|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the care of the farm fall upon Tom's shoulders when he is eighteen?
(a) His father falls off the stack, breaking his neck.
(b) His father feels he is ready to take on the responsibility
(c) His mother forces him to do the farming.
(d) His brother, Alfred, tells his he has to do the farming.
2. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
(a) After three days of working in the fields
(b) After three days of constant brandy drinking
(c) After three days of praying
(d) After three days of silence and solitude
3. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
(a) He spends all his time at the bar.
(b) He works day and night.
(c) He reads throughout the night.
(d) He becomes closer to Anna and drinks more.
4. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) At the start of the war
(b) After her two children die of diphtheria
(c) When she becomes a nurse
(d) When she marries Paul Lensky
5. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(b) He just wants it to be over.
(c) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(d) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have generations of Brangwens lived?
2. How does Lydia emerge from her indifference, becoming a new person?
3. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
4. Where is Anna's favorite place to stop on the way to the cattle market?
5. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)