|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how old was Mrs. Smith's son when he was killed in World War II?
2. Of what city was Eccles' grandfather Bishop?
3. For what ostensible expense does Harry give Ruth fifteen dollars at the end of dinner?
4. What is the only skyscraper in Brewer?
5. What building is directly across the street from Ruth's apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rebecca Angstrom die?
2. Describe Lucy Eccles.
3. How is Janice's attitude toward Rabbit conflicted at this point?
4. Why does Jack Eccles despair after his visits to the Springers, Angstroms, and Kruppenbach?
5. Describe Nelson Angstrom.
6. What has Rabbit decided about Ruth by the end of this section?
7. What disagreement do Harry and Ruth have regarding religion?
8. What does Reverend Kruppenbach believe is the true vocation of a preacher?
9. Why does Harry take off his shoes on his walk up Mt. Judge?
10. What does Mr. Springer tell Harry when they first talk after Rebecca's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Angstrom is a classic American man-child, a grown figure who has not been able to develop emotionally past his adolescence. Write an essay about the stunted development of Harry, focusing on his relationship to those older than him and to women. Who does he look to for guidance, and how does he expect it to be given? What is his attitude toward sex and fidelity?
Essay Topic 2
Harry Angstrom feels terrorized by both his parents and his in-laws. They, in turn, are sharply and painfully divided in their opinions to of his actions. Write an essay regarding the parents in RABBIT, RUN, dividing them into those that fiercely support Harry and those that grow to revile him. Why do some stick by him? What does he mean to these people?
Essay Topic 3
Marty Tothero seems like a cautionary figure when the prodigal Harry shows up at the Sunshine Athletic Association. He is separated from his wife, living in a storage closet, and occasionally attached to a likely prostitute. Write an essay about Tothero and Harry as kindred souls. What warnings does Tothero make to Harry? How does Harry feel like Tothero in his second date with Ruth and Margaret? Why does Harry always want to get away from Tothero?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)