|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
(a) The Marsh Farm
(b) The Brangwen Ranch
2. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) There is a goldrush.
(b) The town offers public education
(c) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(d) More people are getting married and having children
3. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of working in the fields
(b) After three days of silence and solitude
(c) After three days of constant brandy drinking
(d) After three days of praying
4. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) At the start of the war
(b) When she becomes a nurse
(c) After her two children die of diphtheria
(d) When she marries Paul Lensky
5. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(b) He just wants it to be over.
(c) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(d) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
2. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
3. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
4. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
5. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)