|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Baby Jenks reveals to her mother that she was no longer a virgin, what does her mother do?
2. What has Baby Jenks seen while searching for the Fang Gang?
3. What are the Himalayas?
4. What does Lestat hope will happen at the concert?
5. How is Lestat's character described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lestat ask David Talbot of the Telamasca and why is Talbot's answer so important?
2. How does Marius feel about Akasha and Enkil?
3. What happens in Lestat's music video, which Marius sees in a television store window?
4. What seems to be happening in the first cave paintings of the twins?
5. Is Killer a good teacher for a new vampire? Why or why not?
6. Mael is at Lestat's concert. What is he doing there and who sent him? Who volunteers to be his ally?
7. What does Jesse notice about Maharet and Mael that at first leads her to think of them as "different" and eventually to realize that they are vampires?
8. Who is Lestat and what was his role in the second book of the <i>Chronicles of the Vampire</i>?
9. How are Khayman and Akasha related in terms of age and power? What do these factors mean in terms of their modern-day relationship?
10. When Khayman, before the concert, gets up to move closer to another vampire, the narrator says: "He would be near to one of these two...That's what he had wanted in Athens...To be near another like himself. To speak, to touch...something." What theme does this passage illustrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many allusions to Christian rituals, beliefs, and themes throughout The Queen of the Damned but they are particularly prominent in the chapter describing events at the concert. Why does the author use those images and references? Support your theory with examples. Did she use them effectively? Would the meaning of the book be markedly different without them?
Essay Topic 2
Would you, if given the choice, choose immortality over being human? If so, why? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
What genre or genres is The Queen of the Damned? Give a thesis, a definition of the chosen genre, and supportive examples from the book. Discuss whether the book overlaps any other genres or in some significant way does not fit the classical definition of the chosen genre. You may also discuss "sub-genres" contained within the main narrative.
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)