|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Akasha knows something about Lestat's nature. What is it?
2. What is Lestat imbibing when he is with Akasha that gives him power and pleasure?
3. What is Lestat's reaction to the vision of Baby Jenks dying?
4. What image blinks through Lestat's mind when he looks at Jesse?
5. Where had Lestat been happiest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Lestat is very reluctant to cooperate with Akasha's plan and tries to talk her out of it. What is it about him that attracts her, even though she can't control him?
2. What weapon with sentimental meaning does Akasha show Lestat in his father's castle?
3. Describe Lestat's feelings as he watches Akasha's plan unfolding.
4. What has Jesse seen that adds to the vampires' belief Mekare is sending the dreams?
5. Why is Akasha so intent on questioning the twins and, through them, the spirits? What does she hopes to gain?
6. Why does Marius feel so strongly about seeing Armand--whom he calls Amadeo--again?
7. Akasha commands Lestat to kill in her name, starting with male acolytes at Azim's temple. What is his reaction to the order?
8. What is Marius' reaction to the gathering of vampires which he has joined?
9. Marius suggests that Akasha postpone her plans until she can see that humans are evolving toward peace on their own. What is Akasha's response?
10. When the twins fail to restore them, the King and Queen first vow to kill them but settle for plucking out Maharet's eyes and cutting out Mekare's tongue. What happens to the eyes and the tongue, and then what happens to the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the start, various characters in The Queen of the Damned express the desire to be--or at least, to feel--human. Lestat, Armand and Pandora all have different strategies for recalling the sensations of being alive and human. What is it that the vampires miss about being human? What are the sensations they miss, how do they attempt to relive them, and are they successful in their efforts? Give examples and evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Several vampire characters have expressed the feeling that they lost something by becoming vampires. Several are reluctant to make other vampires, even when the individual begs. What human aspects do the vampire lose and why does it matter? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
There are several sexually charged and/or committed relationships between vampires in The Queen of the Damned. The sexual aspect or symbolism is particularly strong when a mortal is made into a vampire. What purpose do those scenes or images serve in developing the theme or themes of the book? Use examples to support your argument.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)