|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(b) She is afraid of what she might do.
(c) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
(d) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
2. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) There are many men to love, not just one
(b) No one is ever really in love
(c) A woman can love only one man
(d) Men do not love, only dominate
3. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to get to India to be with Anton
(b) How to break away from Skrebensky
(c) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(d) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
4. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
(b) A deep misery
(c) A violent nature
5. What action does Ursula take to escape from the horses surrounding her when she goes for a walk in the rain?
(a) She hides behind a fallen tree.
(b) She runs to the gate.
(c) She climbs over a fence.
(d) She climbs a tree and leaps over the hedge.
6. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
7. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) A letter from Gudrun
(b) He misses Ursula
(c) Fred Brangwen's wedding
(d) An invitation from Anna
8. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
(b) She wishes they would move away.
(c) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
(d) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
9. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Inger
(b) Mr. Phillips
(c) Mr. Morton
(d) Miss Jenny
10. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
(b) They have tea and discuss literature.
(c) They swim in the lake.
(d) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
11. What keeps Ursula from giving up her studies for the matriculation examination even though they are such a drudgery?
(a) It keeps her mind off Anton.
(b) She is competing with Gudrun.
(c) She wants to make her father proud.
(d) Her quest for complete independence
12. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Depend upon the people around you.
(b) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(c) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
13. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They will elope.
(b) They are done with each other.
(c) They will get married and live in India.
(d) They will get married and live in Paris.
14. Why does Ursula enjoy staying at Belcote with Maggie's family?
(a) She is treated like a lady by Maggie's brothers.
(b) She and Maggie catch up on old times.
(c) She enjoys working in Maggie's garden.
(d) It is good to get away from home.
15. How does Ursula view college as she sits in the lecture hall for her first class?
(a) She is annoyed by the medieval buildings.
(b) Time fades away and she listens with ecstasy.
(c) College is drudgery.
(d) She sees college as a necessity, but not enjoyable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
2. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
3. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
4. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
5. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)