|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Anton write in a letter to Ursula after he goes back to the army?
(a) He wants to marry her.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He doesn't want to see her anymore.
(d) He might have to go to war in South Africa.
2. What subjects do Ursula and Maggie discuss when they are together?
(a) Teaching methods and recreation
(b) Women's suffrage, ideas and life
(c) Mr. Harby's attitude and philosophy
(d) The school children and teachers
3. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is not trustworthy.
(b) She is realistic.
(c) She lives in a fantasy world.
(d) She is violent.
4. What is Ursula's emotional state on the last day of school before she goes on to college?
(a) She is depressed about leaving.
(b) She is afraid to start over.
(c) She is sorry to leave.
(d) She feels free, proud and joyful.
5. What does Anton believe Ursula wants to do to him, even though they are lovers?
(a) Dominate him
(b) Destroy his being
(c) Insult his beliefs
(d) Leave him for someone else
6. Why is Lydia thankful to Tom for the life he gave her?
(a) Because she was secure in his dominance
(b) Because he gave her all the money she needed
(c) Because he let her live in his shadow
(d) Because he let her be herself
7. Where does the Brangwen family move when William gets his new position?
(a) In the back of a large church
(b) In a collier's cottage
(c) A flat in Nottingham
(d) A villa in Beldover
8. How does Ursula get through the long weeks while Anton is away?
(a) Spending time with friends
(b) Going to church every day
(c) Praying for his safe return
(d) As if half alive
9. How does Ursula feel about college as she prepares for her final examination?
(a) She thinks college is a sham.
(b) College is the reality of life.
(c) She is as excited as the first day of college
(d) Her studies are the truth of life.
10. Ursula resigns herself to teaching until she can do what?
(a) Get married
(b) Go to college
(c) Take over the farm
(d) Find other employment
11. What does Lydia Brangwen wish for as she sees the turmoil in her son's lives?
(a) She wishes she could be more involved in her son's lives.
(b) She wishes for the peace and innocence of age.
(c) She wishes they would move away.
(d) She wishes they would come to her with their troubles.
12. What does Ursula feel after her first kiss with Skrebensky?
(d) An electric warmth
13. What is Ursula's impression of the colliers when she and Winifred go to her Uncle Tom's house in Wiggiston?
(a) They seem like creatures without hope.
(b) They are crude and angry.
(c) They are dirty and poorly dressed.
(d) They are friendly and happy.
14. What is Lydia's advice for Ursula as they discuss Lydia's life with her husbands?
(a) Depend upon the people around you.
(b) Take all the blame for things that go wrong.
(c) Life goes on and don't take too much upon yourself.
(d) Be responsible for everyone around you.
15. How does Anton react when he is away from Ursula after their affair in London and Paris?
(a) He feels dead, extinct and sterile.
(b) He is glad to be alone.
(c) He needs this time to think.
(d) He is exhilarated and happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Strebensky returns from Africa and starts up his relationship with Ursula again. What are Ursula's inner feelings after she and Anton consummate their love?
2. What is the great peace that Ursula finds when she visits her grandmother in her bedroom on Marsh farm?
3. What is Ursula's view on school and forcing children to learn?
4. What is Ursula's secret weapon toward independence if her studies do not work out?
5. Why can't Ursula escape from the world of system and work?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)