|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The idea that Mekare is alive and sending the dreams causes what emotions among the older vampires?
(a) Joy that she is alive and apparently coming to see them.
(b) Annoyance that their sleep has been so badly disturbed the past 10 nights.
(c) A certain dread about her purpose in sending the dreams.
(d) Apprehension that she will join ranks with their enemies.
2. Who or what mortally wounded Akasha and Enkil when they were humans?
(a) Khayman, out of guilt for what they made him do to the twins.
(b) A falling marble pillar, rocked from its foundation in an earthquake.
(c) Noblemen, who wanted to be rid of the king and queen so they could return to their old traditions.
(d) An evil spirit, acting on behest of the red-haired twins.
3. Who is the first vampire at the meeting to raise objections to Akasha's plan?
4. How does Enkil come to rule his kingdom?
(a) The people of the Nile Valley anoint him king while he is still a child.
(b) Like Oedipus, he slays his father and marries his mother.
(c) His mother dies and there are no female realtives to ascend to the throne.
(d) He is chosen by lottery, as is the custom of his people.
5. What finally breaks Khayman's spirit?
(a) The rotting corpse of his father, dancing at the front door.
(b) A severed horse head under his sheets.
(c) A big dead fish, wrapped in newspapers.
(d) A brown bag on his doorstep, filled with excrement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Mekare and Maharet rescue the king and queen?
2. What does Akasha believe will be the result of her reign?
3. What enemy did Lestat slay when he was mortal?
4. Why doesn't Akasha accept Lestat's suggestion that she just dazzle men into obedience rather than kill them?
5. Gabrielle wants to destroy Akasha for taking her son, Lestat. What does she ask Maharet about that plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Akasha so intent on questioning the twins and, through them, the spirits? What does she hopes to gain?
2. Does Lestat believe in Akasha's quest? Why or why not?
3. Akasha wants 99 percent of male humans killed, reasoning that a world ruled by women will be more peaceful than the world under the rule of men. What is the irony of that plan?
4. Marius suggests that Akasha postpone her plans until she can see that humans are evolving toward peace on their own. What is Akasha's response?
5. What weapon with sentimental meaning does Akasha show Lestat in his father's castle?
6. Khayman is the longtime servant of the King and Queen. He also has a soft spot for the twins. To whom is he the most loyal during the early period of the vampires?
7. Enkil and Akasha are frightened and ashamed of what they have become, even though they have no name for it. What has come over them and how do they act?
8. Once the twins are back in their cell, what does Amel tell them about himself?
9. What does Maharet say about Akasha's dream?
10. What has Jesse seen that adds to the vampires' belief Mekare is sending the dreams?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)