|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
(b) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
(c) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(d) She learned to obey her father.
2. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
(a) To the Marsh farm for a large meal
(b) To Alfred Brangwen's house for a reception
(c) To the church hall for dinner and dancing
(d) To the pub for drinks
3. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He nods his head and heads for home.
(b) He passes out.
(c) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(d) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
4. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
5. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(b) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(c) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(d) He is content with his way of life.
6. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
(a) They hold each other close, no longer hearing the voices.
(b) They become angry, wishing the men would leave.
(c) They look out the window and join in the singing.
(d) They go to another room, so they won't hear the singing.
7. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He loves Anna.
(b) He does not want Anna.
(c) He doesn't care for Anna.
(d) He wants her desperately.
8. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(b) He is the best reader in the class.
(c) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(d) He is above average in all his studies
9. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
(a) He wants to be with other women.
(b) Lydia does not want him as much as he wants her.
(c) He does not want Lydia as much as he used to.
(d) Lydia does not want him ever again.
10. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(b) Lydia Brangwen
(c) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(d) Anna and William
11. What is Anna's emotional response to the cathedral?
(a) She is in awe, but prefers the freedom of the sky.
(b) She finally agrees with William's passion for the church.
(c) She wants to remain in its confines forever.
(d) She feels God is alive at the altar.
12. How does Anna get along with other children?
(a) She sees them as equals and has many friends.
(b) She loves being around other children.
(c) She gets along with everyone.
(d) She dominates them, feeling they are inferior.
13. What gift does Tom give Will and Anna for their wedding?
(a) He gives them a horse and carriage.
(b) He gives them a cottage in Cossethay.
(c) He gives them a share in the farm.
(d) He gives them his favorite stallion.
14. How old is Ursula when a third child is born to Anna and William?
15. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Heritage and money
(b) Education and experience
(c) Wealth and power
(d) Class and virtue
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the description of the relationship between Anna and William in this chapter?
2. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
3. What is William's reaction when he steps through the doors of the cathedral?
4. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
5. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)