|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
(b) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(c) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(d) To the pub for drinks
2. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) She ignores him completely.
(c) She tells him to get out.
(d) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
3. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
(a) Her father tells her to grow up.
(b) She becomes content with another pregnancy.
(c) She is beaten down by William.
(d) Her mother tells her to be a responsible wife.
4. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(c) Baron Skrebensky
5. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(d) The cathedral is his absolute.
6. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(c) He reads throughout the night.
(d) He works day and night.
7. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is spending more time with Tom.
(b) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
(c) She is always singing and sewing.
(d) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
8. What is Tom contemplating as he stands at the altar with Anna on her wedding day?
(a) Should he take Anna and leave the church?
(b) What will his life be like without Anna?
(c) How does a person grow old and become confident?
(d) Should he refuse to give Anna away?
9. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
(a) A child drowning in the pond
(b) The pregnant Anna, dancing naked in the bedroom
(c) An old woman, dead and alone for two weeks
(d) A violent knifing in Cossethay
10. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(b) She falls in love with the vicar.
(c) She decides to move back to Poland.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
11. What does everyone at the wedding party get excited over, shouting and applauding?
(a) Anna and William are about to leave.
(b) Anna and will have the first dance.
(c) Tom and his wife dance in the middle of the parlor.
(d) The men act out the mystery play of St. George.
12. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Class and virtue
(b) Wealth and power
(c) Education and experience
(d) Heritage and money
13. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(b) He takes her to her mother.
(c) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(d) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
14. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(b) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
(c) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(d) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
15. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) Lincoln Cathedral
(b) The Thames
(c) The Tower of London
(d) Westminster Abbey
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
2. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
3. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
4. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
5. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)