Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he confronts Epstein in the Mess, why does Burnham feel terrific?
2. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
3. Why is Ivy Peniston so upset about Jerome failing typing?
4. What does Ivy bring Mr Pym?
5. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva say that the President might have really loved Burnham?
2. What does Burnham subtly reveal to the President in his letter?
3. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
4. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
5. How does Eva use her knowledge of Burnham's health issues to her advantage?
6. What does Eva learn about herself after Louise's arrest with Mengele?
7. What occurs in Chapter 8 that lets us know that Burnham is definitely "in" with the President?
8. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
9. Who is Sonja?
10. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Mengele's and Louise's arrest?
1) What does this mean for Pym?
2) What does this mean for Eva?
3) Does this event affect the espionage activities? Explain using examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
How would you describe the tension between Burnham and Epstein?
1) Does the President like Epstein? Explain using examples from the book.
2) Does Burnham like Epstein? Explain using examples from the book.
3) How is Epstein's job different than Burnham's?
Essay Topic 3
Hal proves to be an important ally to Eva and Burnham throughout the story.
1) What motivates Hal to be so helpful?
2) Does Hal have any family or friends that we know about?
3) Does it surprise you that Hal is able to talk to Epstein?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)