Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of flower garden does Eccles secure Harry a job tending?
2. To what does Mrs. Smith twice compare the Bianchi that she and her husband brought in from New York?
3. During what Catholic holy day does this section of reading take place?
4. What television show do Janis and Harry watch?
5. On the way to meet their girls, to what animal does Tothero compare women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry take off his shoes on his walk up Mt. Judge?
2. Describe Janice Angstrom.
3. How is Harry and Lucy's first meeting dangerous?
4. How is Janice's attitude toward Rabbit conflicted at this point?
5. Why does Rabbit leave his car at Janice's apartment?
6. How is Harry greeted at the hospital?
7. Why do Tothero and Margaret leave dinner early?
8. How does Ruth make fun of Harry regarding Chinese food?
9. How does Harry find out that his child has died?
10. What excuse does Janice make to her father regarding Harry?
Essay Topic 1
Harry Angstrom is a classic American man-child, a grown figure who has not been able to develop emotionally past his adolescence. Write an essay about the stunted development of Harry, focusing on his relationship to those older than him and to women. Who does he look to for guidance, and how does he expect it to be given? What is his attitude toward sex and fidelity?
Essay Topic 2
The novel RABBIT, RUN contains much discussion of the elusive nature of faith. Harry struggles with the idea of the divine for a long time, unable to explain it to anyone, even himself. Write an essay on faith in the novel, in three parts:
Part 1) Ruth, an agnostic, is sickened by the church across the street from her apartment. How does Harry defend the idea of God in both her apartment and atop Mt. Judge? What was he raised believing?
Part 2) As Jack Eccles and Harry play golf, Harry explains the reason for his leaving home. To what extent is Harry's initial journey from his family a religious pilgrimage? What does he seek?
Part 3) Examine how the death of Rebecca Angstrom affects Harry's faith. How does he reconcile his notion of God with the senseless death of his child?
Essay Topic 3
Marty Tothero seems like a cautionary figure when the prodigal Harry shows up at the Sunshine Athletic Association. He is separated from his wife, living in a storage closet, and occasionally attached to a likely prostitute. Write an essay about Tothero and Harry as kindred souls. What warnings does Tothero make to Harry? How does Harry feel like Tothero in his second date with Ruth and Margaret? Why does Harry always want to get away from Tothero?
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)