Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. Why does William begin to hate Anna as she talks to him about the carvings in the cathedral?
(a) She tells him he will never be awed as she is with the cathedral.
(b) She is more passionate about the cathedral than he is.
(c) She insults his carving abilities as she looks at the carvings in the church.
(d) She is destroying another one of his illusions.
3. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
(a) A traditional Polish couple
(b) The obedience of Polish citizens
(c) The new movement begun in Russia
(d) The joys of marriage
4. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(b) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(c) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(d) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
5. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
(a) When she is with her baby sister
(b) When her mother is in the house
(c) When her father returns home
(d) When the whole family gathers at the table
6. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She becomes quiet and still.
(b) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
(c) She screams hysterically.
(d) She kicks and screams.
7. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is rough and cruel to her.
(b) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(c) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(d) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
8. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
9. How does Anna get along with other children?
(a) She gets along with everyone.
(b) She dominates them, feeling they are inferior.
(c) She sees them as equals and has many friends.
(d) She loves being around other children.
10. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
(a) His soul soars up into the church.
(b) He is disappointed by the architecture.
(c) He is impressed with the murals.
(d) He doesn't feel any emotion.
11. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) When she marries Paul Lensky
(b) At the start of the war
(c) After her two children die of diphtheria
(d) When she becomes a nurse
12. Who invites Anna and William to visit them in Briswell?
(a) Paul Lensky
(b) Frank Brangwen
(c) Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent
(d) Alfred Brangwen
13. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(d) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
14. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
(b) The Marsh Farm
(d) The Brangwen Ranch
15. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
(a) She meets him on the road near his house.
(b) She meets him at church.
(c) She comes to his farm asking for butter.
(d) She meets him at the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel about his new son?
2. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
3. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
4. What type of child is Gudrun?
5. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)