|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
(a) Her ugly nature
(b) Her pregnancy
(c) Her maturity
(d) Her flowery innocence
2. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Despises him a little
(b) Sees him as a child
(c) Favors him over Frank
(d) Loves him
3. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) He wants to be with other women.
(b) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(c) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
(d) Lydia does not want him ever again.
4. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is volatile and quick tempered.
(b) She is active, and athletic.
(c) She is slow and meek.
(d) She is quiet, mild-mannered, but indomitable.
5. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(b) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
(c) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(d) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
6. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(b) He hopes to make her a lady.
(c) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(d) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
7. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is always singing and sewing.
(b) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
(c) She is spending more time with Tom.
(d) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
8. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of constant brandy drinking
(b) After three days of working in the fields
(c) After three days of silence and solitude
(d) After three days of praying
9. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) There is a goldrush.
(b) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(c) The town offers public education
(d) More people are getting married and having children
10. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She tells him to get out.
(b) She ignores him completely.
(c) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
(d) She is afraid of him.
11. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Heritage and money
(b) Class and virtue
(c) Wealth and power
(d) Education and experience
12. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
(a) He is full of magic and fascination to her.
(b) He is a stranger to her.
(c) He is cruel and heartless to her.
(d) He is indifferent and loveless to her.
13. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he objects to her antics
(b) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
(c) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
(d) Because he is irritated with her
14. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(c) He reads throughout the night.
(d) He works day and night.
15. What is Anna unable to tell William for four days, while they battle with each other?
(a) She loves someone else.
(b) She wants to leave him.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is sorry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will Brangwen feel guilty about while he is on his honeymoon?
2. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
3. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
4. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
5. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)