|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
(a) Having a tutor
(b) Hiring someone to take the exam for her
(c) Being a woman
(d) Starting a seamstress business
2. What is Ursula's response when Anton asks her if she likes him on the night of Fred's wedding?
(a) She tells him to leave her alone.
(b) She tells him that she loves him.
(c) She says that she has missed him.
(d) She says that of course she likes him.
3. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
(b) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
(c) She wishes they would move away.
(d) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
4. What is Ursula's reaction after boys from her class throw stones at her in the street?
(a) She becomes hard and impersonal.
(b) She begs the children to work hard.
(c) She asks the boys in the class who threw the stones.
(d) She gives up on her teaching job.
5. Which of the Brangwen boys has a soft, mysterious nature, strange peacefulness, informed air, and brings a foreign touch to the Marsh farm?
6. Who is a great comfort to Ursula while she shrinks away from other people, afraid she is not like them?
(a) Uncle Tom
(c) Uncle Fred
7. What does Ursula do in Cossethay when she realizes she will be moving soon?
(a) She won't converse with old acquaintances.
(b) She insults all her old friends.
(c) She avoids everyone in Cossethay.
(d) She visits all her favorite spots.
8. What is it that makes the new house in Beldover feel like a home to the Brangwen children?
(a) All their belongings are in place
(b) Their stuffed animals are in their beds
(c) The intimacy of Anna and William
(d) Their books are in the bookcase
9. What is the response of Ursula's mother when Ursula says that she wants to have an equal place with men in the field of action and work?
(a) Her mother tells her she deserves equal opportunity.
(b) Her mother tells her to take action at mending a pile of stockings.
(c) Her mother tells her that some day she will be equal to men.
(d) Her mother says that it will never happen.
10. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His unforgiving eyes
(b) His indifference to his father's death
(c) His uncontrollable crying
(d) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
11. Why is Ursula consumed with a fear of herself when she and Anton are in the cornstacks after the wedding?
(a) She is afraid she will say something foolish.
(b) She is afraid she won't be good enough for Anton.
(c) She has broken Anton, abating his fire.
(d) She is afraid of what she might do.
12. What do the Brangwens hear when they wake up the first morning in their new house?
(a) A woman yelling at her children
(b) Strange sounds of the town
(c) Someone fighting outside
(d) Different birds chirping
13. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(d) An electric warmth
14. What conclusion does Ursula come to about men and love?
(a) A woman can love only one man
(b) There are many men to love, not just one
(c) No one is ever really in love
(d) Men do not love, only dominate
15. Why does Ursula's face get a strange, scared look at this time in her life?
(a) She is so confused and emotional.
(b) She is worried about her studies.
(c) She doesn't want to leave her family.
(d) She doesn't want to face adulthood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
2. What does Mr. Harby give to Ursula on her last day of school?
3. What is Anton really feeling as he says goodbye to Ursula when he goes off to war?
4. What does Ursula try to figure out as she lies with a fever in bed?
5. What is the decision Anton and Ursula make the morning after they make love in the sand under the moon?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)