|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(b) He is content with his way of life.
(c) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
(d) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
2. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
(a) Education and experience
(b) Heritage and money
(c) Wealth and power
(d) Class and virtue
3. Where does Tom take Anna as she hysterically cries for her mother?
(a) He takes her in the quiet, warm barn to feed the cows.
(b) He takes her to her bed, demanding that she stop crying.
(c) He takes her to her mother.
(d) He takes her to the kitchen for a glass of water.
4. What is Anna's initial reaction to her mother's marriage to Tom?
(a) She is happy to have a father.
(b) She accepts Tom immediately.
(c) She is glad her mother has a husband.
(d) She is angry, wanting to move away.
5. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(b) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(c) He hopes to make her a lady.
(d) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Anna get along with other children?
2. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
3. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
4. What does Tom crave more than ever from his wife?
5. What is the bitter lesson Tom learns after his son is born?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)