|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes they would move away.
(b) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
(c) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
(d) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
2. Why is Ursula excited about her father's new position as Art and Handwork Instructor?
(a) She will get to move to Nottingham.
(b) He finally will be something socially.
(c) He will be happier.
(d) They will have more money.
3. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
(a) They are done with each other.
(b) They will get married and live in Paris.
(c) They will get married and live in India.
(d) They will elope.
4. What decision does Ursula make during her illness?
(a) She will be glad to rely upon Anton.
(b) She will be relieved to give up her freedom.
(c) She will remain free, and if there is a child, she will raise it herself.
(d) She will marry Anton.
5. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How to get to India to be with Anton
(b) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
(c) How to break away from Skrebensky
(d) How she will raise her baby with Anton
6. What is the final question the author asks about the death of Christ?
(a) Is the crucifixion a poison or a hope to mankind?
(b) Will there be another crucifixion?
(c) Was Satan destroyed when Christ died?
(d) Will mankind learn a lesson from the crucifixion?
7. Why does Ursula refuse Anthony's proposal of marriage?
(a) She is a traveler.
(b) She thinks he is crude.
(c) He irritates her.
(d) He demeans her.
8. How does Christian life affect the Brangwens?
(a) It is the joy of reaching heaven.
(b) It is inspirational and fulfilling.
(c) It is a constant source of hope.
(d) It becomes a mechanical action without real meaning.
9. What is young Tom Brangwen feeling behind his healthy, good looks, and well dressed appearance?
(a) A deep misery
(c) A violent nature
10. What is Ursula's view of religious scripture?
(a) It is not to be taken literally.
(b) It is just a collection of stories.
(c) It is to be strictly followed.
(d) It is to be taken literally.
11. What is Skrebensky's view on the role of an individual?
(a) Each man lives for himself
(b) Each man lives for the good of humanity, not himself.
(c) Each man lives for his own family
(d) Each man lives for personal wealth
12. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
(a) She wants to have full rights in the working world.
(b) Her father demands that she work.
(c) Her mother forces her to pay board.
(d) She needs to support herself.
13. During her two weeks in Wiggiston, what is Ursula's attitude toward Winifred and her Uncle Tom?
(a) She loves them both.
(b) They inspire her.
(c) They repulse her.
(d) She learns from them.
14. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(b) Uncle Tom
(d) Uncle Fred
15. Why does Maggie feel betrayed when Ursula spends time with Anthony?
(a) Maggie wants to spend more time with Ursula.
(b) Maggie is jealous of the attention Anthony gives to Ursula.
(c) Maggie thinks they are talking behind her back.
(d) Maggie and Anthony are at odds with one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
2. What is the thought about Easter and the Resurrection that Lawrence gives the reader?
3. With whom do the Brangwen girls have a feud?
4. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
5. What does the rainbow forming over the corrupt land symbolize for Ursula?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)