|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Burnham working on as the story opens?
2. How does Pym get custody of Eva?
3. Where is Epstein's second POTUS. phone located?
4. Who are the two people Ivy sees in the corridor?
5. Burnham's son, Christopher, is reading the horoscope from which magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
2. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
3. What confuses Burnham about his "Q" status?
4. What logic does Louise use to explain selling her baby to Pym?
5. Who is Sonja?
6. What is Pym's intention in giving Ivy the Percodan?
7. How much does Eva know about her father's espionage career?
8. What is Sarah's opinion of Burnham's job?
9. What does Christopher say about Burnham and Sarah?
10. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the President asks Evelyn who Samuel Johnson works for, was he being serious?
1) Who is Samuel Johnson?
2) Do you think he is a wise man?
3) How does Samuel Johnson influence the President?
Essay Topic 2
Eva had a colorful political life in her younger years, ending with her eventually being arrested for intending to blow up the Glen Canyon Dam.
1) How does this effect Eva's relationship to Pym?
2) Do Eva and Burnham have anything in common politically? Cite examples from the book.
3) What do you think Eva will do when she doesn't have to be a spy anymore?
Essay Topic 3
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)