|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
2. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
3. Why is Burnham getting "Q" Clearance?
4. Why is Mr. Pym interested in Ivy?
5. Where does Ivy Peniston get the idea that Jerome could cheat on his typing test?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Ivy Peniston and Luther Joslin.
2. What is the President in the process of doing to Burnham before he suddenly has a change of heart?
3. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
4. How does Burnham handle the situation after he finds out the truth about the pasha?
5. What manner of relationship does Ivy have with Mr. Pym?
6. What is Sarah's opinion of Burnham's job?
7. Why does Pym choose catering as a business?
8. Why is there more status in not wearing a White House pass?
9. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
10. What discovery enables the pasha of Banda to finance his sadistic regime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does the President have any strong political beliefs?
1) How do these beliefs get expressed in the plot?
2) How does Burnham influence the President? Cite 3 examples from the text.
3) Why do you think the President wants Burnham's advice?
Essay Topic 2
Eva had a colorful political life in her younger years, ending with her eventually being arrested for intending to blow up the Glen Canyon Dam.
1) How does this effect Eva's relationship to Pym?
2) Do Eva and Burnham have anything in common politically? Cite examples from the book.
3) What do you think Eva will do when she doesn't have to be a spy anymore?
Essay Topic 3
When Burnham understands that the ship in the harbor in Havana was the Bilitis, he asks for an hour to get the situation under control.
1) How does he know he can handle this situation?
2) What do you think his motivations are? Does this have anything to do with wanting to defy Epstein?
3) What, in your opinion, is the significance of Toddy being a transsexual?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)