Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he confronts Epstein in the Mess, why does Burnham feel terrific?
2. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
3. Why is Ivy Peniston so upset about Jerome failing typing?
4. What does Ivy bring Mr Pym?
5. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eva say that the President might have really loved Burnham?
2. What does Burnham subtly reveal to the President in his letter?
3. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
4. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
5. How does Eva use her knowledge of Burnham's health issues to her advantage?
6. What does Eva learn about herself after Louise's arrest with Mengele?
7. What occurs in Chapter 8 that lets us know that Burnham is definitely "in" with the President?
8. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
9. Who is Sonja?
10. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
Do you think that Burnham has control over events in his life? What and how?
1) Has Burnham planned his career as a Presidential speech writer?
2) Does Burnham have any influence over Sarah and his children?
3) Does Burnham intentionally earn the Presidents respect? How? Explain using examples from the text.
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
Sarah appears to have some very strong principles, and uses this as a reason for kicking Burnham out of the house.
Part 1) What are Sarah's complaints about Burnham?
Part 2) Do you think Sarah was being fair in her accusations?
Part 3) Does it seem to you that Sarah's friend, Sonja, was influencing her, as Burnham believed she was? Explain, using examples from the book.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)