|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he leaves Burnham and Sarah in the Basement of the "Y", where does Hal go?
2. What does Pym mean when he told Eva the Soviets may dump them?
3. What does Eva say about Burnham being in love with her?
4. When he leaves the basement of the "Y", where does Burnham go?
5. Who does Burnham call from Dyanna's desk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the first person Burnham wants to call from his new office?
2. How does Burnham's distraction with his personal life work to Ivy's advantage?
3. What was in the courier bag from Teal that alarmed Pym?
4. What does Dyanna find out at lunch with Connie and Dolores?
5. Describe Burnham's feelings when the President informs him he is to write his memoirs.
6. What gives Burnham the courage to tell Eva he has put her under investigation by the FBI?
7. What does Burnham do after he steals the tapes he needs to blackmail Epstein?
8. How has Hal been an ally to Burnham throughout the story?
9. Why will Burnham not turn Eva in after she confessed she was a spy?
10. What does Burnham realize after the ordeal of his first Cabinet meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Burnham understands that the ship in the harbor in Havana was the Bilitis, he asks for an hour to get the situation under control.
1) How does he know he can handle this situation?
2) What do you think his motivations are? Does this have anything to do with wanting to defy Epstein?
3) What, in your opinion, is the significance of Toddy being a transsexual?
Essay Topic 2
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does anything Pym ever threaten or convince Eva of ever come true? Use examples from the text.
1) Does Eva enjoy living with Pym? Explain.
2) Is Eva interested in the Soviet Union?
3) Do you think Eva's relationship with Pym is helpful to her? Why or why not?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)