|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
2. According to this book, what is the unemployment rate for black males in Washington DC at the time?
3. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
4. Burnham's wife, Sarah, says that Derry's pubescent radicalism was due to what?
5. What sort of meeting does Pym meet Louise at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Timothy Burnham's job.
2. What is Burnham feeling when he gets home?
3. What discovery enables the pasha of Banda to finance his sadistic regime?
4. How does Burnham handle the situation after he finds out the truth about the pasha?
5. Describe the economic situation in the Soviet Union during the war.
6. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
7. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
8. Which faction of the political spectrum is Derry leaning towards?
9. What motivates Pym to seek out the Nazi group?
10. What logic does Louise use to explain selling her baby to Pym?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the President asks Evelyn who Samuel Johnson works for, was he being serious?
1) Who is Samuel Johnson?
2) Do you think he is a wise man?
3) How does Samuel Johnson influence the President?
Essay Topic 2
Timothy Burnham's wife, Sarah, believes he is an unprincipled man.
Part 1) Would you agree with this opinion of Burnham?
Part 2) Why or why not? Provide some examples from the text supporting your point of view.
Part 3) Did your opinion of Burnham change as the book progressed? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Hal proves to be an important ally to Eva and Burnham throughout the story.
1) What motivates Hal to be so helpful?
2) Does Hal have any family or friends that we know about?
3) Does it surprise you that Hal is able to talk to Epstein?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)