|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(b) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(c) To the pub for drinks
(d) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
2. How does Anna feel about people she meets outside the Marsh farm?
(a) She loves other people.
(b) She is very friendly when meeting other people.
(c) She enjoys conversing with other people.
(d) She thinks they belittle her and despises them.
3. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
(a) His soul soars up into the church.
(b) He is disappointed by the architecture.
(c) He doesn't feel any emotion.
(d) He is impressed with the murals.
4. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
(b) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(c) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(d) He takes her to her mother.
5. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
(a) Her cousin Will
(b) Her real father
(c) Her Uncle Alfred
(d) Her friend, Tilly
6. What does Anna say to Tom that cuts him to the heart?
(a) She tells him she is moving away.
(b) She tells him that she hates her mother.
(c) She tells him that he is not her father.
(d) She tells him that she is never getting married.
7. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(b) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(c) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
(d) He just wants it to be over.
8. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
(a) He worried that his sons will fight over the farm.
(b) He is afraid his sons will not want the farm.
(c) He worries about the farm and finances.
(d) He yearns for Anna's love because she is his hope.
9. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
(b) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(c) He passes out.
(d) He nods his head and heads for home.
10. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
(a) Why can't he leave her?
(b) What gift can he get for Anna?
(c) Will the baby bring them together?
(d) How can he be nicer to Anna?
11. What does William do to help him stop worrying about life and relaxing?
(a) He goes for long walks.
(b) He visits his local church which he loves.
(c) He carves wood.
(d) He rides his horse through the country side.
12. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
(a) He is always happy.
(b) He is moody and miserable too.
(c) He doesn't care that his wife is in misery.
(d) He keeps the pain at the bottom of his heart and enjoys his life.
13. What does Tom see in the loft of the barn that distresses him, making him feel like an old man?
(a) Anna and Will in each other's arms, kissing
(b) Rotted timbers that need to be replaced
(c) His gray haired wife, shooing the owls away
(d) His thirteen year old dog, dead in the hay
14. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
(a) When Effie becomes engaged
(b) After the death of their mother
(c) When Tom gets back from school
(d) After their father breaks his neck
15. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
(a) The Brangwen Ranch
(d) The Marsh Farm
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
3. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
4. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
5. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)