|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Anna react to her parent's relationship?
(a) She ignores both parents.
(b) She feels alone and unsafe.
(c) She finds peace and can be a child now.
(d) She resents the relationship.
2. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(b) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(c) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(d) He is content with his way of life.
3. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) More people are getting married and having children
(b) The town offers public education
(c) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(d) There is a goldrush.
4. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of working in the fields
(b) After three days of constant brandy drinking
(c) After three days of praying
(d) After three days of silence and solitude
5. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She decides to move back to Poland.
(b) She falls in love with the vicar.
(c) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
2. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
3. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
4. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
5. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)