|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(b) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
(c) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(d) He just wants it to be over.
2. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
(a) She falls in love with the vicar.
(b) She meets Tom Brangwen in Cossethay.
(c) She decides to move back to Poland.
(d) She lives through her daughter.
3. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
(b) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(c) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(d) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
4. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
5. What do Lydia and Tom discover about each other after two years of marriage?
(a) They find they will never know one another.
(b) They realize they do not belong together.
(c) They discover they do not love one another.
(d) They find fulfillment in each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tom's reaction when Mrs. Lensky agrees to marry him?
2. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
3. When do Effie and Tom begin fiercely quarreling with each other?
4. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
5. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)