|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(b) She learned to obey her father.
(c) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(d) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
2. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(b) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(c) He is content with his way of life.
(d) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
3. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(c) She tells him to get out.
(d) She ignores him completely.
4. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
(a) She thinks they belittle her and despises them.
(b) She enjoys conversing with other people.
(c) She is very friendly when meeting other people.
(d) She loves other people.
5. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(b) He hopes to make her a lady.
(c) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(d) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
6. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(b) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(c) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
(d) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
7. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is arrogant. He is humble.
(b) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(c) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
(d) She is the storm. He is the calm.
8. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(b) She still resents him.
(c) She ignores him.
(d) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
9. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He is the happiest he has ever been.
(b) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
(c) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
(d) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
10. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he objects to her antics
(b) Because he is irritated with her
(c) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(d) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
11. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(b) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(c) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(d) He loves Anna more than his own son.
12. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him at the market.
(b) She meets him at church.
(c) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
(d) She meets him on the road near his house.
13. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
(a) Her cousin Will
(b) Her real father
(c) Her friend, Tilly
(d) Her Uncle Alfred
14. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
(a) How old she is
(b) If she goes to college
(c) If she would like to go to the tea shop with him
(d) If she has a husband
15. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He loves Anna.
(b) He wants her desperately.
(c) He does not want Anna.
(d) He doesn't care for Anna.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
2. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
3. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
4. How old is Ursula when a third child is born to Anna and William?
5. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)