|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is happy to have a father.
(b) She accepts Tom immediately.
(c) She is angry, wanting to move away.
(d) She is glad her mother has a husband.
2. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
(b) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(c) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(d) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
3. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of working in the fields
(b) After three days of praying
(c) After three days of constant brandy drinking
(d) After three days of silence and solitude
4. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He loves Anna.
(b) He doesn't care for Anna.
(c) He does not want Anna.
(d) He wants her desperately.
5. Who invites Anna and William to visit them in Briswell?
(a) Alfred Brangwen
(b) Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent
(c) Frank Brangwen
(d) Paul Lensky
6. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral is his absolute.
(d) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
7. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is the storm. He is the calm.
(b) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(c) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
(d) She is arrogant. He is humble.
8. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
(a) The vicar's daughter
(c) Tilly's sister
(d) The Polish widow, Mrs. Lensky
9. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
(b) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(c) She still resents him.
(d) She ignores him.
10. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
(a) Rotted timbers that need to be replaced
(b) His gray haired wife, shooing the owls away
(c) Anna and Will in each other's arms, kissing
(d) His thirteen year old dog, dead in the hay
11. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
12. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
(a) Her father tells her to grow up.
(b) Her mother tells her to be a responsible wife.
(c) She is beaten down by William.
(d) She becomes content with another pregnancy.
13. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
(a) The men act out the mystery play of St. George.
(b) Anna and will have the first dance.
(c) Tom and his wife dance in the middle of the parlor.
(d) Anna and William are about to leave.
14. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(b) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
(c) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
(d) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
15. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
(a) They would be heavy, uninspired, and hateful.
(b) They would feel less intimidated.
(c) They would feel more at ease in public.
(d) They would feel more successful with their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
2. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
3. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
4. What does Anna find refreshing about the Skrebensky's relationship?
5. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)