|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Being a mother
(b) Being a wife
(c) Going to church
(d) Visiting her parents
2. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
(a) Why can't he leave her?
(b) How can he be nicer to Anna?
(c) Will the baby bring them together?
(d) What gift can he get for Anna?
3. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of praying
(b) After three days of silence and solitude
(c) After three days of working in the fields
(d) After three days of constant brandy drinking
4. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) She finds him annoying.
(b) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She finds him stupid and useless.
5. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
(a) He doesn't feel any emotion.
(b) He is impressed with the murals.
(c) He is disappointed by the architecture.
(d) His soul soars up into the church.
6. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(b) Baron Skrebensky
7. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(b) Lydia Brangwen
(c) Anna and William
(d) Alfred Brangwen's wife
8. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
9. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He just wants it to be over.
(b) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(c) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(d) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
10. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
(b) She is full of life and laughter.
(c) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(d) She becomes silent and distant.
11. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
(a) Her friend, Tilly
(b) Her real father
(c) Her Uncle Alfred
(d) Her cousin Will
12. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) There is a goldrush.
(b) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(c) The town offers public education
(d) More people are getting married and having children
13. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He reads throughout the night.
(c) He works day and night.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
14. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A jewelry box carved with birds
(b) Candlesticks with carved flowers
(c) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(d) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
15. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
(a) He can't bear that she is six years older than he is.
(b) He can't stand that she has a daughter.
(c) He can't stand that they are complete strangers to each other.
(d) He can't bear that she was married before.
Short Answer Questions
1. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
2. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
3. How does Will react to Anna's preparations for a tea party?
4. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
5. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)