|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the "Burnham Memo" that Burnham finds in Epsteins office say?
2. What is the last item on the table from the envelope Teal had sent to Pym?
3. What does Eva say about Burnham being in love with her?
4. What does the President like about Burnham's suggestion on the invasion?
5. What does Eva notice about Burnham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was in the courier bag from Teal that alarmed Pym?
2. Why will Burnham not turn Eva in after she confessed she was a spy?
3. What is Pym relieved about when he called Teal?
4. How does Pym know that Teal appreciates the information he has given him?
5. How does the President explain Burnham to the press?
6. What does Burnham do after he steals the tapes he needs to blackmail Epstein?
7. What thoughts does Burnham have about his motivations for kissing Dyanna?
8. Considering the development of Burnham's relationship to the President throughout the book, how has Burnham influenced American Foreign Policy?
9. Why does Eva say that the President might have really loved Burnham?
10. What does Eva think of Burnham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Burnham's relationship with Eva cause him to lose his job? Explain using examples from the text.
1) Did Eva care about what Burnham does for a living?
2) Did Eva enjoy spying on Burnham?
3) Does Eva help Burnham? How?
Essay Topic 2
Burnham always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Through a series of semi-comical events, his career as a speech writer causes him to become the President's right hand man.
Part 1) What role does Dyanna play in Burnham's success and what is she motivated by?
Part 2) Is Burnham interested in being so close to the President and does this change in the course of the book?
Part 3) Who is Burnham's favorite author and how does this influence his advice to the President?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Burnham has control over events in his life? What and how?
1) Has Burnham planned his career as a Presidential speech writer?
2) Does Burnham have any influence over Sarah and his children?
3) Does Burnham intentionally earn the Presidents respect? How? Explain using examples from the text.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)