|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom feel as he watches his wife in the pain of childbirth?
(a) He just wants it to be over.
(b) His heart is tortured, yet he is at peace.
(c) He wishes they weren't having a baby.
(d) He is indifferent to her moans of pain.
2. What terrifies Ursula about her Uncle Tom as he grieves for his father?
(a) His indifference to his father's death
(b) His unforgiving eyes
(c) His animal-like grimace and horrible grin
(d) His uncontrollable crying
3. What is it about Anna that leaves William unsatisfied and unfulfilled?
(a) Her flowery innocence
(b) Her pregnancy
(c) Her ugly nature
(d) Her maturity
4. What is the question William asks himself when he and Anna are constantly tormenting one another?
(a) Why can't he leave her?
(b) Will the baby bring them together?
(c) What gift can he get for Anna?
(d) How can he be nicer to Anna?
5. How does William's relationship with Ursula change after the birth of Gudrun?
(a) He ignores her in favor of Gudrun.
(b) Everything Ursula does irritates him.
(c) He takes her to his heart.
(d) He begins to hate Ursula.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does William witness that torments him for the rest of his life?
2. What do Paul, a young doctor, and Lydia Lensky, a nurse, represent in Poland?
3. How does William adapt to life as a husband and father of three children?
4. What is Tom's attitude toward his own life while his wife is miserable?
5. How does Tom react when Anna refuses to let Tilly put her in her nightdress?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)