|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She falls in love with the vicar.
(b) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(c) She decides to move back to Poland.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
2. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) After her two children die of diphtheria
(b) At the start of the war
(c) When she marries Paul Lensky
(d) When she becomes a nurse
3. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
(a) He nods his head and heads for home.
(b) He picks her up, dancing around the room.
(c) He has to sit down, sealed in oblivion.
(d) He passes out.
4. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is happy to have a father.
(b) She accepts Tom immediately.
(c) She is angry, wanting to move away.
(d) She is glad her mother has a husband.
5. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
(a) Tom tells Tilly to let Anna go to bed in her clothes.
(b) Tom cuddles with Anna, saying she is a good girl.
(c) Tom spanks Anna, telling her to stop crying.
(d) Tom angrily undresses Anna, putting her in her nightdress himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna feel about Tom after the baby is born?
2. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
3. What is Tom's reaction to Lydia after they are married and the guests leave?
4. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
5. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)