|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls twice while Burnham and the President are talking?
2. Why does Dyanna not like Eva?
3. In his statement that he starts the news conference with, what earlier event does the President refer to?
4. How does Dyanna find out that Sarah had kicked Burnham out?
5. What lie did Lyndon Johnson tell about his grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eva think of Burnham?
2. Is it surprising that the couple in the car Burnham saw on his way into the apartment turn out to be working for Epstein?
3. Describe why Burnham is not fired after that first meeting with the President.
4. Who is Teal referring to when he speaks of B-12?
5. How does Eva use her knowledge of Burnham's health issues to her advantage?
6. What thoughts does Burnham have about his motivations for kissing Dyanna?
7. Who is the first person Burnham wants to call from his new office?
8. What is the topic of the meeting that Burnham attends with the President?
9. What is Pym relieved about when he called Teal?
10. Describe Burnham's opinion on the Invasion of the Honduras.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Burnham's relationship with Eva cause him to lose his job? Explain using examples from the text.
1) Did Eva care about what Burnham does for a living?
2) Did Eva enjoy spying on Burnham?
3) Does Eva help Burnham? How?
Essay Topic 2
Timothy Burnham's wife, Sarah, believes he is an unprincipled man.
Part 1) Would you agree with this opinion of Burnham?
Part 2) Why or why not? Provide some examples from the text supporting your point of view.
Part 3) Did your opinion of Burnham change as the book progressed? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)