|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
(a) Her flowery innocence
(b) Her maturity
(c) Her pregnancy
(d) Her ugly nature
2. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He does not care about mankind.
(b) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(c) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(d) He is too devout.
3. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks if he can court Anna.
(b) He asks if he can work on the farm.
(c) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(d) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
4. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He does not want Anna.
(b) He loves Anna.
(c) He wants her desperately.
(d) He doesn't care for Anna.
5. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(b) Candlesticks with carved flowers
(c) A jewelry box carved with birds
(d) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
6. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
(a) He is indifferent and loveless to her.
(b) He is cruel and heartless to her.
(c) He is a stranger to her.
(d) He is full of magic and fascination to her.
7. What does Anna say to Tom that cuts him to the heart?
(a) She tells him she is moving away.
(b) She tells him that she is never getting married.
(c) She tells him that she hates her mother.
(d) She tells him that he is not her father.
8. As Anna observes the Skrebensky's relationship, what does she wish for herself?
(a) She wishes William was more dominant.
(b) She wishes she and William were closer.
(c) She wants her own life, not absorbed by William.
(d) She wants to be as one person with William.
9. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
(a) They would be heavy, uninspired, and hateful.
(b) They would feel less intimidated.
(c) They would feel more at ease in public.
(d) They would feel more successful with their lives.
10. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
(d) The cathedral is his absolute.
11. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He reads throughout the night.
(c) He works day and night.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
12. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(b) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(c) He is rough and cruel to her.
(d) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
13. What does Will Brangwen feel guilty about while he is on his honeymoon?
(a) For shutting himself off from the world
(b) For ignoring Anna
(c) For wanting Anna so much
(d) For never wanting to go back to the world
14. Who invites Anna and William to visit them in Briswell?
(a) Frank Brangwen
(b) Alfred Brangwen
(c) Paul Lensky
(d) Baron Skrebensky and his new wife, Millicent
15. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
(b) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(c) He gives them his favorite stallion.
(d) He gives them a share in the farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
2. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
3. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
4. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
5. What does Anna find refreshing about the Skrebensky's relationship?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)