|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burnham find out about the pasha of Banda?
2. What is removed from the basement of the West wing in order to make space for Warner Cobb's office?
3. How much does Pym pay Louise to divorce him?
4. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
5. What sort of meeting does Pym meet Louise at?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confuses Burnham about his "Q" status?
2. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
3. What does Renfro not have a sense of humor about?
4. What is Pym's intention in giving Ivy the Percodan?
5. Describe Ivy's understanding of Pym.
6. How much does Eva know about her father's espionage career?
7. Describe the meeting between Ivy Peniston and Luther Joslin.
8. Describe the economic situation in the Soviet Union during the war.
9. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
10. What does Christopher say about Burnham and Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Timothy Burnham's wife, Sarah, believes he is an unprincipled man.
Part 1) Would you agree with this opinion of Burnham?
Part 2) Why or why not? Provide some examples from the text supporting your point of view.
Part 3) Did your opinion of Burnham change as the book progressed? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Burnham has control over events in his life? What and how?
1) Has Burnham planned his career as a Presidential speech writer?
2) Does Burnham have any influence over Sarah and his children?
3) Does Burnham intentionally earn the Presidents respect? How? Explain using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Burnham always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Through a series of semi-comical events, his career as a speech writer causes him to become the President's right hand man.
Part 1) What role does Dyanna play in Burnham's success and what is she motivated by?
Part 2) Is Burnham interested in being so close to the President and does this change in the course of the book?
Part 3) Who is Burnham's favorite author and how does this influence his advice to the President?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)