|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Joslin think Ivy Peniston would want to go back to Bermuda?
2. What does the high school building remind Ivy Peniston of?
3. Why does Pym blush when Eva asks why he is interested in the prescription?
4. Why will Mr. Joslin not bend the rules for Jerome?
5. The first morning after Sarah kicked him out and he is having coffee in the Mess, why is Burnham humming when Cobb showed up at his table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What motivates Pym to seek out the Nazi group?
2. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
3. Why is there more status in not wearing a White House pass?
4. Which faction of the political spectrum is Derry leaning towards?
5. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
6. What does Renfro not have a sense of humor about?
7. Describe the economic situation in the Soviet Union during the war.
8. Describe the meeting between Ivy Peniston and Luther Joslin.
9. What is Burnham feeling when he gets home?
10. What confuses Burnham about his "Q" status?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah appears to have some very strong principles, and uses this as a reason for kicking Burnham out of the house.
Part 1) What are Sarah's complaints about Burnham?
Part 2) Do you think Sarah was being fair in her accusations?
Part 3) Does it seem to you that Sarah's friend, Sonja, was influencing her, as Burnham believed she was? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the animosity between the NSC and the CIA.
1) How does this compromise the President's safety?
2) How does this help Burnham with his relationship with the President?
3) What is the truth about the pasha of Banda?
Essay Topic 3
Does the President have any strong political beliefs?
1) How do these beliefs get expressed in the plot?
2) How does Burnham influence the President? Cite 3 examples from the text.
3) Why do you think the President wants Burnham's advice?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)