|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he confronts Epstein in the Mess, why does Burnham feel terrific?
2. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
3. Why is Ivy Peniston so upset about Jerome failing typing?
4. What does Ivy bring Mr Pym?
5. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva say that the President might have really loved Burnham?
2. What does Burnham subtly reveal to the President in his letter?
3. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
4. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
5. How does Eva use her knowledge of Burnham's health issues to her advantage?
6. What does Eva learn about herself after Louise's arrest with Mengele?
7. What occurs in Chapter 8 that lets us know that Burnham is definitely "in" with the President?
8. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
9. Who is Sonja?
10. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
Essay Topic 1
What does the President mean at the press conference when he jokes about wishing he could put the First Amendment on hold?
1) What is happening when the President jokes about this?
2) Who is the President speaking to when he makes this joke?
3) From what you know about the President, was there any truth in this statement?
Essay Topic 2
Eva knows a great deal about nutrition. How is she using her knowledge to influence Burnham?
1) How is she controlling what he eats?
2) In your opinion, does she show interest in his consumption out of affection, or is she just doing her job?
3) Which do you think is having more of an effect on Burnham,:the food or the sex? Explain, using three examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does the President have any strong political beliefs?
1) How do these beliefs get expressed in the plot?
2) How does Burnham influence the President? Cite 3 examples from the text.
3) Why do you think the President wants Burnham's advice?
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)