|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Baby Jenks reveals to her mother that she was no longer a virgin, what does her mother do?
2. What does Pandora remember most vividly about feeding on a human's blood?
3. What does Maharet do when she discovers Mael "kissing" Jesse.
4. What is Marius' job?
5. How does Azim feel about his life as a vampire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What additional information is added by the discovery of the second set of cave paintings?
2. When Khayman, before the concert, gets up to move closer to another vampire, the narrator says: "He would be near to one of these two...That's what he had wanted in Athens...To be near another like himself. To speak, to touch...something." What theme does this passage illustrate?
3. Why does Baby Jenks dislike her mother?
4. Is there any reason or purpose to the fact that Khayman has regained consciousness at the same time as Akasha? What is it? Is there a literary term that could be applied to Khayman's questioning?
5. What is Jesse's first reaction when David Talbot asked her to investigate the veracity of Interview with the Vampire?
6. How are Khayman and Akasha related in terms of age and power? What do these factors mean in terms of their modern-day relationship?
7. What happens to Daniel after ten years, when Armand doesn't make him a vampire?
8. What is Armand's dilemma in deciding whether to make Daniel a vampire?
9. Does Pandora enjoy drinking the blood of Azim's followers?
10. In Chapter 4, The Story of Daniel, what point does the author make about how many vampires decide to take a particular action that doesn't seem to make sense?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What genre or genres is The Queen of the Damned? Give a thesis, a definition of the chosen genre, and supportive examples from the book. Discuss whether the book overlaps any other genres or in some significant way does not fit the classical definition of the chosen genre. You may also discuss "sub-genres" contained within the main narrative.
Essay Topic 2
The gathering of the vampires includes some who are ancient and some who are newly made. Pick three--of varying age and/or temperament--and analyze what strengths they bring to the situation at hand.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout The Queen of the Damned, vampires and some mortals struggle with the concepts of right and wrong, mortality and immortality, spirit and flesh, belief and non-belief. In your opinion, what is the outcome? Use examples to illustrate your thesis.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)