|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) When she marries Paul Lensky
(b) When she becomes a nurse
(c) After her two children die of diphtheria
(d) At the start of the war
2. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
(b) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
(c) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(d) He takes her to her mother.
3. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(b) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
(c) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(d) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
4. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
(a) The vicar's daughter
(c) Tilly's sister
(d) The Polish widow, Mrs. Lensky
5. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He is content with his way of life.
(b) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(c) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(d) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
2. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
3. What would happen to the women of Cossethay if the vicar, Lord William, and Mrs. Hardy were taken away from them?
4. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
5. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)