|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(b) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(c) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(d) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
2. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
(a) He revels in his life as a father and husband.
(b) He loves the large family and wishes for more children.
(c) It wears him down, making him haggard and irritable.
(d) He is the happiest he has ever been.
3. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
(a) She is very friendly when meeting other people.
(b) She thinks they belittle her and despises them.
(c) She enjoys conversing with other people.
(d) She loves other people.
4. How does Anna get along with other children?
(a) She loves being around other children.
(b) She gets along with everyone.
(c) She dominates them, feeling they are inferior.
(d) She sees them as equals and has many friends.
5. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
6. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(b) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(c) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
(d) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
7. What does Will ask Mr. and Mrs. Brangwen after he and Anna kiss in the cornfield?
(a) He asks for her hand in marriage.
(b) He asks if he can work on the farm.
(c) He asks if he can court Anna.
(d) He asks that they tell Anna he is leaving.
8. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He reads throughout the night.
(c) He works day and night.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
9. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He does not want Anna.
(b) He loves Anna.
(c) He wants her desperately.
(d) He doesn't care for Anna.
10. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She becomes quiet and still.
(b) She kicks and screams.
(c) She screams hysterically.
(d) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
11. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
(b) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He nods his head and heads for home.
12. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
(a) It is an equal partnership.
(b) It is full of humor and longing.
(c) It is full of love and conflict.
(d) It is carefree and loving.
13. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
(a) Because he misses Anna
(b) Because they are glowing and full of life
(c) Because it keeps him from work
(d) Because he likes to get away from home
14. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
(a) Everlasting partners
(b) Soul mates
(c) A happy couple
(d) An angel
15. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is spending more time with Tom.
(b) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
(c) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
(d) She is always singing and sewing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
2. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
3. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
4. Who tries to comfort William when the stress of four children becomes a heavy burden for him?
5. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)