|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Renfro bring to Burnham's office?
2. What is Mr Renfro's last comment to Burnham?
3. Why does Pym want to go for a walk with Eva?
4. How does the President feel about Epstein?
5. Who's personal chef has Dickinson been?
Short Essay Questions
1. What manner of relationship does Ivy have with Mr. Pym?
2. How does Pym know that Teal appreciates the information he has given him?
3. What gives Burnham the courage to tell Eva he has put her under investigation by the FBI?
4. What does the President appreciate most about Burnham?
5. Describe why Burnham is not fired after that first meeting with the President.
6. How does the President explain Burnham to the press?
7. Is it surprising that the couple in the car Burnham saw on his way into the apartment turn out to be working for Epstein?
8. Why is Burnham feeling proud after the President's speech on the Honduras situation?
9. What does Burnham do after he steals the tapes he needs to blackmail Epstein?
10. Why has Epstein turned down the job he was originally offered by the President who was then still a Senator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pym's espionage career made him resourceful and ruthless. He had, however, some moments throughout the story that showed him to be emotional and in the end, he chose rebellion rather than compliance.
Part 1) Describe Pyms life as a young man in the Soviet Union.
Part 2) Describe how Pym built up his identity as an American.
Part 3) What is Pym"s attitude towards Eva? Explain, using examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Does anything Pym ever threaten or convince Eva of ever come true? Use examples from the text.
1) Does Eva enjoy living with Pym? Explain.
2) Is Eva interested in the Soviet Union?
3) Do you think Eva's relationship with Pym is helpful to her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What does the President mean at the press conference when he jokes about wishing he could put the First Amendment on hold?
1) What is happening when the President jokes about this?
2) Who is the President speaking to when he makes this joke?
3) From what you know about the President, was there any truth in this statement?
This section contains 1,830 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)