|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Wealth and power
(b) Heritage and money
(c) Class and virtue
(d) Education and experience
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
(a) She tells him he will never be awed as she is with the cathedral.
(b) She is more passionate about the cathedral than he is.
(c) She is destroying another one of his illusions.
(d) She insults his carving abilities as she looks at the carvings in the church.
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
(a) A traditional Polish couple
(b) The obedience of Polish citizens
(c) The joys of marriage
(d) The new movement begun in Russia
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(b) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
(c) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(d) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
5. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
(a) He worried that his sons will fight over the farm.
(b) He yearns for Anna's love because she is his hope.
(c) He worries about the farm and finances.
(d) He is afraid his sons will not want the farm.
6. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
(a) He doesn't feel any emotion.
(b) His soul soars up into the church.
(c) He is disappointed by the architecture.
(d) He is impressed with the murals.
7. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) He wants to be with other women.
(b) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
(c) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(d) Lydia does not want him ever again.
8. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is full of life and laughter.
(b) She becomes silent and distant.
(c) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(d) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
9. What is Tom contemplating as he stands at the altar with Anna on her wedding day?
(a) What will his life be like without Anna?
(b) Should he refuse to give Anna away?
(c) How does a person grow old and become confident?
(d) Should he take Anna and leave the church?
10. How does Will view Anna as they wait to be married?
(a) She will make a wonderful home maker.
(b) He is having second thoughts about her.
(c) She is becoming boring.
(d) She is a flame that consumes him.
11. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(b) A jewelry box carved with birds
(c) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
(d) Candlesticks with carved flowers
12. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(b) Anna complains about money.
(c) William dislikes Anna's father.
(d) William won't let Anna go to church.
13. What does Will Brangwen feel guilty about while he is on his honeymoon?
(a) For ignoring Anna
(b) For never wanting to go back to the world
(c) For shutting himself off from the world
(d) For wanting Anna so much
14. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
(a) She is very friendly when meeting other people.
(b) She enjoys conversing with other people.
(c) She thinks they belittle her and despises them.
(d) She loves other people.
15. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
(a) He goes to church every day.
(b) He leaves Anna for two weeks.
(c) He forces Anna to sleep in another room.
(d) Anna forces him to sleep alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
2. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
3. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
4. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
5. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)