|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
(b) He just wants it to be over.
(c) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
(d) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
2. What do Tom, Alfred, Frank, the brother-in-law, William's brother, and six other men decide to do after Anna and Will leave for their cottage?
(a) They decide to have wrestling matches.
(b) They decide to have a horse race.
(c) They decide to go to the pub for a drink.
(d) They decide to go to the cottage and sing a carol.
3. Why is Tom glad that his wife Lydia is there for him on Anna's wedding day?
(a) She will help him forget his loss of Anna.
(b) She will tell him what he should do during the ceremony.
(c) She will arrange the party after the wedding.
(d) She will sustain him among all of the people attending the wedding.
4. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
(a) He keeps the pain at the bottom of his heart and enjoys his life.
(b) He is always happy.
(c) He is moody and miserable too.
(d) He doesn't care that his wife is in misery.
5. Why does the town of Cossethay grow quickly, making the Brangwen's richer?
(a) There is a goldrush.
(b) The Midland Railway comes down the valley.
(c) More people are getting married and having children
(d) The town offers public education
Short Answer Questions
1. What continues to torment Tom even though he is proud and fulfilled in his marriage?
2. How does Lydia act toward Tom when she becomes pregnant?
3. How does Anna react as she sits at the bar while Tom goes to sell his cow at the cattle market?
4. What does Alfred tell Tom every person must do?
5. Who dominates the whole wedding party?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)