|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who surprises Khayman by showing up at the concert?
2. How old is Jesse when she visits Maharet?
3. Which of Lestat's songs does Baby Jenks like best?
4. Where is Pandora headed when the reader first sees her?
5. What does Lestat look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pandora so worried about Marius?
2. When Khayman, before the concert, gets up to move closer to another vampire, the narrator says: "He would be near to one of these two...That's what he had wanted in Athens...To be near another like himself. To speak, to touch...something." What theme does this passage illustrate?
3. What has Marius done to entertain Akasha and Enkil over the centuries?
4. Mael is at Lestat's concert. What is he doing there and who sent him? Who volunteers to be his ally?
5. Are there other factors besides love in the reunion of Daniel and Armand?
6. How does Khayman feel when he wakes up (besides hungry)? How does this feeling tie in with one of the themes of the book?
7. What is the point of view of the prologue. Does the reader know if this will continue throughout the book?
8. How are Khayman and Akasha related in terms of age and power? What do these factors mean in terms of their modern-day relationship?
9. Is there any reason or purpose to the fact that Khayman has regained consciousness at the same time as Akasha? What is it? Is there a literary term that could be applied to Khayman's questioning?
10. How does Marius feel about Akasha and Enkil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several female characters have been described. Pandora is aloof and longs to be human. Akasha is a vampire with a religious fervor to save the world. Maharet seems to have some wisdom that has kept her awake for centuries. What sense does a reader get about the female vampire's place in their world? Is it positive or negative? Support your argument with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
At the conference between Akasha and the other vampires, she argues first with Marius and then with Mahareta. What is the thrust of Marius' argument and how does Akasha refute what he says? How does Mahareta frame her opposition to Akasha's plan? What are the most persuasive points that Marius and Mahareta make?
Essay Topic 3
The gathering of the vampires includes some who are ancient and some who are newly made. Pick three--of varying age and/or temperament--and analyze what strengths they bring to the situation at hand.
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)