|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He is the happiest he has ever been.
(b) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
(c) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
(d) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
2. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them a share in the farm.
(b) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(c) He gives them his favorite stallion.
(d) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
3. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
(a) He has an intellectual conversation with her.
(b) He walks with her.
(c) He kisses and caresses her, hoping to take her.
(d) He dances with her.
4. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
(b) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(c) They decide to have a horse race.
(d) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
5. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
(a) It is full of humor and longing.
(b) It is an equal partnership.
(c) It is carefree and loving.
(d) It is full of love and conflict.
6. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
(a) Anna and William are about to leave.
(b) Tom and his wife dance in the middle of the parlor.
(c) The men act out the mystery play of St. George.
(d) Anna and will have the first dance.
7. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(b) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(c) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
(d) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
8. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
(a) Because he misses Anna
(b) Because it keeps him from work
(c) Because they are glowing and full of life
(d) Because he likes to get away from home
9. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks if he can court Anna.
(b) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(c) He asks if he can work on the farm.
(d) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
10. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
(a) He worries about the farm and finances.
(b) He yearns for Anna's love because she is his hope.
(c) He worried that his sons will fight over the farm.
(d) He is afraid his sons will not want the farm.
11. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He does not care about mankind.
(b) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(c) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(d) He is too devout.
12. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(b) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(c) She learned to obey her father.
(d) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
13. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Class and virtue
(b) Heritage and money
(c) Education and experience
(d) Wealth and power
14. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(b) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
(c) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(d) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
15. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) Lincoln Cathedral
(b) Westminster Abbey
(c) The Tower of London
(d) The Thames
Short Answer Questions
1. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
2. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
3. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
4. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
5. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)