|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Marius' job?
2. Lestat's concert took place in what city?
3. What is the "dark gift"?
4. Where is Pandora headed when the reader first sees her?
5. What is Daniel doing when he meets Armand?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the concert, Jesse throws herself against Lestat and wraps her arms around him. Why does she feel the need to touch him, and what does she learn from the experience?
2. Why is Pandora so worried about Marius?
3. What additional information is added by the discovery of the second set of cave paintings?
4. Why does Khayman hate Akasha?
5. In Chapter 4, The Story of Daniel, what point does the author make about how many vampires decide to take a particular action that doesn't seem to make sense?
6. What happens in Lestat's music video, which Marius sees in a television store window?
7. Why do some of the vampires view their telepathic gift--the ability to read the minds of mortals and other vampires--as something of a curse?
8. What does Jesse notice about Maharet and Mael that at first leads her to think of them as "different" and eventually to realize that they are vampires?
9. Why does Baby Jenks dislike her mother?
10. What seems to be happening in the first cave paintings of the twins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Pandora and Khayman are portrayed as longing to be human, and Khayman is described as almost unbearably lonely during the concert events. Analyze their characters, the relationship between the two (if any), and the reasons why the author put these two characters together.
Essay Topic 2
The author describes Pandora and Azim as characters who are opposite in their adaption to the vampire existence. Pandora yearns for life as a human, tries not to use her powers, and restrains herself from feeding on blood. Azim is lusty and vigorous in his pursuit of blood and celebrates his life as a vampire. Are there any parallels in the ways that human individuals live? Should either Pandora or Azim change their ways?
Essay Topic 3
There are many allusions to Christian rituals, beliefs, and themes throughout The Queen of the Damned but they are particularly prominent in the chapter describing events at the concert. Why does the author use those images and references? Support your theory with examples. Did she use them effectively? Would the meaning of the book be markedly different without them?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)