|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna react to her parent's relationship?
(a) She ignores both parents.
(b) She resents the relationship.
(c) She finds peace and can be a child now.
(d) She feels alone and unsafe.
2. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
(a) Soul mates
(b) A happy couple
(c) Everlasting partners
(d) An angel
3. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(c) Baron Skrebensky
4. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He reads throughout the night.
(b) He spends all his time at the bar.
(c) He works day and night.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
5. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
(a) Anna forces him to sleep alone.
(b) He forces Anna to sleep in another room.
(c) He leaves Anna for two weeks.
(d) He goes to church every day.
6. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
(a) He begins to hate Ursula.
(b) Everything Ursula does irritates him.
(c) He takes her to his heart.
(d) He ignores her in favor of Gudrun.
7. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(b) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(c) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(d) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
8. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
(a) She thinks they belittle her and despises them.
(b) She is very friendly when meeting other people.
(c) She loves other people.
(d) She enjoys conversing with other people.
9. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
(b) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(c) A jewelry box carved with birds
(d) Candlesticks with carved flowers
10. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(b) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(c) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(d) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
11. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is full of life and laughter.
(b) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(c) She becomes silent and distant.
(d) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
12. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) William won't let Anna go to church.
(b) Anna complains about money.
(c) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(d) William dislikes Anna's father.
13. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(b) She finds him annoying.
(c) She is indifferent to him.
(d) She finds him stupid and useless.
14. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
(a) She wants to remain in its confines forever.
(b) She feels God is alive at the altar.
(c) She is in awe, but prefers the freedom of the sky.
(d) She finally agrees with William's passion for the church.
15. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Anna and William
(b) Lydia Brangwen
(c) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(d) Alfred Brangwen's wife
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
2. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
3. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
4. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
5. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)