|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Being a wife
(b) Going to church
(c) Being a mother
(d) Visiting her parents
2. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
3. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(b) She accepts Tom immediately.
(c) She is happy to have a father.
(d) She is angry, wanting to move away.
4. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Loves him
(b) Favors him over Frank
(c) Sees him as a child
(d) Despises him a little
5. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
(a) Her friend, Tilly
(b) Her Uncle Alfred
(c) Her cousin Will
(d) Her real father
6. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
(a) His soul soars up into the church.
(b) He is impressed with the murals.
(c) He is disappointed by the architecture.
(d) He doesn't feel any emotion.
7. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
(a) She is sorry.
(b) She loves someone else.
(c) She wants to leave him.
(d) She is pregnant.
8. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is the best reader in the class.
(b) He is above average in all his studies
(c) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(d) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
9. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
(a) He is always happy.
(b) He keeps the pain at the bottom of his heart and enjoys his life.
(c) He is moody and miserable too.
(d) He doesn't care that his wife is in misery.
10. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He wants her desperately.
(b) He does not want Anna.
(c) He loves Anna.
(d) He doesn't care for Anna.
11. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He works day and night.
(b) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(c) He reads throughout the night.
(d) He spends all his time at the bar.
12. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him on the road near his house.
(b) She meets him at the market.
(c) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
(d) She meets him at church.
13. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She ignores him completely.
(b) She tells him to get out.
(c) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(d) She is afraid of him.
14. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(b) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(c) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
(d) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
15. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral is his absolute.
(d) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
2. Who tries to comfort William when the stress of four children becomes a heavy burden for him?
3. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
4. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
5. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)