|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he speaks with ABC, what does Pym hope that Eva will do?
2. Does the President say what happens to Burnham?
3. Where does Eva go when she left Pym's?
4. What does Burnham compare kissing Dyanna to?
5. Who does Burnham want to call after he found his new office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Burnham feeling proud after the President's speech on the Honduras situation?
2. How has Hal been an ally to Burnham throughout the story?
3. How does Burnham's distraction with his personal life work to Ivy's advantage?
4. What is Burnham's ironic thought about Sarah after he solves the crisis with Toddy?
5. Describe why Burnham is not fired after that first meeting with the President.
6. How does Pym know that Teal appreciates the information he has given him?
7. Describe Burnham's feelings when the President informs him he is to write his memoirs.
8. What occurs in Chapter 8 that lets us know that Burnham is definitely "in" with the President?
9. What does Eva learn about herself after Louise's arrest with Mengele?
10. What was in the courier bag from Teal that alarmed Pym?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eva had a colorful political life in her younger years, ending with her eventually being arrested for intending to blow up the Glen Canyon Dam.
1) How does this effect Eva's relationship to Pym?
2) Do Eva and Burnham have anything in common politically? Cite examples from the book.
3) What do you think Eva will do when she doesn't have to be a spy anymore?
Essay Topic 2
Does the President have any strong political beliefs?
1) How do these beliefs get expressed in the plot?
2) How does Burnham influence the President? Cite 3 examples from the text.
3) Why do you think the President wants Burnham's advice?
Essay Topic 3
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)