|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
(b) Quiet conversations
(c) Love and passion
(d) Her stories about Poland
2. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(b) There is a goldrush.
(c) The town offers public education
(d) More people are getting married and having children
3. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
(b) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(c) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(d) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
4. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
(a) She is constantly talking about the new baby.
(b) She becomes silent and distant.
(c) She is full of life and laughter.
(d) She wants to be with Tom constantly.
5. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(b) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
(c) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(d) He takes her to her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
2. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
3. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
4. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
5. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)