|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marius wish he had done when he had the chance?
2. What does Maharet reveal to the gathering?
3. What does Akasha want from Lestat, as she is taking him from place to place to see the poor and downtrodden?
4. What are Lestat's thoughts as he falls deeper and deeper into Akasha's spell?
5. What does Marius notices that every surviving vampire has in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. Marius suggests that Akasha postpone her plans until she can see that humans are evolving toward peace on their own. What is Akasha's response?
2. What does Maharet say about Akasha's dream?
3. How does Lestat feel about the events that led to him becoming a vampire?
4. Why is Akasha so intent on questioning the twins and, through them, the spirits? What does she hopes to gain?
5. Akasha commands Lestat to kill in her name, starting with male acolytes at Azim's temple. What is his reaction to the order?
6. When the twins fail to restore them, the King and Queen first vow to kill them but settle for plucking out Maharet's eyes and cutting out Mekare's tongue. What happens to the eyes and the tongue, and then what happens to the twins?
7. What, to Maharet, is more important than her life, even more important than finding her twin?
8. What weapon with sentimental meaning does Akasha show Lestat in his father's castle?
9. Lestat is very reluctant to cooperate with Akasha's plan and tries to talk her out of it. What is it about him that attracts her, even though she can't control him?
10. Maharet has searched for her twin for 6,000 years. What clues or proof has she had over that time that Mekare is alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gathering of the vampires includes some who are ancient and some who are newly made. Pick three--of varying age and/or temperament--and analyze what strengths they bring to the situation at hand.
Essay Topic 2
Mahareta shows her fellow surviving vampires a family tree of the mortal descendants of her daughter Miriam. She says that protecting that family as it grew and spread gave her a reason for continuing. The other vampires are moved and acknowledge the importance of these mortals. What is it about the family that is important to the vampires? What are they willing to sacrifice in order to protect that family and other mortal families? How do the feelings expressed by the vampires fit into the themes of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses Baby Jenks as a contradictory character, one who experiences death--both her own and that of others--several times in this short chapter. What are her experiences of death and how are they relevant to the on-going story of the vampires?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)