|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Favors him over Frank
(b) Despises him a little
(c) Loves him
(d) Sees him as a child
2. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Anna and William
(b) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(c) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(d) Lydia Brangwen
3. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He works day and night.
(b) He reads throughout the night.
(c) He spends all his time at the bar.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
4. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(b) He is above average in all his studies
(c) He is the best reader in the class.
(d) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
5. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
(a) When Effie becomes engaged
(b) After their father breaks his neck
(c) When Tom gets back from school
(d) After the death of their mother
6. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(b) She tells him to get out.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She ignores him completely.
7. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
(a) Her maturity
(b) Her flowery innocence
(c) Her pregnancy
(d) Her ugly nature
8. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
(b) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(c) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(d) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
9. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He nods his head and heads for home.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(d) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
10. Who tries to comfort William when the stress of four children becomes a heavy burden for him?
11. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
(a) They go to another room, so they won't hear the singing.
(b) They become angry, wishing the men would leave.
(c) They hold each other close, no longer hearing the voices.
(d) They look out the window and join in the singing.
12. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
(b) Her stories about Poland
(c) Quiet conversations
(d) Love and passion
13. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Wealth and power
(b) Heritage and money
(c) Class and virtue
(d) Education and experience
14. How old is Ursula when a third child is born to Anna and William?
15. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
(b) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(c) Because he objects to her antics
(d) Because he is irritated with her
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
2. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
4. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
5. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)