|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anna's initial reaction when the eleven men start singing in the garden of the cottage, outside Anna and Will's window?
2. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
(a) She still resents him.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She grows to love him, spending more time with him.
(d) She wants to move away from him with her mother and the baby.
3. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
(a) She is looking forward to the baby's birth.
(b) She is depressed, cries, and doesn't want Tom near her.
(c) She is spending more time with Tom.
(d) She is always singing and sewing.
4. What is the deep trouble that is between Anna and William?
(a) Anna mocks William's religious beliefs.
(b) William dislikes Anna's father.
(c) William won't let Anna go to church.
(d) Anna complains about money.
5. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
(b) Baron Skrebensky
6. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
(a) She is beaten down by William.
(b) She becomes content with another pregnancy.
(c) Her father tells her to grow up.
(d) Her mother tells her to be a responsible wife.
7. What is Anna's reaction when Tom carries her into the barn?
(a) She becomes quiet and still.
(b) She kicks and screams.
(c) She screams hysterically.
(d) She knocks over the cow's food pail.
8. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is full of life and laughter.
(b) She becomes silent and distant.
(c) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
(d) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
9. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
(a) He can't stand that they are complete strangers to each other.
(b) He can't bear that she was married before.
(c) He can't stand that she has a daughter.
(d) He can't bear that she is six years older than he is.
10. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
11. How do Anna and Will react as the men continue singing in the garden?
(a) They become angry, wishing the men would leave.
(b) They hold each other close, no longer hearing the voices.
(c) They go to another room, so they won't hear the singing.
(d) They look out the window and join in the singing.
12. How do Anna's temperament and William's temperament complement one another?
(a) She is arrogant. He is humble.
(b) She is the rain. He is the sunshine.
(c) She is sunlight. He is darkness.
(d) She is the storm. He is the calm.
13. William comes home from the park a changed man. How does Anna react to this new side of her husband?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) She tells him to get out.
(c) She ignores him completely.
(d) She is enthralled by his new strangeness.
14. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
(a) Alfred Brangwen's wife
(b) Lydia Brangwen
(c) Tom, Alfred, and Frank Brangwen
(d) Anna and William
15. What does Will discover about himself as he kisses Anna in the moonlight?
(a) He does not want Anna.
(b) He doesn't care for Anna.
(c) He loves Anna.
(d) He wants her desperately.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose imminent visit from Nottingham excites the 18-year-old Anna?
2. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
3. Where do the wedding party and guests go after the wedding ceremony?
4. What is the first woodworking gift Will gives to Anna?
5. What does Tom say a man's soul and a woman's soul united in marriage becomes?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)