|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 14.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom Brangwen die after returning home from Nottingham?
(a) He drowns in the flood.
(b) He has a heart attack.
(c) He dies in his sleep.
(d) His horse kicks him in the head.
2. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
(b) They decide to have a horse race.
(c) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(d) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
3. How does Tom feel about his new son?
(a) He loves Anna more than his own son.
(b) He wishes he had a baby girl instead.
(c) He loves his son more than his step-daughter, Anna.
(d) He adores his new son and wants to hold him constantly.
4. What is Tom's secret desire for Anna?
(a) He hopes she will take over the farm someday.
(b) He hopes she will marry a rich man.
(c) He hopes she will return to Poland when she grows up.
(d) He hopes to make her a lady.
5. What are William's thoughts about the cathedral as he returns home?
(a) The cathedral is his doorway to heaven.
(b) The cathedral is his reality.
(c) The cathedral is his absolute.
(d) The cathedral doorway to eternity is false.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Christmas day that disappoints the Brangwens?
2. What is Lydia's mental state in the last few months of her pregnancy?
3. Why does Tom love to visit Anna and William?
4. Who is the person Anna meets that she considers a real person of consequence?
5. How does Ursula react when her father slaps her across the face for letting the children in the parish room?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)