|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following people is not among the list of blessings Rabbit makes in the morning?
2. What television show do Janis and Harry watch?
3. Which of the following is not a movie that Harry has recently seen with Ruth?
4. How long has Rabbit been separated from Janice at the beginning of this section?
5. What had Rabbit stopped doing since beginning his gardening at Mrs. Smith's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry Angstrom confess to Eccles that he believes is his place in the universe?
2. What does Reverend Kruppenbach believe is the true vocation of a preacher?
3. Why is Joyce Eccles afraid?
4. What excuse does Janice make to her father regarding Harry?
5. What obstacles does Rabbit face trying to retrieve his clothes?
6. Describe Tothero's living arrangements.
7. Why does Rabbit leave his car at Janice's apartment?
8. What does Harry realize about Tothero as they leave the Sunshine gym?
9. What factors cause Harry to storm out of Club Castanet?
10. Describe the argument Harry has with Ruth about her going to the bathroom.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry Angstrom hold three jobs over the course of Rabbit, Run. Write an essay in three parts, examining these different jobs and what they say about his attitude toward work in general. Does he believe he can do better than these jobs? Which does he like best? What bothers him about he jobs he dislikes?
Part 1) Magipeel Demonstrator
Part 2) Mrs Smith's gardener
Part 3) Car salesman
Essay Topic 2
If Harry Angstrom is a child in a man's body, Ruth Leonard becomes a woman very early in her life. She is the pragmatic center of the novel, a survivor. Write an essay about Ruth's objectives throughout the novel. Why does she decide to take Harry back to her apartment, and why does she let him stay? What in her past has prepared her for the worst this man can offer? What does she do when she realizes he has left her, and how does she react when he returns?
Essay Topic 3
The world of RABBIT, RUN is one in which the past and present become intermingled. Harry constantly looks to the past for inspiration and comfort. Other people look back with a certain sadness. Write an essay about the past's role in the novel:
Part 1) How do Harry and Janice look back on the beginning of their relationship with a mixture of yearning and disdain? What did each expect from the relationship? How did the birth of Nelson change things?
Part 2) What is the high point of Harry Angstrom's life? What memory from this high water mark does he repeatedly recall throughout the novel? What does this memory do for him?
Part 3) What specific episodes from Ruth's past does she recall as she lays by the swimming pool with Harry? How do these memories inform her expectations from Harry? What does she expect and fear?
This section contains 2,535 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)