|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
(a) A happy couple
(b) Everlasting partners
(c) Soul mates
(d) An angel
2. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
(a) She wishes William was more dominant.
(b) She wants to be as one person with William.
(c) She wants her own life, not absorbed by William.
(d) She wishes she and William were closer.
3. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He nods his head and heads for home.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(d) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
4. What are William's actions with the girl he takes to the park?
(a) He walks with her.
(b) He has an intellectual conversation with her.
(c) He dances with her.
(d) He kisses and caresses her, hoping to take her.
5. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(a) Baron Skrebensky
6. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him at church.
(b) She meets him on the road near his house.
(c) She meets him at the market.
(d) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
7. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They find fulfillment in each other.
(b) They find they will never know one another.
(c) They realize they do not belong together.
(d) They discover they do not love one another.
8. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them his favorite stallion.
(b) He gives them a share in the farm.
(c) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(d) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
9. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his absolute.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(d) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
10. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
(a) He worried that his sons will fight over the farm.
(b) He is afraid his sons will not want the farm.
(c) He yearns for Anna's love because she is his hope.
(d) He worries about the farm and finances.
11. How does Will view Anna as they wait to be married?
(a) She is becoming boring.
(b) She is a flame that consumes him.
(c) He is having second thoughts about her.
(d) She will make a wonderful home maker.
12. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
(a) An old woman, dead and alone for two weeks
(b) A child drowning in the pond
(c) The pregnant Anna, dancing naked in the bedroom
(d) A violent knifing in Cossethay
13. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
(a) She feels ugly and inferior.
(b) She is nervous and self-conscious.
(c) She is ecstatic, feeling lovely and flamboyant.
(d) She is embarrassed by her father's crassness.
14. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Heritage and money
(b) Class and virtue
(c) Education and experience
(d) Wealth and power
15. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(b) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(c) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(d) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
2. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
4. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
5. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)