|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Burnham getting "Q" Clearance?
2. How long has it been since Burnham had a drink?
3. What is Pinsky terrified of in Annapolis?
4. What does Mr. Renfro bring to Burnham's office?
5. What sort of meeting does Pym meet Louise at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pym choose catering as a business?
2. What manner of relationship does Ivy have with Mr. Pym?
3. What is Pym's intention in giving Ivy the Percodan?
4. What discovery enables the pasha of Banda to finance his sadistic regime?
5. Describe Ivy's understanding of Pym.
6. What confuses Burnham about his "Q" status?
7. What does Renfro not have a sense of humor about?
8. How much does Eva know about her father's espionage career?
9. Describe the economic situation in the Soviet Union during the war.
10. Describe Timothy Burnham's job.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Burnham's relationship with Eva cause him to lose his job? Explain using examples from the text.
1) Did Eva care about what Burnham does for a living?
2) Did Eva enjoy spying on Burnham?
3) Does Eva help Burnham? How?
Essay Topic 2
Burnham always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Through a series of semi-comical events, his career as a speech writer causes him to become the President's right hand man.
Part 1) What role does Dyanna play in Burnham's success and what is she motivated by?
Part 2) Is Burnham interested in being so close to the President and does this change in the course of the book?
Part 3) Who is Burnham's favorite author and how does this influence his advice to the President?
Essay Topic 3
When the President asks Evelyn who Samuel Johnson works for, was he being serious?
1) Who is Samuel Johnson?
2) Do you think he is a wise man?
3) How does Samuel Johnson influence the President?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)