect body among men.
(c) Those who have died are corrupted.
(d) Those who have died never rise again.
10. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
(a) A new pen
(b) A dictionary
(c) A Bible
(d) Two books of poetry, signed by all the teachers
11. What does Ursula tell Anton in the letter she sends to him?
(a) She found a new lover.
(b) She is pregnant and wants to marry him.
(c) She hopes he is happy in his new marriage.
(d) She misses him.
12. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
(a) She won't converse with old acquaintances.
(b) She insults all her old friends.
(c) She visits all her favorite spots.
(d) She avoids everyone in Cossethay.
13. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) He finally will be something socially.
(b) He will be happier.
(c) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(d) They will have more money.
14. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) Different birds chirping
(b) Strange sounds of the town
(c) A woman yelling at her children
(d) Someone fighting outside
15. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They are done with each other.
(b) They will elope.
(c) They will get married and live in Paris.
(d) They will get married and live in India.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
2. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
3. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
4. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
5. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)