|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
(a) They hold each other close, no longer hearing the voices.
(b) They go to another room, so they won't hear the singing.
(c) They look out the window and join in the singing.
(d) They become angry, wishing the men would leave.
2. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(b) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
(c) To the pub for drinks
(d) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
3. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
4. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(b) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(c) He does not care about mankind.
(d) He is too devout.
5. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She ignores him completely.
(b) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(c) She is afraid of him.
(d) She tells him to get out.
6. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They find fulfillment in each other.
(b) They realize they do not belong together.
(c) They discover they do not love one another.
(d) They find they will never know one another.
7. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(b) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(c) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(d) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
8. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(b) She finds him stupid and useless.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She finds him annoying.
9. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Favors him over Frank
(b) Loves him
(c) Sees him as a child
(d) Despises him a little
10. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She accepts Tom immediately.
(b) She is angry, wanting to move away.
(c) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(d) She is happy to have a father.
11. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(b) Baron Skrebensky
12. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of working in the fields
(b) After three days of praying
(c) After three days of silence and solitude
(d) After three days of constant brandy drinking
13. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(b) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(c) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
(d) She learned to obey her father.
14. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(b) Because he is irritated with her
(c) Because he objects to her antics
(d) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
15. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(b) She is the storm. He is the calm.
(c) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
(d) She is arrogant. He is humble.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
2. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
3. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
4. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)