|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose speech does Burnham hear while at college in 1960?
2. Why does Mr. Joslin think that Jerome failed typing?
3. How does Eva know so much about vitamins?
4. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
5. What does Burnham want Mr. Renfro to explain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What logic does Louise use to explain selling her baby to Pym?
2. What is Pym's intention in giving Ivy the Percodan?
3. What manner of relationship does Ivy have with Mr. Pym?
4. Why is there more status in not wearing a White House pass?
5. Describe Timothy Burnham's job.
6. Who is Sonja?
7. What is Burnham's health like?
8. What motivates Pym to seek out the Nazi group?
9. What is the President in the process of doing to Burnham before he suddenly has a change of heart?
10. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sarah appears to have some very strong principles, and uses this as a reason for kicking Burnham out of the house.
Part 1) What are Sarah's complaints about Burnham?
Part 2) Do you think Sarah was being fair in her accusations?
Part 3) Does it seem to you that Sarah's friend, Sonja, was influencing her, as Burnham believed she was? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Timothy Burnham's wife, Sarah, believes he is an unprincipled man.
Part 1) Would you agree with this opinion of Burnham?
Part 2) Why or why not? Provide some examples from the text supporting your point of view.
Part 3) Did your opinion of Burnham change as the book progressed? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Pym meets with Teal at the bar,he is not impressed. Not only does he dislike Teal, but he has a deep mistrust of him.
1) In your opinion, what does this mistrust foreshadow?
2) What has Teal said to Pym that caused him to lose his temper?
3 )What is Pym thinking that Teal might do to him because he lost his temper?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)