|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Akasha say to Marius just before she pushes him?
2. What revelation does the archeologist have on his deathbed?
3. What does Daniel have to do to avoid being killed by Armand?
4. What does Khayman decide after his encounter with Akasha?
5. What realization does Khayman come to even before the concert begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Baby Jenks feeling disturbed?
2. Mael is at Lestat's concert. What is he doing there and who sent him? Who volunteers to be his ally?
3. How does Akasha mock Marius when she awakens?
4. Why does Baby Jenks dislike her mother?
5. What is Armand's dilemma in deciding whether to make Daniel a vampire?
6. How does Marius feel about Akasha and Enkil?
7. What is Jesse's first reaction when David Talbot asked her to investigate the veracity of Interview with the Vampire?
8. Is there any reason or purpose to the fact that Khayman has regained consciousness at the same time as Akasha? What is it? Is there a literary term that could be applied to Khayman's questioning?
9. When Khayman, before the concert, gets up to move closer to another vampire, the narrator says: "He would be near to one of these two...That's what he had wanted in Athens...To be near another like himself. To speak, to touch...something." What theme does this passage illustrate?
10. Is Killer a good teacher for a new vampire? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Maharet tells the saga of the twins to the assembled vampires, she recalls an argument between Mekare and the evil spirit Amel about the nature of flesh, spirit and soul. As a result, Amel lingers around the witches. Eventually, he does something catastrophic. Discuss the argument between Amel and Mekare. How does it explain Amel's subsequent action?
Essay Topic 2
What genre or genres is The Queen of the Damned? Give a thesis, a definition of the chosen genre, and supportive examples from the book. Discuss whether the book overlaps any other genres or in some significant way does not fit the classical definition of the chosen genre. You may also discuss "sub-genres" contained within the main narrative.
Essay Topic 3
There are several sexually charged and/or committed relationships between vampires in The Queen of the Damned. The sexual aspect or symbolism is particularly strong when a mortal is made into a vampire. What purpose do those scenes or images serve in developing the theme or themes of the book? Use examples to support your argument.
This section contains 1,064 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)