|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(b) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(c) He is content with his way of life.
(d) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
2. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Sees him as a child
(b) Loves him
(c) Favors him over Frank
(d) Despises him a little
3. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is above average in all his studies
(b) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(c) He is the best reader in the class.
(d) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
4. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(d) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
5. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They find they will never know one another.
(b) They discover they do not love one another.
(c) They realize they do not belong together.
(d) They find fulfillment in each other.
6. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) Lydia does not want him ever again.
(b) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
(c) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(d) He wants to be with other women.
7. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks if he can work on the farm.
(b) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) He asks if he can court Anna.
(d) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
8. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(b) They decide to have a horse race.
(c) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
(d) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
9. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(b) William won't let Anna go to church.
(c) William dislikes Anna's father.
(d) Anna complains about money.
10. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
(b) Quiet conversations
(c) Her stories about Poland
(d) Love and passion
11. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is full of life and laughter.
(b) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
(c) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(d) She becomes silent and distant.
12. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is volatile and quick tempered.
(b) She is active, and athletic.
(c) She is quiet, mild-mannered, but indomitable.
(d) She is slow and meek.
13. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
(a) He has an intellectual conversation with her.
(b) He dances with her.
(c) He walks with her.
(d) He kisses and caresses her, hoping to take her.
14. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Tower of London
(b) The Thames
(c) Westminster Abbey
(d) Lincoln Cathedral
15. Who tries to comfort William when the stress of four children becomes a heavy burden for him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
2. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
3. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
4. How does Anna get along with other children?
5. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)