|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
(a) Because he is irritated with her
(b) Because he is uncritical and courteous to her
(c) Because he objects to her antics
(d) Because he raises his voice rudely to her
2. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
(a) He goes for long walks.
(b) He visits his local church which he loves.
(c) He carves wood.
(d) He rides his horse through the country side.
3. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Class and virtue
(b) Heritage and money
(c) Education and experience
(d) Wealth and power
4. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is always singing and sewing.
(b) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
(c) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
(d) She is spending more time with Tom.
5. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
(a) The pregnant Anna, dancing naked in the bedroom
(b) A child drowning in the pond
(c) An old woman, dead and alone for two weeks
(d) A violent knifing in Cossethay
6. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
(a) He is moody and miserable too.
(b) He is always happy.
(c) He doesn't care that his wife is in misery.
(d) He keeps the pain at the bottom of his heart and enjoys his life.
7. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(b) She decides to move back to Poland.
(c) She falls in love with the vicar.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
8. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They realize they do not belong together.
(b) They find they will never know one another.
(c) They find fulfillment in each other.
(d) They discover they do not love one another.
9. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(b) He does not care about mankind.
(c) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(d) He is too devout.
10. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He wants her desperately.
(b) He does not want Anna.
(c) He doesn't care for Anna.
(d) He loves Anna.
11. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
(a) Everyone needs other people
(b) Be happy to have a wife to go through life with
(c) No one can be happy alone.
(d) Go on with life by yourself
12. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is active, and athletic.
(b) She is quiet, mild-mannered, but indomitable.
(c) She is slow and meek.
(d) She is volatile and quick tempered.
13. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(b) He is above average in all his studies
(c) He is the best reader in the class.
(d) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
14. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
(a) When Tom gets back from school
(b) After the death of their mother
(c) When Effie becomes engaged
(d) After their father breaks his neck
15. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
2. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
3. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
4. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
5. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)