|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How successful is Tom Brangwen at his school studies?
(a) His brain is slow, hopeless, and good for nothing.
(b) He is above average in all his studies
(c) He is at the top of his class in mathematics
(d) He is the best reader in the class.
2. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
(a) She enjoys all the men, smells, and noise around her.
(b) She likes talking to all the men at the market.
(c) She feels grown up and hopes Tom will stay away for a while.
(d) She feels alone and thinks Tom will never come back to get her.
3. Who does Tom believe he is destined to marry?
(a) Tilly's sister
(b) The vicar's daughter
(c) The Polish widow, Mrs. Lensky
4. How does Tom feel about himself after meeting Alfred's lover, the lady, Mrs. Forbes?
(a) He is content with his way of life.
(b) He is thankful that he doesn't need to live up to a lady's expectations.
(c) He is glad he has the quiet life of a farmer.
(d) He regrets taking over the farm and not making more of his life.
5. When does a darkness and dread come over Lydia's mind?
(a) After her two children die of diphtheria
(b) At the start of the war
(c) When she marries Paul Lensky
(d) When she becomes a nurse
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason Tom Brangwen's wife believes the vicar's children are seen as superior to her own?
2. When does Tom find the end of youth's passionate desire, losing his individuality?
3. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
4. What does Brangwen find to replace the desires he has for his wife?
5. How does Tom finally meet Mrs. Lensky, carrying on a conversation with her?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)