|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Anna and William go to see that excites him so much?
(a) The Thames
(b) Lincoln Cathedral
(c) The Tower of London
(d) Westminster Abbey
2. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(a) Baron Skrebensky
3. What angers Anna about Will's attitude at church?
(a) He does not care about mankind.
(b) He delves into the meaning of the service, ignoring her.
(c) He is overly passionate about the sermon.
(d) He is too devout.
4. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She becomes quiet and still.
(b) She screams hysterically.
(c) She kicks and screams.
(d) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
5. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
(a) Go on with life by yourself
(b) Be happy to have a wife to go through life with
(c) Everyone needs other people
(d) No one can be happy alone.
6. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Loves him
(b) Sees him as a child
(c) Favors him over Frank
(d) Despises him a little
7. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(b) Lydia Brangwen
(c) Anna and William
(d) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
8. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He works day and night.
(c) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
(d) He reads throughout the night.
9. How does Anna get along with other children?
(a) She gets along with everyone.
(b) She loves being around other children.
(c) She dominates them, feeling they are inferior.
(d) She sees them as equals and has many friends.
10. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
(a) She is embarrassed by her father's crassness.
(b) She is nervous and self-conscious.
(c) She is ecstatic, feeling lovely and flamboyant.
(d) She feels ugly and inferior.
11. When does Ursula feel the most secure, warm, and happy?
(a) When her father returns home
(b) When her mother is in the house
(c) When she is with her baby sister
(d) When the whole family gathers at the table
12. How old is Ursula when a third child is born to Anna and William?
13. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
(a) A butter stamp with a phoenix on it
(b) A jewelry box carved with birds
(c) A wooden bowl with carved ivy
(d) Candlesticks with carved flowers
14. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the pub for drinks
(b) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(c) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(d) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
15. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
(a) A violent knifing in Cossethay
(b) An old woman, dead and alone for two weeks
(c) A child drowning in the pond
(d) The pregnant Anna, dancing naked in the bedroom
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
2. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
3. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
4. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
5. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)