|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Anna relinquish her adventurous spirit and wonder of the unknown?
(a) Her mother tells her to be a responsible wife.
(b) Her father tells her to grow up.
(c) She is beaten down by William.
(d) She becomes content with another pregnancy.
2. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(b) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(c) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(d) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
3. What type of child is Gudrun?
(a) She is volatile and quick tempered.
(b) She is slow and meek.
(c) She is quiet, mild-mannered, but indomitable.
(d) She is active, and athletic.
4. What lesson about life did Ursula learn at an early age after her father insults her for stepping in the seed beds?
(a) She learned to obey her father.
(b) She learned to harden herself from the outside world.
(c) She learned to rely on her sisters.
(d) She learned to go to her mother for sympathy.
5. Why does William suffer behind his bright face?
(a) He doesn't have enough to do.
(b) He knows he will never be close to Ursula.
(c) He fears the will of God.
(d) He knows he is limited and unfulfilled.
6. How does Anna feel about herself as she drives to the wedding with her father?
(a) She is embarrassed by her father's crassness.
(b) She is ecstatic, feeling lovely and flamboyant.
(c) She feels ugly and inferior.
(d) She is nervous and self-conscious.
7. What does Tom find hard to bear when he thinks about Mrs. Lensky?
(a) He can't stand that she has a daughter.
(b) He can't stand that they are complete strangers to each other.
(c) He can't bear that she is six years older than he is.
(d) He can't bear that she was married before.
8. How does Anna view her relationship with her cousin Will?
(a) He is her escape from the farm into the outside world.
(b) She finds him annoying.
(c) She finds him stupid and useless.
(d) She is indifferent to him.
9. How does Tom think his brother Alfred feels about him?
(a) Despises him a little
(b) Sees him as a child
(c) Favors him over Frank
(d) Loves him
10. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(b) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
(c) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
(d) They decide to have a horse race.
11. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(b) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(c) He is above average in all his studies
(d) He is the best reader in the class.
12. What gives Anna complete happiness and fulfillment?
(a) Being a mother
(b) Visiting her parents
(c) Being a wife
(d) Going to church
13. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She falls in love with the vicar.
(b) She decides to move back to Poland.
(c) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
14. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They find they will never know one another.
(b) They realize they do not belong together.
(c) They find fulfillment in each other.
(d) They discover they do not love one another.
15. How does William become reborn, learning to be himself and alone?
(a) He goes to church every day.
(b) He forces Anna to sleep in another room.
(c) He leaves Anna for two weeks.
(d) Anna forces him to sleep alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
2. Why is Millicent Skrebensky annoyed with William?
3. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
4. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
5. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)