|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What brings Anton Skrebensky back to the Marsh farm after he returns to the army?
(a) A letter from Gudrun
(b) Fred Brangwen's wedding
(c) He misses Ursula
(d) An invitation from Anna
2. What does Ursula wish as she swims with her swimming class mistress?
(a) She wants to touch her and feel her.
(b) She wishes she were a better swimmer.
(c) She wishes she didn't have to take swimming.
(d) She wishes her mistress would swim with someone else.
3. How does Lydia see herself when she is married to Paul Lensky?
(a) As a free spirit
(b) As her own being
(c) As an empowered woman
(d) As a slave to him
4. What do Winifred and Ursula do when they are at the bungalow?
(a) They have tea and figure Algebra problems.
(b) They have tea and discuss literature.
(c) They swim in the lake.
(d) They undress, go out in the rain and kiss and hold each other's naked body.
5. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
(a) She avoids everyone in Cossethay.
(b) She insults all her old friends.
(c) She won't converse with old acquaintances.
(d) She visits all her favorite spots.
6. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
7. What does Ursula think the reason is that Mr. Harby bullies the children and other teachers in the classroom?
(a) It is his method of teaching.
(b) He is out of place at the school.
(c) Education is important to him, so he forces it on others.
(d) He enjoys hurting others.
8. Why does Lydia feel sorry for her first husband, Paul Lensky?
(a) Because he had a poor childhood
(b) Because he died old and alone
(c) Because he died young, scarcely living
(d) Because he had no heirs
9. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
(a) Take over the farm
(b) Find other employment
(c) Get married
(d) Go to college
10. Why does 11-year-old Ursula find it a bother to be the eldest of six children?
(a) Because she has to homeschool her siblings
(b) Because she has to take three of the six children to school
(c) Because she has to cook every meal
(d) Because she has to wash everyone's clothes
11. Where does Ursula's school mistress invite her to go on Saturday?
(a) A café in Nottingham
(b) A play in London
(c) An opera in Cossethay
(d) A bungalow on the Soar
12. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Depend upon the people around you.
(b) Be responsible for everyone around you.
(c) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(d) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
13. When Ursula believes she is pregnant with Anton's child, what does she decide about her mother's life?
(a) Her mother lost her independence.
(b) Her mother is a lost soul.
(c) Her mother never became the person she could be.
(d) Her mother is right to accept her fate as a mother and a wife.
14. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
(a) How she will raise her baby with Anton
(b) How to get to India to be with Anton
(c) How to break away from Skrebensky
(d) How she will accept life as a wife and mother
15. While Anton is away, who does Ursula fall in love with while at school?
(a) Miss Jenny
(b) Mr. Morton
(c) Mr. Phillips
(d) Miss Inger
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the vision the author gives of life if one looks at the Resurrection as life, not death?
2. What happens after Ursula writes a passionate love letter to Winifred?
3. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
4. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
5. What kind of teacher does Ursula dream she will be?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)