|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(b) She is angry, wanting to move away.
(c) She accepts Tom immediately.
(d) She is happy to have a father.
2. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
(a) The new movement begun in Russia
(b) The obedience of Polish citizens
(c) A traditional Polish couple
(d) The joys of marriage
3. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(b) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(c) He is content with his way of life.
(d) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
4. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(b) He takes her to her mother.
(c) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(d) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
5. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
(a) He is terrified at her strangeness and cannot meet her eyes.
(b) He is ecstatic with joy and cannot wait to hold her.
(c) He is indifferent to his new wife.
(d) He is rough and cruel to her.
6. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(b) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(c) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(d) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
7. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is arrogant. He is humble.
(b) She is the storm. He is the calm.
(c) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(d) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
8. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(b) Anna and William
(c) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(d) Lydia Brangwen
9. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
(a) She feels God is alive at the altar.
(b) She finally agrees with William's passion for the church.
(c) She is in awe, but prefers the freedom of the sky.
(d) She wants to remain in its confines forever.
10. How old is Ursula when a third child is born to Anna and William?
11. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them his favorite stallion.
(b) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(c) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
(d) He gives them a share in the farm.
12. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
(a) When Effie becomes engaged
(b) After the death of their mother
(c) After their father breaks his neck
(d) When Tom gets back from school
13. What is Ursula's impression of her father?
(a) He is a stranger to her.
(b) He is indifferent and loveless to her.
(c) He is cruel and heartless to her.
(d) He is full of magic and fascination to her.
14. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
(a) She is nervous and self-conscious.
(b) She feels ugly and inferior.
(c) She is ecstatic, feeling lovely and flamboyant.
(d) She is embarrassed by her father's crassness.
15. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She still resents him.
(d) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of child is Gudrun?
2. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
3. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
4. What does William ask the girl sitting next to him in the Empire ?
5. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)