|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Pym promise to give Ivy before she leaves?
2. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
3. What is "the boom factor" ?
4. Burnham believes he is allergic to what?
5. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Pym know that Teal appreciates the information he has given him?
2. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
3. Describe the meeting between Ivy Peniston and Luther Joslin.
4. What is the President in the process of doing to Burnham before he suddenly has a change of heart?
5. Why does Eva say that the President might have really loved Burnham?
6. How does Burnham handle the situation after he finds out the truth about the pasha?
7. Who is the first person Burnham wants to call from his new office?
8. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
9. What does Dyanna find out at lunch with Connie and Dolores?
10. What is the topic of the meeting that Burnham attends with the President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Pym meets with Teal at the bar,he is not impressed. Not only does he dislike Teal, but he has a deep mistrust of him.
1) In your opinion, what does this mistrust foreshadow?
2) What has Teal said to Pym that caused him to lose his temper?
3 )What is Pym thinking that Teal might do to him because he lost his temper?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Burnham has control over events in his life? What and how?
1) Has Burnham planned his career as a Presidential speech writer?
2) Does Burnham have any influence over Sarah and his children?
3) Does Burnham intentionally earn the Presidents respect? How? Explain using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Dyanna's takes her position as Burnham's secretary very seriously.
1) What are Dyanna's personal circumstances?
2) What motivates Dyanna to help Burnham be successful?
3) Do you think Burnham is attracted to Dyanna? Explain using examples from the book.
This section contains 1,803 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)