|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
(a) They would be heavy, uninspired, and hateful.
(b) They would feel more at ease in public.
(c) They would feel more successful with their lives.
(d) They would feel less intimidated.
2. How does Will view Anna as they wait to be married?
(a) She will make a wonderful home maker.
(b) She is becoming boring.
(c) He is having second thoughts about her.
(d) She is a flame that consumes him.
3. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Tower of London
(b) Lincoln Cathedral
(c) Westminster Abbey
(d) The Thames
4. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Heritage and money
(b) Class and virtue
(c) Education and experience
(d) Wealth and power
5. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(b) He is above average in all his studies
(c) He is the best reader in the class.
(d) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
6. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
(a) She is beaten down by William.
(b) Her father tells her to grow up.
(c) She becomes content with another pregnancy.
(d) Her mother tells her to be a responsible wife.
7. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
(a) He takes her to his heart.
(b) He ignores her in favor of Gudrun.
(c) Everything Ursula does irritates him.
(d) He begins to hate Ursula.
8. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) Candlesticks with carved flowers
(b) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
(c) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(d) A jewelry box carved with birds
9. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his absolute.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(d) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
10. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She becomes silent and distant.
(b) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(c) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
(d) She is full of life and laughter.
11. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(b) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(c) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(d) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
12. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) Anna complains about money.
(b) William dislikes Anna's father.
(c) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(d) William won't let Anna go to church.
13. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) She ignores him completely.
(c) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(d) She tells him to get out.
14. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(b) Anna and William
(c) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(d) Lydia Brangwen
15. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) The town offers public education
(b) More people are getting married and having children
(c) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(d) There is a goldrush.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
3. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
4. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)