|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mekare and Maharet rescue the king and queen?
2. What is the reaction of the other vampires as Akasha is destroyed?
3. Akasha knows something about Lestat's nature. What is it?
4. What does Akasha want Lestat to do for her?
5. The idea that Mekare is alive and sending the dreams causes what emotions among the older vampires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weapon with sentimental meaning does Akasha show Lestat in his father's castle?
2. Akasha commands Lestat to kill in her name, starting with male acolytes at Azim's temple. What is his reaction to the order?
3. Marius suggests that Akasha postpone her plans until she can see that humans are evolving toward peace on their own. What is Akasha's response?
4. Who was keeping Akasha still on the throne and what does she do to that person?
5. Does Lestat believe in Akasha's quest? Why or why not?
6. Why is Akasha so intent on questioning the twins and, through them, the spirits? What does she hopes to gain?
7. What is Marius' reaction to the gathering of vampires which he has joined?
8. What has Jesse seen that adds to the vampires' belief Mekare is sending the dreams?
9. Once the twins are back in their cell, what does Amel tell them about himself?
10. When the twins fail to restore them, the King and Queen first vow to kill them but settle for plucking out Maharet's eyes and cutting out Mekare's tongue. What happens to the eyes and the tongue, and then what happens to the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From the start, various characters in The Queen of the Damned express the desire to be--or at least, to feel--human. Lestat, Armand and Pandora all have different strategies for recalling the sensations of being alive and human. What is it that the vampires miss about being human? What are the sensations they miss, how do they attempt to relive them, and are they successful in their efforts? Give examples and evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 2
As Maharet tells the saga of the twins to the assembled vampires, she recalls an argument between Mekare and the evil spirit Amel about the nature of flesh, spirit and soul. As a result, Amel lingers around the witches. Eventually, he does something catastrophic. Discuss the argument between Amel and Mekare. How does it explain Amel's subsequent action?
Essay Topic 3
The night before Lestat's concert, Armand gives in to Daniel's obsessive desire to become a vampire. Armand says he does this out of love and weakness. What benefits will Armand get out of making Daniel immortal? What are the drawbacks for Daniel, considering that he really wants to be a vampire? Did Armand make the right decision? Why or why not? Do modern Americans face similar dilemmas when balancing what they want and the consequences to getting what they want?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)